WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Broken Bow Lake Vacation

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
We decided to fly to Dallas and join our family on a vacation to Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma. The timing for me was great as the past 4 months have been challenging. I’ve been off work and with no start date on the horizon and then my father was diagnosed with cancer - he passed away about a month ago after only 5 weeks. I sold my Conquest last week and the Havasu house goes on the market today. So the escape was timely!

On to the real point of the story, Broken Bow is beautiful. The crazy thing is that with all of the huge trees, you really feel like you’re up in the mountains but the elevation is under 500 feet.

The cabin we rented was pretty spectacular. It was virtually brand new and slept 27. With just 14 of us, we have plenty of room. The 2 covered hot tubs were a bonus too.

IMG_9126.jpg

I rented a pontoon for the day so we could explore the lake and tow the kids. The lake is very picturesque and is about 22 miles in length. They don’t allow cabins within view of the water, or at least I didn’t see any. I’m told the fishing is very good too.

Today the forecast is for possible thunderstorms so the brisket we started smoking last night along with the bourbon we bought yesterday at the Hochatown Distilling Co. will be a great combination.

All this to say that Broken Bow Lake is a nice boating option if you’re ever in the area.
IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9118.jpg

IMG_9119.jpg

IMG_9116.jpg

IMG_9120.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_9122.jpg

IMG_9123.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
RIP to your father.
Looks like the family had a great time and celebrated the passing of grandpa together as one.
Something makes me believe, your dad looking down loved seeing that!

I believe that to be true!

Reactions: DWC

RedSoloCup

Reaction score
We live in the DFW area and been to Broken Bow a few times. Looks like a great house. How was the bourbon, last time we were there they did not have it ready. We are cancelling our extended family Christmas Trip to Cabo and Broken Bow is in the conversation. Do you have a link to the house? You might take the wife to "girls gone wine". Abendigo's is great for a fancier meal, the shrimp and grits is great and so is the chicken fried steak. We had a good time at Mountain Fork Brewery, and also liked the pizza at Greatful Head Pizza. Enjoy your time in Oklabama, and keep us updated.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I had a customer in Broken Bow. The place is absolutely gorgeous. Didn't think I'd ever see it here! Good luck with all you are dealing with. Glad you had some getaway time!

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Beautiful place. I wouldn’t have guessed that to be Oklahoma. Amazing cabin. Looks like you traded one happiest place on earth for another. Thanks for sharing. 👍

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
We live in the DFW area and been to Broken Bow a few times. Looks like a great house. How was the bourbon, last time we were there they did not have it ready. We are cancelling our extended family Christmas Trip to Cabo and Broken Bow is in the conversation. Do you have a link to the house? You might take the wife to "girls gone wine". Abendigo's is great for a fancier meal, the shrimp and grits is great and so is the chicken fried steak. We had a good time at Mountain Fork Brewery, and also liked the pizza at Greatful Head Pizza. Enjoy your time in Oklabama, and keep us updated.

There were 3 of us that went to the distillery and we all really liked the bourbon. They can’t sell it on premise but can in town. It goes for $45. I heard great things about Abendigo’s and we almost made it there last night. We did hit Grateful Head a couple days ago and enjoyed it. I’m sure the girls would like “Girls Gone Wine”.

You can search the cabin by it’s name “Eagle Creek Cabin”. Depending on the time of year, it’s @$800 per night. We checked to see if Thanksgiving and Christmas were open but they’re booked already.

We’re looking at selling in CA and moving to Midlothian. And my BIL is looking at cabins in Broken Bow. Could be a nice quality of life.

She's Mine

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your father. God speed to him.

Looks like you are doing it the right way bud. Enjoy your family and this beautiful vacation. Send more pics please!

Hammer

Reaction score
RIP to your father. My condolences

The cabin looks amazing, I hope your vacation gives you time to reflect on the good times! It sure looks like it..

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sorry about your dad. :(

That place looks amazing! I see the fire place is on in a couple of pics?? Is it actually cold there right now???

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear about your Dad's passing. Looks like you're making the best of bad situation. And you're doing it with family. All the better. Enjoy!

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Sorry about your dad. :(

That place looks amazing! I see the fire place is on in a couple of pics?? Is it actually cold there right now???

That was for the photo op[emoji23]
It been low 90’s. Today we have the possibility of thunderstorms and it’s only low 80’s.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Condolences on your father's passing.
That part of our state along with East Texas is has some beautiful areas.
Been a few years, but I really want to take the small boat and visit again.
Take care.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about you’re dad, happy you were able to get away and enjoy time with the family.

hawgty55

Reaction score
Headed there next month for some days before school starts. People here at work talk about it highly and cant really go wrong with any of the rentals. Maybe @RedSoloCup and i can finally meetup either there or Cabo. There both on our list aswell!

TBulger

Reaction score
So sorry to here about dad, may he rest in peace. Geez, I don't think I've ever been in a place that nice. Have a wonder time, they seem to be in short supply lately.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
You doing any fishing there?
I’m in Dallas, never been but heard from many that have. Fishing is good/great, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass, white bass, crappie, catfish, even walleye. Plus, below the dam in the river is a really good rainbow trout fishery that’s stocked yearly, it has a great reputation for being so far south, like the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake in New Braunfels, TX. My BIL takes his son to Broken Bow from Dallas below the dam to fly fish for rainbow trout every year.

I know there are other cabins above the lake. The OP’s rental is the nicest one I’ve ever heard of there.

37 boat

Reaction score
I’m in Dallas, never been but heard from many that have. Fishing is good/great, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass, white bass, crappie, catfish, even walleye. Plus, below the dam in the river is a really good rainbow trout fishery that’s stocked yearly, it has a great reputation for being so far south, like the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake in New Braunfels, TX. My BIL takes his son to Broken Bow from Dallas below the dam to fly fish for rainbow trout every year.

I know there are other cabins above the lake. The OP’s rental is the nicest one I’ve
We decided to fly to Dallas and join our family on a vacation to Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma. The timing for me was great as the past 4 months have been challenging. I’ve been off work and with no start date on the horizon and then my father was diagnosed with cancer - he passed away about a month ago after only 5 weeks. I sold my Conquest last week and the Havasu house goes on the market today. So the escape was timely!

On to the real point of the story, Broken Bow is beautiful. The crazy thing is that with all of the huge trees, you really feel like you’re up in the mountains but the elevation is under 500 feet.

The cabin we rented was pretty spectacular. It was virtually brand new and slept 27. With just 14 of us, we have plenty of room. The 2 covered hot tubs were a bonus too.

View attachment 901225

I rented a pontoon for the day so we could explore the lake and tow the kids. The lake is very picturesque and is about 22 miles in length. They don’t allow cabins within view of the water, or at least I didn’t see any. I’m told the fishing is very good too.

Today the forecast is for possible thunderstorms so the brisket we started smoking last night along with the bourbon we bought yesterday at the Hochatown Distilling Co. will be a great combination.

All this to say that Broken Bow Lake is a nice boating option if you’re ever in the area. View attachment 901226
View attachment 901227
View attachment 901228
View attachment 901229
View attachment 901230
View attachment 901231
View attachment 901232
View attachment 901233
View attachment 901235
View attachment 901236
View attachment 901237
View attachment 901238
View attachment 901239
View attachment 901240
View attachment 901241
View attachment 901242
View attachment 901243
View attachment 901244

Hey Kurt, I,m very sorry to hear about your Dad. I wish you a happy retirement...looks like you're off to a great start 👍.

P.S. I'm really sorry I missed the chance at your Conquest :(.
Randy

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
My condolences to you and your family. This is a great way to celebrate his life. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. The place looks badass! My sister lives in Allen TX. They would probably love this lake.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
A very cool and introspective thread. I’m sorry to hear about your father but he built an incredibly strong family unit and is enjoying what he passed on to his son.

Godspeed Dad and thank you for sharing.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Took two of my grandkids to Broken Bow just a couple of weeks ago. Our first time there and certainly won't be our last. Pulled a trailer and stayed at the Carson Creek campground in Hochatown, because it had full hookups. It's one lake that really lived up to the hype. And an easy drive from Dallas, too.