WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Business banking?

Inland Air Balance

Certified in something
Reaction score
With so many board members that are business owners who do you use?
We were with Opus when they bought our little local bank, then they closed that branch. Now we use a credit union, great people up there but they aren't really in the "business banking" business. I'd like to open another account with a more business friendly bank, preferable one that hasn't been in the news about ripping people off.
Bank of the West, Citizens, City National are a few that have caught my eye for no particular reason.

So who do you use, and why?

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We use Farmers & Merchants (F&M) We are happy. We are able to do international wire transfers now without going to the bank, which is nice.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have found the small banks always better then the large ones. The people know who you are and will cut you a deal. Recently I needed 25k, like yesterday. I went into the local branch of my small biz bank( they have 4 total branches) explained too them why I needed it. 15 mins later I had the money in my account and a week later so did they. It was for personal so I could not just pull it out of my line of credit( well u could have, but not ethically) if you go into deposit a check and you need the funds now, they will call the check in and get you the cash now. I have done it for as small as 2k and as big as 114k. Both took less then 20 mins

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I have found the small banks always better then the large ones. The people know who you are and will cut you a deal. Recently I needed 25k, like yesterday. I went into the local branch of my small biz bank( they have 4 total branches) explained too them why I needed it. 15 mins later I had the money in my account and a week later so did they. It was for personal so I could not just pull it out of my line of credit( well u could have, but not ethically) if you go into deposit a check and you need the funds now, they will call the check in and get you the cash now. I have done it for as small as 2k and as big as 114k. Both took less then 20 mins
Have to be careful that they are not too small though. My son is a jr VP at a 3 branch bank in Colorado Springs. They will only lend on commercial real estate. No equipment, no personal, etc.

We had a nice 75k business line of credit from Union Bank, where we banked at the time. During the recession, they yanked it. No lates, never an issue, just removed the credit line with no explanation. We changed to F&M.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Have to be careful that they are not too small though. My son is a jr VP at a 3 branch bank in Colorado Springs. They will only lend on commercial real estate. No equipment, no personal, etc.

We had a nice 75k business line of credit from Union Bank, where we banked at the time. During the recession, they yanked it. No lates, never an issue, just removed the credit line with no explanation. We changed to F&M.

I had a 250k with chase and a 250k limit visa, with in 1 year they both had dropped too under 10k, then I had an issue with the visa. To this date I will not take a check from a chase bank.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Another vote here for City National. They seem to be very pro-small business and willing to help grow small, to medium-large businesses. My son-in-law has been with them for nearly twenty years and has taken a $5 million business to over $70 million. You might have seen him a couple of years ago doing a TV commercial for City National.

RCDave

Reaction score
City National sold a few years back to Royal Bank of Canada. Anyone speak French?

Englewood

Reaction score
I use California Bank and Trust...Geared towards business...My checks are available instantly and we do alot of volume since we have over 400 Realtors. I havent had a single problem in 10 years. If I want a line of credit, call the VP and they take care of you.

Even better...I walk in and don't want for 30 minutes for one of the 2 tellers like at Chase/BofA/Etc.

MrsVP

Reaction score
We use Chase. I have a great relationship with our banker, as well as the branch manager. I never have any issues with checks being held, getting cash, waiting in line, anything. I'm one of the only people that all of the employees greet by name. I made it a point when I opened an account there to meet with not only my banker, but also the branch manager to have a good relationship, and it hasn't let me down yet.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
US bank has pointedly lied to me on two significant loans on different occasions. Don't trust them when its important. I will be leaving them shortly, I could not directly after the second, more blatant issue, due to other entanglements. It would have gotten expensive to do so. I have spent the last little while cleaning up ties so I can separate on my best terms. For the most part, they work but I just cannot trust them.

As the saying goes, "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice...….."

DLC

Reaction score
Smaller banks seem to work better. You have better relationships when the bank knows their customers.

Wife works at a concierge / private bank and they jump thru hoops to work with their customers and the customers needs.
They don’t have a lot of walk in customers.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I would look for a good banker and go with them. Each bank branch can operate a little differently depending on the branch manager. Every banker has their own experiences which makes up their decision making and whether or not they are willing to override computer systems because it makes common sense. What I would try to do is make sure you set up your account with the office where you plan on doing your transactions at so they will get used to you and the type of transactions you do.

MrsVP

Reaction score
I would look for a good banker and go with them. Each bank branch can operate a little differently depending on the branch manager. Every banker has their own experiences which makes up their decision making and whether or not they are willing to override computer systems because it makes common sense. What I would try to do is make sure you set up your account with the office where you plan on doing your transactions at so they will get used to you and the type of transactions you do.
Exactly.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
US bank has pointedly lied to me on two significant loans on different occasions. Don't trust them when its important. I will be leaving them shortly, I could not directly after the second, more blatant issue, due to other entanglements. It would have gotten expensive to do so. I have spent the last little while cleaning up ties so I can separate on my best terms. For the most part, they work but I just cannot trust them.

As the saying goes, "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice...….."

I left US bank 6 months ago...personal banking...they blew and charged monthly maintenance fee...our business account is with Bof A and those a=holes closed the Kingman branch so ATM only for the time being....it is a pain in the balls to change a business account.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Use union bank. It’s love and hate thing, but I don’t really deal with it and accounting does.

Typically do all overseas wire transfers through Amex, or bank. We are able to scan and deposit checks through a scanner, unless a large one (not sure of amount, think over 6 figures) we take it in.

HotRod82

Reaction score
Chase has been great for us...but you need to have a decent balance with them to be a "chase private client" on the personal side, and have a personal commercial banker on the business side. Once you are established with them, they bend over backwards to help you. No one can touch their rates on income property loans.....

HSR

Reaction score
Not sure where you’re at, but I’ve had better service with local-ish banks. In Arizona I bank with National Bank of Arizona. Very happy with them. Same parent company owns banks in Nevada, Texas, etc. Zions Bancorp is the parent company. Very personal feel.

82daytona

Reaction score
Chase has been great for us...but you need to have a decent balance with them to be a "chase private client" on the personal side, and have a personal commercial banker on the business side. Once you are established with them, they bend over backwards to help you. No one can touch their rates on income property loans.....

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk