WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

building in Havasu need recommendations for grading my lot

timmahhhh

Reaction score
My wife and I bought the corner lot at Saratoga and Acoma in Havasu. Damon LaBlue, who's a boater and probably on this forum drew us up some nice plans. We are expecting approval from the City in the immediate future and are excited to get building.

I am kicking around the idea of doing it as an owner build to save money instead of just hiring a general. I am pretty comfortable with construction. My dad is a GC in in Parker, but he's building something for himself right now, and I would rather get started than wait for him to finish, because Mrs. Timmahhhh keeps finds houses here in our neighborhood that she wants to upgrade to, and if she gets one of those we don't get the Havasu house.

Me and my dad will probably do plumbing, electrical, and HVAC because there is so much markup on those, and finish because I like it, but I would be glad to hire most of the rest of it out.
Can anyone familiar with the trades out there drop names of some good subs that I should talk to as I go along?

I am going to need:
Grading on lot / Excavation for plumbing / slab
Concrete
Framing
Stucco
Drywall
Roofing
Tile
Countertops
Pool

I would appreciate any recommendations or connections you can help me make.

Thanks!

Maybe I am being ambitious but, I would really love to be able to use this by this time next year.

Tw4w4Gi.png

jailbird141

Reaction score
I am doing this very thing right now. I have owned my lot for a while and started an owner/builder earlier this month. I got bids from companies to do the build and was shocked at the prices. I have construction experience so I am doing it myself. There have been many threads on this site about the work ethic in Havasu. A search will help you find them. You will find out that you will not even get a call back for most of the calls you make. Very frustrating to say the least. Ive been stood up waiting for contractors to meet me so I can give him plans and discuss what I want. I am sure it isn't helping anything that contractors are swamped with work right now. I would be glad to share my experiences with you by PM if you want, I just don't want to be the guy to bash someone publicly on here. My goal is to be done by July 4th next year.

timmahhhh

Reaction score
GOOOOODDDDDD LLLUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!
Is everyone pretty swamped, or is it just hard to get people to show up to work when they're that close to a beautiful lake?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
There are plenty of subs that work on the side in Havasu just catch the ones on Saturday job sites or I could recommend some

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Is everyone pretty swamped, or is it just hard to get people to show up to work when they're that close to a beautiful lake?

Both!!! Getting most subs (most not all) to do things without being a GC is tough out here for sure.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Every Contractor I know regardless of location is slammed with work. If they are not something is wrong. I have been putting in 12+ hour days 7 days a week and can't keep up. Passing up more work than I can do. Good luck.

timmahhhh

Reaction score
I need to shave a couple feet off my lot, can anyone recommend someone for grading the lot and digging the footings?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I need to shave a couple feet off my lot, can anyone recommend someone for grading the lot and digging the footings?

Call Campbell ready mix leave a message most likely and wait. They will get to you eventually. I would let whoever is doing your foundation worry about footings. Everybody is busy as shit right now, half of them won’t even return your messages.

TrojanDan

Reaction score

Call Pioneer Earthmovers in LHC. They are a subsidiary to Campbell Redi-Mix and do grading and excavation. I signed their proposal late July and am still waiting for a call back to start demo on an existing retaining wall and excavation of a hillside for a new retaining wall to make room for a pool.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
My wife and I bought the corner lot at Saratoga and Acoma in Havasu. Damon LaBlue, who's a boater and probably on this forum drew us up some nice plans. We are expecting approval from the City in the immediate future and are excited to get building.

I am kicking around the idea of doing it as an owner build to save money instead of just hiring a general. I am pretty comfortable with construction. My dad is a GC in in Parker, but he's building something for himself right now, and I would rather get started than wait for him to finish, because Mrs. Timmahhhh keeps finds houses here in our neighborhood that she wants to upgrade to, and if she gets one of those we don't get the Havasu house.

Me and my dad will probably do plumbing, electrical, and HVAC because there is so much markup on those, and finish because I like it, but I would be glad to hire most of the rest of it out.
Can anyone familiar with the trades out there drop names of some good subs that I should talk to as I go along?

I am going to need:
Grading on lot / Excavation for plumbing / slab
Concrete
Framing
Stucco
Drywall
Roofing
Tile
Countertops
Pool

I would appreciate any recommendations or connections you can help me make.

Thanks!

Maybe I am being ambitious but, I would really love to be able to use this by this time next year.

Tw4w4Gi.png
I've been doing homes for a few years in havasu, first off,... you don't save any money doing owner builder... the subs up charge owner builders...I should hook you up with my builder, then you just do the subs work that you want.. secound,... who to-poed the lot??? Lee??? I'm wondering the 30' +- from bench and how you got that approved... is the lot a cliff with the build a street level???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
secound question, I'm in need of an arch,.. how was your dealing with damon laBlue???

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I am doing this very thing right now. I have owned my lot for a while and started an owner/builder earlier this month. I got bids from companies to do the build and was shocked at the prices. I have construction experience so I am doing it myself. There have been many threads on this site about the work ethic in Havasu. A search will help you find them. You will find out that you will not even get a call back for most of the calls you make. Very frustrating to say the least. Ive been stood up waiting for contractors to meet me so I can give him plans and discuss what I want. I am sure it isn't helping anything that contractors are swamped with work right now. I would be glad to share my experiences with you by PM if you want, I just don't want to be the guy to bash someone publicly on here. My goal is to be done by July 4th next year.
LOL.... bashing doesn't bother them,... they are all just so busy,.. getting something done in havasu is a favor not a job

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Your going to have to possess the patience of Jobe right now to do an Owner Build if your using subs. My home builder said he has been building in Havasu for 25 years and he's never seen it as busy as it is today. The Low Interest Rates combined with the Commiefornia Exodus are driving the Housing Boom in Havasu.

CobraDave

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a lot in Mohave Valley which looks grated already and has utilities. Are the builders over there just as busy has LHC? Steve any recommendations on a builder to hire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Good friend is a GC in CA, he got his license out here and is building a few spec homes currently. He was like, I will show this town how to build a house, they wont know what hit them, half the time, etc., etc., in a few short months has been hammered (pun) into compliance with the way things get done in Havasu. Book the painter for three weeks out, ok fine. Day before the three weeks comes up, "we are swamped, gonna be another month" type of stuff.

Hammer

Reaction score
If anyone is coming up dry shoot me a PM. If it makes sense I’ll send guys out for paint,drywall mud and tape. Professional level 5 finish type stuff.

I will have my GC license in AZ shortly.

timmahhhh

Reaction score
secound question, I'm in need of an arch,.. how was your dealing with damon laBlue???
Pretty darn easy. I like my plan. He gave me a good price. he seems to get the boating lifestyle pretty good, I've got 2,000 ft of garage that's going in. Engineers were a little steeper than I wanted, but that's life.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

DC-88

Reaction score
I will have my GC license in AZ shortly.

AZ gave me a dual Commercial/Res GC lic . a couple months back with the trade/experience waiver from Ca. but I still had to do the open book law test within 6 months. I'd want them back , but if you want to borrow the books shoot me a pm and address. They are all highlighted and tabbed up already, and you definitely need them to pass it. --

Havalife

Reaction score
I haven't seen any dirt moved yet, I live up the street. Good luck with the build it looks like a nice house.
If you need some help or info PM me.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Pretty darn easy. I like my plan. He gave me a good price. he seems to get the boating lifestyle pretty good, I've got 2,000 ft of garage that's going in. Engineers were a little steeper than I wanted, but that's life.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
got a number???? thanks

hallett21

Reaction score
Good friend is a GC in CA, he got his license out here and is building a few spec homes currently. He was like, I will show this town how to build a house, they wont know what hit them, half the time, etc., etc., in a few short months has been hammered (pun) into compliance with the way things get done in Havasu. Book the painter for three weeks out, ok fine. Day before the three weeks comes up, "we are swamped, gonna be another month" type of stuff.

Only way to pull off a CA build is doing every damn trade in house lol

timmahhhh

Reaction score
I don't have an electrician, but let me know if you need help with plumbing and HVAC😉
Thanks, I ended up hiring both of those out and they are pretty close to wrapping up. I need a roofer, a sparky, stucco and drywall though.

One2go

Reaction score
Looks good! I'm about 95 % done with my build on my retirement home there in havasu, Being a General in California its hit and miss with the local guys , I didn't know out there prior. That being said I now know who's good and not so good. Lol. Have a tile guy that's awesome. Probably one of best I've used and that includes here in Ca for my business. Painter have also if needed. He's ok so far. Haven't done final trim and finish so will see. I'm very picky, will need to be correct for sure. Welcome to pm me can shoot me cell number if want any info. 👍🏻

timmahhhh

Reaction score
Looks good! I'm about 95 % done with my build on my retirement home there in havasu, Being a General in California its hit and miss with the local guys , I didn't know out there prior. That being said I now know who's good and not so good. Lol. Have a tile guy that's awesome. Probably one of best I've used and that includes here in Ca for my business. Painter have also if needed. He's ok so far. Haven't done final trim and finish so will see. I'm very picky, will need to be correct for sure. Welcome to pm me can shoot me cell number if want any info. 👍🏻
Message sent

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Well it's moving along. They start drywall next week. I need someone for tile and a painter for the interior in the next few weeks. Appreciate any recommendations.
Kris McMillan (McMillan Painting) 928-680-7222 They did our interior, exterior, walls etc. Highly recommend.

A lot of the tile installers are tied to the sellers in town. Cole @ carpets unlimited runs a great shop.