WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bringing some Facebook to Rdp

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
20210908_155619.jpg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
In the 60s there were way more black owned businesses due to segregation. Also due to democrats...

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Everyone is taking down Confederate shit and it’s the Democrats that are doing it do they do not understand that Confederate is the same as Democrat ? Stupid souls who is going to teach history young kids today have no fucking clue how many people died so they can have freedom 🙁

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
9/3 Today in Florida History from the Florida Historical Society!

1935 – A $5 million allocation for the cross-Florida ship canal was announced by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on this date. The canal would have connected the Atlantic Ocean with the Gulf of Mexico, which proponents argued would cut down on shipping costs and be safer than traveling through the Florida Straits. Although the idea of a cross-peninsular canal was first theorized as early as the sixteenth century, it was not until President Roosevelt allocated funds as an economic recovery project that any real construction began. Almost immediately, however, serious environmental concerns were brought forth. Construction stalled over the course of the next few decades until President Nixon finally halted the project in 1971. Official cancellation occurred in 1991, after $74 million had been spent on the project, which was approximately 28 percent completed by that time. Sections of the canal still exist today, and part of the planned right of way across the state became the Majorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway in 1998, providing natural hiking and biking trails.
B0CE70AF-4565-4F02-ADC2-D87D1713EC4C.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
9/3 Today in Florida History from the Florida Historical Society!

1935 – A $5 million allocation for the cross-Florida ship canal was announced by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on this date. The canal would have connected the Atlantic Ocean with the Gulf of Mexico, which proponents argued would cut down on shipping costs and be safer than traveling through the Florida Straits. Although the idea of a cross-peninsular canal was first theorized as early as the sixteenth century, it was not until President Roosevelt allocated funds as an economic recovery project that any real construction began. Almost immediately, however, serious environmental concerns were brought forth. Construction stalled over the course of the next few decades until President Nixon finally halted the project in 1971. Official cancellation occurred in 1991, after $74 million had been spent on the project, which was approximately 28 percent completed by that time. Sections of the canal still exist today, and part of the planned right of way across the state became the Majorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway in 1998, providing natural hiking and biking trails. View attachment 1047483

One of our notable members is probably glad he's not sharing the St. John's river with tugs pulling and pushing barges.
Red completed, Green non-completed. Not a straight shot across the state by any means.

Cross_Florida_Barge_Canal_ACoE.jpg

boat 569

Reaction score
9/3 Today in Florida History from the Florida Historical Society! We used to hold drag boat races on that canal near crystal river.

1935 – A $5 million allocation for the cross-Florida ship canal was announced by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on this date. The canal would have connected the Atlantic Ocean with the Gulf of Mexico, which proponents argued would cut down on shipping costs and be safer than traveling through the Florida Straits. Although the idea of a cross-peninsular canal was first theorized as early as the sixteenth century, it was not until President Roosevelt allocated funds as an economic recovery project that any real construction began. Almost immediately, however, serious environmental concerns were brought forth. Construction stalled over the course of the next few decades until President Nixon finally halted the project in 1971. Official cancellation occurred in 1991, after $74 million had been spent on the project, which was approximately 28 percent completed by that time. Sections of the canal still exist today, and part of the planned right of way across the state became the Majorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway in 1998, providing natural hiking and biking trails. View attachment 1047483

Tank

Reaction score
One of our notable members is probably glad he's not sharing the St. John's river with tugs pulling and pushing barges.
Red completed, Green non-completed. Not a straight shot across the state by any means.

View attachment 1047516

Kind'a cool project. It wouldn't have been as gnarly as the first drawing Dave posted shows. It was going to use various current lakes and rivers. Too bad they didn't do it actually. The part they did build is pretty freakin big.

Looking east at the entrance of the canal from the Gulf -
canal1.png

Looking out towards the Gulf at the entrance of the canal.
canal2.png

About half way through looking east down the dredged canal.
canal3.png

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score

View attachment 1047516
I did find the opening to that “canal” there’s a lock to go through, and then it just goes straight to nowhere. 🤣 it’s ~18-20 miles north from me, or down river.

Taboma

Reaction score
I did find the opening to that “canal” there’s a lock to go through, and then it just goes straight to nowhere. 🤣 it’s ~18-20 miles north from me, or down river.

Speed Alley ? I'd imagine it's perfect for that. Interesting that they still man the locks for the canal to nowhere. 😁

DunePilot

Reaction score
That needs to go on top of a burger or be put inside a pancake

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reminds me of my Dad putting bacon slices in waffles on Sunday mornings. First a little batter, then some bacon, then more batter. The smell was heaven. Gotta go find my waffle maker...