WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Brother Bacon’s BBQ Smokehouse

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
One of the real benefits of living out in rural America here in the Midwest, is the ability to hunt, fish, and raise our own food from veggies to beef, pigs, and poultry.

And what can make this better? Putting this stuff on the smoker to make some awesome eats. The wife got me a smoker years ago, and the addiction has led to multiple smokers, and anything from simply ribs to an awesome pulled pork recipe that I’ve gotten asked to make on large scale, to making my own venison sausage and snack sticks. After all, I live with the family moniker, Bacon, so I come by it naturally.

Taking my venison to a processor for years, I spent a small fortune annually, until a few years ago when I brought it all in house and do it myself. One of the most expensive items to have made is dried venison. Making this is easy, just a little time consuming as it requires a cure time of several days.

I started a batch of 15-16# of the dried venison on Wednesday evening. I started with two boneless hind quarter hams, separated them into three roasts about 2.5# each. They are currently in my garage fridge curing in the dry cure. I will post pics along the process, along with the finished product. And who knows, maybe this can become a share thread for great recipes and food.

The roasts resting in the fridge curing.
45B7387D-50B6-447E-990C-0770FDF63FD7.jpeg

78D37DEF-F7C4-44CA-BA7A-7AE3CD06B177.jpeg

brownsuger

Reaction score
This is my new "go to" thread.... The name alone is classic.... I'm going to grill myself later today. Nothing that compares to this though.... Well done

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I like the way you think, brother Bacon. I just might need to take a vehicle for a test drive later.
Next time I fire up the “goodness machine”, I’ll let ya know. From the wife’s reaction, this will become a new staple in the hors d’oeuvres rotation. Might have to add ring bologna and kielbasa to the list of things to learn to make.

I bet a good ring bologna high in garlic content would be magnificent for these things. Might need that daughter of yours that’s in NM to make a run To Hatch for us. My parents get a fantastic jalapeño jelly thats made right there when they are there, but they’re back in Cheeseland till next winter now.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Awesome.
Just got some baby backs and prime rib to smoke, these will be a great addition [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jb600

Highly unusual
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind trying some corn fed venison in that thing. ;)

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Here’s a recipe I backed into a few years ago.

A good friend of the wife and I was going through a divorce, and her ex hubby had left a 15# New York Strip in her freezer. She offered it to me with a statement of not sure if you can do anything with this or not, but it’s yours if you want it. Damn skippy I can.

I scored the top fat cap, added Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and cracked black pepper. I put it in a foil pan on a rack and refrigerated overnight. The next day I smoked it at 225* until the IT was 135*. A nice medium rare. I pulled the NY strip and let it rest to cool (After cutting a nice steak for dinner)

After it cooled I put it in the fridge overnight, then trimmed and sliced super thin. The wife made up an au jus with the juice from the beef. Once the au jus was hot, I dropped the shaved beef into it for about two minutes. Just long enough to warm the beef, and onto a nice fresh Kaiser roll for hot dip sammies.

I ended up making this and pulled pork for the kids football team for team dinner. Those young men devoured damn near all of it. It was tasty, and I’ve made it a few times since for family gatherings.

Fresh off the smoker
DC95C829-3562-41F4-A2A4-F409324362F8.jpeg

My dinner. Damn that was good.
DAE61AD8-DC0A-4D97-AE8E-D3E04F57FD85.jpeg

All sliced and ready for sammies.
F92E4B30-D90C-44B2-AA63-456C1767C8E9.jpeg

In the au jus ready to eat.
47E84506-12C5-4555-AC6D-8F7A84CE77E0.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Well, the day has come. I have allowed the venison roasts to cure since March 25th. This evening, the next step in the process. I started by pulling all the pieces out of the bags and soaked them in water for 30-45 minutes to reduce the salt content. After the rinse, I dried the pieces off, and put them on a smoker rack. I added a coating of garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to the top of all the pieces. Then into the garage fridge to rest overnight and form the pelicle. Smoking starts tomorrow.

The soak
7F99C87E-6E51-41DE-9E1A-84979D8FECD9.jpeg

The moisture that came out of some of the pieces during the curing process.
5D363FC9-C6E7-4C7E-BB5E-30DAF9FED01E.jpeg

The pieces ready for the fridge after the seasonings were added.
1DD54921-7026-4EED-8399-ECD2A00F5C2F.jpeg

And the refreshments included in the process this evening. A local brewery craft cider. Very similar to the final product of the stuff I made with Hula a couple years ago.
D59E78A7-EE7B-459A-AA4E-4808FD4E469D.jpeg

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Learned a new word, pellicle. Thanks.

Looks delicious

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
What kind of meat slicer is that? Nice work by the way.
Nothing fancy, just a Cabela’s brand commercial grade slicer. If I remember correctly it was the smallest commercial one they sell. Bought it on sale and was the last one they had at the time with a big hole in the box, so they gave an additional bunch off. Think I paid something like 40% of original price. Ruined a couple cheapie ones before this one. Last cheap one broke while I was slicing venison bacon and had three slices left to cut. Very frustrating.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Mr Bacons last name is, I'm guessing,....Bacon.

He probably has a brother, by blood, I'm going out on a limb here...

Maybe I'm wrong.

Dan'l

DB / HAV

Reaction score

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Im gonna try this, I see it was 90 minutes - what temp on the smoker? Looks awesome! Thank you
Temp is 275* for 90 minutes. I do very little smoke on these. The wife doesn’t like a heavy smoke flavor profile, so I only put smoke on them for about 40 minutes. Still too smoky so this time there was a little bit of chips left from my previous smoke so I just stuck them in and let it go. Perfect amount for even the wife. The bologna and bacon were obviously already smoked so not much more needed.

BlowMe

Reaction score
Is the jalapeno jelly something you can just find at your regular grocery store or is it harder to find?

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Is the jalapeno jelly something you can just find at your regular grocery store or is it harder to find?
We get it two ways. I can find it at one of the larger grocery stores, Woodman‘s here in Cheeseland, but we also have my parents get me some, as they have a place not far from Hatch, NM. They can get all sorts of stuff down there.

BlowMe

Reaction score
They look epic. I'm gonna try to make a batch this weekend if I can find all the stuff. I found this jelly in a little meat market the other day when I was grabbing lunch for the crew and I dipped my finger in and tasted it last night.....no fuckin way!!! Lol my mouth was on fire for like 10 minutes afterwards. Gonna have to try to find some other kind tomorrow after work
20200416_154150.jpg

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
They look epic. I'm gonna try to make a batch this weekend if I can find all the stuff. I found this jelly in a little meat market the other day when I was grabbing lunch for the crew and I dipped my finger in and tasted it last night.....no fuckin way!!! Lol my mouth was on fire for like 10 minutes afterwards. Gonna have to try to find some other kind tomorrow after work View attachment 866620
I got my "Mrs. Miller's" stuff on Amazon. It is awesome. Perfect spice and sweet. I'll buy more to stock up. It goes great on top of cream cheese with some crackers.

BlowMe

Reaction score
I got my "Mrs. Miller's" stuff on Amazon. It is awesome. Perfect spice and sweet. I'll buy more to stock up. It goes great on top of cream cheese with some crackers.

Thanks for the tip. If I cant find any tomorrow then I will just do that 👍

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We get it two ways. I can find it at one of the larger grocery stores, Woodman‘s here in Cheeseland, but we also have my parents get me some, as they have a place not far from Hatch, NM. They can get all sorts of stuff down there.

Woodman's and Menards... the Cali folks don't know what they are missing.

I do love pepper jelly, never dawned on me to look for it there.

BlowMe

Reaction score
Welp, I made a run at it last night.....definitely wasn't disappointed. Sooo good. Thanks for the recipe!!! I found some new Jalapeno jelly at the store but it didnt have enough heat so I chopped up a jalapeno and added it to my cream cheese/ jelly mix. And I also went rogue and put pepperjack cubes on in half of them and sprinkled brown sugar on them cause I had a buddy over that wasnt a fan of cream cheese....they turned out awesome and will be making more today. I found that if you make the cups with the fat side down on the bacon it worked the best for me anyways. Thanks again brother bacon!!!

20200417_171111.jpg
20200417_173657.jpg
20200417_210120.jpg

BlowMe

Reaction score
Gonna be making some more here shortly along with some nice steaks and some brisket burgers. Its gonna be like 60 here today so its gonna be a nice day

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Welp, I made a run at it last night.....definitely wasn't disappointed. Sooo good. Thanks for the recipe!!! I found some new Jalapeno jelly at the store but it didnt have enough heat so I chopped up a jalapeno and added it to my cream cheese/ jelly mix. And I also went rogue and put pepperjack cubes on in half of them and sprinkled brown sugar on them cause I had a buddy over that wasnt a fan of cream cheese....they turned out awesome and will be making more today. I found that if you make the cups with the fat side down on the bacon it worked the best for me anyways. Thanks again brother bacon!!!

View attachment 867128 View attachment 867129 View attachment 867130
Nicely done!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day Weekend, friends. Obviously, this weekend is for remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice to give us the freedoms we enjoy. May each of those men and women never be forgotten!

I threw a couple racks of ribs on the smoker for dinner tonight. One rack (the one on the left in the first pic) is from a pig we raised ourselves last year, the other is a store bought rack. Threw the wife’s perfected rib rub on them, and in the smoker now on a 3-2-1 program for tonight’s dinner.

4024154E-1C11-4B1D-9FB2-3A94F1B4055E.jpeg

12C91F77-0677-4A0A-92E8-B8984736D7B9.jpeg

805B649C-BA7B-4B46-9198-66D611391928.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
The rest of the story.

at three hours, I wrapped the ribs with a little squeezey butter, honey, and brown sugar and back on the smoker for two more hours.
10BE1E1D-6041-4F26-92CB-AE2DBF752BE5.jpeg

After the two hours of wrapped, they hit the grill for about 15 minutes to caramelize the bark a little. Add a little watermelon and pasta salad and .... food coma!

Finished product
5A2D1020-5841-4FDF-BD3D-D717BB748D6C.jpeg

623AFC45-EF1F-4721-97CE-6E5CEF23FA08.jpeg

6BEFCE35-6945-455A-8C21-101C5B7DC209.jpeg

BlowMe

Reaction score

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
This Thread Kicks Ass!!

Gonna try those kielbasa bites tonight and report back.

Love bacon wrapped pepper's and usually blend beef bullion and cream cheese. Just started mixing chorizo with cream cheese and its amazing.

Attachments

• 20200524_175124.jpg
    20200524_175124.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 66

BlowMe

Reaction score
Since I dont have Facebook, a buddy sent this to me. I might have to try that this weekend....

Screenshot_20200607-184632_Messages.jpg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Wife left me alone for a few days while she went camping with her family. I’m pretty sure she figures I will starve to death or subsist on pb&j for four days. Well, here I am barely able to lift my finger to type this post due to malnourishment having to eat like this.

Filleted out a couple pork loins, dusted them with a rub I threw together quick, and threw them on the smoker for a couple hours. Sliced up some fresh taters I dug this morning, and wrapped in foil with some butter, garlic and seasoning, and tossed them on the grill. When the taters were bout done, I moved the Loins to the grill and finished them up. The kind of stuff that really lets the backbone wear a hole in the bellybutton.

8DF5C101-01DE-430C-A858-F1C920556DAA.jpeg

Wedgy

Reaction score
Endure! Man, that looks good. That's it, Lunch!
Life is tough out on the Plains!

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
Looks awesome, glad you’re barely surviving 😂

I was just reminiscing with a buddy when he sent me pics of supper all from he and his wife’s garden. I used to love going out in Gramps’ garden and picking out supper, with a juicy watermelon for dessert! Was awesome after a day of baling hay.

I’m traveling for work right now or I’d swing in and check it out.

Real soon we’ll be finishing up the a StressEliminator At HulaHut 2.0; I might have to contract you to put on a spread to feed the boys. That would be awesome!

Stay nourished, my friend!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Looks awesome, glad you’re barely surviving 😂

I was just reminiscing with a buddy when he sent me pics of supper all from he and his wife’s garden. I used to love going out in Gramps’ garden and picking out supper, with a juicy watermelon for dessert! Was awesome after a day of baling hay.

I’m traveling for work right now or I’d swing in and check it out.

Real soon we’ll be finishing up the a StressEliminator At HulaHut 2.0; I might have to contract you to put on a spread to feed the boys. That would be awesome!

Stay nourished, my friend!
We can make that happen! I wanna get over and see the progress on the StressEliminator before it is all done, but trying to find a complete afternoon to do so has been a priceless commodity. Hopefully very soon.