WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Business travel

gqchris

Reaction score
American Airline food isnt too bad these days. Beef Short Rib. Pretty tasty considering.

LAX to PHL for a “holiday party”. Just tried to get into the Admirals Club with my First Class ticket and now you have to have status to enter🤦🏻‍♂️ or….flying to JFK gets ya in with the ticket. Oh well.

71865971833__3B44AB1C-6B6C-4490-BD24-4B9822E69193.jpeg

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Any of the usual suspects have decent programs that are worth signing up for.

I fly American and have 4 million miles - at any given time I have about 1 million in my bank.

While I'm not usually in a hurry to use them very often for myself - it's nice to have them for my kids to travel etc.

When a first class seat to London for the weekend cost $12,500 - I can use a 100k - 200k miles and it won't cost a cent!

The nice thing about American (and other big ones) is I can fly other airlines and get miles - like Etihad or Quantas or Alaska etc.

The trip you are doing now might even get you a flight or possibly be enough use those miles to upgrade your next flight.

I also have a CC that gets me AA miles.

CC miles won't goes towards your total mikes traveled but will give you "miles" you can use for upgrades or free tickets.

The real benefit I get day to day is boarding first and getting choice seats - I very rarely am the guy in the isle looking for a place for my carry on - I boarded first and it's tucked in my over head while I watch people walk back to the front of the plane and check their bag.
I used to talk like that.... ugh

When you get freed of the Hamster wheel life gets better if young enough to enjoy whats left.

DWC

Reaction score
I’ll miss the free upgrades and perks when I hang it up. It’s nice to board early and get the occasional bump to first. My area is pretty solid. There are a few places i don’t love but nothing i truly hate. The one thing I won’t miss is sitting in traffic for a couple hours to hit LA.

gqchris

Reaction score
You havent earned your “business traveler badge” until you have changed in an airport bathroom after landing to head straight to the office!

Pro Tip: Find the family ones where you get the whole room.

IMG_9290.jpeg

gqchris

Reaction score
I used to talk like that.... ugh

When you get freed of the Hamster wheel life gets better if young enough to enjoy whats left.
I wacthed the Clint Wastwood movie “The Mule” on the plane this morning, and I dont know if the timing was just right or what, but I can assure you I am making some changes in regards to family life and being home more. It gets old and that movie hit home how precious time is.

DWC

Reaction score
You havent earned your “business traveler badge” until you have changed in an airport bathroom after landing to head straight to the office!

View attachment 1310628
Been there just a few times. (Handicap stalls work pretty good too) Usually I’m putting shorts back on for the flight home. Standing on top of my shoes while changing is always a blast.

ltbaney1

Reaction score

View attachment 1310628
please tell me you are not barefoot in a airport bathroom?!?! if so please refer yourself to the toenail fungus thread for some tips.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I stand on a towel but honestly I’ll just change in the parking lot of the rental car. I’m used to it from umpiring. When i umpire i have carpet squares in my truck or trunk I stand on.

Done-it-again

Reaction score

View attachment 1310628
Cant say that I have... I usually travel in what I'm wearing to who I'm meeting. But then again most of the time i fly in the day before.

Singleton

Reaction score

View attachment 1310628
Or had to shower and changed in the United Club.

I still remember the days, red-eye from Honolulu to SFO on a Wednesday. Shower and put on suit at the United Club @ SFO. Car to customer site for meetings with customer and my team, then back to SFO and I was on the 4pm flight back to Honolulu to work Thursday and Friday with my Hawaii team. Did that BS for 8 weeks and was one of the reasons I stopped doing business consulting.

Only benefit. It was all first class travel. I told my boss, no F’n way I am doing this in coach.

gqchris

Reaction score
Cant say that I have... I usually travel in what I'm wearing to who I'm meeting. But then again most of the time i fly in the day before.
I refuse to fly in a suit on coast to coast flight. Hell no. Lol. I know thats how all the old timers did it back in the day but hard pass! 😬

gqchris

Reaction score
please tell me you are not barefoot in a airport bathroom?!?! if so please refer yourself to the toenail fungus thread for some tips.
Who has to change socks? We are talking shorts into slacks and sport coat type activity here. Not a full bird bath! 😂

gqchris

Reaction score
I stand on a towel but honestly I’ll just change in the parking lot of the rental car. I’m used to it from umpiring. When i umpire i have carpet squares in my truck or trunk I stand on.
Yea I have done the hertz bathroom change also. But its hit and miss at some airport locations.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I refuse to fly in a suit on coast to coast flight. Hell no. Lol. I know thats how all the old timers did it back in the day but hard pass! 😬
I don't wear suits that much and only a handful of times flying, but I would rather fly in a suit than bust out a "Clark Kent" in a bathroom.

Singleton

Reaction score
I don't wear suits that much and only a handful of times flying, but I would rather fly in a suit than bust out a "Clark Kent" in a bathroom.
100% depends on length of flight.
I fly west to east for customers often - no way I am wearing a suit. Quick jump onto Vegas, SF (under 2hrs), I will do it. Try to fly day before now. Travel plus customer meetings same day, can go wrong quickly these days

gqchris

Reaction score
100% depends on length of flight.
I fly west to east for customers often - no way I am wearing a suit. Quick jump onto Vegas, SF (under 2hrs), I will do it. Try to fly day before now. Travel plus customer meetings same day, can go wrong quickly these days
Yup same here. I used to fly suited up to SJC and back same day 4 days a week. Not even considered a flight in my book. You spend more time at the airports then the plane.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score

View attachment 1310628
Or forced to check your carry-on bag at gate, your flight is delayed. You then get re-routed. Get your destination, your luggage is lost (ends up in Austin instead of Atlanta). Retail stores are closed, and retail stores still closed in morning. Have to wear shorts and a polo shirt to client’s office. I gave them a heads up and they were cool about it. Stopped at Macy’s after day 1 and bought some new clothes, which employer reimbursed me for. The funny part was getting the call from United baggage in Austin saying they had my luggage. I said, great, my business trip next week is to Austin, I’ll pick it up then. Pretty nice not having to pack for that trip. lol. I don’t travel much anymore, can’t say I miss it. So much wasted time. Safe travels!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

View attachment 1310628
Did that twice at crappy bars this weekend taking off my long John’s in the middle of a motorcycle run. Any tips on removing the socks that are stuck in my boots after stepping on the bathroom floor? Also the sticky that might be left behind……

🤢🤢

🤮🤮🤮

🤑🤑🤑🤑

Singleton

Reaction score
Yup same here. I used to fly suited up to SJC and back same day 4 days a week. Not even considered a flight in my book. You spend more time at the airports then the plane.
Your brining back bad memories.
Back in the late 90’s (before the crash), I was doing the same. 6am LAX to SJC on United, work all day and back to LAX on the 9pm flight. It was cheaper then getting a hotel in those days and I was on an internal project so no expense account. Plus my girlfriend liked that I was home each night.

Did that for 4 months, then we picked up another project in Houston that was built off the work my team was doing in SJC. It paid money and resulted in Monday 6am to SJC, Tuesday red-eye to Houston, Thursday 9pm back to SJC and finally back home to LAX on Friday 5pm. Tuesday I would drop laundry off at hotel in SJC and it would be placed in whatever hotel room I would check into on Thursday. Did the same on Thursday so only had a suitcase on my Houston trips. That lasted 6 months until client in Houston had an accounting issue :)

The miles and hotel credits were nice, BUT it ruined my relationship and wore we out. Soon after I jump from business consulting to IT Security Auditing.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I wacthed the Clint Wastwood movie “The Mule” on the plane this morning, and I dont know if the timing was just right or what, but I can assure you I am making some changes in regards to family life and being home more. It gets old and that movie hit home how precious time is.
Nobody ever gets just how fast life passes us by and whats most important

gqchris

Reaction score
Your brining back bad memories.
Back in the late 90’s (before the crash), I was doing the same. 6am LAX to SJC on United, work all day and back to LAX on the 9pm flight. It was cheaper then getting a hotel in those days and I was on an internal project so no expense account. Plus my girlfriend liked that I was home each night.

Did that for 4 months, then we picked up another project in Houston that was built off the work my team was doing in SJC. It paid money and resulted in Monday 6am to SJC, Tuesday red-eye to Houston, Thursday 9pm back to SJC and finally back home to LAX on Friday 5pm. Tuesday I would drop laundry off at hotel in SJC and it would be placed in whatever hotel room I would check into on Thursday. Did the same on Thursday so only had a suitcase on my Houston trips. That lasted 6 months until client in Houston had an accounting issue :)

The miles and hotel credits were nice, BUT it ruined my relationship and wore we out. Soon after I jump from business consulting to IT Security Auditing.

Thats a single young mans sport! Could never do that married or with kids anymore. That schedule is brutal! 6 months of hell!

Im in IT also. Do you do Pen testing or more of HIPPA assement audits etc? Always good to have a friend when needed!

Reactions: DWC

Singleton

Reaction score
Thats a single young mans sport! Could never do that married or with kids anymore. That schedule is brutal! 6 months of hell!

Im in IT also. Do you do Pen testing or more of HIPPA assement audits etc? Always good to have a friend when needed!
I used to do pen testing, HIPPA assessments, IT audit in support of ICFR, with a speciality in custom software. Did that for a few years, then went IT Compliance / Internal Audit. I now do sales engineering for the latest SAAS software company with a focus in Security & Controls.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Flying AA back from Ft Lauderdale with a layover in DFW then home to ONT where I’m parked.

Leaving the first airport the Tug driver fucked up and broke the tow bar on push back, crashed into the strut. Had to go back to gate for maint to inspect for same then paperwork. 2 hour delay which missed my connection. Rebooked a late flight to LAX, planned to UBER back to ONT.

Leaving DFW on a 777 to LAX, pushed back but had to return due to fuel light issue in cockpit. After an hour they pushed back again, Tug driver fucked up, broke tow bar, tweaked strut and plane couldn’t move. Needed a special Tug that can lift the front wheel to get back to gate, three hour delay and flight canceled. No problem, they had another 777 ready a few gates over but then they told us it is scheduled to depart at 2:30am! Fuck that, got a room in the Grand Hyatt in term D, on a morning flight to ONT.

You can’t make this shit up!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Flying AA back from Ft Lauderdale with a layover in DFW then home to ONT where I’m parked.

Leaving the first airport the Tug driver fucked up and broke the tow bar on push back, crashed into the strut. Had to go back to gate for maint to inspect for same then paperwork. 2 hour delay which missed my connection. Rebooked a late flight to LAX, planned to UBER back to ONT.

Leaving DFW on a 777 to LAX, pushed back but had to return due to fuel light issue in cockpit. After an hour they pushed back again, Tug driver fucked up, broke tow bar, tweaked strut and plane couldn’t move. Needed a special Tug that can lift the front wheel to get back to gate, three hour delay and flight canceled. No problem, they had another 777 ready a few gates over but then they told us it is scheduled to depart at 2:30am! Fuck that, got a room in the Grand Hyatt in term D, on a morning flight to ONT.

You can’t make this shit up!
That’s AA for you!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me glad I don’t have to fly anywhere to make money. Too big for coach anyway.
Yup..... consider yourself lucky....the guys that do tend to share their tales of upgrades, points and "perks" .... its a brutal existence for sure.... but when they're caught up doing it we feel special somehow and really don't see effects till much later. Alcoholism, obesity, leg tumors/ clots abound. Ask me how I know.....;)

boatnam2

Reaction score
Got to fly fist class Long beach to Hawaii both way after winning bids to upgrade to first class, not sure i got my 500 bucks worth drinking but i sure tried, that and not sitting next to a crying, shitting baby made it worthwhile .

Singleton

Reaction score
Yup..... consider yourself lucky....the guys that do tend to share their tales of upgrades, points and "perks" .... its a brutal existence for sure.... but when they're caught up doing it we feel special somehow and really don't see effects till much later. Alcoholism, obesity, leg tumors/ clots abound. Ask me how I know.....;)
Thankful I learned the negative early in life.
The perks now, allow for family vacations with almost zero out of pocket expenses

HBCraig

Reaction score
Up in norcal for biz. Walked put the elevator to go to the bar and there's a dude in a dress. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

DWC

Reaction score
What would you change?

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… my last business flight was in 1966 maybe it was 65… I guess that means I must’ve had a job🤷🏽‍♀️

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Cut it out… I travel 22 weeks out of the year. I’m a solid 170 right now and I haven’t had a drop in 10 years. I spend more time playing baseball with my kids than most dads who work a straight 40 with no travel. Life is what you make of it. Ask me how I know 😉

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Any of the usual suspects have decent programs that are worth signing up for.

I fly American and have 4 million miles - at any given time I have about 1 million in my bank.

While I'm not usually in a hurry to use them very often for myself - it's nice to have them for my kids to travel etc.

When a first class seat to London for the weekend cost $12,500 - I can use a 100k - 200k miles and it won't cost a cent!

The nice thing about American (and other big ones) is I can fly other airlines and get miles - like Etihad or Quantas or Alaska etc.

The trip you are doing now might even get you a flight or possibly be enough use those miles to upgrade your next flight.

I also have a CC that gets me AA miles.

CC miles won't goes towards your total mikes traveled but will give you "miles" you can use for upgrades or free tickets.

The real benefit I get day to day is boarding first and getting choice seats - I very rarely am the guy in the isle looking for a place for my carry on - I boarded first and it's tucked in my over head while I watch people walk back to the front of the plane and check their bag.

One of few good things about airline travel these days is the upgraded cabin interiors. The new overhead bins have put an end to the search for carry on space. The last half-a-dozen times I've flown there were no calls for gate checked bags. Whichever Boeing engineer figured that out deserves their bonus.

sirbob

Reaction score
One of few good things about airline travel these days is the upgraded cabin interiors. The new overhead bins have put an end to the search for carry on space. The last half-a-dozen times I've flown there were no calls for gate checked bags. Whichever Boeing engineer figured that out deserves their bonus.
Well it did come in conjunction with the mandate that carry on bags are smaller now. The redesign and encouragement to place your carry on in by standing it on end was only possible with the smaller bag size limit.

Last edited:

Warlock1

Reaction score
North Dakota this week, damn it is cold up here

Attachments

• 20231211_230509.jpg
    20231211_230509.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19

Markus

Reaction score

Airport family bathrooms are also good for changing back into sleep-friendly attire before boarding an intercontinental flight.

Markus

Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me glad I don’t have to fly anywhere to make money. Too big for coach anyway.

Business travel is worse than you can imagine.

(Yes, first class on AA from JFK to LAX and SFO is nice, but that's pretty much it when it comes to US domestic travel).

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Cut it out… I travel 22 weeks out of the year. I’m a solid 170 right now and I haven’t had a drop in 10 years. I spend more time playing baseball with my kids than most dads who work a straight 40 with no travel. Life is what you make of it. Ask me how I know 😉
You are one sexy Beast my man and I for one am happy for ya. Sounds like you found the Holy Grail

*Party Disclaimer notice

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Im gay now? Guys I'm fucking gay now! I need to go celebrate after this friggin hangover goes away.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
It was a general comment about the potential advantages of travelling 22 weeks per year.
Appreciate that. I just didn't get why you jumped in on a comment I sent to @BHC Vic. We all have bad moments online and we're cool. Till we're not 😂

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
You win some you lose some. First flight delayed so second flight got changed. Bummer
IMG_0207.png
IMG_0208.png

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Why fly southwest to salt lake? Delta has a direct flight out of ONT. I was on the 6am flight.
I know it’s cheaper to fly southwest but they will fly my delta if I ask. I wanted a late flight since yesterday was my nephews 1st birthday and Thursday is my wife’s birthday. Kind of backfired I’m exhausted right now

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I know it’s cheaper to fly southwest but they will fly my delta if I ask. I wanted a late flight since yesterday was my nephews 1st birthday and Thursday is my wife’s birthday. Kind of backfired I’m exhausted right now
You should really check. Southwest is not much cheaper unless you are booking 2 weeks ahead of time.