WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ca boat registration renewal

havasubum

Reaction score
I just received my boat registration renewal today in the mail for California and my dues were only $20 bucks. I thought the tags were going up in price? Either way I won’t complain and will just pay the tags.
Anyone else get the same thing?

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Received mine for $20.00 today too... There's a small note under the quagga and mussel fee below the cost.

What changed in 2021 regarding the Mussel Fee Sticker? A: The process for purchasing the sticker from Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has been revised. The sticker is now a separate transaction from vessel registration. DMV no longer provides the option to purchase the sticker by phone, mail, or from a third-party vendor.

2. Q: How do I obtain the Mussel Fee Sticker, how much does it cost, and how long is it valid? A: You can purchase the Mussel Fee Sticker from DMV online at dmv.ca.gov/MusselFee or visit a DMV field office. Upon payment of the $16 Mussel Fee* to DMV, DMV will provide two stickers, one for each side of the hull. The stickers will indicate the year through which they are valid. The color of each sticker will be the same as the color of the vessel registration stickers, which are purchased separately. *The mussel fee amount shall be $8 when first paid during an even-numbered calendar year and $16 when first paid during an odd-numbered calendar year. The mussel fee amount shall be $16 thereafter and shall be valid for a period of two calendar years. The mussel fee sticker shall be valid through December 31 of every odd-numbered year. California Code of Regulations, Title 14, Section 5201.

More info here, https://dbw.parks.ca.gov/pages/28702/files/FAQ's_Mussel Fee Sticker_9_14_2021_Final.pdf

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
i knew it was too good to be true lol. isn't it normally 50 bucks?

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
It's 36 bucks with both. The tax that comes yearly is where they actually get you. I just paid mine last night online for both the mussel and registration.

Sherpa

Reaction score
what does the mussel fee/tag buy you??? seriously, I have no idea who/what/why if any reason is somebody looking at that tag?

I don't attach them to my boat.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
what does the mussel fee/tag buy you??? seriously, I have no idea who/what/why if any reason is somebody looking at that tag?

This is what the state says. 🤷‍♂️
Screenshot_20211005-075647_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20211005-075719_Drive.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
It's 36 bucks with both. The tax that comes yearly is where they actually get you. I just paid mine last night online for both the mussel and registration.

Depends on where you live. I did the below in 2009 and have never seen another SD PPT bill since.
My boat is stored in AZ, however I boat Havasu and Colorado River. San Diego county considers those locations CA bodies of water. Since your boat legally should be registered where it is used more then 50% of the time, my boat is CA registered. However since the boat is stored in Havasu (only comes to CA for service), San Diego excluded me from the PPT. I just had to send documentation to support the vessel is stored out of state.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
Depends on where you live. I did the below in 2009 and have never seen another SD PPT bill since.
My boat is stored in AZ, however I boat Havasu and Colorado River. San Diego county considers those locations CA bodies of water. Since your boat legally should be registered where it is used more then 50% of the time, my boat is CA registered. However since the boat is stored in Havasu (only comes to CA for service), San Diego excluded me from the PPT. I just had to send documentation to support the vessel is stored out of state.
This is true. Mine is in needles. No getting around it for now, for me.

dribble

Reaction score
I keep the mussel sticker in my glove box. The only reason why the boat registration renewal is so cheap is because the politicians haven’t figured it out yet.

propcheck

Reaction score

It buys you more worthless government programs👍😂
FEE= Tax.

Reaction score
They have it figured out... It's called unsecured property tax!

unsecured property county tax, I guess to boat on empty reservoirs or maybe because boat is sitting in said county. mine went down to $ 303. this year

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score
They have it figured out... It's called unsecured property tax!
That's collected by the county. They are two completely different taxes. Mine currently is $120.00 per year. They collect it on the boat only, not the trailer. I hope they don't figure out that it's worth about three times the assessed value. I once received an assessed value on my jet boat of $9500.00. I paid 5K for it two years earlier. I called them up and bitched and they lowered it to $4500.00.

Backlash

Reaction score
No wonder this government is so fucked up. I got all four of my boat and jet ski registration renewals today. On the same day, at the same time. Four of them. In four separate envelopes. Each with four separate flyers and each with its own return envelope. Each renewal also had it's own postage. Are the DMV employees THAT dumb that they can't just shove all four renewals into one envelope, and save the taxpayers some money? 🙄

20211005_172451.jpg

707dog

Reaction score
Mine was 20 bucks plus the mussel sticker... paper wasn't even on folded payed it right away.

dribble

Reaction score
No wonder this government is so fucked up. I got all four of my boat and jet ski registration renewals today. On the same day, at the same time. Four of them. In four separate envelopes. Each with four separate flyers and each with its own return envelope. Each renewal also had it's own postage. Are the DMV employees THAT dumb that they can't just shove all four renewals into one envelope, and save the taxpayers some money? 🙄

View attachment 1056219
It has nothing to do with dumb. These renewals are generated by an automated process which is contracted out to the Office of State Publishing. Humans do not individually place statements in envelopes. Machines do. They upload electronic data from DMV and the machines do the rest. If humans did that job it would cost ten times more. The cost to mail these envelopes is up to 65 percent cheaper than regular mail because the sorting, bar codes and postage is done by the mailer. This is the most cost effective way to do this.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with dumb. These renewals are generated by an automated process which is contracted out to the Office of State Publishing. Humans do not individually place statements in envelopes. Machines do. They upload electronic data from DMV and the machines do the rest. If humans did that job it would cost ten times more. The cost to mail these envelopes is up to 65 percent cheaper than regular mail because the sorting, bar codes and postage is done by the mailer. This is the most cost effective way to do this.

Dont come in here bringing reason to this thread! 🤣 This is RDP right?!? It just seems like a waste.

Case in point. AAA Insurance has all of my vehicles on one form, and sends me a bill once a year. I dont get a bill for each vehicle, mailed to me with all of the stuffings AND return envelopes for each vehicle. A lot more efficient than the DMV. Just saying.....

Carry on! 😁

dspracing

Reaction score
Thank you for addressing this river whips grade comment with facts and logic.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I just received my boat registration renewals… I received four of them… Unfortunately two of those boats burned to the ground up at Lake Oroville…Called the DMV to ask them what to do about the two boats that burned one of which was insured…the insurance company was supposed to notify the DMV that that particular boat is no more… Insurance company did not do this…
… so now the DMV is going to send me all kinds of paperwork ..,statement of facts application for a duplicate pink slip ..,which on the insured boat ,,,I cannot apply for a duplicate pink slip because the insurance company became the owner of the boat when they paid me off…Dunno???…