WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bringing employees back.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Here is a clipping from an article in today's WSJ. We are seeing the same thing here at our business in CA, trying to call back some employees:

<<
My company works with local chefs to open and operate their restaurants. We are currently a partner in more than 20 of them. We closed our dining rooms March 15, two days before the governor mandated we do so, and had to lay off some 700 employees. We are doing our best to stay alive by providing takeout and delivery service at about half our restaurants. Our goal is to survive until we are allowed to reopen.

Although our limited operations leave us at only 30% of our usual revenue, takeout and delivery has worked better than expected at most locations. After two weeks of getting the systems in place and understanding the challenges of a different business model, we realized that we needed to hire back some of our staff to help with the demand. That proved harder than we expected.

We started making the calls last week, just as our furloughed employees began receiving weekly Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation checks of $600 under the Cares Act. When we asked our employees to come back, almost all said, “No thanks.” If they return to work, they’ll have to take a pay cut.

The starting wage for a line cook in one of our restaurants is $15 an hour. These cooks receive at least $1 an hour in tips, so at a minimum they make $16 an hour, or $640 before taxes for a 40-hour week. The overwhelming majority of our laid-off cooks qualified for Oregon unemployment compensation of 1.25% of their annual gross wages weekly, or $416 in our example. The extra $224 a week provides a strong incentive to return to work.
But as of this week, that same employee receives $1,016 a week, or $376 more than he made as a full time employee. Why on earth would he want to come back to work?

This has had the perverse effect of making it impossible for us to hire enough people even for our limited takeout and delivery business at a time of rapidly rising unemployment. It will be an even bigger problem once we are allowed to reopen our dining rooms. And it will persist at least until July 31, when the unemployment bonus expires. I’d have to offer my cooks $25.40 an hour to match what the government is paying them not to work.
The Trump administration is talking about setting a timeline for when the country can “open for business.” For my business, Congress has already locked down that date. We plan to open our dining rooms on Aug. 1, once the government stops paying people $15 an hour, on top of standard unemployment compensation, to stay home.
>>

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
From what I understand, at least in oregon, as soon as we are opened back up for business, the people on unemployment will have to the old system(which is not required right now with biz shutdown) of proving weekly that you have looked for work and filled out applications. If you dont provide that your benefits will be cancel, if you deny employment, your benefits will be cancelled

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
That's my understanding in CA as well. Easy to tell the unemployment department you are actively looking for work.

From what I understand, at least in oregon, as soon as we are opened back up for business, the people on unemployment will have to the old system(which is not required right now with biz shutdown) of proving weekly that you have looked for work and filled out applications. If you dont provide that your benefits will be cancel, if you deny employment, your benefits will be cancelled

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
When I was in my late teens I collected unemployment, first and only time, I did exactly that..lol

I have been told that now you have to list who or where you applied and more often then not that list will get audited monthly/bi-monthly

Cobalt232

Reaction score
That's my understanding in CA as well. Easy to tell the unemployment department you are actively looking for work.
I think people just respond to online want ads and that counts.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Exactly. The EDD only asks for names and address of jobs you applied for. I've been laid off numerous times in the aircraft industry..

I think people just respond to online want ads and that counts.

Singleton

Reaction score

yep
I know at my wife’s CA company, they have to report daily which team member and date they requested that team member return to work to unemployment department. Company has been told employee will revert back to pre-covid unemployment if they refuse to return to work and in addition is at risk for losing all unemployment benefits.
Only time will tell if this occurs.

This was also a reason certain senators had issues with the bill, gave folks incentives not to return

Last edited:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Every State is a little different. Some States require more weekly searches, some require less. Some ask more details, some do not.
Some States pay more maximum, some less, depends on the pay in rate for that State.
Job search requirements change if you live in one State, but work in another...or several other States. You then combine qualifying quarters into one State...which one depends on the State that will allow it with the least hassle really.

Covid money aside, unemployment is only paid to those who have actually paid into it.
It isn’t welfare, it’s insurance, and you don’t get more than you paid...except right now because of the Covid cash.

Saying that “unemployed” isn’t a real term is pretty damned sanctimonious.

Every single personI know in my industry is currently unemployed. The supervisors that I was calling last month to check in jobs are now unemployed...most of their bosses are now unemployed.
Yes, I can go work in the waterwell industry.
At 58 years old it is NOT an ideal situation.
I can make about 6 figures and I will be lucky to make it 5 years physically. If I do that, they will require a written commitment since my MO has been to bail when oilfield jobs come available.
So...I can collect unemployment for a while and see what happens to make what amounts to my final career decision, or I can follow Looking Glasses theory and take any job available and throw strategy and making the best of my last 5 years of revenue stream out the window.
No thanks, I ain’t applying at Home Depot just yet.
I paid in nearly $14K in unemployment insurance for my qualifying period...and more than double that in the last 2 1/2 years.
So take the holier than thou bullshit and rotate on it. I have no issue getting part of my investment back.

530RL

Reaction score
Snip.......

I paid in nearly $14K in unemployment insurance for my qualifying period...and more than double that in the last 2 1/2 years.
So take the holier than thou bullshit and rotate on it. I have no issue getting part of my investment back.

$28,000 in unemployment insurance over the last 2.5 years means using the Arizona unemployment reserve ratio rate of 2% that you banked $1.4 million in wages over the last 2.5 years.

That is pretty impressive. 👍

C-2

Reaction score
A good friend's wifey works for EDD (my friend previously worked there too) and when this pandemic started going down, adjudication standards were relaxed, as in, unless you stole from your employer, the claim is getting paid. I don't know if they'll have the capacity to scrutinize anything as the months pass by, at least not in the short-term.

I imagine other States followed suit, too.

For Cali EDD - their computer systems are outdated, clunky and are not geared to handle the sudden influx of claims. They can work all they want, but nothing will speed the process up due to technology limitations.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
$28,000 in unemployment insurance over the last 2.5 years means using the Arizona unemployment reserve ratio rate of 2% that you banked $1.4 million in wages over the last 2.5 years.

That is pretty impressive. 👍

I didn’t pay into AZ.
which is one of the lowest rate States.
My qualifying period in the States I did pay into equal $13K and change through only 3 quarters.
I assume that is the deduction? If not, I stand corrected.
I am not an unemployment expert, just a guy near the end of his work career trying to decide what to do.

Last edited:

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
LoL,reminds being discharged from Navy CB,s years ago @ Longbeach,Ca. They instructed everyone sign up for unemployment benefit in California before going home no matter what state home located.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
LoL,reminds being discharged from Navy CB,s years ago @ Longbeach,Ca. They instructed everyone sign up for unemployment benefit in California before going home no matter what state home located.

It took me 3 States to find out where my unemployment had been paid to.
Canadian based Company, US Divisions based in several States, with satellite offices in more States. Lol

jet496

Reaction score
Here is a clipping from an article in today's WSJ. We are seeing the same thing here at our business in CA, trying to call back some employees:

<<
My company works with local chefs to open and operate their restaurants. We are currently a partner in more than 20 of them. We closed our dining rooms March 15, two days before the governor mandated we do so, and had to lay off some 700 employees. We are doing our best to stay alive by providing takeout and delivery service at about half our restaurants. Our goal is to survive until we are allowed to reopen.

Although our limited operations leave us at only 30% of our usual revenue, takeout and delivery has worked better than expected at most locations. After two weeks of getting the systems in place and understanding the challenges of a different business model, we realized that we needed to hire back some of our staff to help with the demand. That proved harder than we expected.

We started making the calls last week, just as our furloughed employees began receiving weekly Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation checks of $600 under the Cares Act. When we asked our employees to come back, almost all said, “No thanks.” If they return to work, they’ll have to take a pay cut.

The starting wage for a line cook in one of our restaurants is $15 an hour. These cooks receive at least $1 an hour in tips, so at a minimum they make $16 an hour, or $640 before taxes for a 40-hour week. The overwhelming majority of our laid-off cooks qualified for Oregon unemployment compensation of 1.25% of their annual gross wages weekly, or $416 in our example. The extra $224 a week provides a strong incentive to return to work.
But as of this week, that same employee receives $1,016 a week, or $376 more than he made as a full time employee. Why on earth would he want to come back to work?

This has had the perverse effect of making it impossible for us to hire enough people even for our limited takeout and delivery business at a time of rapidly rising unemployment. It will be an even bigger problem once we are allowed to reopen our dining rooms. And it will persist at least until July 31, when the unemployment bonus expires. I’d have to offer my cooks $25.40 an hour to match what the government is paying them not to work.
The Trump administration is talking about setting a timeline for when the country can “open for business.” For my business, Congress has already locked down that date. We plan to open our dining rooms on Aug. 1, once the government stops paying people $15 an hour, on top of standard unemployment compensation, to stay home.
>>
Yup, and those lazyass mofos will not have a job when the unemployment runs out.

Buddy of mine owns a big service company & same things happening to him, even after he bent over backwards to figure out ways to get them working. He says they will not have a job when they think they're coming back LOL.

This whole thing is starting to look a little suspicious...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
In my case, I make more working.

Maybe the job search requirements will knock em off the money sooner?

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Yup, and those lazyass mofos will not have a job when the unemployment runs out.

Buddy of mine owns a big service company & same things happening to him, even after he bent over backwards to figure out ways to get them working. He says they will not have a job when they think they're coming back LOL.

This whole thing is starting to look a little suspicious...

I talked to a Great kid at a Walmart today. He dropped what he was doing to help me with a deal. I was kidding him that where is the Suggestion Box and I would "FILL" it with Positive points for him and he laughed. He said there won't be any raises here. Then the subject came up and he said hard not to be disgusted that people on unemployment and all these Extra Payment deals there are many making twice what he does working. He shook his head and Asked, how Stupid am I? I told him that you are doing It Right,and although it does not feel like it,when it comes to talking about this whole "DEAL" you are one of those who can voice your opinion as you did not take the "Chicken Shit" route.

As I was walking away, Honestly I don't know if that is the truth anymore.

SAD!! sure not the way I was raised, My Dad never ever took Any Govt. Farm Program Payments. Right OR Wrong.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I talked to a Great kid at a Walmart today. He dropped what he was doing to help me with a deal. I was kidding him that where is the Suggestion Box and I would "FILL" it with Positive points for him and he laughed. He said there won't be any raises here. Then the subject came up and he said hard not to be disgusted that people on unemployment and all these Extra Payment deals there are many making twice what he does working. He shook his head and Asked, how Stupid am I? I told him that you are doing It Right,and although it does not feel like it,when it comes to talking about this whole "DEAL" you are one of those who can voice your opinion as you did not take the "Chicken Shit" route.

As I was walking away, Honestly I don't know if that is the truth anymore.

SAD!! sure not the way I was raised, My Dad never ever took Any Govt. Farm Program Payments. Right OR Wrong.

Wow...
I really don’t think that ANYONE asked for any of this to happen.
You’re judging a lot of people over actions that haven’t really taken place yet.
What about people like my girl in Kentucky that got sick one week into her new job at Granger distribution, called her Dr after 3 days to get a work release, then got put on a 14 day quarantine instead of being cleared to work. Then got told on day 13 that she did not have a job anymore?
all this after giving a 2 week notice at her last job and doing everything right to advance herself.
I have no doubt, and agree with you, that there is little incentive for a person to go back to work and get less money than the cheese, but not every person that finds themself in this position is a lazy mother fucking worthless fuck head piece of shit as you seem to believe.

Much is made about “taking care of family” on this site.
We can read all day long how this guy and that guy will “do anything to protect and care” for their families. We read how they are prepared to shoot people, prepared to do anything really to “provide” for their families.
I read it with a grain of salt most times because I know that most men do not live an impeccable life.
I try to associate with people that are honest, I don’t have a lot of friends, but the ones I do have are good.
Having said all that rambling, let’s take a hard look at a young man like described above at the Walmart.
he working for min wage. He’s not on unemployment. Maybe he’s new. You can’t draw unemployment without a qualifying period of income and unemployment deductions.
Let’s take a look at a young man who is laid off. Let’s say he has a young wife, and a baby. His choices are these:
1) Puff out his chest and work for $11 an hour or whatever his min wage is. Perhaps deliver food for tips if his original job is not yet back up.

2) Collect twice that amount for 90 days or whatever his qualifying funds allow for...funds that he paid into.

Now I ask you, in the interest of directly “taking care” of his family during a situation that he had NO hand in creating, NO way to predict, and NO idea what the future holds, which route is the BEST way to care for his family during stifling uncertainty?

Minimum wage or $600 + standard unemployment for his State and funds paid in?

He can buy a lot more pampers and ramen with $600 plus a week than with his minimum wage.
I am not going to judge him for that.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Wow...
I really don’t think that ANYONE asked for any of this to happen.
You’re judging a lot of people over actions that haven’t really taken place yet.
What about people like my girl in Kentucky that got sick one week into her new job at Granger distribution, called her Dr after 3 days to get a work release, then got put on a 14 day quarantine instead of being cleared to work. Then got told on day 13 that she did not have a job anymore?
all this after giving a 2 week notice at her last job and doing everything right to advance herself.
I have no doubt, and agree with you, that there is little incentive for a person to go back to work and get less money than the cheese, but not every person that finds themself in this position is a lazy mother fucking worthless fuck head piece of shit as you seem to believe.

Much is made about “taking care of family” on this site.
We can read all day long how this guy and that guy will “do anything to protect and care” for their families. We read how they are prepared to shoot people, prepared to do anything really to “provide” for their families.
I read it with a grain of salt most times because I know that most men do not live an impeccable life.
I try to associate with people that are honest, I don’t have a lot of friends, but the ones I do have are good.
Having said all that rambling, let’s take a hard look at a young man like described above at the Walmart.
he working for min wage. He’s not on unemployment. Maybe he’s new. You can’t draw unemployment without a qualifying period of income and unemployment deductions.
Let’s take a look at a young man who is laid off. Let’s say he has a young wife, and a baby. His choices are these:
1) Puff out his chest and work for $11 an hour or whatever his min wage is. Perhaps deliver food for tips if his original job is not yet back up.

2) Collect twice that amount for 90 days or whatever his qualifying funds allow for...funds that he paid into.

Now I ask you, in the interest of directly “taking care” of his family during a situation that he had NO hand in creating, NO way to predict, and NO idea what the future holds, which route is the BEST way to care for his family during stifling uncertainty?

Minimum wage or $600 + standard unemployment for his State and funds paid in?

He can buy a lot more pampers and ramen with $600 plus a week than with his minimum wage.
I am not going to judge him for that.

WHO IS PAYING THIS BILL?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
WHO IS PAYING THIS BILL?

Depends on where he lives.
$600 is coming out of thin air, like any unsecured loan based on fiat currency.
The rest is coming from his States unemployment funds...that said recipients PAID INTO.

What your missing is that we have a $20 Trillion debt. NO ONE is paying this bill.
Who’s paying for the untold billions for illegals?
Who’s paying for California’s trains?
NO ONE.
Especially now.

Last edited:

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
WHO IS PAYING THIS BILL?

WE ARE! Do you have a job? Do you know how unemployment works? It's not WELFARE, you pay into unemployment every pay check. Have you ever been an EMLPOYER? You would know how unemployment benefits work.

Now, if the person has a chance to work to make enough to support, and decides to stay on unemployment that pretty chickenshit.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
You guys seem to be combining a pandemic situation (real ot not) with multiple and wide ranging judgments on all facets of society.

Not everything happening today is automatically a statement on society as a whole.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
WE ARE! Do you have a job? Do you know how unemployment works? It's not WELFARE, you pay into unemployment every pay check. Have you ever been an EMLPOYER? You would know how unemployment benefits work.

Now, if the person has a chance to work to make enough to support, and decides to stay on unemployment that pretty chickenshit.

Thank You!
Unemployment is not welfare.

Next time anyone here gets in a wreck or gets a windshield replaced for the love of god don’t file an insurance claim...no matter that you paid premiums for that very thing.

You better fix it all straight out of pocket or You’re a lazy piece of shit for using that insurance!
I mean...WHO PAYS THAT BILL?!!!
Lol.

Last edited:

Looking Glass

Reaction score

First of all a couple of weeks ago while Drunk Posting you wer all pissy at me and said to never post or reply to anything you do.

You cried to RD, Shintoo, and Boater Babe about how mean I was to you.

So now, do as you say= BUZZ OFF!!

Now to answer your questions.

Yea I have had a Job,to think of it I have been working since before a Teen.

Have I ever owned a Business, Damn Winner again. I have owned three businesses, and all my Employees were NOT Dead Beat take the Easy Street Bums. They always had a Job,were paid a good salary and always worked.

Now go run along and watch your MMA and keep pounding whiskey.

The Fact you don't understand, the average guy that gets a W-2 and never invests will always be the guy who relies on Unemployment and the Government to bail them out because they don't have two dimes to rub together.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
The Fact you don't understand, the average guy that gets a W-2 and never invests will always be the guy who relies on Unemployment and the Government to bail them out because they don't have two dimes to rub together.

Where are your employees now?
Or are you talking about the young man at Walmart?

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Employees pay into the unemployment coffers?

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
First of all a couple of weeks ago while Drunk Posting you wer all pissy at me and said to never post or reply to anything you do.

You cried to RD, Shintoo, and Boater Babe about how mean I was to you.

So now, do as you say= BUZZ OFF!!

Now to answer your questions.

Yea I have had a Job,to think of it I have been working since before a Teen.

Have I ever owned a Business, Damn Winner again. I have owned three businesses, and all my Employees were NOT Dead Beat take the Easy Street Bums. They always had a Job,were paid a good salary and always worked.

Now go run along and watch your MMA and keep pounding whiskey.

DRUNK POSTING.. LMAO

CRYING TO THE MODS CAUSE YOU WHERE MEAN TO ME.. LMAO that will never happen junior!! I simply asked for MY post to be deleted out of respect for that thread as MY posts tword you where inapplicable to the subject thread!!

When you have some meaningful content to post, instead of a shit talking someone or something, let me know..lol until then, I'll say and respond to WHATEVER I want to! Thanks

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
Employees pay into the unemployment coffers?

Employers do.. at least in oregon.. and that is takin into consideration when a wage is determined for the hired position

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Where are your employees now?
Or are you talking about the young man at Walmart?

I sold my Business several years back,and assume doing fine if still with the Company. The guy at Walmart was NOT bitching just making a statement and asking a question. Why am I beating my head against the wall for shit Wages while others are NOT making any effort to return to work as they could and have been called back. He and I both assume that they are going to Ride it out until out of benefits.

I understand the Unemployment funds that an employee have been paying into for whatever time, but this Extra $600.00 or whatever is Scary as I worry how all this gets paid back. If it is ever planned on being paid back.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Employers do.. at least in oregon.. and that is takin into consideration when a wage is determined for the hired position

There are only three states where employees pay into it, Arkansas, New Jersey and Pennsylvania..............and only in specific situations.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Yep

When I work under 1099 I get that difference (or a good % of it) added in the contract as opposed to W2 work.

Then you deserve it back.

There obviously is a purpose for unemployment benefits and I’m not knocking everyone who receives it. I recently had an employee that quit and filed for unemployment and was pissed off because I told him to go pound sand and EDD agreed. He called me pissed off about it and I told him maybe he should take a look at his check and explain to me where exactly he actually pays into it. He never called me back.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
There are only three states where employees pay into it, Arkansas, New Jersey and Pennsylvania..............and only in specific situations.

Never once did I say that an "employee" pays in out of their check, hence the "have you ever been an employer" comment. But I DO know that is figured in along with employer taxes when a wage is figured for a hired position

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score

There obviously is a purpose for unemployment benefits and I’m not knocking everyone who receives it. I recently had an employee that quit and filed for unemployment and was pissed off because I told him to go pound sand and EDD agreed. He called me pissed off about it and I told him maybe he should take a look at his check and explain to me where exactly he actually pays into it. He never called me back.

I have denied many employee unemployment claims!

I also had a buddy that was granted unemployment benefits after QUITING a job, and pulled them for a few months. A few months after that he got a letter in the mail stating he had to pay it ALL back..lol and I warned him that was going to happen..lol

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I sold my Business several years back,and assume doing fine if still with the Company. The guy at Walmart was NOT bitching just making a statement and asking a question. Why am I beating my head against the wall for shit Wages while others are NOT making any effort to return to work as they could and have been called back. He and I both assume that they are going to Ride it out until out of benefits.

I understand the Unemployment funds that an employee have been paying into for whatever time, but this Extra $600.00 or whatever is Scary as I worry how all this gets paid back. If it is ever planned on being paid back.

The $600 is the caveat. It is the deal changer.
But for Young minimum wage employees it’s a no brainer.
What I think should happen and likely will happen is that the $600 gets cut off sooner rather than later. Like when reopening places of employment really happens.
There is a lot of indecision involved for the typical recipient today.
No one seems to know for sure when their “old job” is going to be available.
Im in the same position, but many times worse since the oilfield is non existent.
If I go water welling, they are going to demand a commitment, and rightly so.
I need to see what happens for a little longer before making a career decision.
The same thing is happening to many people on different levels.
Personally, I hate working W2.
Ive always worked 1099 and paid all my own bonding, health ins, taxes, everything.
But today, right now, I’m glad I was pretty much forced to work W2 for the last 2 1/2 years.

Last edited:

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Never once did I say that an "employee" pays in out of their check, hence the "have you ever been an employer" comment. But I DO know that is figured in along with employer taxes when a wage is figured for a hired position

Wasn’t trying to accuse you of that brother, my bad.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Lol, yep, you can’t just quit and draw “unenjoyment”. (As I’ve heard some free loaders call it)
Although right now I would bet that initial claims are being sparsely reviewed at best.
But that doesn’t mean that claims won’t be halted for some and reimbursement demanded at some point for some recipients.
I haven’t drawn unemployment since I was 25 or so? Over 30 years. I don’t feel guilty drawing it now.
I’m still not technically laid off, but haven’t worked in 85 days.
I send a check in to HR every month to cover my Health care premium.
I Filed 2 weeks ago, after sitting for 2 months.

JUSTWANNARACE

Reaction score
20200423_232059.jpg
20200423_231954.jpg
20200423_232030.jpg

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I work in the aerospace industry and have been laid off numerous times over my career. Each one of those times I tried getting a job at a company outside of the aerospace industry and was told that I was overqualified because of my engineering degree.

Even after explaining that I wanted to get out of the aerospace industry the companies wuld tell me that they know once the aerosapce industry picks up that I would leave.

Unemployed?

I do NOT believe in the term.

If you want to work= There is work.

Today's Society takes the easy way and are raising their kids the same way, Fat, Lazy, Uneducated and happy staying that way.

jet496

Reaction score

Trust me, when the guys that chose unemployment over work start looking for a job again, because their unemployment ran out, employers will check references and notice who took advantage of the dire situation & they will struggle getting a good job.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Lol, yep, you can’t just quit and draw “unenjoyment”. (As I’ve heard some free loaders call it)
Although right now I would bet that initial claims are being sparsely reviewed at best.
But that doesn’t mean that claims won’t be halted for some and reimbursement demanded at some point for some recipients.
I haven’t drawn unemployment since I was 25 or so? Over 30 years. I don’t feel guilty drawing it now.
I’m still not technically laid off, but haven’t worked in 85 days.
I send a check in to HR every month to cover my Health care premium.
I Filed 2 weeks ago, after sitting for 2 months.

I will post one more time then let you people fight it out. The $600.00 could be any figure,because I was and am concerned how all this is going to be repaid. The reliable reporting that Ruth Christ, Shake Shack,harvard and who knows how many others received $20 Million each SERIOUS? who in the Hell is running the money Give Away? They have made many mistakes in who and how much money is THROWN around like a bunch of Drunken Sailors. The Country was Screaing and then Bloind Sided and no matter who was in Office it was going to be a Fact. The Mass Hysteria that happened and continues to happen has caused Very Expensive Mistakes OR Money Grabs. NYC just had to have this or that. Trump did more than necessary to keep those A HOLES happy and now we have a Navy Ship that is near Empty, Ventilators that were necessary only to be sold off. On and On. I have no problem with the Unemployment, but not all this Extra $, times are difficult and That's Life and maybe learn so if there is a next time= Have an Emergency Fund.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
I work in a manufacturing environment in which we are considered essential. But a major portion of our customers are not and therefore they have shut down. We have furloughed 2/3s of our employees. We kept only the best of the most productive.

Of the furloughed I seriously doubt any will be called back. Due to the few times we have needed them for a few days they have all chosen to collect the bigger wage and stay home. (while posting on social media about the "good times and rollin fat")

I cant help but wonder how these people can not see that when it comes time to look for new jobs they will only be one in six million.

On a side note the conspiracy nut inside my head half way believes this is how we are going to bring Back U.S.manufacturing by reducing the number of small businesses and lowering wages by flooding the job market.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Next week we’ll be at 30 million unemployed. Simple math says we’ll either need the most amazing economic recovery on record, or if we’re lucky average the 196,000 new jobs each month that we have for the past year. That will take a mere 153 months of continuous great hiring just to get back to where we were. As well, during this 12.7 years averaging nearly 200,000 new jobs a month, it would assume no one joins the work force. Neither of these assumptions are humanly possible.

Bottom line, we are in the 2nd Great Depression.

All this due to 50,000 Americans tragically dead from a flu, and massive government over reaction and now over reach. Your grand children will ask you how you managed to survive.

And the guy running WHO is a member of his country’s MARXIST party, and an epidemiologist. He’s like a pyro that works at a sprinkler company.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
My thinking is that if this $600 a week plus the qualifying unemployment $ is more than a person makes working, then their job is not a whole bunch above min wage? Maybe I’m wrong.
I’d go back to work the second I got a call, but I make far more working than on unemployment even with the $600.
Also, and I’m not sure how this works, but if employees refuse to come back for a day or 3 that would disqualify them for that claim week IF they are filling out their weekly claims honestly.
I have to do 3 searches a week, which I honestly do...but let’s not kid ourselves. there is ZERO oilfield jobs available, and I’m not required to accept a lesser wage or position than what I had.
Some oilfield guys I know have claimed a “furloughed” status with a projected 90 day return...which would be a miracle lol.
They are not required to do job searches for that 90 days. At least that’s what they are telling me.
Either way, your furloughed workers can not refuse work and receive the full amount of unemployment for that claim period. If they work a day it doesn’t necessarily disqualify the period, it only reduces the amount for that week.
I have to agree with you guys with the $600 making it a no brainer for those working at a low wage. Their UI qualifying amount is likely barely a couple hundred a week on its own.
Arizonas max is only around $250 a week regardless of qualifying amount.
For me it’s just covering bills a little bit until I bite the bullet and decide which route to go.

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
My thinking is that if this $600 a week plus the qualifying unemployment $ is more than a person makes working, then their job is not a whole bunch above min wage? Maybe I’m wrong.
I’d go back to work the second I got a call, but I make far more working than on unemployment even with the $600.
Also, and I’m not sure how this works, but if employees refuse to come back for a day or 3 that would disqualify them for that claim week IF they are filling out their weekly claims honestly.
I have to do 3 searches a week, which I honestly do...but let’s not kid ourselves. there is ZERO oilfield jobs available, and I’m not required to accept a lesser wage or position than what I had.
Some oilfield guys I know have claimed a “furloughed” status with a projected 90 day return...which would be a miracle lol.
They are not required to do job searches for that 90 days. At least that’s what they are telling me.
Either way, your furloughed workers can not refuse work and receive the full amount of unemployment for that claim period. If they work a day it doesn’t necessarily disqualify the period, it only reduces the amount for that week.
I have to agree with you guys with the $600 making it a no brainer for those working at a low wage. Their UI qualifying amount is likely barely a couple hundred a week on its own.
Arizonas max is only around $250 a week regardless of qualifying amount.
For me it’s just covering bills a little bit until I bite the bullet and decide which route to go.
You are not them, you have skills and ambition. They tend to have a job so they can buy weed and have no describable skill set other than the ability to eat and shit. Thinking is optional and sometimes stressful for them, hence the weed.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
You are not them, you have skills and ambition. They tend to have a job so they can buy weed and have no describable skill set other than the ability to eat and shit. Thinking is optional and sometimes stressful for them, hence the weed.

So it’s no great loss to replace them!

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
So it’s no great loss to replace them!
Depends. It’s important for them to continue to buy tons of weed, keeps prices down.

Sadly, we actually need them, and yes I was joking for the most part. The truth is a lot have motivation but no skills to advance, probably more than any of us think, and they are getting screwed by all this.