WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Buying a Used Boat Trailer

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
So how hard would it be to fit a used trailer to a used boat. Boat they are looking at is an Ebbtide Deckboat and the trailer is a 24 footer. Unfortunately the boat doesn’t currently have a trailer.

And what kind of braking system is this?
8BC223BF-62AF-45AD-9C71-181E6B46A412.jpeg
D35DCDA2-F10B-4FC8-93A4-909EE4B49885.jpeg

Last edited:

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
That looks like an old Atwood unit like I had on my first boat trailer.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
The ratchet is a parking/emergency brake. It activates the master cylinder either by hand or when the chain is pulled

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
That looks like an old Atwood unit like I had on my first boat trailer.

It says RoadRunner Trailers out of San Dimas. I know it’s an old company because the number still has a 714 area code.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
The ratchet is a parking/emergency brake. It activates the master cylinder either by hand or when the chain is pulled

Reliable setup? It may be going up and down Arrowhead.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score

Mine never worked lol We tried to rebuild the master only to find that the hard line to the brake axle was plugged somewhere. I towed it with out brakes for quite a few years though. The biggest problem that trailer has was its Hadco axles, couldnt find inner seals for the bearings

NicPaus

Reaction score
Saw this one last night when cl shopping. Might need to adjust bunk height and locations.
Screenshot_20200622-134105_Samsung Internet.jpg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Is the boat in the water in a slip or on a dolly/stand?

If outta the water, I usually get my bunk wood and a bunch of brick/blocks/other shit to stack under them and fit to the bottom of the boat...with an inch or so hanging past the back of the boat...then screw some scrap into the end grain to tie all 2 or 4 bunks together. Do something similar on the front with scraps...doesn’t have to be pretty...just needs to hold them in orientation temporarily.

Then knock the blocks out, remove the bunks/scrap tie-assembly and set the whole thing on the new trailer frame...usually on a couple of 8’ 2x4s across the frame...very height, shim acordingly, measur to get everything centered, then make some bunk brackets in CAD (cardboard aided design)...torch/plasma/bandsaw then out, add a 1/2” hole with a piece of angle to allow the bunk to match the angle of the hull perfectly, and start welding.

Or, you can get rose clamp on bunk brackets and use those, but they’re kinda ghetto.

If it’s in a slip...find someone else with the same boat on a trailer...show up with a tape measure, square (real square, not a speed square) an angle finder, and some pushpins. Eyeball center of each bunk and stock a pushpin in the ends, then measure your spacing and your angles, and make a sketch of each end. Also measure height from the ground.

Alternatively, you could probably call ebbtide and they’ll give you a diagram of how to set the trailer up.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Roadrunner was a bottom of the line jet boat trailer back in the day. would want to be pretty sure of hauling something up and down that Hill.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Is the boat in the water in a slip or on a dolly/stand?

If outta the water, I usually get my bunk wood and a bunch of brick/blocks/other shit to stack under them and fit to the bottom of the boat...with an inch or so hanging past the back of the boat...then screw some scrap into the end grain to tie all 2 or 4 bunks together. Do something similar on the front with scraps...doesn’t have to be pretty...just needs to hold them in orientation temporarily.

Then knock the blocks out, remove the bunks/scrap tie-assembly and set the whole thing on the new trailer frame...usually on a couple of 8’ 2x4s across the frame...very height, shim acordingly, measur to get everything centered, then make some bunk brackets in CAD (cardboard aided design)...torch/plasma/bandsaw then out, add a 1/2” hole with a piece of angle to allow the bunk to match the angle of the hull perfectly, and start welding.

Or, you can get rose clamp on bunk brackets and use those, but they’re kinda ghetto.

If it’s in a slip...find someone else with the same boat on a trailer...show up with a tape measure, square (real square, not a speed square) an angle finder, and some pushpins. Eyeball center of each bunk and stock a pushpin in the ends, then measure your spacing and your angles, and make a sketch of each end. Also measure height from the ground.

Alternatively, you could probably call ebbtide and they’ll give you a diagram of how to set the trailer up.

Boat is on a temporary trailer right now that does not come with the boat.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
With whatever brand you end up with, it would be a good idea to look into the electric over hydraulic brakes. Surge brakes get hot coming down that hill causing brake fade.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

gqchris

Reaction score
Put it this way, I just bought a "newer" used trailer, and I ended up dropping $1300 on a repair bill my first trip out to Havasu. Needed new Actuator, Brake Lines, Backing Plates, Bearings and Brakes. The only things that were good were the Bunks and the tires he recently replaced.

Just assume its all junk, because normally they are.

braindead

Reaction score
Run from that trailer, unless it's free!

Pops had that same setup for his 19" jet bote, even the road runner trailer, they stopped making parts for that system at least 6 -8 years ago.

I tow up and down to Arrowhead also and I would suggest switching to electric brakes! That hill will eat up hydraulic brakes like nobodies buisness, then when you need the brakes after the longer high speed downhill sections, they've been fried by the slower winding sections up top.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Buy new and don't look back.
The scrap price for trailers doesn't even pay for the gas and time to junk them.