WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Building a one off 21 V-Drive Trailer (Prime Marine)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So.......any finished pics of this cool trailer?

I think it was finally finished.. I never did get pics of it after it went to the customers. I'll have to ask Mike this week.

RD

f_inscreenname

Reaction score
Looks bad ass but...

My tandem trailer about want to drag a tire off the rim when backing up and making a hard turn.
Why did you go with a triple for only a 21' boat?

X Hoser

Reaction score
You said in in your first line, "Looks Bad Ass". But, having triples gives you options if you have a flat. Strap up one hub and continue on to a safe place to fix it. Just when I thought I might be done with mine something like this comes up. :rolleyes Oh, did I mention it looks Bad A$$

Reaction score
It helps a little with dragging the rudder guard too

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
well crap. i know what my next project is. i wonder what material cost is for something like this. just the raw steel alone.

that trailer is a work of art. id pimp it even with the rust on it.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
You said in in your first line, "Looks Bad Ass". But, having triples gives you options if you have a flat. Strap up one hub and continue on to a safe place to fix it. Just when I thought I might be done with mine something like this comes up. :rolleyes Oh, did I mention it looks Bad A$$

You can do that with a tandem. I've done it, no problem.

Plus, there's these things called "spares" that work awesome.

I personally think triples look ridiculous on anything shorter than 30'. Tough to drive, hard on tires...

On a 19-24 they look like clown shoes IMO.

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

I personally think triples look ridiculous on anything shorter than 30'. Tough to drive, hard on tires...

Until you are in the middle of nowhere, on a road with little to no shoulder, and changing a spare is gonna be a nightmare, Sure you can still strap up with tandems, but now 100% of that side's weight is on a single tire, absolutely no redundancy left, and you have just greatly increased your chance of bursting the only tire keeping you on the road.

Triples are way better if you do any regular long haul towing. They tow way straighter and better at higher speeds. And they look better too, sorry Wes :p

99% of the time your boat trailer tires take a shit because of age, not mileage or turning wear. Run decent truck tires instead of shitty trailer tires and turning is no big deal. I have never in my life seen a set of trailer tires get replaced because the tread was gone, it's because they are old and the sidewalls are starting to show cracks.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score

I couldn't agree with you more.

I don't understand this "West Coast" hang-up on trailers in general.
Sure, it should look good, but a trailer is about function to get the boat to the water.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
Until you are in the middle of nowhere, on a road with little to no shoulder, and changing a spare is gonna be a nightmare, Sure you can still strap up with tandems, but now 100% of that side's weight is on a single tire, absolutely no redundancy left, and you have just greatly increased your chance of bursting the only tire keeping you on the road.

Triples are way better if you do any regular long haul towing. They tow way straighter and better at higher speeds. And they look better too, sorry Wes :p

99% of the time your boat trailer tires take a shit because of age, not mileage or turning wear. Run decent truck tires instead of shitty trailer tires and turning is no big deal. I have never in my life seen a set of trailer tires get replaced because the tread was gone, it's because they are old and the sidewalls are starting to show cracks.

My parents hauled an 18' Sanger loaded to the gills all over hells half acre with a single axle. Never lost a tire.

A tandem is prudent overkill.

A triple is ghetto-fabulous.

A tandem is already doubling your cost for tire replacement... Why triple it?

Singles are FAR easier to maneuver, weigh 600-750# less than a double and 1200-1500# less than a triple.

I have never had a problem with a boat tracking "straight" behind me. Every time of look back... There it is... Right behind me.

I would put my Spectra on a single if I was choosing. Carry two spares and a back jack. I think a single looks a lot nicer than a triple.., which looks like you have an extra wheel.

I look at triples the same way I look at the guys who added an extra taillight on each side to the 60's Corvettes. Two was plenty... Three was a combination of ugly and unnecessary.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
My parents hauled an 18' Sanger loaded to the gills all over hells half acre with a single axle. Never lost a tire.

A tandem is prudent overkill.

A triple is ghetto-fabulous.

A tandem is already doubling your cost for tire replacement... Why triple it?

Singles are FAR easier to maneuver, weigh 600-750# less than a double and 1200-1500# less than a triple.

I have never had a problem with a boat tracking "straight" behind me. Every time of look back... There it is... Right behind me.

I would put my Spectra on a single if I was choosing. Carry two spares and a back jack. I think a single looks a lot nicer than a triple.., which looks like you have an extra wheel.

I look at triples the same way I look at the guys who added an extra taillight on each side to the 60's Corvettes. Two was plenty... Three was a combination of ugly and unnecessary.

On anything equal to or bigger than a 24 Hallett for example, I'll take triples every day of the week and twice on sunday, After dealing with long haul tire blowouts, or wheel bearing failures, on more than one occasion over the years, any time it's been a tandem that's when you wish you had a triple. Looks aren't even a factor to me, even though i do think triples look better, it's all about function. To each their own. ;) :thumbsup

Froggystyle

Reaction score
On anything equal to or bigger than a 24 Hallett for example, I'll take triples every day of the week and twice on sunday, After dealing with long haul tire blowouts, or wheel bearing failures, on more than one occasion over the years, any time it's been a tandem that's when you wish you had a triple. Looks aren't even a factor to me, even though i do think triples look better, it's all about function. To each their own. ;) :thumbsup

You are talking about a decidedly large 24' now though. That's getting into triple range... Both in scale and necessity.

On "my" Trident I had tandem with two spares. But it was lighter at 28' than a 24' Hallett by thousands of pounds.

On a 24' I see it the same way as I see a tandem on a 21... Mildly excessive but justifiable.

I maintain that on an 18-23' it is ridiculous looking, reduces functionality, increases weight, increases tire replacement by more than double and tears up your driveway, if nothing else.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
This one OK? 24'6" Howard...
IMG_0002.jpg

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
The number of axles should be based on the weight of the boat, not the length.
I think a 28' boat is where it typically becomes borderline between dual/tri-axle.
Anything under 28' is overkill for a tri-axle.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm not even going to try and argue the functionality of a triple on a 21.. It's a worthless debate that I'd end up losing.

As far as style though.. I must say Wes, I don't see how you and I could see something so differently.

RD

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I'm not even going to try and argue the functionality of a triple on a 21.. It's a worthless debate that I'd end up losing.

As far as style though.. I must say Wes, I don't see how you and I could see something so differently.

RD

To me... Especially with high performance... Form follows function. Always.

If it doesn't increase functionality or speed, it's gotta go. Now, don't get me wrong... A little "bling" on the way is fine, but to me adding a third axle to a boat under 25' is exactly the same as stacking on another blower scoop for looks.

One was plenty. And two is too many.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score

If it doesn't increase functionality or speed, it's gotta go. Now, don't get me wrong... A little "bling" on the way is fine, but to me adding a third axle to a boat under 25' is exactly the same as stacking on another blower scoop for looks.

That's like saying one turbo is plenty on your spectra, but two is too many right? My triple axle on my 21 already saved my ass when I had an issue with one of the wheels, and I'm glad I had the extra axle in that situation. If I had a tandem trailer I would have been fucked. Triple is the only way to go IMO.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
That's like saying one turbo is plenty on your spectra, but two is too many right? My triple axle on my 21 already saved my ass when I had an issue with one of the wheels, and I'm glad I had the extra axle in that situation. If I had a tandem trailer I would have been fucked. Triple is the only way to go IMO.

It is plenty... Per side.

Bad example though because while you could use a single turbo, twin turbos spool up faster for marine use and have higher performance across the board. Two extra axles is lower performance in that it weighs more for reduced utility (more expense, harder to maneuver, harder on tires etc...)

What issue did your trailer have that required triples?

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
It is plenty... Per side.

Bad example though because while you could use a single turbo, twin turbos spool up faster for marine use and have higher performance across the board. Two extra axles is lower performance in that it weighs more for reduced utility (more expense, harder to maneuver, harder on tires etc...)

What issue did your trailer have that required triples?

I ended up losing one of the rear wheels on the driver side while towing. I had a tire patch done awhile back, and apparently they didn't torque the lug nuts down enough. With the trailer being a triple, luckily i didn't have to do much but throw the wheel in the back of my truck and carry on down the road. It has torsion axles so I didn't even need to strap up the axle like you would've with a leaf spring trailer. If this would have been a tandem trailer, the trailer would not have supported the boat weight with just one wheel on one side of it.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I ended up losing one of the rear wheels on the driver side while towing. I had a tire patch done awhile back, and apparently they didn't torque the lug nuts down enough. With the trailer being a triple, luckily i didn't have to do much but throw the wheel in the back of my truck and carry on down the road. It has torsion axles so I didn't even need to strap up the axle like you would've with a leaf spring trailer. If this would have been a tandem trailer, the trailer would not have supported the boat weight with just one wheel on one side of it.

Sure it would have. I did that exact thing on the Ultra. Blew a tire and my spare (early Carlisle's) and pulled a wheel. No problem. Each axle is rated for the boat weight.

Torsions make it easy. You gotta strap a leaf spring obviously.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Sure it would have. I did that exact thing on the Ultra. Blew a tire and my spare (early Carlisle's) and pulled a wheel. No problem. Each axle is rated for the boat weight.

Torsions make it easy. You gotta strap a leaf spring obviously.

I guess you could say that I would'nt feel comfortable towing my Schiada (which is heavy as fuck) down the road with just one axle on one side.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I guess you could say that I would'nt feel comfortable towing my Schiada (which is heavy as fuck) down the road with just one axle on one side.

Fair enough... But it's an emergency, and still well within the ratings of the tires and axles.

The lesson here is, one axle or three... Check your lugs and keep up on tire maintenance.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
Fair enough... But it's an emergency, and still well within the ratings of the tires and axles.

The lesson here is, one axle or three... Check your lugs and keep up on tire maintenance.

👍 absolutely! You gotta admit though, a bad ass triple axle is night and day as far as looks, compared to a tandem.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
I agree it is a weight issue. I didn't want triple on my Vector when I ordered that trailer but I wish my 240 had them.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
👍 absolutely! You gotta admit though, a bad ass triple axle is night and day as far as looks, compared to a tandem.

I literally deplore them. Possibly irrationally, but I look at triples on a smaller boat like gold curb feelers or spinner hubcaps. Not just unnecessary, but expensive and unnecessary.

Like when you see people stacking carb spacers to make the motor look bigger, or fish tails on a Harley... Or those stick-on chromies that look like a vent that people put on their Honda Accord fenders.

Anything "just for looks".

Last edited:

Froggystyle

Reaction score
I'm not saying it's a popular opinion... Plenty of people have fish tails. It's just how they strike me.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I literally deplore them. Possibly irrationally, but I look at triples on a smaller boat like gold curb feelers or spinner hubcaps. Not just unnecessary, but expensive and unnecessary.

Like when you see people stacking carb spacers to make the motor look bigger, or fish tails on a Harley... Or those stick-on chromies that look like a vent that people put on their Honda Accord fenders.

Anything "just for looks".

If you can't afford it....then you probably don't get it! I hear ya on the other shit, but you can't tell me a tandem looks better than a triple under a 21 V-Drive. As far as being heavier or being a pain in the ass to maneuver around, I get it.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I guess both my boats you would consider "overkill" then!
puqype8y.jpg

upanegu9.jpg

SoCalZero

Reaction score

Or kinda like carrying two spare tires?

SoCalZero

Reaction score
puqype8y.jpg

upanegu9.jpg

I don't think those are overkill. Your setup is very nice on both. I put those pics up for the triple axle haters. I have a triple for my 21 RC.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
Or kinda like carrying two spare tires?

Not really... When tires go, they often take out another. Having lost two tires in one trip before, I carry two spares now.

I'd rather have two spares than an extra axle with the spares on it... Plus spares.

Froggystyle

Reaction score
puqype8y.jpg

upanegu9.jpg

Your boat looks great... As does the trailer. But that's a really big 21, and I still wouldn't put triples on it if it were mine. Personal preference, but I think the tandem is a better proportioned look on the 21RC size.

And triples on my boat looks ridiculous.

The triple on the mini boat is about the core of my point... It looks ridiculous because it is... And it's supposed to be. It's a caricature, and certainly not done for functionality. I think it looks exactly zero "more ridiculous" than triples on a 19. Same effect... It's a caricature.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
The triple on the mini boat is about the core of my point... It looks ridiculous because it is... And it's supposed to be. It's a caricature, and certainly not done for functionality. I think it looks exactly zero "more ridiculous" than triples on a 19. Same effect... It's a caricature.

Mine is a tandem on my mini, and I think if you have a custom 10 footer with a single axle trailer it looks retarded. RD's triple axle on his 12' Schiada I think looks good because it a dolly trailer on golf cart tires to fit the proportion of the boat.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
Not really... When tires go, they often take out another. Having lost two tires in one trip before, I carry two spares now.

I'd rather have two spares than an extra axle with the spares on it... Plus spares.

More often than not you will only lose the one tire. Now if your rolling on some twelve year old trailer tires then yeah, you are asking for trouble. Not saying you do that but there is a lot of people that do. Carrying two spares all the time just seems like a pain in the ass. I would just rather have the triple. Looks good and the spares are built in!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
More often than not you will only lose the one tire. Now if your rolling on some twelve year old trailer tires then yeah, you are asking for trouble. Not saying you do that but there is a lot of people that do. Carrying two spares all the time just seems like a pain in the ass. I would just rather have the triple. Looks good and the spares are built in!

eh we've lost both tires on a side before... not fun. but even without a spare on a tandem you just take one from the other side and put it on the same axle and strap up the front axle and limp to the next tire store. done deal. you dont even need to carry spares. now if you lost 3 tires, sure you're SOL.

huskyfrk

Reaction score
Billy dunsmore had a custom trailer built like that over 25 years ago. tapered tongues are nothing new. think he still has it under his 20'