WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

BVI Trip Planning

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
So flashback to 2014: I took my wife to BVI in August after she takes the bar exam (It was dead around there - off season) and we just island hopped, stayed at hotels, and rented dinghies to explore. She loves it even without the fun of a few more people at bars and restaurants and has always wanted to go back.

Earlier this year we present the idea to a ton of friend couples with the video from our trip, a full itinerary, and cost sheet. Well apparently our friends didn't find it super persuasive because we only have one other couple committed to going first week of July 2020.

Enough of the background. Who has any advice on a catamaran rental company, a good captain, maybe some advice or your experience on captaining the boat yourself? Obviously now we've gotten more budget conscious because 2 couples paying vs. 4 is a big difference.

I'm hesitant to captain a boat but if it's the make it or break it budget item, then call me Captain Jack Sparrow because my wife isn't waiting another year :D

mbrown2

Reaction score
So flashback to 2014: I took my wife to BVI in August after she takes the bar exam (It was dead around there - off season) and we just island hopped, stayed at hotels, and rented dinghies to explore. She loves it even without the fun of a few more people at bars and restaurants and has always wanted to go back.

Earlier this year we present the idea to a ton of friend couples with the video from our trip, a full itinerary, and cost sheet. Well apparently our friends didn't find it super persuasive because we only have one other couple committed to going first week of July 2020.

Enough of the background. Who has any advice on a catamaran rental company, a good captain, maybe some advice or your experience on captaining the boat yourself? Obviously now we've gotten more budget conscious because 2 couples paying vs. 4 is a big difference.

I'm hesitant to captain a boat but if it's the make it or break it budget item, then call me Captain Jack Sparrow because my wife isn't waiting another year :D

Monohull Sail or Cat Sail or Powercat?

If V go through Horizon's out of Nanny Cay...They have V's of all sizes there with furling main and furiling jibs...meaning it is a switch to raise and lower the sails. The Moorings which has the better selection of boats does not have furling mains so you have to know how raise and reef your sails. With furling mains/jibs it literally takes the work out of sailing...you can motor as well if don't feel like sailing.

If Cat Sail....The Moorings...they will take a captain out with you for 4 hours and show the ropes...very easy to lower and raise mainsail...they have power winches...and they have furling jibs....Reefing is not hard...just need to practice. I would recommend go to Newport and rent the 38' footer from Orange Coast Sailing School...they will take you out for 3hrs and show you ropes on raising lowering/reefing..

If Powercat….The Moorings...I would not do a captain for this boat...it is literally like a big slow house boat ...11 knots tops. Easy to get in/out of places spin around on the twins..and easy to moor the 47 or 51 power cat.

I would not get a captain....We have been three times and I captained all the time. With 4 people, when you moor, you have captain, one on achor (if shit goes south), one with the hook to grab rope and one to tie off rope...on the cats the hook and the rope person will tie at opposite sponsons. For docking you have 2 on starboard or port depending how you are coming into dock and one on achor.. You got this!

mbrown2

Reaction score
One other thing...when ever coming into moor someone has to have the responsibility to tie up the dingy close to the boat so we don't run over the rope/dingy if we have to reverse..

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We've always captained the boat ourselves, and never had any issues at all. This year we hired a full-time captain. Honestly, the price difference wasn't much at all and is totally worth allowing every single person on the trip to relax the entire time. I'm looking forward to it being an even better experience.

We're booked through The Catamaran Company for 2020 on a brand new 2019 boat. The woman I worked with was amazingly helpful and I'd be happy to share her info if you want. Just PM me.

https://www.catamarans.com/charter-catamarans/bareboat-home.aspx

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score

If V go through Horizon's out of Nanny Cay...They have V's of all sizes there with furling main and furiling jibs...meaning it is a switch to raise and lower the sails. The Moorings which has the better selection of boats does not have furling mains so you have to know how raise and reef your sails. With furling mains/jibs it literally takes the work out of sailing...you can motor as well if don't feel like sailing.

If Cat Sail....The Moorings...they will take a captain out with you for 4 hours and show the ropes...very easy to lower and raise mainsail...they have power winches...and they have furling jibs....Reefing is not hard...just need to practice. I would recommend go to Newport and rent the 38' footer from Orange Coast Sailing School...they will take you out for 3hrs and show you ropes on raising lowering/reefing..

If Powercat….The Moorings...I would not do a captain for this boat...it is literally like a big slow house boat ...11 knots tops. Easy to get in/out of places spin around on the twins..and easy to moor the 47 or 51 power cat.

I would not get a captain....We have been three times and I captained all the time. With 4 people, when you moor, you have captain, one on achor (if shit goes south), one with the hook to grab rope and one to tie off rope...on the cats the hook and the rope person will tie at opposite sponsons. For docking you have 2 on starboard or port depending how you are coming into dock and one on achor.. You got this!

We would either go powercat or cat sail and just use the motors. I feel like I could handle it. It just seems like responsibility I may not want to deal with when I'm trying to relax and have cocktail.

We've always captained the boat ourselves, and never had any issues at all. This year we hired a full-time captain. Honestly, the price difference wasn't much at all and is totally worth allowing every single person on the trip to relax the entire time. I'm looking forward to it being an even better experience.

We're booked through The Catamaran Company for 2020 on a brand new 2019 boat. The woman I worked with was amazingly helpful and I'd be happy to share her info if you want. Just PM me.

https://www.catamarans.com/charter-catamarans/bareboat-home.aspx

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Exactly, more relaxation with a professional doing the work. Thank you, I'll send you a PM!

240Hallett

Reaction score
If you are going to motor only then definitely go with the power cat. Much more room compared to a sail cat.

DaveH

Reaction score
ive bare chartered 3 times, no captain.

v vs cat......well the v's sail nicer but the cats are way better for lounging and a ton more room. your choice.

if you have ZERO sailing experience......id go take a couple lessons and get up to speed. We liked the privacy of not having a captain and it made it much more "adventurous" without one.

there are a bunch of various companies, but preety much the moorings has always had the nicest boats and highest prices.

disclaimer......I havent been since the "big one" that practically wiped the place off the map. i heard most of the charter companies lost the majority of their fleets, so now most of the boats are newer and in better shape. i have held off going back because of the devastation but am now looking at going next june.

having been in July, its hot, muggy and can be very heavy rain. if you stay on the water.....its a blast. another big deal for that time of year.....GET A BOAT WITH AIR CONDITIONING

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
B6F25E47-CE1D-4618-BCB9-D0949826CF15.jpeg
AE2D1AA7-ECE9-44E2-B613-4F15F29F2D97.jpeg
2D27EB3F-A27B-4F51-816D-FF3663DDD09E.jpeg
6D9939CF-7C1E-401B-AB7D-EE57738B673F.jpeg
739557F9-555B-4066-B26F-055FFD952C1C.jpeg
F1DE1FA9-7655-484C-BE48-C8EC50AB7F71.jpeg
919F07A2-4DB1-4ECD-851F-A62FD70FBE5E.jpeg

I’m here now and I have to tell you the boat the crew and everything is just phenomenal! We flew in to Saint Thomas got on the catamaran at Road town with two other couples ( friends of ours ) And are having a complete blast! I highly recommend the Pelican and with their crew he is an extremely knowledgeable captain. And she is a gourmet chef. Words can’t describe how awesome they are!

I’ve been around ocean boats my whole life and the amount of work that goes into running the boat yourself just doesn’t make sense if you want a true vacation.

Diving, and everything else included. Fantastic

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Get the largest bareboat powercat available. Bigger..... the better. Make sure it has 4 cabins, each with its own bathroom. No matter how well you all get along, you will appreciate having your own bathroom space. (Don’t be a water hog)

A sailing catamaran is ok, but I will only rent one, if nothing else is available..... such as we did in French Polynesia. We rented a 56’ sailing catamaran in French Polynesia for 3 weeks. It was our longest bare boat charter to date. Sailing into Bora Bora was a real bucket list treat!

Here is my BEST advice for BVI. Leave the POS 12’ tender, that comes with the rental, at the dock. Instead, rent 2 16’ ribs/tenders with actual steering wheels and seating. This will allow your group unlimited freedom and exploration. What sounds better...... 8 people crammed into a 12’ rib with a tiller, or 2 groups of 4 people with seating, with a boat that will go twice as fast, twice as far, and is more fun to drive? Just let your imagination realize how this is a better option. The price for the 2 boats for a week is about $1400. Split 4 ways..... makes it very reasonable. If you really want to splurge..... you can add a 30’ center console for an additional $2100 per week. On a side note: it is quite fun to get all liquored up on Painkillers ( the local drink) the pick some buoys to use as a race course, then race the 2 rented tenders in a drunken stupor. Hours of fun!

Virgin Charter Yachts out of Nanny Cay on Tortola is the charter company we have always used. It used to be called Virgin Traders.

It just so happens that my wife and I are doing a bareboat charter this coming February in the BVI.

mbrown2

Reaction score
View attachment 817169 View attachment 817170 View attachment 817171 View attachment 817172 View attachment 817173 View attachment 817174 View attachment 817175

I’m here now and I have to tell you the boat the crew and everything is just phenomenal! We flew in to Saint Thomas got on the catamaran at Road town with two other couples ( friends of ours ) And are having a complete blast! I highly recommend the Pelican and with their crew he is an extremely knowledgeable captain. And she is a gourmet chef. Words can’t describe how awesome they are!

I’ve been around ocean boats my whole life and the amount of work that goes into running the boat yourself just doesn’t make sense if you want a true vacation.

Diving, and everything else included. Fantastic

Looks like a great time...captaining your own boat definitely gives everyone something to do and is a different sort of experience...my friends and I are the types we love doing it ourselves and it just makes the stories that much funnier when we fock up or do something wrong....and later when non boating types ask..."they let you captain a 60' yacht"....those conversations are always fun..we have all ocean boated and know the risks..The one thing I love about a captain as I have went out with a couple for several hours is they know all the hot tips/short cuts....worlds of knowledge.

Someone also mentioned upgrading dingy's....that is the ticket...we leave the regular dingy and upgrade to an 18' outboard rib out of nanny key... we can literally park the cat and then explore miles and miles away without having to move the big boat.

BajaMike

Reaction score

I’ve bare-boat chartered in the BVI three times, twice with the Moorings and once with Sun Sail. All three were the best trips of my life. Once on a 60’ monohull sailboat and twice with 50’ cat sailboats......but I’ve been sailing all my life. My girlfriend and other couple had no experience sailing but it is no problem for me to handle a 60’ on my own, with help.

If you are not a sailer, I would go with the power cat, unless you take a couple lessons before you go.

The sailing is fun, and exciting, but I don’t take it too seriously, I motored the sailboats to where I wanted to go if the wind wasn’t right.

Great spots:

Virgin Gorda, the Baths
Peter Island, a private island resort, but book a slip or mooring, and you have full use of the resort, restaurant and beach.
Jost Van Dyke
Wreck of the Rhoan (where they filmed “The Deep”
Cain Harbor Bay, great beach front bare foot bars and food and music

Have fun!

USClb41

Reaction score
Beyond hooking the trailing line and tying a bridal to the spontoons... what other tips do you have?
Been going to the BVI for 15 years, When planning your nightly moorings, try to get to your spots early so all the balls aren't taken already, approach into the wind, have your hook guy communicate with your captain with hand signals so he knows how far away the ball is and doesn't run it over. Have someone tend the dingy so the line doesn't get caught in a prop. Everyone will be watching to see if a shit show unfolds, lol, it can be quite entertaining. A good cruising guide will have tips on how to enter each harbor. If you are diving and are on a dive ball, not a bad idea to have someone stay on the boat while the divers are under..

Hit the BBQ at Foxy's one night and the Soggy Dollar on Jost and Cane Garden Bay is a must..

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Been going to the BVI for 15 years, When planning your nightly moorings, try to get to your spots early so all the balls aren't taken already, approach into the wind, have your hook guy communicate with your captain with hand signals so he knows how far away the ball is and doesn't run it over. Have someone tend the dingy so the line doesn't get caught in a prop. Everyone will be watching to see if a shit show unfolds, lol, it can be quite entertaining. A good cruising guide will have tips on how to enter each harbor. If you are diving and are on a dive ball, not a bad idea to have someone stay on the boat while the divers are under..

Hit the BBQ at Foxy's one night and the Soggy Dollar on Jost and Cane Garden Bay is a must..

What’s your move if the mooring balls are all taken?

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
We bare boat charter a power cat and that is my preference. If sailing, it might be fun to so an instructional captain and learn to sail while your on vacation. Some will actually certify you as a sail charter captain at the end as well.

For 2 couples try a 362 power cat with marinemax vacations.
Only draw back is no on board water maker. Otherwise get the 3 cabin 443 as it has a water maker and on board wifi too.

I also have a yeti 30 soft side ice chest that I bought an extra shoulder strap for and used it to be able to carry it as a back pack. Works perfectly and doubles as my carry on too. :D

https://www.marinemax.com/vacations/charter-fleet-options/power-catamarans/marinemax-362

https://www.marinemax.com/vacations/charter-fleet-options/power-catamarans/marinemax-443

Last edited:

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
For 2 couple try a 362 power cat with marinemax vacations.
Only draw back is no on board water maker. Otherwise get the 3 cabin 443 as it has a water maker.
I also have a yeti 30 soft side ice chest that I bought an extra shoulder strap for and used it to be able to carry it as a back pack. Works perfectly and doubles as my carry on too. :D

https://www.marinemax.com/vacations/charter-fleet-options/power-catamarans/marinemax-362

https://www.marinemax.com/vacations/charter-fleet-options/power-catamarans/marinemax-443

I have the 362 booked for April... 2 couples.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
I have the 362 booked for April... 2 couples.
Great. Post up what you think of the boat once you get to use it. We are considering one for just ourselves for 14 days. :D
362 cruises faster too.

Make sure to spend some time at Sandy Spit too. You will have the entire island to yourself.

Look for the Arizona license plates and the Dilly Dilly flags we left all over the place on our last trip in the BVI.:D

USClb41

Reaction score
What’s your move if the mooring balls are all taken?
Pick a good spot to anchor and make sure it’s set, give yourself plenty of room from other boats keeping the wind overnight in mind, nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night when you’ve drifted into another boat

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
getting a ball is only a problem during the busy season, dec-february.

the rest of the year......not a problem.

I purposefully avoided those months and stretched out later into the season to April. Any feedback on how April works out weather wise etc...?

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I've been twice, so I know a lot of the main spots (Jost, Soggy Dollar, Foxy's, Sandy Spit, Bubbly Pool, Willy T, Cane Garden Bay, Baths, North Sound).

But please list any other spots you like. I'm always open to trying out new spots.

DaveH

Reaction score
I purposefully avoided those months and stretched out later into the season to April. Any feedback on how April works out weather wise etc...?
april, consider "shoulder" season is nice. certainly warmer then prime season but not full blown hot, muggy monsoon season. if you are a desert boater.....even the HOT season wont feel hot.

DaveH

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info everyone. I've been twice, so I know a lot of the main spots (Jost, Soggy Dollar, Foxy's, Sandy Spit, Bubbly Pool, Willy T, Cane Garden Bay, Baths, North Sound).

But please list any other spots you like. I'm always open to trying out new spots.
its hard to say what the key places to visit are after the devastation of the storms a couple years ago.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
its hard to say what the key places to visit are after the devastation of the storms a couple years ago.
we were there last year and most was back up ans running to some degree. Saba Rock is still rebuilding and I think the restaurant is back open at Bitter end.
I wanted to go back this year but our crew decided next year again for us.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Looks like the 362 main cabin is completely open? Did they put wifi back on the new fleet?

It’s my first time so I really don’t know much about it. I just looked at the pictures online and said, “two separate cabins with separate heads” looks good to me! I actually hope there is no WiFi, just like lake Powell, I prefer to off the grid as much as possible. We are going to just figure it out when we get there. It’s my wife and I plus my sister and brother in law...

Blown Lavey

Mid week boating anyone..
Reaction score
After reading all of the posts, what is a realistic budget for a 7-10 day trip enjoying yourself with 1-2 other couples without airfare? I know provisioning and alcohol are subjective but maybe an average?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
After reading all of the posts, what is a realistic budget for a 7-10 day trip enjoying yourself with 1-2 other couples without airfare? I know provisioning and alcohol are subjective but maybe an average?

The 362 for 7 nights plus the Sunday marina over night for 8 nights is $6613. My booking agent advised a fuel budget of $350 plus or minus based on use (twin merc OB). We are flying southwest for points and have booked flights from Puerto Rico to beef for 220 per person. My sister and brother in law are flying from John Wayne to PR for about 1200 each round trip plus the 220 from PR to beef island.

Sooooo I would say it’s about 10k for 4 people on the low end if some of you can get some free flights..... plus provisioning. From what I have seen, provisioning is not much more expensive than retail provisioning in Arizona. I will probably guess another 1000 for base provision (food @ alcohol) and toss another grand in my pocket for the bars. Roll with a good credit card for when we blow the budget!

530RL

Reaction score
All good advice and pluses and minuses of different options.

Here is our typical plan.

1) Power cats and sail cats are about the same to rent. We don't want a captain as we don't want some strange person with us so we go power cats as they are easier to handle.

2) Power cats get us to the mooring balls quicker. We can stay where we stopped the night before longer, and beat the sail cats in to the next spot. The farther out our ball, the higher the possibility for more rocking at night as the best balls are in the calmest most protected areas. If someone in your group is more inclined to get motion sickness, this can make a difference.

3) Even in the off season, the closer we are to base, the more crowded the balls get.

4) We eat dinner at the local restaurants/shacks. We only provision for breakfast/lunch/appetizers and booze.

5) Bring some cash. Some places you have to pay for the mooring balls and they will take trash away and deliver ice but you need cash to pay for it.

6) If you have four couples on a larger power cat, consider two dinghies. That way people have more opportunity go off on their own when they like and can do different things.

7) You can get a satellite internet hookup from Moorings. We always do as all of our group works so we have to do calls and email every day.

Last edited:

DaveH

Reaction score

the two main factors are the time of year and the size of the boat.

winter is most expensive, summer is cheapest. you can spend as little as about $2000 a week for a boat and it only goes up from there.