WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bridgeport

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
A good friend of mine is buying a boat with an '87 Bridgeport (carbed) and was asking me what mix ratio to use.
I've seen as many recommendations for 40.1 as 32.1.
What is the opinion here? Also, is there a better oil to use in a Bridgeport than the Merc. Premium Plus?

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
If the motor is stock then 40:1 will be fine, if it has been ported and running shaved heads for more compression then 32:1 would be better. The merc oil is OK but if it were me I would run a fully synthetic like Motul, Klotz, etc. Much less smoke at idle and less chance of fouling plugs.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
If the motor is stock then 40:1 will be fine, if it has been ported and running shaved heads for more compression then 32:1 would be better. The merc oil is OK but if it were me I would run a fully synthetic like Motul, Klotz, etc. Much less smoke at idle and less chance of fouling plugs.

I haven't seen the motor and don't know anything about possible mods but I loaned my friend a comp. gauge and he read 140 PSI across all 6. Possibly shaved heads.
Thanks for the info on the Motul/Klotz.

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Under 7000rpm, 40:1, over 7000rpm, 32:1. I ran Merc Hi Perf synthetic and Pennzoil synthetic in my hot rod motors.

Chances are he will turn it under 7000rpm. Those motors made peak power about there.