WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Building an observation deck in Havasu

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Last nights sunset was epic! Used a ladder to crawl up on our RV garage roof and kicked back enjoying a cold one while watching the beauty of the sunset over Lake Havasu and river. That got me thinking how great would it be to build a staircase and railing up to the garage roof and be able to enjoy the view more safely. Our garage is about 15' from the ground, not sure if there would be a height limitation? Do you need permits for this kind of thing in Havasu, or could we build it and see who complains? Anyone know any builders in the area that would take on this kind of project? Here is a view from last night.

Sunset_Fotor.jpg
Sunset_Fotor.jpg

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
We made an offer on a new build yesterday, and I was thinking this same thing for the top of the RV garage. I’ll gladly piggyback off your thread.

IMG_5328.jpg

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
That sunset was pretty amazing.

Decks are cool, but I noticed the novelty seems to wear off over time.
Quite a few of my neighbors have them and I rarely see anyone out there using them.

Much easier to take a cruise up to Bison Rd and watch the sunsets lol

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I thought about it on my garage but gave it up when i put the solar up there.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Permit, yes. You need a surface that is designed to be walked on, trusses need to be designed to support 40 #psf (off the top of my head, could be wrong) guardrail to withstand 200#'s, stairs would have to have a landing if over 10' rise, or a spiral staircase. That's all off the top of my head, it can be done. Lots of rooftop decks being built on new homes here in vegas.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
What type of price would something like this be - ball park ?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Last nights sunset was epic! Used a ladder to crawl up on our RV garage roof and kicked back enjoying a cold one while watching the beauty of the sunset over Lake Havasu and river. That got me thinking how great would it be to build a staircase and railing up to the garage roof and be able to enjoy the view more safely. Our garage is about 15' from the ground, not sure if there would be a height limitation? Do you need permits for this kind of thing in Havasu, or could we build it and see who complains? Anyone know any builders in the area that would take on this kind of project? Here is a view from last night.

View attachment 699421 View attachment 699421
you can build 200 sq ft in havasu with no permit... height is 15'

TCHB

Reaction score
I have noticed here in Havasu not many people use their decks. In fact I have never seen anyone up on them. Summer time you will get cooked and winter time it is cold.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Searching old threads and looking for any updates. Anyone add a view deck. My new property indicated the patio Was reinforced to add a view deck. Pretty cool view , much better than pic.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.png
    IMG_3411.png
    734.1 KB · Views: 103

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Searching old threads and looking for any updates. Anyone add a view deck. My new property indicated the patio Was reinforced to add a view deck. Pretty cool view , much better than pic.
Not to take away from your excitement, we did one but virtually never use it. Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, maybe if we were a little younger.😅 That being said, if you're reinforced, you're halfway there. We had our home builder handle the project which also included a water feature, walls, courtyard and firepit and flagstone work so don't remember the price just for the deck, plus it was 13 years ago, and things have probably tripled. Anyway, our builder hired AZ Sundeck who pulled off the torch ply on about half the patio cover and put down a one-inch plywood base that they covered with some membrane before putting down the Cool decking. I believe the railing and the spiral staircase was the most expensive part, plus the crane to get it in the backyard and set it. The staircase and railing were custom made by some guy in Desert Hills, have no clue if he's still around. We also added power and ground lighting to be able to see to walk at night. We paid about $20,000 for all of this, I'd imagine you'd be doing good to just get the deck for that now days. If a guy was to use Home Depot fence railing and could build a different type of access to the deck, prepping the deck might not be all that expensive. Hope this helps a little.

Tank

Reaction score
Dude, did you buy that house on Nugget!?

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Not to take away from your excitement, we did one but virtually never use it. Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, maybe if we were a little younger.😅 That being said, if you're reinforced, you're halfway there. We had our home builder handle the project which also included a water feature, walls, courtyard and firepit and flagstone work so don't remember the price just for the deck, plus it was 13 years ago, and things have probably tripled. Anyway, our builder hired AZ Sundeck who pulled off the torch ply on about half the patio cover and put down a one-inch plywood base that they covered with some membrane before putting down the Cool decking. I believe the railing and the spiral staircase was the most expensive part, plus the crane to get it in the backyard and set it. The staircase and railing were custom made by some guy in Desert Hills, have no clue if he's still around. We also added power and ground lighting to be able to see to walk at night. We paid about $20,000 for all of this, I'd imagine you'd be doing good to just get the deck for that now days. If a guy was to use Home Depot fence railing and could build a different type of access to the deck, prepping the deck might not be all that expensive. Hope this helps a little.
Thank you For your detailed response

Tank

Reaction score
Bro! We looked at it a couple times. I loved it. Wife didn't think it was big enough. I stood in the kitchen and looked out past the patio at the lake and was like, "THIS is what it's all about!" Right side of the highway, close to everything, two master suites, pool RV garage...Awesome place. Congrats man. We aaaaaaaaaalmost bought it a couple months ago. lol

Reactions: DWC

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Bro! We looked at it a couple times. I loved it. Wife didn't think it was big enough. I stood in the kitchen and looked out past the patio at the lake and was like, "THIS is what it's all about!" Right side of the highway, close to everything, two master suites, pool RV garage...Awesome place. Congrats man. We aaaaaaaaaalmost bought it a couple months ago. lol
Thx brother,
Yeah it took me a few looks to pull the trigger. I actually cameback on the last look without agent, no pressure, cracked open a beer and took into that exact view you described. I loved the 3 separate hallways,2 masters. Color inside was the biggest issue, too dark. Curb appeal will be doing epoxy garages, new large baseboards and interior paint this month. Love neighborhood, took a few walks to the water, and I will love cutting my drive arriving and leaving by 15 mins as I’m currently up by the foothills

Thx again

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Thx brother,
Yeah it took me a few looks to pull the trigger. I actually cameback on the last look without agent, no pressure, cracked open a beer and took into that exact view you described. I loved the 3 separate hallways,2 masters. Color inside was the biggest issue, too dark. Curb appeal will be doing epoxy garages, new large baseboards and interior paint this month. Love neighborhood, took a few walks to the water, and I will love cutting my drive arriving and leaving by 15 mins as I’m currently up by the foothills

Thx again
Bad ass man. Happy for you. It really checked all
The boxes for me. Like I said, wife just wants something bigger. It was set up purely for AIRBNB. I like your ideas to make it your own. I was thinking of doing a low brick wall at the fence line where the pool
Is for some privacy / drunk
Naked jacuzzi nights 😂 or that mesh metal stuff that blocks lookey loos.

Also thought of building outdoor bar and grill kinda behind the master bedroom under the overhang. House is bitchen man. Again, congrats.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Thx brother,

Thx again
I was going to welcome you to Havasu, but it sounds like you've already been here.👍

joecfd1

Reaction score
Nugget and Tamarack? I recognize the garages across the street. We're on Laramie around the corner.