WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bug Out cabin locations and ideas?

Booshy

Reaction score
I am not really liking the way things are going in the country right now.. Has me thinking about getting out of Cali but all my family and friends are here and to be honest its hard to tell what state to even consider moving to for many diffrent reasons.

I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to buy a little house / cabin with land. Even just land in the mountains if we wanted to get the hell out of town. I prefer something with trees , lakes and space. It would be nice if it was close to a small town that if needed we could run to for supplies? Utah, Arizona, Colorado areas was what I was thinking but I am open to all ideas.

Anyone have a cabin in an area they like and want to share? Or know of an area that they passed thru that I should look like?

Thanks B

hallett21

Reaction score
Where do you live now?

Are you looking for a bug out location in an emergency? Or would you have a weekend get away place ready to go at any moment?

We have locations ready as a family but if something went south we could load up fuel and supply’s at home and then go.

The land is great but you need to be able to get to it. After watching people freak out over toilet paper I can only imagine what stores will look like in a full melt down panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
It has some good for you gun laws 😉

Reactions: DWC

Booshy

Reaction score
I live in San Diego area / Poway now. I have a home in Yuma at the River and it is an option as the park my house is in is full of like minded people.

I would like use it more then just a bug out location and this is part of the consideration. I believe all three states mentioned have better gun laws then Cali :)

hallett21

Reaction score
I live in San Diego area / Poway now. I have a home in Yuma at the River and it is an option as the park my house is in is full of like minded people.

I would like use it more then just a bug out location and this is part of the consideration. I believe all three states mentioned have better gun laws then Cali :)

Personally I think you have to keep the location under 5 hours during normal traffic. Unless you’re set up to cover further distances with fuel stored at home.

As far as gun laws. If shit gets real it’s going to get real. I have no problem pulling the trigger in any state if my family is in immediate danger.

Honestly the closer to home your bug-out location is the better imo.

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
Having a destination is a good idea but getting there could be all but impossible depending on what's going on around you (especially in Kali) with everyone trying to "bug out"

This has always been my fear. A couple XR 100s could very well be more useful than a f450 full of supplies.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I'm all set, no one going to bother me here
tempImagegTYroU.png

evantwheeler

Reaction score
In a bug out situation, that little town isn't going to have supplies. You better have the supplies ahead of time, and a lot of them. Or, you'd ought to have the means to take supplies with force, as well as protect your supplies with force. All of us are fucked (OK, I'm sure there are a few REAL preppers on this site) if society deteriorates to that point.

hallett21

Reaction score
In a bug out situation, that little town isn't going to have supplies. You better have the supplies ahead of time, and a lot of them. Or, you'd ought to have the means to take supplies with force, as well as protect your supplies with force. All of us are fucked (OK, I'm sure there are a few REAL preppers on this site) if society deteriorates to that point.

A power outage cuts fuel. Which leaves at least 50% of people dead in the water.

hallett21

Reaction score
@rivermobster or any other motor heads. Let’s say I ordered a drum of AV and diesel from VP. If shit hits the fan the catalytic converter will be ruined but the engine will run just fine correct?

How long can barreled fuel be stored and maintain octane?

Booshy

Reaction score
Personally I think you have to keep the location under 5 hours during normal traffic. Unless you’re set up to cover further distances with fuel stored at home.

As far as gun laws. If shit gets real it’s going to get real. I have no problem pulling the trigger in any state of my family is in immediate danger.

Honestly the closer to home your bug-out location is the better imo.

Yea I agree.. A part of the thought was to head to the house is Yuma first. My hope is to beat the crowds :) since I am retired and all I do is monitor the bullshit situation. Then from yuma head to this location if needed. Hoping for a location with fresh water/ fishing/ hunting.

HotRod82

Reaction score
We should all just make a pact to take over LHC if the shit hits the fan. This is a legit community and God knows we have the arsenal to take control. Run off all the snowbirds and liberals, then we then party our asses off until the supplies run out. End it all with one final toast with some spiked grape cool aid.
I have no intention in sticking around and fighting over the last can of SPAM. Fuk that.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If you want to bug out, best bet is to wait until the mass exodus happens.

People trying to get out of town, but are stuck in massive gridlock, will be targeted.
It will be super easy to prey upon people stuck in their cars with no way to leave.

So you need to be prepared to bug-in for a few days.

And unless you’ve got people with you for 24/7 security, that cabin in the woods will also be an easy target. Best to keep moving IMHO

4 trained/armed people can provide perimeter security for an average size property. They can’t work 24/7, so you’ll need 8 people with 12-hour rotating shifts.

Then you need other folks to cook, farm, etc.

Our plan is to bug in. Indefinitely if we have to. We have like-minded friends and neighbors who will join if SHTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hallett21

Reaction score
Yea I agree.. A part of the thought was to head to the house is Yuma first. My hope is to beat the crowds :) since I am retired and all I do is monitor the bullshit situation. Then from yuma head to this location if needed. Hoping for a location with fresh water/ fishing/ hunting.

If you could replenish in Yuma and could maintain supplies I’d head towards the north end of AZ.

Personally I think you need 2 weeks of food/water. 1 week at the bare minimum.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If you want to bug out, best bet is to wait until the mass exodus happens.

People trying to get out of town, but are stuck in massive gridlock, will be targeted.
It will be super easy to prey upon people stuck in their cars with no way to leave.

So you need to be prepared to bug-in for a few days.

And unless you’ve got people with you for 24/7 security, that cabin in the woods will also be an easy target. Best to keep moving IMHO

4 trained/armed people can provide perimeter security for an average size property. They can’t work 24/7, so you’ll need 8 people with 12-hour rotating shifts.

Then you need other folks to cook, farm, etc.

Our plan is to bug in. Indefinitely if we have to. We have like-minded friends and neighbors who will join if SHTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree 100%. Buggin Out should be your last option not your first. We have an emergency supply of food / water / ammo / booze / stuff to get us by for 30 days @ home if needed. If the situation at home gets to look like it’s not going to be sustainable we will either go to our Havasu House or if that’s fucked we will head to the boonies in our Toy Hauler or SxS depending on road conditions & safety. I’ve thought about buying land in the middle of nowhere as a SHTF location so I could store a longer term amount of food & water but I’m not sure you would be safer Buggin In somewhere else. I like the idea of being mobile.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Downside to being anywhere in SoCal is unless you’re ahead of the curve... you are stuck. If you are an hour behind the “shtf” moment... you ain’t getting out. We’ve all seen parking lots after a concert / baseball game. That’ll be the freeways.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
The time to "bug out" is before the SHTF.

If society suddenly collapses you aren't going anywhere. You would have to somehow navigate your way out of whatever metro area you live in and have enough fuel/provisions to make it to your "bug out".location. All the while negotiating an unknown political and social landscape.

Either move now, or prepare to bug-in at your current location. Build a network of like minded people who can provide support and cover to each other in the current geography where you live.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@rivermobster or any other motor heads. Let’s say I ordered a drum of AV and diesel from VP. If shit hits the fan the catalytic converter will be ruined but the engine will run just fine correct?

How long can barreled fuel be stored and maintain octane?

No experience in such matters. Other than I know pump gas (these days) starts to go sour in a couple of weeks.

Found this...

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I did some poking around in the hills around Oatman a couple years ago and was shocked to see there are some small self contained cabins back there that looked pretty well kept. Definitely bug out type cabins.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
No experience in such matters. Other than I know pump gas (these days) starts to go sour in a couple of weeks.

Found this...

100LL will keep for about 5 years in a sealed container without any degradation of octane. It doesn't have booze in it and is formulated to.be stored for longer periods.

hallett21

Reaction score
100LL will keep for about 5 years in a sealed container without any degradation of octane. It doesn't have booze in it and is formulated to.be stored for longer periods.

Other than ruining an exhaust system though the motor would be fine correct?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Other than ruining an exhaust system though the motor would be fine correct?

Have no idea. The computer that runs the engine might not like all that octane, but I would think the engine would run in some fashion.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Have no idea. The computer that runs the engine might not like all that octane, but I would think the engine would run in some fashion.

The octane is not the issue. The lead would be though.

Although, I have zero motivation to find out!

FishSniper

Reaction score
I’ve thought about something along these lines or just moving to a more rural area permanently. After spending the last couple of weeks out of So Cal (Durango, Co and Havasu) I am really starting to consider a move. Wasn’t back in So Cal twenty minutes before the traffic and homeless situation etc was already raising my blood pressure.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I’ve thought about something along these lines or just moving to a more rural area permanently. After spending the last couple of weeks out of So Cal (Durango, Co and Havasu) I am really starting to consider a move. Wasn’t back in So Cal twenty minutes before the traffic and homeless situation etc was already raising my blood pressure.
We did 37 years ago 😎😉👍

Backlash

Reaction score
I would have a few contingencies in place because you never know what's going to happen, or where it will happen. I'm pretty sure the major cities will be prime targets along with military and intelligence instalations...so you'll have to plan routes around those places (Pendleton, March, Norton, 29 Palms, etc). We have a flexible plan in place, and a few options if we need to head for the hills.

Last edited:

TBulger

Reaction score
I'm all set, no one going to bother me here View attachment 1038240
This looks very much like where I got my start. The out house in winter will be a real challenge and the pee pots under the bed generally frieze over night. On the bright side milk, butter, most meats, bread and pies were readily available.

The word stripping had an entirely different meaning.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
We should all just make a pact to take over LHC if the shit hits the fan. This is a legit community and God knows we have the arsenal to take control. Run off all the snowbirds and liberals, then we then party our asses off until the supplies run out. End it all with one final toast with some spiked grape cool aid.
I have no intention in sticking around and fighting over the last can of SPAM. Fuk that.

Sounds like the channel mid-summer

petie6464

Reaction score
These threads always entertain. A bug out location is something thrown around constantly, however the vast majority of these people never have one nor pursue one because it's more than likely never going to be needed and if need not accessible.

As far as having one and living in a major metropolitan area is about useless. Having a hold down plan would be more useful, less costly and actually helpful in the almost certainty of never being needed.

Being able to hold down in a up evil while the rats are jumping ship would more than likely keep you from harms way until the smoke cleared. You can hardly get out of big city on a holiday weekend, during a panic, good luck.

A savvy survival minded individual won't need to look far if people are bailing out, there will be plenty of resources at ones fingers in a social meltdown environment.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Sources of food are the important part, next to energy and defense. I pity the fool who stands in our way.

We have 3 plans that are laid out, versed. One is a seriously long haul but we could wait out a very long time there with zero need for anything from outside the valley. I've been waiting for a tank that I ordered to come in that would get us there with no need for fuel. We've planned routes etc. Call me a tin foil hat wearer, but I'll do what I can to survive and outlast others.

Since we live in Texas, and are surrounded by deer/water we could shelter in place, but we're too close to major metro's for it to be a long term option.

Havasu is always an option, but food resources would get scarce pretty quickly.

Chances are we would wind up in the mountains in WA...long haul but if the shit really hit the fan it would be the long term place that is the most defendable.

Hopefully it never comes to that....but after Biden's latest debacle...its only a matter of time before the desert dwelling scumbags strike again.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
If you want to escape the world, find a home/cabin that is self-sufficient without relying on one or more public utilities in case of a emergency like someone sets off a thermonuclear weapon.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
just buy an RV you will have your pick of bug out locations. I've watched alot of dystopian movies, you have to keep moving...

i disagree you need a constant food source.. rv makes it nice for rubbing over zombies while the wife makes sandwiches and then you have to a place to crash when you get there

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
If it happens I hope it is in the summer. In TN we are good, food (tons of wildlife on our land), fresh water lake, a good generator, like minded people all around and enough guns with ammo to do a decent defense.

Wasn't looking at it that way when we bought it, but after being here for awhile and thinking about it, it is a good place to be.

Now if it happens in the winter, we are in FL and probably fucked, but will try to get to TN.