Bringing some Facebook to Rdp

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
236261416_4482853611773546_2432155990915204498_n.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
During the invasion of Normandy in 1944, the USS Texas was stationed off of Pointe du Hoc. She began her bombardment of the coast in support of the 29th Infantry Division, 2nd, and 5th Ranger Battalions. In 34 minutes, Texas had fired 255 14-inch shells into Pointe du Hoc. Afterwards, with the help of aerial observers, she shifted her main batteries to fire on German reinforcements, artillery batteries, and other strong points. As further allied forces pushed off the beach, Texas moved closer to shore to support them.

Originally stationed 12,000 yards offshore, she moved to just 3,000 yards from the beach. On June 7 and 8, she continued to bombard German positions. Eventually she was forced to return to England to rearm and was stationed off France again on June 11. By June 15 though, allied forces had pushed so far inland that their targets were now out of Texas’ range. In order to fulfill the requested fire missions, Texas’ crew had to get creative.

The ship’s massive 14-inch guns did not have the elevation required to lob their shots as far inland as the invasion forces needed. The crew reasoned that if the guns facing port couldn’t be raised any further, then the starboard side needed to be lowered. The starboard torpedo blister, a sponson on the hull below of the waterline, was then flooded with water. This lifted Texas two degrees to starboard and gave her main batteries just enough elevation to complete the fire mission.

Stay creative, gents.

#zerofoxtrot #stayzero #zulufucxs #dday #ww2
ED41E343-4F98-48BB-8073-0F8AF519F724.jpeg

FRSCKE

Reaction score
How true so true ...

The only thing about removin Biden for incompetency is then we have a Camletoe to deal with...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
[This day in American Indian History] The last American Indian warrior surrenders. For almost 30 years he had fought the whites who invaded his homeland, but Geronimo, the wiliest and most dangerous Apache warrior of his time, finally surrenders in Skeleton Canyon, Arizona, on this day in 1886.

After several years of imprisonment, Geronimo was given his freedom, and he moved to Oklahoma where he converted to Christianity and became a successful farmer. He even occasionally worked as a scout and adviser for the U.S. army. Transformed into a safe and romantic symbol of the already vanishing era of the Wild West, he became a popular celebrity at world’s fairs and expositions and even rode in President Theodore Roosevelt’s inaugural parade in 1905. He died at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, in 1909, still on the federal payroll as an army scout.
680908E3-1F9B-4A93-8222-24A62F7373CC.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score

One very famous act of weapons confiscation required by the City of Tombstone AZ, was of course the shootout at the OK Corral. In this famous example, the city represented by Sheriff Wyatt and two brothers and Doc Holliday did successfully get the Clanton's, McLaury's and Billy Claiborne to relinquish their steel. ☠
Seems many "Wild West" cities required that fire arms be checked. Not in favor, simply find it interesting.

DunePilot

Reaction score
One very famous act of weapons confiscation required by the City of Tombstone AZ, was of course the shootout at the OK Corral. In this famous example, the city represented by Sheriff Wyatt and two brothers and Doc Holliday did successfully get the Clanton's, McLaury's and Billy Claiborne to relinquish their steel. ☠
Seems many "Wild West" cities required that fire arms be checked. Not in favor, simply find it interesting.

Not in favor either - understood.

Many towns at the same time you refer to had no gun control of any kind and never had any problems. It never has been an issue of gun control but, rather, an issue of idiot control.

jailbird141

Reaction score
I am not an expert historian of the "Wild West" by any means. But, I am pretty sure Tombstone did not confiscate weapons unless you violated the ordinance against carrying your weapons within the city. You were still free to own weapons and you were still free to carry weapons, just not carry them within city limits. The law would not confiscate them unless you violated the ordinance.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I am not an expert historian of the "Wild West" by any means. But, I am pretty sure Tombstone did not confiscate weapons unless you violated the ordinance against carrying your weapons within the city. You were still free to own weapons and you were still free to carry weapons, just not carry them within city limits. The law would not confiscate them unless you violated the ordinance.
Within town limits, no guns to be carried...same with Dodge City, and Abilene.
Obviously, gun control failed in Tombstone too. In Prescott, the rules were you had to hang your guns at the door of the saloon...not much better really.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Deputy Marshall Earp.

Sheriff Behan famously feuded with the Earp brothers.

Taboma

Reaction score
Deputy Marshall Earp.

Sheriff Behan famously feuded with the Earp brothers.

All I know is, after growing up watching swashbuckling pirates, dashing cowboys and fierce Indian braves, it was sure disappointing when I finally saw images of the real thing. 🙄🥴

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
All I know is, after growing up watching swashbuckling pirates, dashing cowboys and fierce Indian braves, it was sure disappointing when I finally saw images of the real thing. 🙄🥴
....like Sam Peckinpah westerns?