WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Buying a Car Across Country

gqchris

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Anyone have experience buying a car across the country? I am looking at a private party car and doing the math it would take to get it back to Cali. It is in Cincinnati.

How was your shipping experience?
I will need to do a PPI, so the car will get inspected before closing the deal.

Any tips? Did you fly out to eyeball it before the PPI?

Chris

sirbob

Reaction score
I bought a car from Ohio - car was in Akron.

I told the seller to meet me in Cleveland and pick me up at the airport in the car. That way they needed to drive it for an hour to get there and I could see that it didn't over heat or something stupid like that. I looked the car over and we made a deal - went to the Cavs game that night and flew home the next day and we did the rest of the deal after I set up shipping. It cost me about 1500 for door to door shipping (Ohio to Orange County) in an open carrier - closed was a lot more and I didn't need it for this purchase.

On another note I bought a "certified preowned" car from a luxury brand authorized dealer and went to pick the car up and drive it home - I was VERY disappointed in the car when I saw and probably not have bought it if I saw it ahead of time.

Moral of the story - I will never buy a car with out seeing it first.

Although many do and have no issues.

Last edited:

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I couldn't find what I wanted (1981 4 speed Corvette) local so when I saw it on eBay I bid low and won. It was a total gambled but worked out well for me. That being said, I would never spend big money without my butt driving it.

gqchris

Reaction score
I bought a car from Ohio - car was in Akron.

I told the seller to meet me in Cleveland and pick me up at the airport in the car. That way they needed to drive it for an hour to get there and I could see that it didn't over heat or something stupid like that. I looked the car over and we made a deal - went to the Cavs game that night and flew home the next day and we did the rest of the deal after I set up shipping. It cost me about 1500 for door to door shipping (Ohio to Orange County) in an open carrier - closed was a lot more and I didn't need it for this purchase.

On another note I bought a "certified preowned" car from a luxury brand authorized dealer and went to pick the car up and drive it home - I was VERY disappointed in the car when I saw and probably not have bought it if I saw it ahead of time.

Moral of the story - I will never buy a car with out seeing it first.

Although many do and have no issues.

Thanks Sirbob. Thats my plan also. I feel a fly out is in order like you did. Its not a huge amount of money, but just dont want any suprises.

I had the same model car fail a PPI here that I picked out locally. It looked great from a close view, but my independant shop found paintwork, bondo and all kinds of bullshit. So I am on the hunt again.

I would probably go enclosed transport, approx how much you think more for that compared to yours?

Thanks!

sirbob

Reaction score
Thanks Sirbob. Thats my plan also. I feel a fly out is in order like you did. Its not a huge amount of money, but just dont want any suprises.

I had the same model car fail a PPI here that I picked out locally. It looked great from a close view, but my independant shop found paintwork, bondo and all kinds of bullshit. So I am on the hunt again.

I would probably go enclosed transport, approx how much you think more for that compared to yours?

Thanks!

I was quoted 2-3x for enclosed transport

boatpi

Reaction score
Unless you are buying form a new car style dealer, expect the worse. I can tell you 20 horror stories others suffered.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a collector car or a driver...but I hope you've considered the level of rust typically present on everything from that area. I won't work on 'em.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I would not purchase something without a PPI from someone I trusted.

Carfax this bla bla bla, all just words.

My closest friend is looking for a CTS-V for his wife as a surprise, for such a rare car, EVERY ONE we have looked at has been in an accident.

They all had "clean" Carfail reports.

There are many internet "PPI" companies, not seen a single one worth it.

Buyer Be Ware.

Your ad here

Reaction score
If you have to have it (need vs. want) then pursue it. If it just a want I would keep looking locally. As mentioned East coast cars will have body rot.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Bought an Acura NSX in Denver from a Private party in ‘06. He took it to the local Acura dealer for the PPI that I paid for with a CC. He paid for the CO smog.

The dealer called me and said it was a cream puff so I bought a one way ticket to Denver and got a cab to a local hotel to meet the owner.

I took a test drive and afterwards I bought the owner a beer in the hotel bar and we did the transaction there with a cashiers check and he verified with my bank before handing me keys, Bill if Sale and the pink.

Was a very smooth transaction and enjoyable experience even with the 1100 mile drive home.

I got the car to CA, paid the tax at DMV after I got it smogged and I was good to go.

BEB9FA75-5C4E-4EBC-8C2F-CD85BACD2DAE.jpeg

gqchris

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a collector car or a driver...but I hope you've considered the level of rust typically present on everything from that area. I won't work on 'em.

Collector Exotic. Supposedly was stored in Climate Controlled Storage.

That can also be "never in saltwater" just like the boating world:rolleyes:

gqchris

Reaction score

My closest friend is looking for a CTS-V for his wife as a surprise, for such a rare car, EVERY ONE we have looked at has been in an accident.

Buyer Be Ware.

Trust me, I just went thru a PPI with a reputable dealer in Newport on a car that had an immaculate 1 owner carfax. It had paint work, body filler and all kinds of damage. So yes, thats mandatory before anything.

gqchris

Reaction score
Bought an Acura NSX in Denver from a Private party in ‘06. He took it to the local Acura dealer for the PPI that I paid for with a CC. He paid for the CO smog.

The dealer called me and said it was a cream puff so I bought a one way ticket to Denver and got a cab to a local hotel to meet the owner.

I took a test drive and afterwards I bought the owner a beer in the hotel bar and we did the transaction there with a cashiers check and he verified with my bank before handing me keys, Bill if Sale and the pink.

Was a very smooth transaction and enjoyable experience even with the 1100 mile drive home.

I got the car to CA, paid the tax at DMV after I got it smogged and I was good to go.

View attachment 773698

Thats the kind of story I like to hear. Hell, maybe Ill just drive it back and make it an adventure. LOL..Its a modern car also.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

Buyer Be Ware.

I got one. Black 4 Door.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I bought my CPO Silverado for a dealer in Michigan. Found it on Auto Trader.

Wired the funds, did the paperwork online. Super easy.

Put it up on Central Dispatch for transport, started low ($950) and increased it by $50 a day until a hot shot transporter committed to taking it.

Cost me $1050 to bring it to Dallas.
(Our transport division was super busy at the time and I didn’t want to take money out of our drivers’ pocket).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thmterry

Reaction score
My Mach1 was bought off a facebook ad by a dealer in North Dakota. Wired me the money and had an enclosed transport at my house in about a week. He said it was about $2200 from Ridgecrest to ND. I saw the car on the dealers website the following week.
20190626_095004.jpg

minijeep

Reaction score
I was going to buy a truck from Louisiana, got lots of pictures, they answered every question I asked. I was going to do a transport but this was going to be a daily. So why not fly there and drive it back! So with check in hand I get to the dealership to look it over before I sign everything. I’m so glad I did! It just wasn’t the truck that was described and represented in the pictures. Booked a flight home and will never do a deal without looking at a vehicle in person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X Hoser

Reaction score
No experience at this but it seems I read somewhere, probably on RDP, something about bringing a car into California with less than 7000(?) miles on it and not being able to register here? I believe it stated that once you try and it is denied, you can not try again at later date?

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score

View attachment 773698
I bought this guy the same way a number of years ago......here's the picture of the car in the driveway in Macon GA and my driveway in CA back then.

Flew into Atlanta and rented a car, drove down to Macon with the wife......checked out the car, went to my bank I think it was BofA at the time, got him a check and I got the title.....drove to Memphis spent a couple of nights with friends and then 2 days back to San Clemente.......it was an AWESOME trip!
Side - Driver.jpg
Top Off.JPG

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
No experience at this but it seems I read somewhere, probably on RDP, something about bringing a car into California with less than 7000(?) miles on it and not being able to register here? I believe it stated that once you try and it is denied, you can not try again at later date?
Only if it wasn't built with CA smog (49 state car), I don't think there are too many of those anymore

outboard_256

Reaction score
I’ve done a little bit of research on this over the last few months & the shipping is what’s the issue. Buying the car from a major dealership is the easy part, but setting up the shipping & arrival date is a major headache. I suppose if you’re retired & have nothing going on then it’s fine, however these transport carriers only pick-up on certain weeks & there’s no set arrival date, not to mention open-transport for 1000+ miles & expecting the vehicle to arrive without damage?

How did you manage all of that? How were you able to meet the carrier w/your vehicle & still have a job & find the time? I’ve looked into doing this with Ford Dealers & they’re very helpful, but after $1300-1500 for shipping the savings vs. buying a CA. vehicle is basically a washout unless the mid-west or east coast dealer substantially lowers the sale price on the car & I haven’t seen them willing to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issues. I ship my big stuff to my friends construction business. He has a crane there to lift pallets off of trailers and stuff. He just puts it in the corner of the lot and calls me and I come down when I can to pick it up. If I didn't have him then I don't know how I would get half the stuff I buy. You need to make friends with someone that has a business that is open during regular hours and can sign and receive it. Other wise it makes logistics a night mare.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
How did you manage all of that? How were you able to meet the carrier w/your vehicle & still have a job & find the time? I’ve looked into doing this with Ford Dealers & they’re very helpful, but after $1300-1500 for shipping the savings vs. buying a CA. vehicle is basically a washout unless the mid-west or east coast dealer substantially lowers the sale price on the car & I haven’t seen them willing to do so.

I had the carrier deliver the car to my jobsite.
Super easy and super convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

motormonkey

Reaction score
My advice is to fly and look at it yourself. You will be the best judge for your money. Buying exotics is a fickle game as they are bought and sold as commodities. Everybody in the biz knows 97% of the cars for sale and the good buys. A wrong buy can ruin your chance at a re sale. I hope this helps.

poncho

Reaction score
I have bought a new truck, my Canyon flat and a custom chopper without seeing any of them in person and I have had the best experiences and call 2 of the sellers friends now.
I can't count how many horror stories I have also heard, i feel pretty lucky overall.
Good luck

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I’ve done a little bit of research on this over the last few months & the shipping is what’s the issue. Buying the car from a major dealership is the easy part, but setting up the shipping & arrival date is a major headache. I suppose if you’re retired & have nothing going on then it’s fine, however these transport carriers only pick-up on certain weeks & there’s no set arrival date, not to mention open-transport for 1000+ miles & expecting the vehicle to arrive without damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most truckers won't leave their area until they get enough cargo to fill the truck. So unless you're one of the last to fill his truck it can take a week or so before they even start driving west.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

View attachment 773698
I bought this guy the same way a number of years ago......here's the picture of the car in the driveway in Macon GA and my driveway in CA back then.

Flew into Atlanta and rented a car, drove down to Macon with the wife......checked out the car, went to my bank I think it was BofA at the time, got him a check and I got the title.....drove to Memphis spent a couple of nights with friends and then 2 days back to San Clemente.......it was an AWESOME trip! View attachment 773864 View attachment 773865

Lol, why is it that you tall guys are the ones who drive these 2 foot tall things? :p:D

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I have done several long distance deals. Ferrari 308 GTSi in 1989, I flew there and looked at the car and it was exactly as represented. Paid for it and the selling dealer shipped it to me, Springfield Mo to Los Angels. 2014 I bought a Ferrari 575M from the same dealer, since I already had a track record with him I just sent the money and he shipped the car, said if I wasn't happy ship it back and he would refund the money. The car was perfect. 6 months ago I bought a Mercedes E350 Blue Tech from a guy in Texas, fortunately I had a friend that was there and he looked at the car and said it was perfect. I shipped it Enclosed from Dallas to West Hills, CA With Montway Auto Transport and the cost was $759.00
That price was so low I couldn't believe it but that is what it was. Maybe they had a truck in the area and needed one more car to fill the load, but I expected to pay double that.
Look them up on the internet and give them a call for a quote.
Good luck on the deal.
PS I always have the seller send a copy of the clear title before making a deal, then Wire transfer the money and have them overnight the title back to you.

rrrr

Reaction score
I couldn't find what I wanted (1981 4 speed Corvette) local so when I saw it on eBay I bid low and won. It was a total gambled but worked out well for me. That being said, I would never spend big money without my butt driving it.

You're the first person I've ever come across that wanted a 190 HP Corvette.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
You're the first person I've ever come across that wanted a 190 HP Corvette.

I was born in 1981. I have always wanted a car from the same year. I also want a 1981 Rolex Daytona or Submariner if anyone wants to donate one to me.

rrrr

Reaction score
I was born in 1981. I have always wanted a car from the same year. I also want a 1981 Rolex Daytona or Submariner if anyone wants to donate one to me.

I have a GMT Master II that I bought on Manhattan's Lower East Side I'll sell you for $100.

:D

desrtrat256

Reaction score
I agree with sirbob.

I flew to Kansas a few months ago to buy a truck and drive it home, the "reputable used car lot" said it had thoroughly been checked over and was a fantastic truck. I showed up and the truck was a wreck and wouldn't have made it home. To top it off, Car Store USA, the dealership trying to sell it, didn't want to refund my $500 "refundable" deposit. The cops were almost called as I lost my shit.

Moral of the story, put your eyes on it, physically take it to a 3rd party, look at it on the rack. You version of a good car will probably vary from a 3rd parties opinion.