WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

C8 Corvette Engine Fails After Only 57 Miles, Valve Spring Issue Most Likely

spectras only

Reaction score

Back in September 2020, GM quietly admitted that small-block V8s suffer from “possible broken valve springs.” According to a technical service bulletin from the biggest of the Big Three in Detroit, only vehicles built from June 1st to September 15th may suffer from this condition.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I expected some kinks. New models always have problems. Id never buy on the first production round.

Taboma

Reaction score

Back in September 2020, GM quietly admitted that small-block V8s suffer from “possible broken valve springs.” According to a technical service bulletin from the biggest of the Big Three in Detroit, only vehicles built from June 1st to September 15th may suffer from this condition.

Bummer, I love reading some of the NHTSA complaints. The vast majority are the front hood unlatching. Only one complaint found for the valve spring problem.
But I love this guy's complaint about his front bonnet popping up ---- why he felt he needed to include his driving style is beyond me. 😖

" I JUST GOT MY 2020 CORVETTE DELIVERED LAST WEEK. I AM THE FIRST OWNER OF THE CAR AND TODAY I WAS DRIVING UP PCH TOWARDS MALIBU. WENT UP TO 80-90 MPH AT TIMES. DROVE FOR ABOUT 100 MILES. I STOPPED TO GET SOMETHING TO EAT. GOT BACK IN MY CAR AND PROCEEDED UP THE CANYONS FOR SOME SPIRITED DRIVING. THE CAR IS ALREADY BROKEN IN AT 1300 MILES. "

😂😂😂 Hey NHTSA, I was ONLY driving at 80-90 MPH up PCH towards Malibu, WTF :oops:
Then he continues with his lengthy explanation of his hood blowing up, ALL IN CAPS, including pretty much his lunch menu and photo session, didn't have his radio on ( OH yeah, there's some contributing factors for sure) blah blah blah --- but I love the ending.

" GM SPOKESPERSON BLAMES IT ON USER ERROR. I GUARANTEE YOU GUYS THIS IS NOT USER ERROR " 😇

Trash

Reaction score
C5 Z06 had valve spring issues too. LIkely bad batch

Taboma

Reaction score
Yep...bad batch from supplier on 2020‘s , if they fail they tend to do early on.
They just shipped my 2021 by rail to Cali, hopefully some start up kinks are solved on the newer ones.

I just hope the pricks drop their market adjustments before I get to old to drive 🥵 Waited 7 years to buy my Raptor for that reason, it's a pride thing. 😂

Reactions: DWC

Apex svt

Reaction score
Didn’t the LS7 suffer from the same issue. Valve drop.

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
I just hope the pricks drop their market adjustments before I get to old to drive 🥵 Waited 7 years to buy my Raptor for that reason, it's a pride thing. 😂

Got lucky and found a dealer in Cali for msrp and no bs add ons, Stone Chevy in Tulare. I really do not want to pay msrp
and only have once before on my 2017 GT350 in late 2016, but the market is the way it is, and looks like it will stay that way this year on the C8.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Bummer, I love reading some of the NHTSA complaints. The vast majority are the front hood unlatching. Only one complaint found for the valve spring problem.
But I love this guy's complaint about his front bonnet popping up ---- why he felt he needed to include his driving style is beyond me. 😖

" I JUST GOT MY 2020 CORVETTE DELIVERED LAST WEEK. I AM THE FIRST OWNER OF THE CAR AND TODAY I WAS DRIVING UP PCH TOWARDS MALIBU. WENT UP TO 80-90 MPH AT TIMES. DROVE FOR ABOUT 100 MILES. I STOPPED TO GET SOMETHING TO EAT. GOT BACK IN MY CAR AND PROCEEDED UP THE CANYONS FOR SOME SPIRITED DRIVING. THE CAR IS ALREADY BROKEN IN AT 1300 MILES. "

😂😂😂 Hey NHTSA, I was ONLY driving at 80-90 MPH up PCH towards Malibu, WTF :oops:
Then he continues with his lengthy explanation of his hood blowing up, ALL IN CAPS, including pretty much his lunch menu and photo session, didn't have his radio on ( OH yeah, there's some contributing factors for sure) blah blah blah --- but I love the ending.

" GM SPOKESPERSON BLAMES IT ON USER ERROR. I GUARANTEE YOU GUYS THIS IS NOT USER ERROR " 😇

Must me a member here.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Didn’t the LS7 suffer from the same issue. Valve drop.
My understanding the exhaust valves failed? Hadn’t heard about the valve spring issues? Maybe one of the same? Have not owned one so can’t say for sure.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Mechanical Empathy.... Some people just don't have it....

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Wouldn’t have happened if it was a Ford motor 😁😁😁

You knew it was coming

spectras only

Reaction score
^^^
Well, the only motor in a Ford would be for power windows and starter. Their engines are fine, I had them both Ford and GM, Bob's your uncle. :p

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score

Considering the speed limit on PCH towards Malibu is like 45mph, its shame a chip didnt see him. Reckless driving and get to crush the car. Would have solved his problem.

attitude

Reaction score
The almighty Ford guys must have not seen the video of the new GT500 knocking upon delivery to the dealership lol.

Taboma

Reaction score
Considering the speed limit on PCH towards Malibu is like 45mph, its shame a chip didnt see him. Reckless driving and get to crush the car. Would have solved his problem.

I suspect before Chevy's done dealing with this clown, they'll have wished they just bought it back or had it crushed. 😂

Taboma

Reaction score
The almighty Ford guys must have not seen the video of the new GT500 knocking upon delivery to the dealership lol.

I saw a new GT 500 on the showroom the other day, had a sign on the window about it couldn't be sold due to some recall ???
They ONLY want an additional $ 50K on top of the $ 105K MSRP :oops: Knocking is probably another $ 10K 😂

Duffster

Reaction score
I’m hoping they offer the C8 with a flat crank version of the LT2 small-block V8.

Taboma

Reaction score
I’m hoping they offer the C8 with a flat crank version of the LT2 small-block V8.

I'd like the sound of that, have they done a flat crank in that large of a displacement ? Don't they inherently want to shake themselves to oblivion ?
Shit, I'll be 90 before the deal markups are reduced --- unless I go to Tulare apparently 😁

Duffster

Reaction score
Farrari production v8’s are flat plane crank hence the crazy sound. The factory C8r for Daytona had a flat plan crank design. In order meet tech for that race they have to manufacture over 300 production motors like that. They do vibrate more but the make crazy hp at high rpm’s. We will see!

I'd like the sound of that, have they done a flat crank in that large of a displacement ? Don't they inherently want to shake themselves to oblivion ?
Shit, I'll be 90 before the deal markups are reduced --- unless I go to Tulare apparently 😁

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Farrari production v8’s are flat plane crank hence the crazy sound. The factory C8r for Daytona had a flat plan crank design. In order meet tech for that race they have to manufacture over 300 production motors like that. They do vibrate more but the make crazy hp at high rpm’s. We will see!

It’s the cam not the crank that makes the high RPM power. The pistons don’t care about their firing order too much. The C8r is a smaller, 5.5L V8 DOHC engine.

A flat plane vs a standard crank Coyote 5.2 make within 15 HP of each other, and the standard crank is way more durable.

Taboma

Reaction score

I just recall reading and perhaps it was old school mind set, that when the 5.0 GT 350 got the flat plane crank, it was the largest displacement running one. And the larger displacement makes the balancing more critical. Then came the C8r, with the DOHC 5.5L, so displacement keeps creeping up there.
I damn near bought a GT350 simply because I loved the engine sound, but alas, I brought Mrs. Voice of Reason with me that day, " I thought you wanted a new vette ?"
OK fine, so I want one of each, sheesh already. 😂