WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CA boaters card?

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Whos got it and how did you do it? according to the deal 35 and under need it now this year. well im 35 so i guess I need. anybody got any tips?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Go register for it on the CA boater card website. Then go to Boat-US, they have a free class. The pages are timed, so it will take a day or two to get through it in your spare time.

All answers to the tests are available via google search.

Socalx09

Reaction score
Took me 5 hours. I went to the boat us website. Followed their directions and applied for the ID card. Then took the class and test. Pretty easy. There is some information I really don’t need to know for the lakes I use. The only tricky thing is make sure whatever answer you select in your quiz is the answer you want. There is no “final answer.” I accidentally clicked the wrong selection a few times and you can’t change it. Most of the questions on the quizzes are easy. It’s $10 and I got my card two weeks later.

Reaction score
I got one, and I don't even need it till 2025
but I was sheltering at home and BORED...
you study 6 parts then take the final...
boatus class is free
some others are $30.

mobldj

Reaction score
Go register for it on the CA boater card website. Then go to Boat-US, they have a free class. The pages are timed, so it will take a day or two to get through it in your spare time.

All answers to the tests are available via google search.
well thats just great.lol.some of the boaters on here need to actually read and learn how to operate their 300,000 river barge.just like life,you never know everything.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
well thats just great.lol.some of the boaters on here need to actually read and learn how to operate their 300,000 river barge.just like life,you never know everything.

The whole thing is a softball course anyway, like traffic school. I did pick up a few things that were applicable.

Riverryder

Reaction score
I did the boat Ed course what a pain! When I was at Ndow registering a boat they told me I could have went in got the book and mailed in the test on the last page. Wish I would have known that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I did pick up a few things that were applicable.

some of the stuff about the floating/stationary buoy's were a little Technical. who's the give away vessel, who's the stand on vessel ? in real life its more of a game of chicken. I even had to think about port and starboard, who sez get on the port side, put the cooler on the starboard side... I sit behind the steering wheel side and my passengers sit on the passengers side. but somehow I pass the final on the first try, 93 %

FCT

Reaction score
What’s the fine if they catch you without it? It’s insane to me that rental boats don’t have to have it! 🤦‍♂️

Reaction score
What’s the fine if they catch you without it? It’s insane to me that rental boats don’t have to have it! 🤦‍♂️

By 2025 all California boaters will be required to have a California boater card. Boat operators cited without a boater card may receive a fine of up to $100 for the first conviction, $250 for the second and $500 for the third.

Reactions: FCT

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
some of the stuff about the floating/stationary buoy's were a little Technical. who's the give away vessel, who's the stand on vessel ? in real life its more of a game of chicken. I even had to think about port and starboard, who sez get on the port side, put the cooler on the starboard side... I sit behind the steering wheel side and my passengers sit on the passengers side. but somehow I pass the final on the first try, 93 %

Same here..

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I saw this this morning and thought what the hell, I'll give it go. I just burned almost a whole day doing it.:eek:

I consider myself a fairly knowledgable boater and there were still some questions I got wrong. I'm having a tough time believing the average 21 year old jet-skier has taken this test and passed it.

Backlash

Reaction score
I wonder if the drivers of the three boats involved in the incidents in Parker two weeks ago had taken this test? Did anyone check to see if they had THEIR boater's card?? 🙄

ghansen

Reaction score
I took the class last Saturday. About 5 hours on the I learn to boat website. I was bored and figured it would be good information. Didn’t need it for 4 more years.

GRADS

Reaction score
I wonder how many RDP inmates are under 35 and boat in CA?....Because they are required to have their Boaters Card right now.

JayBreww

Reaction score
I’m risking it this weekend. Under 35. Totally spaced out, may try and have her do it while we drive there.

GRADS

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 8.19.13 AM.png

cuz_im_CR

Reaction score
I refuse to get one if jet ski renters don’t need them. The boat is registered in my wife’s name. I’m renting it from her.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Do I need one if I am a Nevada resident but my boat has c.f. numbers ?

Taboma

Reaction score

Or a California resident with AZ numbers ? I'll worry about it in another 4 or 5 years 😁 Although I'm probably a bit sharper today then I might be in five years 😂

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Or a California resident with AZ numbers ? I'll worry about it in another 4 or 5 years 😁 Although I'm probably a bit sharper today then I might be in five years 😂

Sounds like you only need to worry about it if you are a CA resident. Just keep an out of CA state valid ID on the boat, and use that if you get into a police encounter. How far you want to take that story line is up to you :)

Taboma

Reaction score
Sounds like you only need to worry about it if you are a CA resident. Just keep an out of CA state valid ID on the boat, and use that if you get into a police encounter. How far you want to take that story line is up to you :)

Given that option -- ahhh hell, I'm retired and blowing a few hours a day on RDP, I suppose I could break away and just take the test and get the card before I get like Joe --- you know, what's his name, :oops: that other guy running for President ? 🤔 😂 Fuck Police encounters, they don't always end well. :eek:

grumpy88

Reaction score
I legitimately live in Nevada now . It's just a pain in the ass to bring the boat back from parker to register it and a trailer . The DMV in Nevada is no treat ! Lol

Riley1

Reaction score
Lol . Funny guy !
Nevada has one also. Im 3 months too young and have to get it. Did the Boat US deal, got a receipt in an email, but never received my card. I’ve been boating my whole life but actually learned a few things

Last edited:

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I got mine on the Boat US site. It was actually pretty interesting. I have been boating my whole life, but still got some good info from the class. A Plus is if you are at a boat show in CA and the Coast Guard or State of CA has a booth promoting the class and the license and you show them your license that you already have they will give you a very nice inflatable life vest. I think they sell for about $150 from West Marine for free. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west...-inflatable-life-jacket--19295658?recordNum=1

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the class in Havasu, that you get a sticker for your boat for when you are done?

I think that would definitely be worth having.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I got mine on the Boat US site. It was actually pretty interesting. I have been boating my whole life, but still got some good info from the class. A Plus is if you are at a boat show in CA and the Coast Guard or State of CA has a booth promoting the class and the license and you show them your license that you already have they will give you a very nice inflatable life vest. I think they sell for about $150 from West Marine for free. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west...-inflatable-life-jacket--19295658?recordNum=1

Good to know! But if West Marine sells it for $150, it is probably $75 :)

hallett21

Reaction score
Has anyone taken the class in Havasu, that you get a sticker for your boat for when you are done?

I think that would definitely be worth having.

I would pay $200 if you guaranteed I was in and out in 2 hours or less.

hallett21

Reaction score
Is that how much that class costs???

No it’s free and painfully slow. Meaning you read the page and then have to wait for the clock to run out before you can click to the next page.

With drivers ED you’re able to walk into the DMV and take a written test at least.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
No it’s free and painfully slow. Meaning you read the page and then have to wait for the clock to run out before you can click to the next page.

With drivers ED you’re able to walk into the DMV and take a written test at least.

How long did the whole class take?