WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Business Owners....where do you post jobs?

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
I was using Indeed for a short time, but they keep deleting my account. I have no idea why, other then perhaps they don't like the fact I'm advertising for services that require doing surveillance of people? Maybe a cancel culture /libtard thing. I cant complain too much, I was not on their paid service as it's way too expensive for all the absurdly unqualified people I was getting applications from. It was somewhat turning into a comedy show. But I was getting a few good one's here and there. Nonetheless I cant keep spending time setting up accounts only for it to be deleted. There's no one you can chat with at Indeed other then an email form that no one ever responds too.

I'm starting to get more and more people reach out to me about jobs, but it's not enough. I still need people desperately. What platform are business owners here using to find people?

Thank you

Singleton

Reaction score
Free services are limited IMO.
When my wife had the bakery running and we used a commissary kitchen, we used indeed and had the same results. Ended up using FB since our labor requirements were minimal.

For skilled labor, try LinkedIn, but you need to pay for that services as well.

seanroberts

Reaction score
What area are you located in? I might have a few suggestions depending on the area. I use indeed sometimes depending on the area.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
What area are you located in? I might have a few suggestions depending on the area. I use indeed sometimes depending on the area.
Maricopa County
Austin Texas Metro
Tampa FL Metro
Jacksonville FL Metro
Atlanta Metro
Nashville Metro
State of Maryland

I'm going to try to Zip, looked them this morning. They have a free trial and then 16 bucks a day for per ad.

What a nitemare all this is. I get people barely qualified to run a mop bucket, hence the reason I hesitate to pay. I feel many are just applying to comply with unemployment requirements? I love people who apply for a limited P/T job in say Atlanta who live in Chicago. Are you planning on driving 12 hours to work for 5? Had a girl the other day who does not have a car, she uses Uber. How in the heck are you going to follow someone and provide stationary surveillance in a an Uber?

Were we all this stupid when we were 25, and I just don't remember?

seanroberts

Reaction score
Rough areas for help for sure. I’ve had to raise pay all over to get and keep people. I would say stay with the free on indeed, I do just as well with the pay as I do with the free. I look for veteran training programs because I can normally grab a few people from those. I also try the local law enforcement to see if any are looking for off duty or if they have a contact for retired LEO’s. I don’t do surveillance I’m in the high threat protection side. So it’s always what state and how to get quality people. Let me know if you need anything.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
not an owner but involved in hiring. we have had the best luck with asking our current guys if they know anyone looking for work. tried indeed, zip, local college boards and craigslist. all we got was societal rejects and people looking to fill the requirement to stay on unemployment. we are looking for warehouse workers though, not a whole lot of skill required.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
As someone looking for a position, I feel all of the platforms stink. I'm looking for remote work, and it is so difficult to filter jobs. For example, there are a TON of contract tutoring positions. Because they are remote, they are listed in every major city so they show up in every search. But for me, they completely fill my feed with jobs that I have no interest in. Additionally, all of the fed jobs show up there, even if they are only internal hires. Many jobs don't list any kind of pay range either.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I'll share my thoughts from the employee side. When I was looking for a job a lot of application process are really intimidating. Sometimes the online applications just fuck up and keep an applicant from completing the application because of one stupid question that is unanswerable.
There is a lot of good work talent out there... the same talent doesn't have much talent filling out applications. Keep the application process simple and post where non mainstream talent would look for a job. I've asked to do an in person interview and got ignored. If you have an HR department and are lacking applicants take a look at the HR department and see if they are even doing their job.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
I'll share my thoughts from the employee side. When I was looking for a job a lot of application process are really intimidating. Sometimes the online applications just fuck up and keep an applicant from completing the application because of one stupid question that is unanswerable.
There is a lot of good work talent out there... the same talent doesn't have much talent filling out applications. Keep the application process simple and post where non mainstream talent would look for a job. I've asked to do an in person interview and got ignored. If you have an HR department and are lacking applicants take a look at the HR department and see if they are even doing their job.
Great answer

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I am curious as well. Good applicants don't exist. Where did the work force go??

I was talking to my friend in St George yesterday. He moved up there Years ago and opened a small shop. Just three racks.

He's doing Everything himself now.

He's burnt. 😔

evantwheeler

Reaction score
What is your company onboarding and training process like? I think you hire the candidate that you can best train, assuming you have some kind of training program in place. Its very unlikely you find a candidate that fills your needs from day 1. If you are looking for turnkey employees, you need to pay a headhunter to aggressively pursue the candidate (s) that fit your roles and pay them accordingly to leave their current position.

I would look into veteran placement programs that seek out jobs for veterans transitioning back to civilian life.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Put a salary range and phone number to call in the ad. When I was job hunting, I don't want to sign up for some website, fill out a bunch of shit, and wait for someone to maybe call me back someday to tell me they pay $15/hr for a $50/hr position that isn't really a good match for me, even though the vague description on the job posting was right up my alley.

We can both (employee and employer) after 5 minutes on the phone determine whether it's worth spending more time on the phone.

C-2

Reaction score
I would check with some of the PI trade/process server associations. Join their FB groups and pose the same questions. Maybe even sub out some of the work thru them.

f12517

Reaction score
I don't....I've given up on posting for jobs online. I'll post signage at the shop. Ask my guys to recruit people, hit up their friends. Ask vendors if they know anyone they can refer, I'll ask good, long term customers if they know anyone looking.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Looks like everyone is in the same boat. Just a crap time in the world that may never get fixed. If I were not in my 50's & too old to start over, I would flush owning a business down the toilet, and go be a park ranger, or rent chairs on the beach.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
I gave up hiring to fill positions. I have gotten good results (or just lucky) hiring people that "fit in" with our group of guys. If you "fit in" I can train you to be successful.

Hard part nowadays is finding the fit.
So many unmotivated youngsters. Offering free pizza day. Or some made up bullshit title seems to motivate these kids.

C-2

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Looks like everyone is in the same boat. Just a crap time in the world that may never get fixed. If I were not in my 50's & too old to start over, I would flush owning a business down the toilet, and go be a park ranger, or rent chairs on the beach.
It’s never too late! Just some food for thought…I worked as a PI since 1988, had my own agency with staff, etc etc. But at age 48 I returned to community college. At age 50, I was hired as an investigator for the State. 5 years later - I don’t miss being a business owner at all. I kick ass for the State, and have zero baggage left over after my workday is finished.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
I worked as a PI since 1988, had my own agency with staff, etc etc. - I don’t miss being a business owner at all. I kick ass for the State, and have zero baggage left over after my workday is finished.

This is turning into a crappy business for sure. If it's not the employees its the clients. They're getting worse and worse. Technology these days allow many people who have some mild intelligence to do a lot of this stuff themselves. So now we're left with what amounts to crud at the bottom of the coffee cup after you've enjoyed the coffee, and they're just so difficult to deal with. The old sayin- people live in the ghetto because they act like they live in the ghetto....my clients live in the ghetto.

Wish I had done the bogus PPP Loan claims like everyone else, walked with 500K+, and my finger in the air.

Thanks again for the replies.

retaocleg

Reaction score
sounds like forums for toys has an abundance of people with jobs........who knew?

C-2

Reaction score
This is turning into a crappy business for sure. If it's not the employees its the clients. They're getting worse and worse. Technology these days allow many people who have some mild intelligence to do a lot of this stuff themselves. So now we're left with what amounts to crud at the bottom of the coffee cup after you've enjoyed the coffee, and they're just so difficult to deal with. The old sayin- people live in the ghetto because they act like they live in the ghetto....my clients live in the ghetto.

Wish I had done the bogus PPP Loan claims like everyone else, walked with 500K+, and my finger in the air.

Thanks again for the replies.
Spot on.

“Oh, and we need it yesterday and the budget is $100 and not a penny more.”

Hang in there bud. ☹️

JFMFG

Reaction score
I’ve had decent luck with indeed. But it’s rough to find good people. Good luck with your search

zhandfull

Reaction score
At my employers last job posting, seventeen applied. All were offered a first interview. Ten accepted and only six showed up. 😁

Think we may have found one person to fill three open positions.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We use indeed. It works, but it is not inexpensive. Hiring is really rough. Once they are hired, it's worse.

Here is one from today:

One of our new employees was 30 minutes late today. When XXXX told her to be sure to be on time, she told him that she had been told she could ‘take her lunch whenever’. She thought she could take her lunch break before she came to work…I kid you not

lbhsbz

Reaction score
We use indeed. It works, but it is not inexpensive. Hiring is really rough. Once they are hired, it's worse.

Here is one from today:

One of our new employees was 30 minutes late today. When XXXX told her to be sure to be on time, she told him that she had been told she could ‘take her lunch whenever’. She thought she could take her lunch break before she came to work…I kid you not
I was always pissed that I wasn't allowed to work through lunch and leave 45 early every day.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I was always pissed that I wasn't allowed to work through lunch and leave 45 early every day.
Unfortunately, the law is strict when breaks and lunch have to happen. Sometimes we let it slide a bit but don't want any ex-employees coming back saying they were denied breaks or lunch within the guidelines.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the law is strict when breaks and lunch have to happen. Sometimes we let it slide a bit but don't want any ex-employees coming back saying they were denied breaks or lunch within the guidelines.
Yeah...I know the legal side.

The solution was to put me on salary so I worked from open to close with no lunch break. lol.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Yeah...I know the legal side.

The solution was to put me on salary so I worked from open to close with no lunch break. lol.
You would have been a better employee for it had they let you I'd bet.

I have 3 girls working for me, they make their own hours and get an hour PAID lunch. My only rules in the offices are; 1. Get your work done 2. between the 3, 2 must be in office between 9-5 at all times, other than that make your own hours between yourselves. All 3 are single moms with young kids and it works really well. They love the ability to come in late or leave early as long as there's 2 covering. Any days off have to be approved by me.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
You would have been a better employee for it had they let you I'd bet.

I have 3 girls working for me, they make their own hours and get an hour PAID lunch. My only rules in the offices are; 1. Get your work done 2. between the 3, 2 must be in office between 9-5 at all times, other than that make your own hours between yourselves. All 3 are single moms with young kids and it works really well. They love the ability to come in late or leave early as long as there's 2 covering. Any days off have to be approved by me.
You sound like a guy who has a gift for managing people.... and you may have gotten a bit lucky locating these three women.... I never discount luck.... but you've found a way to hang onto them.... folks desire flexibility today.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
You sound like a guy who has a gift for managing people.... and you may have gotten a bit lucky locating these three women.... I never discount luck.... but you've found a way to hang onto them.... folks desire flexibility today.
Being as my business is sales I've found the best employees are already working somewhere else... I've taken employees from the bank, enterprise rental car and retail stores. I know what type of training they go through and how hard they work, plus I get to see how they treat customers (me) in real time. Work ethic, personality and appearance can't be trained, everything else can. Although I don't discount luck myself, I'd say "hunting" (recruiting) for the right fit is more effective than "fishing" (indeed, job search engines, etc).

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Being as my business is sales I've found the best employees are already working somewhere else... I've taken employees from the bank, enterprise rental car and retail stores. I know what type of training they go through and how hard they work, plus I get to see how they treat customers (me) in real time. Work ethic, personality and appearance can't be trained, everything else can. Although I don't discount luck myself, I'd say "hunting" (recruiting) for the right fit is more effective than "fishing" (indeed, job search engines, etc).
Like the sound of that.... reminded me of my pops in VA. He owned a successful advertising & printing firm and as a kid I'd watch him meet folks in his daily activities out and about.... even when buying a car if he liked the way the salesman treated him he'd be trying to hire him off that job. He had the gift too.... he actually had employees stay with him entire careers.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Something I notice as an employee, an applicant, is a lot of companies use verbiage in their job postings that will make the applicant self eliminate themselves from applying, for non management roles. Biggest one I see is companies want so many years experience for a position that is a bit more than basic. And then there is the formal education requirement for the same bit more than basic position. And they'll make the position seem bigger and more responsible than what it really is.
So with all that then there is the pay wage... good for the guy with some experience that just self eliminated themself and too little pay for the person that meets those requirements.
For a basic knowledge position I would think employers would want someone with less than 2 years experience. That's less untraining of other companies habits and gives you almost a clean slate to train your employee on how your companies operates.