WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bringing some Facebook to Rdp

73beast

Reaction score
1631360890063-png.277067

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
If the Amish can’t use a car or truck, how can they use a motorized boat?

It is strange. We have some around here. They built my shop. Correct they aren't allowed to drive, but they have trucks and they hire drivers. They also, don't have electricity running to their houses, but have a few generators running 24/7. Asked them about it and they said they aren't allowed to do business with the government or something like that.

Taboma

Reaction score
It is strange. We have some around here. They built my shop. Correct they aren't allowed to drive, but they have trucks and they hire drivers. They also, don't have electricity running to their houses, but have a few generators running 24/7. Asked them about it and they said they aren't allowed to do business with the government or something like that.

Did they use hand saws and augers for building your shop ? You ever pass inspection and get the gov't powered lights on ? 😁

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When I was in PA years back I talked to some younger ones (No beards). They told me they could have generators, but not be on the grid. Something about being controlled by others, like the government, was not allowed. We have some Mennonite's out here, "Amish Light" I call them. No electrical stuff allowed in family rooms or bedrooms, but a few have a TV and a computer in the basement...and they drive.

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
When I was in PA years back I talked to some younger ones (No beards). They told me they could have generators, but not be on the grid. Something about being controlled by others, like the government, was not allowed. We have some Mennonite's out here, "Amish Light" I call them. No electrical stuff allowed in family rooms or bedrooms, but a few have a TV and a computer in the basement...and they drive.
Having talked to many, including some who have "jumped the fence", the rules of don'ts are not always universal. Each district or bishop can set up rules or variables.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not in Hawaii. They don’t want you to take your mask off until you are actively eating and drinking. Then you can put it back on. SMH Went out Friday night for dinner and the amount of people here masking up is crazy. I need to get to AZ stat!!!!
We have a few more masking up around here. It's turned into a mini-Cali in the past two years...more Cali plates everyday it seems. The only difference is they aren't very brazen with mask shaming...still outnumbered. You can tell the newbies...retirement aged, mask on, new Glock and holster, and they live in the newer tracts closer into town.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Did they use hand saws and augers for building your shop ? You ever pass inspection and get the gov't powered lights on ? 😁
Sorry I didn't update you. Yes I got power at the end of June.

No they used power tools. Generator in their trailer running the whole time to charge batteries. It is weird with the drivers. The ones I have seen don't work at the job site. Just sit around waiting to drive.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I was an aerospace machinist and you should have seen some of the parts the engineers wanted made... some were physically impossible to make to there blue print.

I mentored for a FIRST Robotics team, that had a bunch of Engineers also mentoring. Had one ask a kid to drill a pair 1.5" holes in some 1/8" aluminum stock (drill press, and holesaw) and gave him measurements to the .001 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had said engineer try it;). He understood after the 1st hole.

DunePilot

Reaction score
Motor homes are the worst. Had a leak under the kitchen sink. After years of messing with it I finally pulled out all the shelving etc and crawled in - you could not tighten the cold without loosening the hot and vice versa - the fittings were too close and turning against each other - you thought that you had both fittings tight but you didn't know by feel that the other was being turned the wrong way at the same time. All the installer had to do was pull the supply lines apart about 3/8" inch - geez.

FRSCKE

Reaction score
I mentored for a FIRST Robotics team, that had a bunch of Engineers also mentoring. Had one ask a kid to drill a pair 1.5" holes in some 1/8" aluminum stock (drill press, and holesaw) and gave him measurements to the .001 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had said engineer try it;). He understood after the 1st hole.

.001 is easy .. drill just undersize and then use a boring head. Its when we had to get to size within .0001 and .00005 those were kinda tough tolerances.

You want it right or right now cant have both ...

4Waters

Reaction score