WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Building a Rally Sportsman UTV....

jesco

Reaction score
Short story long... and expensive.... Last year a friend and I went the The Mint to watch a buddy race in Vintage Class. Had a BLAST!!!! Walked around vendor area, saw lots of friends, helped out in our buddies pit, and partied HARD later that night after his race... I say "HARD" because in my drunken stuper, I apparently told EVERYBODY "Next year Im racing UTV" and bet them!!! Well.... my buddy that was there with me, the guy that owned the Vintage car (Norm Francis) and my buddy that raced Vintage class all reminded me of this bet and called me out on it. So, not one to go back on my word, I jumped in feet fir...correction.. DOVE in FACE first into building a car. Bought a 2019 CanAM X3 R (64" wide version, stand by there was a good reason) and headed to Magnum Offroad to have it built. I went with the 64" R for the huge price savings, Baja Kits stepped up BIG and gave me a SMOKING deal on all new A arms, rear trailing arms, and KING Shock that will make it 72" wide once installed. There was no reason to pay the extra money for stuff I was going to rip off the car anyway to get better parts. Doing all new suspension, axles, Methods/Tensors anyway, so after doing the math only thing I really lost out on was that car doesn't have Smart Lok system (which I can add for $2k, still money ahead). Norm who owns the Vintage Car my buddy drives is helping out also. Im going to run the car under his team "Retro Racing" and use his pit crew and hopefully some of his sponsors will help out as well. I will update the thread as parts come in and car gets built. Heres the car when I picked it up and a few Magnum cars of what it will end up looking like when complete.

SIDE NOTE: Anybody looking to hide some money from Uncle Sam and wants to help sponsor a UTV let me know, Im open to any offers, hahaha.
IMG_3537.jpg
MO Car.jpg
IMG_3539.jpg
IMG_3540.jpg

HB2LHC

Reaction score
LOOKS INSANE!!! I love my Magnum built cage. I will be out at the Mint 400 next year pitting for a buddy i will stop by and say whats up if i see you. Vinnie

jesco

Reaction score
Dropped off the BajaKits arms and some other parts the other day and took some pics of the car. They were doing the tear down when I showed up.... crazy to see a brand new car with less thanks 100yrds on it in this state, hahahaha. Still waiting on the King shocks, Methods/Tensors, and the steering rack from Shock Therapy. They are installing all the suspension this week and starting the cage next week. The "plan" is to have the car by end of Dec first week of Jan.... The guys at Magnum have been awesome, they really know their shit. They have helped out a lot with advising what you do/don't need and whats the wrong/right way to set the car up.

IMG_3743.jpg
IMG_3744.jpg
IMG_3745.jpg
IMG_3746.jpg
IMG_3747.jpg

jesco

Reaction score
Update... Picked the car up last Friday, really happy with everything. Started wiring the lights, radios, etc this weekend, just about finished up. Had my buddy at Freedom Cerakote cerakote the bead-lock rings in Hi-Vis Orange with my race number stenciled out (rules state must have number engraved on wheel). Have to take the car back this week to get the bumper installed and a few other thing, test and tune the following week, get the car wrapped and off to Vegas to race The Mint.

IMG_3834.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg
IMG_3969.jpg
IMG_3971.jpg
IMG_3973.jpg
IMG_3974.jpg
IMG_3957.jpg
IMG_3958.jpg

RaceTec

Reaction score
What class are you racing and what do the rules allow? Car looks bitchen!

jesco

Reaction score
What class are you racing and what do the rules allow? Car looks bitchen!
Class is UTV Rally, motor/turbo and running gear have to remain stock, must have a aftermarket cage and all the safety equipment. You can have doors but they have to have a secondary pin to keep the door locked closed. Suspension can be changed, but have to maintain all stock mounting points and cant be wider than 80". Stock fuel tank is legal, but I changed it out to a 24G tank in the rear with a Geiser Dry Break set up (dumps 10G in like 9 seconds...) so I only need to get fuel at Main Pit. Its a "for fun" class, no points, just guys out racing just to race. In BITD they have (3) races for this class, doesn't run every event. Last year half the class was Trophy Truck and Pro Buggy guys that ran one lap to pre run the course (Mint is a no pre run race) and than they went to bed, hahaha. Over half the class was 1 lap DNF, but the next day the same guys won their class our finished up top because they were able to pre run "race" in this class... As long as I can keep the car together all day we should finish pretty good, hahaha.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Awesome that sounds fairly reasonable and fun! I heard a bunch of the guys were doing that for prerunning... Smart! See you at the Mint!

jesco

Reaction score
Awesome that sounds fairly reasonable and fun! I heard a bunch of the guys were doing that for prerunning... Smart! See you at the Mint!
Yeah, very smart. Last year the Youtheory Team decided to run the entire race and won. I guess the kid had a bet with his dad that he could put their Team pre runner (built by Magnum also) in the winners circle. Finished in pretty good time also, 5hr 27m. Last year was (2) laps.... they made it (3) this year... wasn't overly excited about that being our first race, but trial by fire I guess. I just want to get the car up on the stage at the end of the night, dont care where I come in, as long as I COME IN!!!! hahaha. Ill keep an eye out for you, we race on Friday, gonna be a lonnnnng day.

jesco

Reaction score
Well.... The 2020 Mint 400 is in the books. WHAT...A....WEEK!!! Being that this was our first trip to the Mint, first race at all, we soaked it all in. Did the Parade down LV Blvd, parked the car at the Hogs and Heifers after party (ended up talking with a guy for a little while and low and behold it was Froggystyle, Wes Inskeep. He was racing with the Warriors Program). Was able to park it at the PRP booth on vendor row. Pushed the car from the top of vender row to tech stopping and thanking the manufactures that helped us with discounted parts/gear/etc and/or talking with anybody that we had put their product on the car for possible future help. Was a pretty cool few days.... Now to the RACE.. (30) registered for the Rally Class, I think only (27) ended up lining up. They lined us up in (2) rows, we ended up in the outside lane, row 9... right behind Phil Blurton (BITD Pro UTV Champ, factory CanAm, short course champ) and in front of Rodrigo "The Kid" Arriagada (Team Papas and Beer, CanAm ambassador)... AWESOME!!! First lap went REALLY good. Passed a lot of slower traffic and made some good time. Ended up with the second fastest lap time at 2hr:32min:35.943 seconds, "The Kid" beat us by 4 minutes!!!! We ended up hitting a MASSIVE rock about 10 miles form Main Pit and blew the deadlock apart, had to do a tire change, took about 10 minutes, that cost us fastest lap. Second lap.... 3 miles in we lost a driver lower spindle pin causing us to veer off course and put the car on its roof!!! F@CK ME!!! Sat for about 3 hours waiting for Track Support to come flip us over. Limped back to Main Pit, my AWESOME Pit Crew got it all fixed up, and off we went back out to redo Lap 2 and run Lap 3.... Had to do both those in the dark. Lap 3 was SURREAL... carnage EVERYWHERE!!! Broken down cars, fenders, axles, CVs, it was like driving through a Pick-a-Part lot. We must have seen 150 fire extinguisher that had fallen off... It was a very humbling experience... oh, almost forgot... WE FINISHED 5TH!!!! Pretty awesome!!!

Hammer

Reaction score
Congrats!! That’s awesome. Sounds like a good time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWC

Reaction score
Well.... The 2020 Mint 400 is in the books. WHAT...A....WEEK!!! Being that this was our first trip to the Mint, first race at all, we soaked it all in. Did the Parade down LV Blvd, parked the car at the Hogs and Heifers after party (ended up talking with a guy for a little while and low and behold it was Froggystyle, Wes Inskeep. He was racing with the Warriors Program). Was able to park it at the PRP booth on vendor row. Pushed the car from the top of vender row to tech stopping and thanking the manufactures that helped us with discounted parts/gear/etc and/or talking with anybody that we had put their product on the car for possible future help. Was a pretty cool few days.... Now to the RACE.. (30) registered for the Rally Class, I think only (27) ended up lining up. They lined us up in (2) rows, we ended up in the outside lane, row 9... right behind Phil Blurton (BITD Pro UTV Champ, factory CanAm, short course champ) and in front of Rodrigo "The Kid" Arriagada (Team Papas and Beer, CanAm ambassador)... AWESOME!!! First lap went REALLY good. Passed a lot of slower traffic and made some good time. Ended up with the second fastest lap time at 2hr:32min:35.943 seconds, "The Kid" beat us by 4 minutes!!!! We ended up hitting a MASSIVE rock about 10 miles form Main Pit and blew the deadlock apart, had to do a tire change, took about 10 minutes, that cost us fastest lap. Second lap.... 3 miles in we lost a driver lower spindle pin causing us to veer off course and put the car on its roof!!! F@CK ME!!! Sat for about 3 hours waiting for Track Support to come flip us over. Limped back to Main Pit, my AWESOME Pit Crew got it all fixed up, and off we went back out to redo Lap 2 and run Lap 3.... Had to do both those in the dark. Lap 3 was SURREAL... carnage EVERYWHERE!!! Broken down cars, fenders, axles, CVs, it was like driving through a Pick-a-Part lot. We must have seen 150 fire extinguisher that had fallen off... It was a very humbling experience... oh, almost forgot... WE FINISHED 5TH!!!! Pretty awesome!!!
Congrats to you and the team. That’s a great accomplishment

Derekmorse

Reaction score
Dude this is an awesome build! I as well have a canam and I’m looking to do the same thing you’re doing the utv sportsman rally class. Would you mind reaching out to me so I can ask questions and see more pictures of your badass car. Just have questions regarding stock doors, thanks man!— Derek