WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Broken ribs (ouch)

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
I crashed a quad yesterday and likely broke one or more ribs. Pretty much ruined the rest of 2020 and a going to make a sucky start for 2021. I have projects in progress that I cannot do with this pain. How long is this going to take to heal?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
A buddy of mine did the same thing except he broke like four. The scariest thing for him was feeling like a sneeze was coming on lol

He was off work for three months and was in extreme discomfort for the first six weeks.

4Waters

Reaction score
2 weeks of oh shit. 2 more of oh that hurt. 2 of ummm shouldnt have twisted like that. 6 more of oh i felt that
^^^^This^^^^
The first 3 weeks you really need to take it easy or you will just be starting over, after that only what feels comfortable.

HTTP404

Reaction score
I don't want to go to the urgent care with the covid shit show. I'll make an appt. to see the dr and get x-rays.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Once broke my sternum in a head on - PCH Malibu. Just the sternum, but no ribs. No tape, ace bandage, not anything. Dr said just breathing was contrary to healing. But most important to do deep breathing exorcising to keep the lungs functioning properly. Otherwise I was a prime candidate for pneumonia. This was years ago. Right now is just not a good time to get pneumonia. Do it right. Takes a while to heal, but you will.

DEEZNUTS

Reaction score
Honestly, 2 years. Broke damn near everything on the right side in glamis. The ribs were the most painful and took the longest to heal. Felt them past the 2 year mark even

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Wrap your mid section ,itโ€™s fucked sleeping going on month number 3

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Most I've had broken at once was 7. That sucked balls for 6 months+. 1 or 2, and a couple weeks and you'll be back up and moving pretty good...depending on which ones, and how bad. I have a couple that look like an Arkansas family tree now in Xrays. If you're real lucky, they aren't broken, just bruised. Still hurt like a mother, but heal quicker.

As pointed out, deep breathing. Depending on health, age and other BS, you run a risk of respiratory issues from the shallow breathing. It'll suck, but breathing excercises will help a bunch.

HTTP404

Reaction score
4-6 weeks. Enjoy your first ๐Ÿ’ฉ! I had no idea that taking a shit would hurt so bad. Sleeping is tough too. Sneezing, forget it. Heal up

Happy to report shitting has been no problem up to this point. I will keep you posted.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
This thread is kinda ironic, one of my employees got in a car accident six months back broke two ribs right side back, then two months ago got hit on his Harley at slow speed two ribs broke on left side.
Fast forward two weeks ago nephew was helping grandpa trim tree on ext ladder lost balance fell 6โ€™ broke 8 ribs and punctured his lung. Has allot of pain and saw him a few days ago they kept him in the hospital for several days hope he heels fast.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Breaking Ribs sucks, but not as bad as breaking your Coccyx.....so Iโ€™ve heard...

Flynryan

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I was riding last tuesday and broke my arm in 3 places. Had surgery 8 days later for pins, screws and 2 plates.
Never have I watched so much tv in my life.
Just know there is another RD guy doing the same thing you are and I feel for you.
Heal quickly

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I've heard that breaking your ass hurts a lot with no position of comfort
Yep. I had a buddy riding up front in bow seat when I hit some nasty chop on Lake Tahoe, dribbled his ass off the seat cushion and onto Floorboard, busting or bruising his tail bone. He didnโ€™t walk normal nor go boating with me again for over a year. He swears heโ€™ll never ever ride in a bow seat again. Ouch...

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Ran at full energy into my forklift forks while saran wrapping a pallet back in May, it fucked me up good right into my side, about a month of very uncomfortable, sometimes outright painful sleep, then just when they were about healed i was leaning over the back seat of of a boat to do something and popped them all back again, another 2 or 3 weeks starting over.

Absolute horrible injury, not jack shit you can do about it either.

poncho

Reaction score
4-6 weeks. Enjoy your first ๐Ÿ’ฉ! I had no idea that taking a shit would hurt so bad. Sleeping is tough too. Sneezing, forget it. Heal up
25 years on fishing boats and still the worst thing to happen to me, snapped 3 when a wave slammed me onto the edge of a stainless conveyor. Sitting on a toilet when the boat is rolling is like re breaking them on each roll, wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
They ghosted me for years afterwards in certain positions and moves.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I don't want to go to the urgent care with the covid shit show. I'll make an appt. to see the dr and get x-rays.

Try and bribe a local VET for x-rays. Theyโ€™re way more efficient than human medical outfits.

JD D05

Reaction score
I had 13 fractures on my right side it took prob 8 months to be pain free.

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I crashed a quad yesterday and likely broke one or more ribs. Pretty much ruined the rest of 2020 and a going to make a sucky start for 2021. I have projects in progress that I cannot do with this pain. How long is this going to take to heal?
Depends on the break but I had 6 broken ribs and a collapsed lung. The ribs I broke were the lowest structural not floating. I was back to playing roller hockey in 4 weeks. Get an odd cramp in that area now and then. I'd say it was well over a year before I could play pickup basketball. Something about the breathing hard and shooting the ball would lock up my right side after about 15 minutes.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Sept 19 broke 3 ribs just this week went back to the bed I was sleeping in a chair itโ€™s fucked I have every brace they sell

redman

over here
Reaction score
My son broke 3 in late September, rode mx in early December and went snowboarding Monday and still has some pain, he is only 15 so sounds to be a long healing process.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
if you are taking pain pills, use stool softener, slow DEEP breaths to fend off pneumonia, wrap mid section.
if you need to sneeze or cough place a pillow on your ribs and lean against a high countertop or something to hold things in place. you will learn to sleep flat on your back, recliner is best much easier to get up.

HTTP404

Reaction score
2 weeks of oh shit. 2 more of oh that hurt. 2 of ummm shouldnt have twisted like that. 6 more of oh i felt that

Tracking very closely with this diagnosis. Is it normal for it to feel like it's popping when I move around?

Getting easier to sleep though!

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
coughing or sneezing hurts like a MFr.