WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Building a new Alcohol Flat

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
This is a brand new Canyon Marine bottom laid up by Kevin Felkins in Lodi, CA. The old boat had some bottom issues, so the top deck and capsule from the Lucas oil "Shazam" boat driven by Tony Scarlata will be used with the new bottom.

De rigging the old boat to use the hardware in the new boat
IMG_8901.jpg

Stripped clean
IMG_8905.jpg

The new boat
IMG_8902.jpg
IMG_8904.jpg

First process is to flip the boat upside down and locate the center of the boat. The strut and fin will be mounted first.
IMG_8906.jpg
IMG_8908.jpg
IMG_8907.jpg
IMG_8909.jpg

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Can I drop off my vector, I would have been happy with 1 year and 5 days :)

Edit: The flat turned out bad ass btw!

poncho

Reaction score
Just curious what made you guys decide to build a new hull. Knowing the level of talent on that team the old one must have had some issues that couldn't be fixed.

I couldn't imagine drilling into a new boat, I was freaking out mounting a footrest in mine. :eek

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Just curious what made you guys decide to build a new hull. Knowing the level of talent on that team the old one must have had some issues that couldn't be fixed.

I couldn't imagine drilling into a new boat, I was freaking out mounting a footrest in mine. :eek

The bottom of the boat was not repairable for the speeds these boats see. Laying up a new bottom was the best option and swapping the parts over.

lenmann

Reaction score
Very cool!

What does the cutter that is used to cut the prop shaft hole look like? How do they keep it from "walking" sideways when the hole is started with all of that overhang forward of the strut?

IMG_8909.jpg

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The bottom of the boat was not repairable for the speeds these boats see. Laying up a new bottom was the best option and swapping the parts over.

That was my question as well sir. Do you mind elaborating on what was wrong with the bottom?

Thanks

Brian

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
That was my question as well sir. Do you mind elaborating on what was wrong with the bottom?

Thanks

Brian

The Canyon bottom has a "crown" to it. This original bottom had been repaired and sanded on so much over time, it had lost its crown. It would never be right if you tried to put that back in it.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
The Canyon bottom has a "crown" to it. This original bottom had been repaired and sanded on so much over time, it had lost its crown. It would never be right if you tried to put that back in it.

Thank you.

I was curious of the reason for sure.

I really like that prop turner. ;)

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Very cool!

What does the cutter that is used to cut the prop shaft hole look like? How do they keep it from "walking" sideways when the hole is started with all of that overhang forward of the strut?

View attachment 557785

It's basically a long 1 1/8" hole saw attachment to the prop shaft end. The prop shaft has been modified to fit into the drill on the other end. To keep it from walking, we have a homemade tool that was made to press down on the hole saw attachment as it's cutting through the bottom.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It's basically a long 1 1/8" hole saw attachment to the prop shaft end. The prop shaft has been modified to fit into the drill on the other end. To keep it from walking, we have a homemade tool that was made to press down on the hole saw attachment as it's cutting through the bottom.

I imagine there is plenty of clearance between the hole and the propshaft when the log seal goes on, yes?

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I imagine there is plenty of clearance between the hole and the propshaft when the log seal goes on, yes?

Not really. On this particular boat the bottom of the boat (inside) has to be ground down for clearance because the strut angle is so shallow.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Not really. On this particular boat the bottom of the boat (inside) has to be ground down for clearance because the strut angle is so shallow.

Im talking about the clearance around the circumference of the shaft and the hole saw hole for the propshaft.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Im talking about the clearance around the circumference of the shaft and the hole saw hole for the propshaft.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Yes it actually might be a 1 3/8"-1/2" hole saw attachment that we use so that there is plenty of clearance between the prop and the hole itself.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood your question. Yes it actually might be a 1 3/8"-1/2" hole saw attachment that we use so that there is plenty of clearance between the prop and the hole itself.

Ok, that is what I figured. Bad ass boat and thread sir.

thanks for posting.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Ok, that is what I figured. Bad ass boat and thread sir.

thanks for posting.

Thank you. It's still gotta get the cap finished and a few other things buttoned up. Then it will get broken down and some things will get sent out for anodizing. This boat is gonna be getting a wrap done to it. I'll post pics when it's done. Testing is gonna be in Bakersfield on May 20th for the NJBA drags. 1st race will be June 9th weekend in Wheatland MO for the LODBRS.

cofooter

Reaction score
Great write up. Thanks for sharing, I'm with the other guys, not totally understanding the process, there's got to be a bit of a pucker factor when you start up that big drill.........

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
there's got to be a bit of a pucker factor when you start up that big drill.........

No doubt. I don't have the stones to put a drill to a blank hull.

Especially strut/prop shaft location.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Great write up. Thanks for sharing, I'm with the other guys, not totally understanding the process, there's got to be a bit of a pucker factor when you start up that big drill.........

Oh there is for sure. The strut location is already recessed in the mold when it comes out. It then just depends on the strut angle to determine where it's going to come through the boat. It's still a sketchy process when your looking down the barrel of the drill!

rivergames

Reaction score
Looking good. We gotta start rigging ours in a few weeks :tbi

poncho

Reaction score

7 Degrees or less maybe?
Thanks

poncho

Reaction score
Possibly [emoji848] I can't give you the exact number, but yes it's close to that.

Thanks,

I aint always the sharpest knife in the drawer. :p

I was in class on lunch when I typed that and after thinking about it didn't want to pull my phone out and correct it.

Backlash

Reaction score
Drilling holes in other people's boats hurts a whole lot less! :D

Bitchen boat and man what a quick build! Thank you for sharing it with us! Seems like everything you touch ends up over the top. ;)

shan

Reaction score

It's a core saw which is a lot like a really deep hole saw without a pilot drill which is why other means need to be used to keep it from walking.

lenmann

Reaction score
It's a core saw which is a lot like a really deep hole saw without a pilot drill which is why other means need to be used to keep it from walking.

What would those "other means" be? I recall a picture from a Prime Marine build thread where a second guy was lying on his back using his feet on the drill shaft? (hull was right side up on a dolly)

That core saw must want to walk right across the hull when you start the hole with all that overhang beyond the strut.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Slow and slower when getting the hole saw started for sure.

What would those "other means" be? I recall a picture from a Prime Marine build thread where a second guy was lying on his back using his feet on the drill shaft? (hull was right side up on a dolly)

That core saw must want to walk right across the hull when you start the hole with all that overhang beyond the strut.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Just got back from Wheatland Mo. today and we had a great weekend with the boat. We already set the ET and MPH record at the last race in Marble Falls TX and this weekend we broke them both again TWICE! [emoji1303] The old record was 5.08 @ 168. New record is 5.01 @ 169

IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0514.jpg