WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bungholio issues .....

Dana757

Reaction score
No not that! :D

Went to install a new custom built fuel tank and ran into a snag. Couldn't get a fitting in any of the top ports. Not even 1/4 turn. The thread gauge should go down to the notch, not even close. Was told to try and tap the bungs by the manufacture. I was reluctant to do that as it's so heavily baffled in that area I didn't think I could get the chips out. And you know as hard as you try some chips are getting in the tank. I'm not a fan of NPT ports anyway so I whipped up some stainless bungs and welded them right on top of the others. I think it came out pretty good. The lemonade of the lemon is one of my biggest selling products are aluminum bung for tanks. Just never ran them in stainless. They ran pretty sweet so I just let the machine run. Ordering material today to run a few other sizes as well.
Anyway I think the end result was a fairly good save. Take a look. Also I'm in no way bashing the manufacture. I'd buy another tank from them in a heartbeat. Oh, Jake at OC Muffler Man did the welding. If you ever need custom exhaust done MM is the place.

8CEDA496-6106-4D41-8BDE-38CAE612F1E1.jpeg
CB6ECD30-E0E4-4365-B1C9-972029EB0A6C.jpeg
E6E2FE21-EA12-4DAE-9CA3-BE9EF66E4A91.jpeg
D064C316-368B-4390-B2FE-2A2BD8A78375.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score
good job! i'd say not many people would even notice that. I sure wouldnt have.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Were those new pieces recessed to fit over the npt bungs? They look really nice!

sidcastle

Reaction score
would never even known that wasn't how it was supposed to be. those are some of the shiniest tanks I have ever seen...

Dana757

Reaction score
Were those new pieces recessed to fit over the npt bungs? They look really nice!

No they sit on top of the other bungs. Have a step that drops inside the og fittings so they didn't move around during welding. You can see the weld seam if you look close.

Last edited:

Dana757

Reaction score
would never even known that wasn't how it was supposed to be. those are some of the shiniest tanks I have ever seen...
It better shine for what it cost! lol 304s.s. so it should stay nice.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
No they sit on top of the other bungs. Have a step that drops inside the og fittings so they didn't move around during welding. The guy who welded them is a bad ass welder. You can see the weld seam if you look close.
Crap! Just enlarged the pic and can see the weld...looks like a fusion with little, if any, filler. You'd never know the tank had been modified at all. Who did the tank fabrication? Did you give them templates or a diagram?

Dana757

Reaction score
Crap! Just enlarged the pic and can see the weld...looks like a fusion with little, if any, filler. You'd never know the tank had been modified at all. Who did the tank fabrication? Did you give them templates or a diagram?
Imco did it off a very rough sketch. And yes, fusion with no filler.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Looks great.

What I've done successfully in the past for repairing threads on stuff that shouldn't have chips in it is to regulate 3psi or so of compressed air into another fitting so that chips blow out while I'm running the tap/drilling/etc...and also use a heavy grease on the tap (brush tapping oil on the threads first, the heavy grease will stick the chips to the tap).

I just finished repairing bleeder threads on some brembo calipers by installing time-serts and re-cutting the bleeder seats without a single chip entering the caliper using this method.

Dana757

Reaction score
Looks great.

What I've done successfully in the past for repairing threads on stuff that shouldn't have chips in it is to regulate 3psi or so of compressed air into another fitting so that chips blow out while I'm running the tap/drilling/etc...and also use a heavy grease on the tap (brush tapping oil on the threads first, the heavy grease will stick the chips to the tap).

I just finished repairing bleeder threads on some brembo calipers by installing time-serts and re-cutting the bleeder seats without a single chip entering the caliper using this method.
Thanks! I was going to do the air / grease but I couldn’t block off the other 3. That and I really dislike NPT threads. I wanted all o ring bungs from the start but they wouldn’t do it. Even if I supplied them it was still a big nope.

sintax

Reaction score
I meant to ask yesterday, I assume the 4 ports on the top are returns, and that giant monster on the bottom is the feed to the pump? What size hose are you running from tank to pump?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Stainless tanks are a bitch to fabricate, they material just doesn't present itself for great welding in open root or outside corner configuration. You can't put heat sinks inside the tank after the baffles are in either. It's tedious.

I blew a customer's up a few years ago almost killed myself, still had just enough fumes in it after a full flush out and turned into jiffy pop, i ended up having to rebuild it from scratch.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 87
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 80
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 79

lenmann

Reaction score
Stainless tanks are a bitch to fabricate, they material just doesn't present itself for great welding in open root or outside corner configuration. You can't put heat sinks inside the tank after the baffles are in either. It's tedious.

I blew a customer's up a few years ago almost killed myself, still had just enough fumes in it after a full flush out and turned into jiffy pop, i ended up having to rebuild it from scratch.

HOLEE SHIT! Just looking at that scares the crap outta me. I have read that back purging the tank with argon helps avoid that. That said, I haven't welded a fuel tank since I popped a Hodaka Super Rat tank back in the 70's trying to oxy braze a split seam. Glad you were unharmed.