WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Buy the boat......you never know when you will get that phone call

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Four years ago today my outlook on life changed completely, phone rings and you find out your wife has a 50 / 50 chance of being alive in five years. Its been four years today and she kicked cancers ass but we will never stop worrying. Dont procrastinate on living life, even though its not allowed on RDP, go ahead and finance the boat, car, truck, vacation home, fuck it, if you can pull it off do it, you never know when that call will come.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Four years ago today my outlook on life changed completely, phone rings and you find out your wife has a 50 / 50 chance of being alive in five years. Its been four years today and she kicked cancers ass but we will never stop worrying. Dont procrastinate on living life, even though its not allowed on RDP, go ahead and finance the boat, car, truck, vacation home, fuck it, if you can pull it off do it, you never know when that call will come.

Best to you and the Mrs. You got to do what you can with the time that you have. Hopefully it will be longer than what they are telling you. I know a person that was given 1 year 10 years ago. Make the best that you can and don’t worry about anyone that can’t understand why you are doing what you do. Find yourself your core group of friends, discuss your situation. If they get upset they are not true friends. I know that I constantly am reviewing who we are exposed to and if the bring something to the friendship or only TAKE.

I am right the with you and your wife, but 2.5 years behind. My number one goal is to try to have the best time possible awhile we have the health. Made a few changes but still hard to get over the fact in the back of my wife’s mind that she will not be here in a few years. It kills me to see someone think that and I am not able to change her mindset. The topper was my father’s death last week. He was the father to her that she never had.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Had this conversation with Mrs RR last December after my mom passed.
not so much Fuck it! But ‘if not now then when?’ do we do what we want to do.

you looked at my Magic about 5 years ago, amazing how fast time flys

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Best to you and the Mrs. You got to do what you can with the time that you have. Hopefully it will be longer than what they are telling you. I know a person that was given 1 year 10 years ago. Make the best that you can and don’t worry about anyone that can’t understand why you are doing what you do. Find yourself your core group of friends, discuss your situation. If they get upset they are not true friends. I know that I constantly am reviewing who we are exposed to and if the bring something to the friendship or only TAKE.

I am right the with you and your wife, but 2.5 years behind. My number one goal is to try to have the best time possible awhile we have the health. Made a few changes but still hard to get over the fact in the back of my wife’s mind that she will not be here in a few years. It kills me to see someone think that and I am not able to change her mindset. The topper was my father’s death last week. He was the father to her that she never had.

My wife has been cancer free for three years now, but she will never be out of the woods, the quarterly check ups and body scans are terrifying every time. She was diagnosed with the worst form of breast cancer, triple negative, its a 50% survival rate while some forms of breast cancer are now in the 90% plus survival rate. The upside of triple negative is that if you beat it you are statistically in the best survival statistics, ie if you beat the worst one you have the highest probability of it never coming back.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Walt - I agree 100%. Congrats to you both.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Walt - I agree 100%. Congrats to you both.

Have not seen you here much lately, roll by on our evening golf cart wine cruises and things have been quiet at the SJP compound. We are leaving at the end of the month.

DWC

Reaction score
Great advice @ONE-A-DAY. We’re just about at the 10 year mark. Every lump or soreness still freaks my wife out but it continues to get more manageable. It definitely changed our outlook on buying toys and making memories. If everything works as planned I’ll have everything paid off and slide into home with pennies in the bank accounts. The kids can fight over the houses and toys and close out the accounts. :cool:

RCDave

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this life experience Walt.

So glad to hear your wife is doing so well.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
My wife has been cancer free for three years now, but she will never be out of the woods, the quarterly check ups and body scans are terrifying every time. She was diagnosed with the worst form of breast cancer, triple negative, its a 50% survival rate while some forms of breast cancer are now in the 90% plus survival rate. The upside of triple negative is that if you beat it you are statistically in the best survival statistics, ie if you beat the worst one you have the highest probability of it never coming back.

Well we are much further behind you. July makes 1 year since my wife had her brain tumor removed. I know what you are talking about each quarter and the stress that happens around the scans. I’d like to know how you are able to cope as the spouse and caregiver? The last couple of months have been difficult to say the least. Had travels last month that were challenging to say the least. Now the wife does not want to travel with me on my next trip.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That’s always been my mindset.
Catch some shit on rdp for it though 😜

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Well we are much further behind you. July makes 1 year since my wife had her brain tumor removed. I know what you are talking about each quarter and the stress that happens around the scans. I’d like to know how you are able to cope as the spouse and caregiver? The last couple of months have been difficult to say the least. Had travels last month that were challenging to say the least. Now the wife does not want to travel with me on my next trip.

Hard to say, my wife is a tough SOB, she handled it better than I did. We had some amazing things done by friends and by complete strangers. Its interesting to see how things shake how, some of the people you thought would be there for you werent and some that you didnt even know were. I told her if she goes I go, I still feel that way today, Im not doing this life alone.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
YOLO!!!

I know what your saying. My mom died of cancer a week ago. She was amazing and even used to water ski at 90-95mph.

I'm going with a quiver of lower river boats. I have a day cruiser, just bought an STV and am looking for a good Flatbottom to round things out.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
It’s all about living in the moment. I’m at 23 fellow Cops I personally know that died in the line of duty since I started.
My father in law was murdered in the line of duty when my wife was 6.
If you live like life isn’t for granted based on your experiences, every day is valued and all material stuff is just icing on the cake. Leaving something behind for your ancestors is big on my list, so older used stuff does just fine for us.
Making a difference each day on and off work is the key. What it’s all about in a nutshell.

Cancer sucks, mother in law has had stage 4 lung cancer for 4 years , and I’m on my 4th squamous cell (cut out) next week.

Nothing is guaranteed, next drive can easily be your last in these times

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

Every day counts.

Deb made it 6 years with HER2 positive.
Just 20 years ago that was a 3-6 month death sentence.
For 5 years it was a nuisance...a big scary nuisance with lots of hospitals, lots of treatment changes. But she never let it slow her down until she just couldn’t.
Been 2 years next month already.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
My wife is at 14 years free and that is from the 2nd go round with that shit. She's always been strong as an ox and get's her boob squishes every year if not sooner. We both cross our fingers and if I could tie my dick in a knot I'd do that each time she goes.
Keep the fight up everybody and congrats to the gals that have kicked that shit!!!!

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I got the 6 months to a year diagnosis, almost 5 years ago. Returned twice, but treatment no where as bad as the first. No issues for the last two years, but I get rescanned every 3 months.
Just in case anyone is wondering, it's a hostile world and you'll never make it our alive.
Live for today and keep an eye on tomorrow.

parker guy

Reaction score
Keep living it up Walt, you only live once....enjoy it and god bless you both.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Have not seen you here much lately, roll by on our evening golf cart wine cruises and things have been quiet at the SJP compound. We are leaving at the end of the month.

Yeah we have been laying pretty low. Cleared the calendar of all guests @ lake this year. Honestly it has been pretty nice. My wife and boys today just left with the inlaws on a Motorhome trip to their lake house in Michigan for the rest of the summer. Off the grid from everything away from crowds. Sad to see you guys leave the foothills I thought you guys may have pulled the trigger on the lambert project house mansion.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yeah we have been laying pretty low. Cleared the calendar of all guests @ lake this year. Honestly it has been pretty nice. My wife and boys today just left with the inlaws on a Motorhome trip to their lake house in Michigan for the rest of the summer. Off the grid from everything away from crowds. Sad to see you guys leave the foothills I thought you guys may have pulled the trigger on the lambert project house mansion.

Not us, thats a monster, 14,000 square feet under roof, living is something like 7000. There is a bigger one going up in the Arroyos on two lots, we know the builder, its over $2 million on the build alone, crazy.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Some of you know I lost my Mom to cancer, been 8 years now. Lost Pops 5 years previous to that...I always figured the stress from her cancer led to his heart attack. That down hill slide started 2 years after me getting my ass handed to me in a car accident. That stretch of time taught me a lot. It taught me quite a bit about my own humanity... The physical pain from being racked up was nothing in comparison to watching my Mom get sick, and nothing at all compared to getting my teeth kicked in with that call about Pops.
Life can change in an instant. Worse yet, it could just stop.
Worlds change...now I have kids and a wife that have some health issues. The world keeps changing, but at least if you're seeing that, yours hasn't stopped.

gqchris

Reaction score
I always look at it this way. As long as my bills are paid and family provided for, including daughters private school, the rest is "memories" money. When I die my wife will be set for life with insurance. Im not going to pinch every penny to live miserable.

Yup, I finance things. Yup I could love without most of it. But life is too short. My friends will know that I enjoyed my time and made the best of it!