WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Buddy got his BRAND NEW (to him) 62 Vette vert stolen the day he bought it....

Tank

Reaction score
Buddy went to Monterey, looking for a 62 Corvette Convertable for his wife's Bday. They found a numbers matching, 62 vert, black on fawn at the Mecum Auction on Saturday. He and his wife drive it around Monterey for the day, take it back to the host hotel (Hyatt) and park it next to their Bently. Come out in the morning and it's GONE!

F*cking sucks!!! He's super bummed out and his wife was in tears. Insurance is going to cover it but it still sucks.

Anyone see this rollin' around....IT'S STOLEN!!!! Although, it's probably in Europe or Japan or Mexico now....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,102

NicPaus

Reaction score
Surveilance video from hotel? Someone was following it...

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Surveilance video from hotel? Someone was following it...

hell maybe even someone from the show itself... figure they prolly have another frame sitting somewhere ready for parts.

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Definitely smells of an inside job there Tank...

Tank

Reaction score
Definitely smells of an inside job there Tank...

Yea, totally....The police are looking into video from the lot. My buddy said the car was vallet'd next to their other car but he kept the keys. First thing I thought of was valet. I don't know if the car could've been followed from the event since they bought it in the morning and drove it all over the place Saturday, then back to the Hyatt. Guess it just matters who all they told where they were staying while purchasing. However, with the Hyatt being the host hotel, you know the parking lots were chalk full of sick rides. That's the way it is around here when there's big car shows at the fair grounds. Every hotel has bad azz rides filling the parking lots.

Either way, sucks for my boy. Cool the insurance will cover it though.

FordRacing250

Reaction score
That really sucks. I used to always work the shows and auctions up there, its not uncommon to have million dollar cars all over the place.
Its possible that the car could of been watched, but early cars are easy as hell to steal also. Hope they find it.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Anybody that would chop up such a beautiful car needs their nutz cut off and fed to them.....F'ing thieves.:mad:

Froggystyle

Reaction score
YEither way, sucks for my boy.

I dunno if it really sucks for your boy... I mean he parked his new 1962 Vette next to his Bentley... ;)

I think he will find a way to struggle by. If this is the worst thing that happens to him this year, that probably isn't so bad... know what I mean... :D

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno if it really sucks for your boy... I mean he parked his new 1962 Vette next to his Bentley... ;)

I think he will find a way to struggle by. If this is the worst thing that happens to him this year, that probably isn't so bad... know what I mean... :D

BINGO!!! At least she got to cruise around for a day..:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. If the guy is rolling around in a Bentley I'm sure losing a Vette isn't going to destroy him financially. Sucks, but to me it's about the same as the family next door having their honda stolen.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
There must be more to the story here, that Vette was being watched by someone looking for a chance to take it.
The peoples that participate in that deal...well the word will spread like wildfire about this, and the local bizz community will put some major heat on the cops to make this a one-time event and do all that is humanly possible to get that car back, and raise the police presence level during future events.
A theft like this is a real major black eye for Monterey, and Dana Mecum & Co. will be raising a stink, too. Kinda tough to get the owners of the best cars to consign when they are getting ripped off from the hotel lots..

Director...
Reaction score

:thumbsup...They're not from the park...

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
There must be more to the story here, that Vette was being watched by someone looking for a chance to take it.
The peoples that participate in that deal...well the word will spread like wildfire about this, and the local bizz community will put some major heat on the cops to make this a one-time event and do all that is humanly possible to get that car back, and raise the police presence level during future events.
A theft like this is a real major black eye for Monterey, and Dana Mecum & Co. will be raising a stink, too. Kinda tough to get the owners of the best cars to consign when they are getting ripped off from the hotel lots..

You would think if a hotel is sponsoring a event where there will be high dollar merchandise parked out front they would have 24 hour security and id checks to drive vehicles off the lot:hmm

If the coordinator of the event didn't think, or at least try to arrange, something like that they shouldn't be hosting high end events.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
This is becoming a big problem at the bigger shows. I'm always worried about my car when parked overnight at the hotels. Well, my car is a POS so I don't worry too much!

LA Roadster show, Grand national Roadster show, NSRA and GoodGuys events are all vulnerable. If you go to the hot rod boards there is a lot of discussion about it. How to disable the car, paging alarms, anti-theft stuff. The best thing is to do security shifts if you are with a group. If your on your own try to park in front and maybe tip the desk people or security people if they have them.

Tank, my buddy in Simi has a one owner original 62 for sale for really short $ (he also has a 66 coupe 427 car for sale). Let me know if your buddy is interested.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
You would think if a hotel is sponsoring a event where there will be high dollar merchandise parked out front they would have 24 hour security and id checks to drive vehicles off the lot:hmm

If the coordinator of the event didn't think, or at least try to arrange, something like that they shouldn't be hosting high end events.

Agreed 100%
I think this is about the 4th year for the Mecum Auction, but they are always doing car stuff down there so they are not rookies.; not the cops, not the business community, nobody.
I hope somewhere there is a Lt. or a Capt. with a file in his drawer that documents what should have been done, etc, and a cc: hotels and event planner tag on it.
Piss poor planning, etc etc.
Somewhere, somebody involved in that deal is going to be getting the dreaded, "career limiting event" document dropped on them, at the least.
Mine were all, "Career limiting Statement" documents, due to my tendency to point out the truth when the truth was not necessarily popular with local gov't officials....:D:skull

slowride

Reaction score
This is becoming a big problem at the bigger shows. I'm always worried about my car when parked overnight at the hotels. Well, my car is a POS so I don't worry too much!

LA Roadster show, Grand national Roadster show, NSRA and GoodGuys events are all vulnerable. If you go to the hot rod boards there is a lot of discussion about it. How to disable the car, paging alarms, anti-theft stuff. The best thing is to do security shifts if you are with a group. If your on your own try to park in front and maybe tip the desk people or security people if they have them.

Tank, my buddy in Simi has a one owner original 62 for sale for really short $ (he also has a 66 coupe 427 car for sale). Let me know if your buddy is interested.
I had to bring my roadster in the night before the Fords Forever show at Knott's, and was kinda uneasy doing so. Talked with the guys at the Ford Motorsports booth and asked If I could park overnight next to their cars. Figured someone would try to steal a Ford GT before a roadster with zoomies. :D
Call me paranoid, but the '68 only has 900 miles in over 12 years, so it obviously doesn't get left overnight many (ANY) places. Better to be paranoid than sorry......

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Cherrys Jubilee is coming up the first weekend in Sept.

http://www.cherrysjubilee.org/

Agreed 100%
I think this is about the 4th year for the Mecum Auction, but they are always doing car stuff down there so they are not rookies.; not the cops, not the business community, nobody.
I hope somewhere there is a Lt. or a Capt. with a file in his drawer that documents what should have been done, etc, and a cc: hotels and event planner tag on it.
Piss poor planning, etc etc.
Somewhere, somebody involved in that deal is going to be getting the dreaded, "career limiting event" document dropped on them, at the least.
Mine were all, "Career limiting Statement" documents, due to my tendency to point out the truth when the truth was not necessarily popular with local gov't officials....:D:skull

Tank

Reaction score

It's easy to dismiss this because he has cash, but I can assure you he worked and works his ass off for everything he has putting in long days in the field (in the oil industry an no not a suite). He has earned every penny with his own hands (and on a side note, no this is by far not the worst thing that's ever happened to him). if you've never put in 18 hour days for months on end and travel non stop requiring you to be away from you wife and kids for long periods and on one of the very few weekends you actually have with your wife for her birthday you buy her her dream car only to have it stolen hours later, then I can see how you could blow this off but Yea, to me, that sucks in a big way!

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score

Al, PM the details on the 62 and I'll pass it along.

ka0tyk

Reaction score

i could sympathize if the guy spent the last 10 years building it and he took it out and it got stolen, but buying it... ehh just find another one.

FordRacing250

Reaction score
All honesty, disabling cars is a thing of the past... Only would take me a minute to get a car with a tow truck, flat bed and a few more to come in with an enclosed trailer. Best thing people can do is get a tracking service. Notice the cars gone, report it n boom they will find it.
This has been happening for a long long time, most people just never heard of it happening.
Car shows, hotels, storage places, ect. Its pretty damn bad when one off show cars or even drag cars can disappear never to be seen again.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
All honesty, disabling cars is a thing of the past... Only would take me a minute to get a car with a tow truck, flat bed and a few more to come in with an enclosed trailer. Best thing people can do is get a tracking service. Notice the cars gone, report it n boom they will find it.
This has been happening for a long long time, most people just never heard of it happening.
Car shows, hotels, storage places, ect. Its pretty damn bad when one off show cars or even drag cars can disappear never to be seen again.

Yup, the bottom line is if they want it, they're going to get it. The tracking device is good IF you notice the car is gone soon enough. Most people don't know the car is stolen until the next morning. If I stole say, a Deuce roadster I could have the whole car blown apart by morning and the tracking device would be tossed on the side of a freeway somewhere. Of course that would be harder to do with a Vette but not impossible to find the device.

When i was heavy into bikes we'd just bring the bike inside the hotel room at night!

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Yup, the bottom line is if they want it, they're going to get it. The tracking device is good IF you notice the car is gone soon enough. Most people don't know the car is stolen until the next morning. If I stole say, a Deuce roadster I could have the whole car blown apart by morning and the tracking device would be tossed on the side of a freeway somewhere. Of course that would be harder to do with a Vette but not impossible to find the device.

When i was heavy into bikes we'd just bring the bike inside the hotel room at night!

not to mention whoever stole this probably wasnt some bum off the street. they obviously knew when and where and probably who they needed to pay off to look the other way...

77charger

Reaction score
Sucks you have to worry about parking a classic car these days.I have heard theft has been an ongoing thing for a while now.I have a 58 impala that my dad never got to see finished he passed away after he got it never got to finish it.

but i know for sure when i take it out it will not leave my sight.My mom will have a nice place to park it for sure.If it were to dissapear it would be very devastating.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Tank: I don't think anyone is dismissing the fact that he had a nice car/dream car stolen and that sucks.. It think it's more along the lines of a guy had a toy stolen. Don't expect too my sympathy for that. If it was his daily driver, or a vehilce he depended on for work then you'd probably get a different response. Adding in that he had it parked next to his Bentley isn't gonna help the sympathy effort either.

franky

Reaction score
It's easy to dismiss this because he has cash, but I can assure you he worked and works his ass off for everything he has putting in long days in the field (in the oil industry an no not a suite). He has earned every penny with his own hands (and on a side note, no this is by far not the worst thing that's ever happened to him). if you've never put in 18 hour days for months on end and travel non stop requiring you to be away from you wife and kids for long periods and on one of the very few weekends you actually have with your wife for her birthday you buy her her dream car only to have it stolen hours later, then I can see how you could blow this off but Yea, to me, that sucks in a big way!

yes I lived that life just not in the oil field but never bought my wife an almost 6 figure car but that must have been fun. I am truly sorry for his loss though:bowdown::bowdown:

Fltplan

Reaction score
Regardless of his financial situation, it blows. 62' Vettes rock! First year of the 327, probably a muncie 4 speed from the factory. Black and Fawn are an awesome combination. Just finding another won't be so easy if that car was cherry. Of course I can't imagine leaving an old vette outside of a hotel either. I think I would've put it in an enclosed trailer for the night.

Tank

Reaction score
Tank: I don't think anyone is dismissing the fact that he had a nice car/dream car stolen and that sucks.. It think it's more along the lines of a guy had a toy stolen. Don't expect too my sympathy for that. If it was his daily driver, or a vehilce he depended on for work then you'd probably get a different response. Adding in that he had it parked next to his Bentley isn't gonna help the sympathy effort either.

Oh, I completely understand where some are coming from and for the most part it's true, it's not like he lost everything or his job or some life changing event happened...regardless, it still sucks. Having anything stolen from you sucks.

Tank

Reaction score
Regardless of his financial situation, it blows. 62' Vettes rock! First year of the 327, probably a muncie 4 speed from the factory. Black and Fawn are an awesome combination. Just finding another won't be so easy if that car was cherry. Of course I can't imagine leaving an old vette outside of a hotel either. I think I would've put it in an enclosed trailer for the night.

Funny thing is, he has a nice enclosed trailer but I don't think he was there specifically looking to buy this car. They have been searching for the right 62 vette for a long time, he took his wife to Monterey and to the show and found the car almost by blind lick. Everything came together...until the next morning.

Froggystyle

Reaction score

I actually regretted putting it that way...

I guess I mean... look at the good side. He ain't driving a Ford home. He still has a Bentley, a hot wife, a job he is good at and apparently compensated for... life doesn't suck. Getting a neat car stolen sucks for sure... but it seems like a mogul for him... and I may be wrong.

Didn't mean it as anything except... look at the good side. Life doesn't really suck for him. I know a girl very well who just had her husband, my friend, shot down in a helicopter in Afghanistan. That sucks. That makes for a shitty life, and I would say her life sucks right now.

Everything in perspective I guess.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
BTW, after owning a C2, C4 and C5 Vette, I can say with certainty that he owned my dream car. At least he owned it.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
I think I would've put it in an enclosed trailer for the night.

That just makes it much easier to steal. Take the trailer with the car in it and it is easier to hide. If you lock the trailer to your truck they take your truck too!

A lot of guys like to put stickers all over the outside of their trailers or fancy paint. I keep my plain white so know one and guess what's inside. I'm thinking about putting Waste Management stickers on it so thieves will think I'm hauling trash!

Tank

Reaction score
I actually regretted putting it that way...

I guess I mean... look at the good side. He ain't driving a Ford home. He still has a Bentley, a hot wife, a job he is good at and apparently compensated for... life doesn't suck. Getting a neat car stolen sucks for sure... but it seems like a mogul for him... and I may be wrong.

Didn't mean it as anything except... look at the good side. Life doesn't really suck for him. I know a girl very well who just had her husband, my friend, shot down in a helicopter in Afghanistan. That sucks. That makes for a shitty life, and I would say her life sucks right now.

Everything in perspective I guess.

Thanks for that FS...And I really didn't take offense to it. Guess I was just discussing the topic...And you are absolutely right, real life changing events put things into prospective. My brother and laws boss was letting his 14 y/o daughter drive his golf cart last week. She doesn't come back for a while, they go to find her and she's laying on the road 20' away from the cart, bleeding from the face and ears. Air lift her to childrens hospital, she wakes a bit after a few days but is dissoriented and having difficulties staying put. They sedate her and she goes into anifilactic shock. Now the Dr.'s are saying she may not make it. When compared to something like that, I'll take everything I own getting stolen over losing a child like him or a good friend like you have lost.

In the end, I agree: Be thankful for everything you have, every day!

P.S.

And just a side note, he really does have a good out-look on it. He's not like on suicide watch or anything. He knows things could be way worse, that in the big pitcture it's only a car and he'll look for another one. He's a good sport and is handling it better than I would actually:D

Last edited: