WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

C8 Z06 Order

attitude

Reaction score
My dad is looking to get in line to for an allocation on a C8 Z06, are there any dealers around socal or AZ who are allowing this without a mark up? I know of a dealership back East who is but I would prefer It be driving distance if possible. He just went in to his local Chevy dealership and they told him it’s 50k over sticker to order a BASE C8, I about fell out of my seat laughing.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
My dad is looking to get in line to for an allocation on a C8 Z06, are there any dealers around socal or AZ who are allowing this without a mark up? I know of a dealership back East who is but I would prefer It be driving distance if possible. He just went in to his local Chevy dealership and they told him it’s 50k over sticker to order a BASE C8, I about fell out of my seat laughing.
Call Jason Holley at Selman, my wife was going to order one, and he was selling at sticker.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Mike Furman from Criswell Auto in MD is the king of Corvettes? :p

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Good luck! I got tired of waiting for my C8!

I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited............ See where I'm going with this? I finally got tired of waiting, and decided to keep the Hellcat for a bit longer. Sold my allocation to another guy for a healthy profit. He STILL doesn't have the car!

The silver lining was I got to drive one here a couple months back and wasn't all that impressed with the car! Would have been pretty disappointing to have had to swallow that after I owned it!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We're holding off for a year or two.
Wasn't impressed with the HP numbers.

Turnup

Reaction score
My neighbor is doing some crazy turbo tune setup on a C8 out of the house, he's some crazy egg head geeked out old school big time tuner that has that kind of clout within the industry 🤷‍♂️

attitude

Reaction score
We're holding off for a year or two.
Wasn't impressed with the HP numbers.
With the base or the Z06? I think 600-650hp should be plenty for the average street driver, but who knows it might be so well sorted it feels boring.

attitude

Reaction score
I can hear the C8 resale dropping already :)
I told him not to even bother with a base, for one they are way over priced right now and for two once the widebody vettes start getting delivered that base won’t be worth anything lol

attitude

Reaction score
Good luck! I got tired of waiting for my C8!

I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited............ See where I'm going with this? I finally got tired of waiting, and decided to keep the Hellcat for a bit longer. Sold my allocation to another guy for a healthy profit. He STILL doesn't have the car!

The silver lining was I got to drive one here a couple months back and wasn't all that impressed with the car! Would have been pretty disappointing to have had to swallow that after I owned it!
It being an auto kills it for me, I’m one of the rare millennials that loves to drive manual, but who knows maybe driving a C8Z will do it for me...

Trash

Reaction score
That’s not who I was thinking of, is he another big dealer back East?

Mike is THE number 1 Corvette sales guy in the nation. He has sold over 4000 Corvettes himself. Very knowledgeable and a straight shooter. You can pick it up from him, do a courtesy delivery at a local dealer or have it shipped to your house.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
You could try Rick Conti at Coughlin Chevrolet in Ohio. Not as big of a dealer as Criswell or Kerbeck, but he might be Number 3.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Speaking of auto vs stick, with big power I’ll do an auto anytime. I had a C6 Z06 with a stick and got stuck in a 3 hour traffic jam. After that no more sticks for me. My CTS V has 640 hp and an auto is just fine for me. Yes, you can call me a wuss, but I’m not getting stuck with the stupid 1st to 4th lockout in the shift gate.

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Speaking of auto vs stick, with big power I’ll do an auto anytime. I had a C6 Z06 with a stick and got stuck in a 3 hour traffic jam. After that no more sticks for me. My CTS V has 640 hp and an auto is just fine for me. Yes, you can call me a wuss, but I’m getting stuck with the stupid 1st to 4th lockout in the shift gate.

The new autos/dual clutch set ups are so good it's hard to even consider a manual.

I'm a die hard manual guy but you are literally talking about a huge difference in performance between the two offerings in the same cars.

I think sub 500hp you can get a manual to a ground and if you are just looking at fun on the street or canyons. With the power some of the new cars are putting out you need a auto.

Hellcat manuals are slow compared to autos same with the camaros,corvettes and mustangs.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
The new autos/dual clutch set ups are so good it's hard to even consider a manual.

I'm a die hard manual guy but you are literally talking about a huge difference in performance between the two offerings in the same cars.

I think sub 500hp you can get a manual to a ground and if you are just looking at fun on the street or canyons. With the power some of the new cars are putting out you need a auto.

Hellcat manuals are slow compared to autos same with the camaros,corvettes and mustangs.

Truth..

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

The question we need to ask ourselves are we driving for our own fun or are we trying to be the fastest thing on the street?

For me, I'd take your Miata over most of the new generation of sports/super cars. I'd much rather drive that at 8 or 9/10ths on the street and be mostly legal instead of driving a new sport/super at 4 or 5/10ths and be paranoid about going to jail.

spectras only

Reaction score
^^^
Truth is, you don't need 650 HP on the street or on a track either. To overcome lack of HP, you need to lighten a car for track use, choosing a smaller car to negotiate tight turns to beat larger more powerful cars in the turns.. My son ran 2:20 flat at our track in his Honda S2000 with stock engine with only coilover setup. We removed all the glass, convertible top, carpet, factory seats etc..... Randy Pobst ran a factory prepped Camaro ZL1 2:12 at Area27, We have four ZL 1s and a total of 16 or 17 V6/8 Camaros for the Academy. Friend has a C7 Lingenfelter 757HP Vette and he can easily beat its time in his Formula BMW [1300cc ] on this track.
I only have 450 HP/488 TQ in my 99 Viper, and even that's too much for the street, risking a ticket every time taking it out. I don't do drag races, even though I have 4.10 gears that multiply the TQ spec at the wheels. Most roads are crap and not maintained properly to run these supercars safely even with moderate input. So, for that reason I wouldn't want a 6/700 +HP car for street, especially with automatics that's full of electronics that is not fixer friendly for us shade tree mechanics, doing our work at home.;);)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
^^^
Truth is, you don't need 650 HP on the street or on a track either. To overcome lack of HP, you need to lighten a car for track use, choosing a smaller car to negotiate tight turns to beat larger more powerful cars in the turns.. My son ran 2:20 flat at our track in his Honda S2000 with stock engine with only coilover setup. We removed all the glass, convertible top, carpet, factory seats etc..... Randy Pobst ran a factory prepped Camaro ZL1 2:12 at Area27, We have four ZL 1s and a total of 16 or 17 V6/8 Camaros for the Academy. Friend has a C7 Lingenfelter 757HP Vette and he can easily beat its time in his Formula BMW [1300cc ] on this track.
I only have 450 HP/488 TQ in my 99 Viper, and even that's too much for the street, risking a ticket every time taking it out. I don't do drag races, even though I have 4.10 gears that multiply the TQ spec at the wheels. Most roads are crap and not maintained properly to run these supercars safely even with moderate input. So, for that reason I wouldn't want a 6/700 +HP car for street, especially with automatics that's full of electronics that is not fixer friendly for us shade tree mechanics, doing our work at home.;);)

Depends what you are doing and what you are into. On a tight track no question a well prepped s2000 or built miata will be an absolute blast and more than enough for most people.

Drag strip is a different story. I would say even on the street its a completely different story.

Big road course with long straights and sweeping turns you would want the hp.

A 99 viper with 4:10's isnt a fast car by todays standards and probably runs neck and neck with my stock 19 mustang due to the modern technology the 10 speed and different modes have added. With that said the viper probably feels 2x as fast and is 10x scarier...lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The question we need to ask ourselves are we driving for our own fun or are we trying to be the fastest thing on the street?

For me, I'd take your Miata over most of the new generation of sports/super cars. I'd much rather drive that at 8 or 9/10ths on the street and be mostly legal instead of driving a new sport/super at 4 or 5/10ths and be paranoid about going to jail.

Trust me you wouldn't "take" a miata over anything new and fast but yes its a fun car to throw around at most of our ability level....lol

They are actually hilariously slow.

I just put some Meister R coil overs as well as koni 15" wheels and potenza re-71r tires on the car and it now has so much grip it actually bogs the engine cornering at speeds it used to break loose....haha

I will get it onto the autocross track to see where that breaking point is because its way to fast for city streets.

But yes miatas are a blast and cheap you should grab a NB1 and start playing.

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
This will be a very nice and fun car when it comes out and I look forward to driving one someday. Big step for Chevy to go with a flat plane configured powerplant.

I too was a skeptic on the whole manual vs auto thing until I bought the 488. The PDK/ Dual Clutch technology is so much fun to drive and cannot be compared to conventional auto transmissions. Downshifts sequentially and the upshifts are lightning quick. Launch control is super fun and casually taking off from a stop is very smooth. Can really use and control the power in lower gears much more effectively vs a manual.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Been driving a stick since 1977. While our trucks, family sedans (including an 8 speed 550i) and commuter cars are typically autos, I haven't bought a personal non stick car in at least 30 years. My manual C7 Z06 is so much fun, it ought to be illegal. Understood that the auto is faster (maybe a second in the quarter?) however, there is always another car, or another driver that is faster than you.

It's the engagement of the car that does it for me. I just don't find that in a paddle..

spectras only

Reaction score
^^^> CT
Yep, they're slow to take up the space in the long straights We have four straights were I loose, hence I'm doing a turbo upgrade this winter. The mod will disqualify me to run in the GTU class, but my goal is to wave bye bye to those pesky bimmer and P cars pass me every time. BTW, one member did a Jenvey ITB conversion, header, internal mods and cams on his NA Miata and ran 2:24 👍 Maybe my next project will be a 5.3 or 6.2 implant for the Miata,hehe

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Depends what you are doing and what you are into. On a tight track no question a well prepped s2000 or built miata will be an absolute blast and more than enough for most people.

Drag strip is a different story. I would say even on the street its a completely different story.

Big road course with long straights and sweeping turns you would want the hp.

A 99 viper with 4:10's isnt a fast car by todays standards and probably runs neck and neck with my stock 19 mustang due to the modern technology the 10 speed and different modes have added. With that said the viper probably feels 2x as fast and is 10x scarier...lol

The track totally depends on the car and the driver. Big Willow has the highest average lap speed of any roadcourse in North America. My AVERAGE speed in my car is 96 MPH. On the track are 300HP cars with full aero that are faster than my 2500# 475HP car. They just never hit the brakes. And I'm faster than or hang with a lot of 600-700 HP and exotic cars.

What makes the slower cars like the Miata, BRZ/86, S2000 fun is that you can drive them at 10/10th and they aren't trying to kill you. But yea it sucks trying to pass someone on the freeway.

Last edited:

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
On the street, I never thought 650HP was too much when I had a C7Z., and always thought it could use a little more. It was such a well balanced/engineered car. Most of the time having fun, it was 0 to maybe 80. Any faster it turns into getting into some trouble, or hitting someone not expecting a car to be coming up so fast on them.

I'm sure a manual in track mode, could have been a handful. I liked the auto just fine. If I wanted to wind it up a little I played around with the paddles.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
👍 Maybe my next project will be a 5.3 or 6.2 implant for the Miata,hehe

I urge you to do this :) Honestly if you are doing to do that, just buy an already swapped FD Rx7 It is cheaper and a better handling car in the long run.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
On the street, I never thought 650HP was too much when I had a C7Z., and always thought it could use a little more. It was such a well balanced/engineered car. Most of the time having fun, it was 0 to maybe 80. Any faster it turns into getting into some trouble, or hitting someone not expecting a car to be coming up so fast on them.

I'm sure a manual in track mode, could have been a handful. I liked the auto just fine. If I wanted to wind it up a little I played around with the paddles.

It because of the traction control, stability control, drive by wire, etc all keeping you from getting into too much trouble.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I’ll take 3 pedals all day long in a sports car. Autos are for daily driver sedans. And yes I own both, I could seriously give a fuck if my dual clutch ,lightning fast , paddle shifted blah blah blah is a 1/10 of a second faster around a road course. 3 pedals are much more fun. Same goes for an old muscle car. sticks are just so much more engaging. Running up in the mountains is simply more entertaining in a manual. I did read where most old men like autos though. 😂

Cdog

Reaction score
Been driving a stick since 1977. While our trucks, family sedans (including an 8 speed 550i) and commuter cars are typically autos, I haven't bought a personal non stick car in at least 30 years. My manual C7 Z06 is so much fun, it ought to be illegal. Understood that the auto is faster (maybe a second in the quarter?) however, there is always another car, or another driver that is faster than you.

It's the engagement of the car that does it for me. I just don't find that in a paddle..

The Porsche PDK and Ferrari trans in the 458 Italia have the feel. I cant vouch for the Merican cars though.

Cdog

Reaction score
I’ll take 3 pedals all day long in a sports car. Autos are for daily driver sedans. And yes I own both, I could seriously give a fuck if my dual clutch ,lightning fast , paddle shifted blah blah blah is a 1/10 of a second faster around a road course. 3 pedals are much more fun. Same goes for an old muscle car. sticks are just so much more engaging. Running up in the mountains is simply more entertaining in a manual. I did read where most old men like autos though. 😂

Manual in a muscle car is the only way to go.

spectras only

Reaction score
My friend has this all carbon body Viper with sequential shifting. Chrysler should have offered a street version and steal the Vette crowd and maybe then, the Viper would still be alive. 🤔

Driving a car with an automatic transmission invented by a man, empowering girls to be able driving auto Corvettes. :p :D

nameisbond

Reaction score
I've been driving manual since I was 14. Stole my dads car often, before I had my license. Id rather have a manual, but modern automatics are ok and best in traffic. For a street car, Id go automatic now, due to the traffic here.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
The Porsche PDK and Ferrari trans in the 458 Italia have the feel.

Don’t have the dough for the likes of Porsche and Ferrari ( working for the pay check you know..) however, my last 4 cars before the vette included a BMW Competition M4, an SS 1LE Camaro, a Mustang GT 500 and an Audi S4 - all with a third pedal. Each had their own charm and I couldn’t imagine any of them with an auto..

Cdog

Reaction score
Don’t have the dough for the likes of Porsche and Ferrari ( working for the pay check you know..) however, my last 4 cars before the vette included a BMW Competition M4, an SS 1LE Camaro, a Mustang GT 500 and an Audi S4 - all with a third pedal. Each had their own charm and I couldn’t imagine any of them with an auto..

I rented both in Europe. Both ballz out too. Lol!!

Last edited: