WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bridging an Amp ?

farmo83

Reaction score
I am not an audio guy

I have 4 6x9's running off a 1000W 4 channel Boss amplifier. I added a dedicated audio battery to the boat over the winter. I have a spot for a sub the previous owner took out that I never have replaced due to battery concerns. As battery isn't a concern anymore I'd like to add a sub back to the boat and would think my amp has plenty of juice to run everything. I've read about bridging my speakers together and assume I could then just use 1 channel for the sub? Is this something that is doable and more so adviseable? I don't want to burn anything up or melt it down.

Good Stuff

Reaction score
I am not an audio guy

I have 4 6x9's running off a 1000W 4 channel Boss amplifier. I added a dedicated audio battery to the boat over the winter. I have a spot for a sub the previous owner took out that I never have replaced due to battery concerns. As battery isn't a concern anymore I'd like to add a sub back to the boat and would think my amp has plenty of juice to run everything. I've read about bridging my speakers together and assume I could then just use 1 channel for the sub? Is this something that is doable and more so adviseable? I don't want to burn anything up or melt it down.
Amp would need to be bridgeable. Most bridgeable amps would have a designated 2 channels that could be bridged and you're probably better off adding a separate sub amp. Need to filter the highs out of the sub and most amps I’ve dealt with can’t allow full sound through part and filtered through the other part. It’s been a while since I’ve messed with my own stuff and I always ran a separate amp for the sub.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Bridging would be bringing 2 channels together to create a higher output. In your case, you would be trying to run all (4) 6x9's on two channels, and bridging the other two channels to run the sub, that wouldn't work well, I would suggest a separate amp for the sub.