WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Budget BBC build

Husqy510

Reaction score
As some of you may know I picked up this El Camino a few weeks back. It currently has a stockish 350 with a Muncie 4spd. I do not want to do an LS swap, as I want to keep it more of a classic muscle car. I was thinking about doing a blown small block or some sort of 383 build, but now I'm thinking about a mild big block Chevy.

Maybe a junkyard short block with new rings and bearings. Add some aluminum heads, flat tappet cam and a dual plane intake and I'd think 500hp would be easy to get. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20200205_131115152.jpg
    IMG_20200205_131115152.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 104

BONER

Reaction score
With the right Cam and Heads, 500hp should be a walk in the park.

BONER

Reaction score
Check it:

Husqy510

Reaction score
Check it:

I saw that motor and it definitely peaked my interest, but I have a couple concerns. 11:1 is a little high, for the street especially with the iron heads and crappy fuel in CA. Secondly, I really want aluminum heads to help with weight, and detonation. That motor would be perfect for someone doing a street/strip build.

I want something I can cruise with my young daughter and not worry about overheating. I think a stock shortblock with a basic top end kit would be perfect. Plus I can only run a basic dual plane if I want to retain the stock good, an rpm airgap won't even fit.

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score

$500 for the block, $100 cam, $150 shipping. I'm in Kentucky. Very clean stock bore and you can do with it as you please.

lenmann

Reaction score
Man am I glad you started this thread. I recently bought a 55 Belair that had a 72 truck 454 dropped in it in the 80's. The motor is a little anemic at 220 hp, a little tired in general, and I have been thinking about a budget build shooting for 4-500 hp.

I will ride your coat tails on this one.

Husqy510

Reaction score
Man am I glad you started this thread. I recently bought a 55 Belair that had a 72 truck 454 dropped in it in the 80's. The motor is a little anemic at 220 hp, a little tired in general, and I have been thinking about a budget build shooting for 4-500 hp.

I will ride your coat tails on this one.
I think as long as you have a good leak down, you could easily add a couple hundred hp.

Hopefully a few more of the engine builders will jump in, but a good cam with some basic aluminum heads, dual plane intake and 850dp should net over 500hp below 6k rpm

lenmann

Reaction score
I think as long as you have a good leak down, you could easily add a couple hundred hp.

Hopefully a few more of the engine builders will jump in, but a good cam with some basic aluminum heads, dual plane intake and 850dp should net over 500hp below 6k rpm

Thats what i'm thinking too, just need a little more guidance on the heads, cam and such. Staying tuned to this thread.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I have a brand new in crate Blueprint 632 I’d sell. Complete turnkey with dyno sheet. I also have 500ci BBC I’m looking to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husqy510

Reaction score
I have a brand new in crate Blueprint 632 I’d sell. Complete turnkey with dyno sheet. I also have 500ci BBC I’m looking to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the 632 would be overkill for my build, and I'm not sure the tall deck would fit under the stock good. Might be interested in the 500. Can you share the details?

Thanks, Ian

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
I made over 600 hp with a 9.5-1 compression ratio 468 with iron heads. 990 heads were ported, solid roller cam, single 850 on a single plane manifold (jet boat application)

Ian, for yours maybe 10-1 with the aluminum heads, and hydraulic cam so you don't have to mess with it, either flat tappet or roller.

Also built a 468 many years ago, 9.2-1, 049 oval ports, single 750 and headers, in an older Suburban. The owners boys could brake torque the thing and bounce the front wheels off the ground. The guy at the chassis dyno said it was probably around 500 crankshaft horsepower, believe the cam was a 280 Crane or something. I drove it one time, definitely was able to light the tires up, probably as long as I would have kept my foot in it.

sintax

Reaction score
just had my 468 rebuilt, 990 heads cleaned up, single plane, single 850, hydraulic roller off the shelf, put down just shy of 600 hp on the dyno on a very conservative tune.

The weight of that SBC > BBC swap does complicate stuff, my buddy did it in his 68 camaro and had to do a bunch of work to get it to handle the extra weight up front. I personally would just build a killer LS, but I know you said you dont want to. You can make stupid power with them on the cheap.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
just had my 468 rebuilt, 990 heads cleaned up, single plane, single 850, hydraulic roller off the shelf, put down just shy of 600 hp on the dyno on a very conservative tune.

The weight of that SBC > BBC swap does complicate stuff, my buddy did it in his 68 camaro and had to do a bunch of work to get it to handle the extra weight up front. I personally would just build a killer LS, but I know you said you dont want to. You can make stupid power with them on the cheap.

Good point about the weight...

383's make Way more power that that ElCo can possibly use.

No weight over the rear tires and a light car to boot. Gear it right and it will be a rocket with the 383.

Food for thought.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Get some big block front springs. That's actually what we used to use in the right front for circle track cars. In your case you will want a pair of them.

Husqy510

Reaction score
You all bring up great points, but to me their is something special about a classic muscle car with a big block and Muncie 4spd. This car has an all iron 350 with cast iron manifolds, manual steering and no ac. So I'm wondering how bad a 454 with aluminum heads and long tube headers will be? I'm also adding double adjustable coilovers on all four corners with big sway bars, which should help.

I found a local wrecking yard that has multiple gen IV's carb to pan for $850 out the door. The plan is to pick one up, add aluminum heads (as much for weight, as for power) along with a roller cam, dual plane intake and 850dp. I'll replace rings and bearings as needed, based on my inspection of the short block.

Thanks again for all the replies, it's great to see everyone's ideas

sintax

Reaction score
Get some big block front springs. That's actually what we used to use in the right front for circle track cars. In your case you will want a pair of them.

yup! this is always an option. if i remember right he was running a mustang ii or some kind of aftermarket front clip so that complicated the situation. For a car show cruiser its prob not a huge deal, but if you're at the track every weekend you're likely upgrading the running gear / chassis anyway.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
I found a local wrecking yard that has multiple gen IV's carb to pan for $850 out the door. The plan is to pick one up, add aluminum heads (as much for weight, as for power) along with a roller cam, dual plane intake and 850dp. I'll replace rings and bearings as needed, based on my inspection of the short block.

Other thing I meant to say earlier, depending on what RPM you want to run, try the 750 cfm carb. More responsive on the street I suspect. Jet boat engine I did many years ago had a factory 715 cfm (you read that correctly), ran very nice. One day my buddy thought he would increase performance by buying a brand new 850 carb. Tell you what, we spent a lot of time getting it to equal the performance of the smaller carb, never gained a thing!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Big Block with long tube headers a bit of duration and toss in some compression and you’ll have a bad ass drive in car.

Husqy510

Reaction score
I have an old 750 in the garage that I'll try first. I was thinking the 850 based on an episode of engine masters I watched, but if the 750 worked that would save me a little money

lenmann

Reaction score
You all bring up great points, but to me their is something special about a classic muscle car with a big block and Muncie 4spd. This car has an all iron 350 with cast iron manifolds, manual steering and no ac. So I'm wondering how bad a 454 with aluminum heads and long tube headers will be? I'm also adding double adjustable coilovers on all four corners with big sway bars, which should help.

What aluminum heads are you thinking about using?

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I think the 632 would be overkill for my build, and I'm not sure the tall deck would fit under the stock good. Might be interested in the 500. Can you share the details?

Thanks, Ian

Basic BBC. 2 bolt main, Eagle rotating assembly with steel crank, Weisco pistons, pro comp alum heads that I bought bare and had local machine shop put the guts in, 575/575 comp cam, tunnel ram with dual 660s, mag........ it’s setup for a vdrive right now, so it would need the pan and pickup changes. Was built as just a good running pump gas deal. Low hours (it’s been sitting for 2 years) $3500

Husqy510

Reaction score
Just sent you a message. I think that'll work perfect for me