WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Buying a new car out of state?

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Hi all. Got a lease coming up in March. With the current car shortage around here (Really bad in southern ca), I’m starting to wonder if buying out of state is a better option. Seems like people are still getting reasonable deals versus taking it in the shorts here in OC. Anything I should be aware of when buying out of state?

can I buy and register in AZ easily as long as I have a mailing address (such as the house I keep my boat at, but don’t live at or own)?

ca reg goes off cost of the vehicle so it gets real expensive!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Hi all. Got a lease coming up in March. With the current car shortage around here (Really bad in southern ca), I’m starting to wonder if buying out of state is a better option. Seems like people are still getting reasonable deals versus taking it in the shorts here in OC. Anything I should be aware of when buying out of state?

can I buy and register in AZ easily as long as I have a mailing address (such as the house I keep my boat at, but don’t live at or own)?

I think Az bases new car sales registration on msrp. Still a doable option.
You can buy in Az and still register in Ca as long as car has 50 state emissions.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Are you financing it? thats the only issue I see on the address deal as some banks will not do it...and that CA has a tattle tale program for people to report you over running out of state tags..

You can buy as an out of state buyer and the docs are just set up to register/pay taxes where you are.

samsah33

Reaction score
Make sure you have CA or 50 states emissions, can ask seller to send a pic of the emissions sticker before buying to make sure it's CA legal.

If it's a new car, then you'll need a Certificate of Manufacture or some other doc similar to that because a new car hasn't yet been titled, and CA DMV won't register it with just a bill of sale even if new from a dealer. You'll have to coordinate with the dealer to make sure they send Cert of Mfg to your local CA DMV office on your registration appointment day, or it might get lost at the local DMV office (ask me how I know this...:mad:).

Like others have said on the out of state registration, CA has a tattletale hotline for neighbors with out of state plates, and I've heard stories of cops cruising parking lots of businesses to track out of state plates to see how long the vehicle has been in state...

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I think Az bases new car sales registration on msrp. Still a doable option.
You can buy in Az and still register in Ca as long as car has 50 state emissions.

Not to thread jack, but where can I find this 50 states emission sticker?

Got a letter from CA DMV telling me to bring in my 2021 F350 I bought in UT for VIN Verification and Smog. I was like wtf, I don't need a smog for a brand new truck.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Pretty easy to do if your dealer is up on the process. 5 of the last 6 vehicles I bought were from out of Ca. My 5500 didn't need to be smogged but the other 5 gas ones did. They will also need to be inspected at the DMV and I'm sure AAA can do it. What are you planning on buying?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I buy CPO, often sight-unseen.

My Silverado was bought from a dealer in Michigan.

Dealers are well-versed on the process, including shipping.

It’s super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Got a letter from CA DMV telling me to bring in my 2021 F350 I bought in UT for VIN Verification and Smog. I was like wtf, I don't need a smog for a brand new truck.

You do if you bought it out of state in many cases.

FCT

Reaction score

Yeah you do. I flew to MICHIGAN to get my new F-350 a few months ago and had to smog it when I got home with it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Any issue with buying a used diesel out of state?

if it has 50 state emissions sticker and hasn’t been deleted I’m ok?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Yeah you do. I flew to MICHIGAN to get my new F-350 a few months ago and had to smog it when I got home with it.

Oh yeah, we know your truck is brand new but go fuck yourself... because we're California. That's why.

Every time I think I understand how ridiculous this state is, there's something else.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Under hood or on core support in most cases.

77charger

Reaction score
Might as well register in ca think the first 2-3 years their aint much difference in cost.Like said az will go off msrp not what you paid.

pronstar

Reaction score
One note on taxes that was surprising to me at first:
You pay the tax in the state you take delivery.

When you register in your home state, show the dmv the paperwork showing what you paid. The money will make it’s way to your state automatically.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I've been told that if you live in CA but buy the vehicle in AZ (which has so many CA people doing it most dealers sell the 50 states emissions vehicles), is that once you pay the AZ sales tax, then when you go to register it in CA, they want their cut too and you'll pay CA tax of some kind (sales or something else?) when you go to register it.

Anyway, CA is going to F you over any way you do it. If you're going to go through the trouble of buying a vehicle out of state, get the house too, and don't come back to this shit show.

pronstar

Reaction score
I've been told that if you live in CA but buy the vehicle in AZ (which has so many CA people doing it most dealers sell the 50 states emissions vehicles), is that once you pay the AZ sales tax, then when you go to register it in CA, they want their cut too and you'll pay CA tax of some kind (sales or something else?) when you go to register it.

Anyway, CA is going to F you over any way you do it. If you're going to go through the trouble of buying a vehicle out of state, get the house too, and don't come back to this shit show.

[emoji106]

Roaddawg

Reaction score

And in 2 years you will get to do it again..