WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bye bye Scarab, cool story

ramos45

Reaction score
I bought my 89 Scarab III this month 10 years ago from a local guy here in Vegas. During that time I think I've put more into it than what I paid for it, rebuilt engines, complete bilge/transom rebuild, hydro steering.....the list goes on and I learned a ton along the way and know my boat like the back of my hand. The past few seasons I've had that dreaded thought creep in "how much longer will I do this?" We've been going out later and less each season starting about 3 seasons ago but every time out I'm reminded why I bare the expense and effort of having this boat. But still, I feel like the seasons are numbered

About a month ago I received a PM in my offshoreonly account to requesting I contact him concerning my boat. Come to find out this guy is the grandson of the original owner and he grew on this boat in LOTO. He's been searching the internet to find anything about this boat and joined OSO for the search and saw a pic of the boat. Actually, he saw a pic when it had the wrap on it and almost moved on but noticed the outline of the original graphics underneath. He continued searching my posts and sure enough concluded that I have his family's old boat. We spoke, exchanged some pics and shared stories then he asked "would you be willing to sell it?" Turns out he's in a similar position as when he was growing up but this time it's his house and dock on the lake.

We are scheduled to meet half way in New Mexico in two weeks for the exchange. 5 years ago I never thought I would sell this boat any time soon and I wasn't planning on listing it until I felt I was definitely done but this situation seems like it was "meant to be"; I almost felt compelled to agree to sell it to this guy given the history. I'm sure I'll miss it at times but I'm also eager for the freed up mind space and time to get into other trouble.
Scarab.jpg
IMAG0941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nordie

Reaction score
Was that the old PhatSac 377 Scarab?

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Very cool that it is going back to the original owner family.

I think you have an opportunity here for a great last memory of your boat. Instead of meeting him in NM, go ahead and make the trip all the way to LOTO. Run the boat in the lake with the buyer so he can get familiar with it and you can get one last run as well as experience the lake.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Bad ass boat! I love the old wave crushers!! Albeit they are heavy and not as fast as the new ones, there is just something cool about them.

ramos45

Reaction score
Very cool that it is going back to the original owner family.

I think you have an opportunity here for a great last memory of your boat. Instead of meeting him in NM, go ahead and make the trip all the way to LOTO. Run the boat in the lake with the buyer so he can get familiar with it and you can get one last run as well as experience the lake.

I would love to but we are both turning this trip as quickly as possible over a weekend. He was trying to coordinate shipping for the boat because he can't get away for the full trip to pick up. I didn't ask but pretty sure that cost is not small. My camping plans fell through for that weekend so I offered to meet him half way for the cost of diesel for my trip. This way we can have a proper meeting and I can go over the details of this 32 year old boat with some home brewed remedies. I would love to run LOTO but not in the cards this time, maybe we'll keep in contact if/when I make it out there he can take me, we'll see...

ramos45

Reaction score
Bad ass boat! I love the old wave crushers!! Albeit they are heavy and not as fast as the new ones, there is just something cool about them.

Agreed, especially on the speed part. I've sunk many $$ for extra speed. When I bought it it topped out at 53mph in speedo, now I cruise at 50 and fastest I've seen is 74mgh on gps. But for the money needed to make this considerably faster it's just not worth it. I've read somewhere that min 900hp per side to get near 100mph.

Tank

Reaction score
That is a cool story! You know what they say, someone comes a knockin' to buy, you sell! Going back to the original owner family, most likely got reasonable money, win / win.

So, what's your next boat? 😁

ramos45

Reaction score
That is a cool story! You know what they say, someone comes a knockin' to buy, you sell! Going back to the original owner family, most likely got reasonable money, win / win.

So, what's your next boat? 😁

I'm happy with what I'm getting for it; i'm of the mindset that stuff is only worth what one will pay for it. I had fun sinking $$ into it but I surely won't want to do this all over again. I mean things like swim platform and hydro steering....$5K right there, I can look around the boat and hear the "chaching" register sound in my head just about everywhere. I have a buddy who always ask how much i'm into something and my common response is "what's it matter" I know in my head what things costs but I never keep a track record as that would kill the fun of the hobby.

I don't think I'll be into another boat for a while, turning focus to new roof and other house projects. We still have a few land toys to keep us fun. Since having this old sled and the roominess I'm bias towards it, it would be awesome to find a Scarab Meteor within reach, can't be much more of a pain to launch/retrieve than the 34.

Tank

Reaction score
I'm happy with what I'm getting for it; i'm of the mindset that stuff is only worth what one will pay for it. I had fun sinking $$ into it but I surely won't want to do this all over again. I mean things like swim platform and hydro steering....$5K right there, I can look around the boat and hear the "chaching" register sound in my head just about everywhere. I have a buddy who always ask how much i'm into something and my common response is "what's it matter" I know in my head what things costs but I never keep a track record as that would kill the fun of the hobby.

I don't think I'll be into another boat for a while, turning focus to new roof and other house projects. We still have a few land toys to keep us fun. Since having this old sled and the roominess I'm bias towards it, it would be awesome to find a Scarab Meteor within reach, can't be much more of a pain to launch/retrieve than the 34.

LOL a 50' may be a little bit of a difference in loading / launching / trailering. Those things are cool as hell though.

Congrats again. Very cool.

ramos45

Reaction score
LOL a 50' may be a little bit of a difference in loading / launching / trailering. Those things are cool as hell though.

Congrats again. Very cool.

thank you, and yeah, I kind of cringed at myself after typing this one. Very much a difference in size and weight. I'll just stick to window shopping for a little while.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Way cool story, i've seen you out on Mead before very nice boat!

ramos45

Reaction score
Way cool story, i've seen you out on Mead before very nice boat!

Thank you. Reality is starting to set in. The buyer requested I send him some vids of it running and considering I'm always driving I personally don't have any. We had to go through many files to find some on my GF's phone(s) and while looking for them I saw many good times. Here is a small clip my last run Aug 1st 2020, we were running back to Boulder from Long Beach over glass and The full moon.

Attachments

• IMG_0812.mp4
    5 MB

ramos45

Reaction score
Well, it happened and now the side of my house looks naked. What an eventful trip out there. I got a late start on Friday, left around 4pm. Stopped in Williams to fill up at 8pm local time just as a BLIZZARD started, visibility was ok but the hwy was slick, any decent acceleration and i would lose traction, talk about pucker factor, 20mph for 1.5-2 hrs until after Flagstaff. At that time the snow stopped falling but the temps were in the mid 20's and with precipitation i was worried about ice so kept it to 50mph at the most as vehicles were passing at pretty good speed but then as I got closer to NM border dense fog hit. Another almost 2 hours at under 30mph. Vehicles passing would disappear into fog at maybe 75-100 yards in front of me. Once into NM I was back up to 70-75 and cruising.

The rest of the trip was uneventful, I eventually stopped to nap. Transaction completed without a hitch. Funny thing, the buyer called his wife to tell her the boat still has the same smell he remembers as a kid. I've always noticed a distinct smell of "boat" whenever doing any yard work within close proximity of it, it's not a funk but more of a mixture of vinyl/wood/sun tan oil type smell, it's hard to describe but was fun to hear him have the same sentiment.

I almost didn't take any pics of her driving for a weird feeling of not wanting to see her with another man, haha, but when I saw her leaving on the trailer (which i've never seen before due to being the one pulling her) I just had to snap a few.

Pic with chevy is me at the TA in Kingman grabbing some snacks. The others are her leaving, and there's one of the snow in Williams.

20210326_175024.jpg
20210327_131133.jpg
20210327_131541.jpg
20210326_200921.jpg

Last edited:

OC Mike

Reaction score
Very cool story.
With so much work in it, kinda of like giving up one your own.
Going back to the original family is one of those 'Feel Good' moments.
Thanks for sharing...

ramos45

Reaction score
Very cool story.
With so much work in it, kinda of like giving up one your own.
Going back to the original family is one of those 'Feel Good' moments.
Thanks for sharing...

Thank you. That's exactly what it feels like. Just looking at it from the outside and I can add up $16.5K of what I did to it and trailer, not including engine and bilge/transom rebuild. I learned a lot and it was fun but I know this, I'll never dive in this deep ever again.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks for the share !
Good feeling when they go to someone who appreciate them . . . You both scored !
Great read over a cup of coffee !

Hoodoo

Reaction score
[QUOT
Since having this old sled and the roominess I'm bias towards it, it would be awesome to find a Scarab Meteor within reach, can't be much more of a pain to launch/retrieve than the 34.
[/QUOTE]

Pretty big hassle increase hauling around a heavy 40+.
I used to keep this Scarab 400 at the lake in Idaho. We loved it, huge cabin and cockpit.
We overnighted a lot when the kids were little. Sitting in the water at the dock finally got to an already old transom, so it’s back in FL to get parted out or fixed.

Attachments

• C1260036-B2A6-4B2F-8F3C-3BCCF1262E2B.jpeg
    C1260036-B2A6-4B2F-8F3C-3BCCF1262E2B.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 71

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Don’t forget the Scarab 43. That’s a wave crushing mofo !!!! But have to say, a 38 KV would be bad ass as well.

ramos45

Reaction score
Just saw your old boat on highway 40 here in Missouri headed towards LOTO.

The RDP crew never ceases to amaze me. Seriously, I was wondering how long until someone saw it across the country, awesome

ramos45

Reaction score
[QUOT
Since having this old sled and the roominess I'm bias towards it, it would be awesome to find a Scarab Meteor within reach, can't be much more of a pain to launch/retrieve than the 34.

Pretty big hassle increase hauling around a heavy 40+.
I used to keep this Scarab 400 at the lake in Idaho. We loved it, huge cabin and cockpit.
We overnighted a lot when the kids were little. Sitting in the water at the dock finally got to an already old transom, so it’s back in FL to get parted out or fixed.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I realized how naive my statement was after submitting it. All the way to Florida to get transom fixed? No one in Idaho up to the task?

Hoodoo

Reaction score
I’m based in FL.
Other than July, I’m only up there for quick trips.