WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Buying a boat

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
So far it's proving to be tough. . . people are telling me things like;
A manufacturer promised them a certain trade in $ amount if they buy new so they should sell no less than that figure.
400 hr 525's don't need top end work and that shouldn't figure into sale price. . .
motors redone in 2015 = brand new refurbished LoL

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So far it's proving to be tough. . . people are telling me things like;
A manufacturer promised them a certain trade in $ amount if they buy new so they should sell no less than that figure.
400 hr 525's don't need top end work and that shouldn't figure into sale price. . .
motors redone in 2015 = brand new refurbished LoL

Unfortunately, that's how it is. Though that kind of thing makes the boat appealing to a lot of buyers and certainly more marketable, it's still considered service/repair work which does not positively affect value in a trade in situation. You can bet your ass they'll use those same facts to turn around and sell your boat for top dollar once it's theirs though.

It's kind of like that in-ground pool you installed in your backyard before you sold your house (hypothetically). You could have spent 200k on an awesome pool, but your only going to get an extra 15k on your sales price as opposed to not having one. (In most markets)

I'd suggest selling your boat private party or through a brokerage to take full advantage your boats excellent care yourself.

adam909

Reaction score
it goes with the economy we are in at the time.. sucks.. I would think the next couple months would be a good time to buy due to tax season.. I'm sure you'll find something..

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's how it is. Though that kind of thing makes the boat appealing to a lot of buyers and certainly more marketable, it's still considered service/repair work which does not positively affect value in a trade in situation. You can bet your ass they'll use those same facts to turn around and sell your boat for top dollar once it's theirs though.

It's kind of like that in-ground pool you installed in your backyard before you sold your house (hypothetically). You could have spent 200k on an awesome pool, but your only going to get an extra 15k on your sales price as opposed to not having one. (In most markets)

I'd suggest selling your boat private party or through a brokerage to take full advantage your boats excellent care yourself.
I'm a buyer . . . and I got plenty of experience selling. . . as RDP knows all too well

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Its funny. When I hear someone say I just rebuilt the drive, or I just put tires on it, etc, etc. Well you can’t sell a boat with a broken drive and flat tires..... You can but what are gonna get for a broken boat? I just put new batteries in it. Ok, how are you gonna sell it with dead batteries?

Some shit is just maintenance. You don’t get more per say because you repaired the broken shit on your boat. You get less when shit doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Its funny. When I hear someone say I just rebuilt the drive, or I just put tires on it, etc, etc. Well you can’t sell a boat with a broken drive and flat tires..... You can but what are gonna get for a broken boat? I just put new batteries in it. Ok, how are you gonna sell it with dead batteries?

Some shit is just maintenance. You don’t get more per say because you repaired the broken shit on your boat. You get less when shit doesn’t work.

There is a guy who will remain nameless on FB trying to sell a 2002 25 Daytona for 85k. He says he redid most of the boat in 2015, therefore it is "brand new". . . LoL

hallett21

Reaction score
25 speedster [emoji41]

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Don’t buy into the hype Randy.

In 18 months you’ll be able to get any boat you want for half the cost it is today.

That's my hope... go another summer without a boat and hope prices drop a little next winter/early spring.

I have seen some of the ridiculous priced boats sit on the market longer lately. So maybe that's a sign of at least a plateau.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I know of a SUPER clean 25 Daytona standard deck coming up for sale that doesn't have tribal or checkers on it. If you're interested, we'll be in town this weekend if you want to see it. MCOB, 500efi.

Last edited:

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
I know of a SUPER clean 25 Daytona standard deck coming up for sale that doesn'thave tribal or checkers on it. If you're interested, we'll be in town this weekend if you want to see it. MCOB
I already made Greg a offer he could refuse. . .

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I know of an off-market 24 Schiada open-bow that you might be able to get. It has less than 70 hours on the boat.
That boat is a freaking dime piece!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
That's my hope... go another summer without a boat and hope prices drop a little next winter/early spring.

I have seen some of the ridiculous priced boats sit on the market longer lately. So maybe that's a sign of at least a plateau.
Pretty sure people say this every year. With what it costs for a new boat, I dont see the used market slowing down at all.

I listed mine at $35k and actually had a guy offer me $37k when I told him I decided not to sell.

Dmangus

Reaction score
I know of a SUPER clean 25 Daytona standard deck coming up for sale that doesn't have tribal or checkers on it. If you're interested, we'll be in town this weekend if you want to see it. MCOB, 500efi.[/QUOTE

Message me more details about this Daytona. A friends is looking for one.
Thank you

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Don’t buy into the hype Randy.

In 18 months you’ll be able to get any boat you want for half the cost it is today.

That's what I am counting on. I sold my 25 Daytona and bought a cheapo 21 day cruiser for $5800 (that was actually in amazing condition) to ride out the decline. If my evil plan works out, I'm planning on getting a 26 with twin outboards.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Pretty sure people say this every year. With what it costs for a new boat, I dont see the used market slowing down at all.

I listed mine at $35k and actually had a guy offer me $37k when I told him I decided not to sell.

Yea, my post was mostly a joke... The prices aren't going to go down much unless the demand for new boats grinds to a halt. This issue is that now all the used 21-25 foot boats are so old it is hard to get financing. You are likely going to unload all the other toys that you are making payments on before the paid off boat.

Ultra912

Reaction score
Got a Shockwave 25 Tremor for 40K but had to have the trailer overhauled for 6K. I still think I got a fair deal for a great hull. My boats have gotta be as pretty on the road as they are in the water.