WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Build - NOS Kindsvater Flat

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Looks fantastic. Why is the Vdrive so far back?
The prop shaft hole was drilled when it left the Kindsvater in 1976, it was drilled at about 9.5 degrees. So the math was already set for where the v-drive was going to be set, if we moved it forward it would raised the V-drive to high for motor placement. When I look at other Kindsvaters they all fall in about the same place

guest hs

Reaction score
The prop shaft hole was drilled when it left the Kindsvater in 1976, it was drilled at about 9.5 degrees. So the math was already set for where the v-drive was going to be set, if we moved it forward it would raised the V-drive to high for motor placement. When I look at other Kindsvaters they all fall in about the same place
Gotcha nice job

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay of updates, but I have been in complete thrash mode to get this done. I set a date for myself to be complete by August 1st and I think it will only be a few days past that and I should be testing it at Elsinore end of week or Monday of next pending work schedule. Progress so far, gauges are installed, wiring is complete, engine and plumbing complete and I also did not want to install a air shifter, so I made a remote locking shifter out of an old Casale I had and made it shift with a cable like sprint cars (fingers crossed that this set up works under load, works great engine off) the shifter will be hidden under the seat with only the handle protruding, but please excuse the machining work I only built it as a proof of concept first and then I can take it back to the drawing board and make it look pretty.

IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_7162.JPG
IMG_8255.JPG
IMG_5766.JPG
IMG_7327.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_5948.JPG
IMG_6825.JPG

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
.........and First Tow! After a few runs of adjusting the plates and working out the bugs, the fuel pump gave up, but after inspection it was a chunk of silicon that was in the fuel tank and found its way to the fuel valve and plugged it up.

SkiDoc

Reaction score
It is so great to see the boat running. Is it possible that this boat was at Lake Cumberland at one time? When I was about 10 yrs old my Dad and I looked at a Kindsvater that was ordered unrigged by a local marine service owner. It was the exact colors except I believe the trailer was brown. I drooled over that boat. All the hardware was wrapped up inside the boat. For years we would drop by his shop to see if he had done any work to the boat and he never did start. It really just has to be the same boat.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
It is so great to see the boat running. Is it possible that this boat was at Lake Cumberland at one time? When I was about 10 yrs old my Dad and I looked at a Kindsvater that was ordered unrigged by a local marine service owner. It was the exact colors except I believe the trailer was brown. I drooled over that boat. All the hardware was wrapped up inside the boat. For years we would drop by his shop to see if he had done any work to the boat and he never did start. It really just has to be the same boat.
I believe this is the one. Your story sounds like the one I was told and that it was ordered from a mechanic of some sort. This is not the original trailer this is a temporary one. The original was brown. There was also 3 other Kindsvaters ordered at the same time from that group.

Kcampbell

Reaction score
Hello,
I was going through some of my parents’ things and the memories made me surf around and I came upon your thread. Your boat was purchased originally by a man named Bob Hess. He was a very energetic and friendly man who worked and lived in Dayton, Ohio. He retired and bought a boat business in Somerset, KY. He, his wife, and my parents were acquainted and they would boat together on Lake Cumberland. His previous flatbottom was named “She works too!” So my father desperately wanted a flatbottom. And we ordered these hulls together. I don’t know about any others ordered at that time. I was 15-16. It was the end of Kindsvater’s history and the molds were actually taken to the Sanger factory and they were laid up by Sanger. Note how your stringers run the full length of the hull, including forward of the forward bulkhead. Note the side bulkheads port and starboard under the gunwales about midship. Neither of these features were part of normal Kindsvater construction.
My father and I built ours and Bob worked too hard and died too early to ever do so. When my father died young also, my mother and I sold our summer home on the shore of the south fork of Lake Cumberland and the boat as well. I had no foresight and no means then to keep and store the boat unfortunately.
My wife and I live in Annapolis, MD now and boat on the Chesapeake Bay. So our platform has changed a bit. I’ll try to send pictures of the Kindsvater and our boat now.
Your boat and build looks fabulous. The metal work is stunning. Bob is smiling somewhere.

Attachments

• CD0F94A4-B5D5-4ED5-81FA-F3673994F8F1.jpeg
    CD0F94A4-B5D5-4ED5-81FA-F3673994F8F1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
  • 84E47802-1C81-4832-B19D-CBE3A532FBE8.jpeg
    84E47802-1C81-4832-B19D-CBE3A532FBE8.jpeg
    586.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 5D8F5B62-8A43-46B0-B289-72C90B4D8F9E.jpeg
    5D8F5B62-8A43-46B0-B289-72C90B4D8F9E.jpeg
    841.9 KB · Views: 115

Kcampbell

Reaction score
Correction- I reviewed your bare hull pictures and the midship outboard bulkheads are absent. Don’t know about your stringers. I remember now there was a delay in delivery also. When the two boats were finally delivered together to Somerset, KY the delay and the build variation was explained as I mentioned above that the molds were taken to Sanger to complete the last production request at the very collapse of Kindsvater boats. So, you may actually have the last hull truly built by Kindsvater.

I wish you all the best.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Hello,
I was going through some of my parents’ things and the memories made me surf around and I came upon your thread. Your boat was purchased originally by a man named Bob Hess. He was a very energetic and friendly man who worked and lived in Dayton, Ohio. He retired and bought a boat business in Somerset, KY. He, his wife, and my parents were acquainted and they would boat together on Lake Cumberland. His previous flatbottom was named “She works too!” So my father desperately wanted a flatbottom. And we ordered these hulls together. I don’t know about any others ordered at that time. I was 15-16. It was the end of Kindsvater’s history and the molds were actually taken to the Sanger factory and they were laid up by Sanger. Note how your stringers run the full length of the hull, including forward of the forward bulkhead. Note the side bulkheads port and starboard under the gunwales about midship. Neither of these features were part of normal Kindsvater construction.
My father and I built ours and Bob worked too hard and died too early to ever do so. When my father died young also, my mother and I sold our summer home on the shore of the south fork of Lake Cumberland and the boat as well. I had no foresight and no means then to keep and store the boat unfortunately.
My wife and I live in Annapolis, MD now and boat on the Chesapeake Bay. So our platform has changed a bit. I’ll try to send pictures of the Kindsvater and our boat now.
Your boat and build looks fabulous. The metal work is stunning. Bob is smiling somewhere.
I love this story. Hopefully I did Bob right by building it the way I did. Crazy how I built it similar to your Dads boat. I wanted to build it old school with new rigging techniques. I’m going pull the cover and look for the addtions you mentioned done at Sanger.

poncho

Reaction score
I never saw this thread, I remember seeing pic's of that boat when it was unrigged and in the Midwest somewhere. You have done it justice big time, very beautiful boat. 👍

I've said it before but my favorite part of this thing we call the internet is when a person with a personal connection steps in with some history.

Kcampbell

Reaction score
Again, I apologize if I initially gave you misinformation about the build. I don’t see the outboard bulkheads on your pictures of the empty hull. I am certain ours had those because my father had me cut them out so he could install these large capacity stainless fuel tanks he made. He then glassed the bulkheads back into place.
So indeed yours was likely built still at Kindsvater and like I said above, may be the last boat they ever built.

All the best.

poncho

Reaction score
Hello,
That Bay boat is beautiful and would be right at home on Cape Cod, Wow.

SkiDoc

Reaction score
We stopped by Bobs shop every once and a while for several years hoping we could see some progress on the build of the boat. It was beautiful in person. My Dad at one time had made a deal to trade an engine for its trailer. We had a Stevens at the time that had an awful homemade trailer.
I am 55 and my Dad is still alive. I showed him this thread and it really made his day. We always wondered what happened to the boat. It looks great and you did it justice.

Kcampbell

Reaction score
That Bay boat is beautiful and would be right at home on Cape Cod, Wow.
Thank you. Not as loud and not as fast but still a head turner. We hope to ride up to Martha’s Vineyard this summer. She’s the big bread winner for us and can work from anywhere. Maybe we should have named this boat, “HE works too!” Ha ha

poncho

Reaction score
Thank you. Not as loud and not as fast but still a head turner. We hope to ride up to Martha’s Vineyard this summer. She’s the big bread winner for us and can work from anywhere. Maybe we should have named this boat, “HE works too!” Ha ha
Bucket list trip for sure, I would love to do that. 👍 My Wife would love your boat, she's got a hard on for anything with what she refers to as a back porch, basically a covered sitting area, your boat is exactly what we both want in a few years.