WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CA OHV green/red sticker question

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone heard news that all green sticker rides will be changed to red next year? I’m sure Commifornia would like to.

Captain Dan

Reaction score
I read in 2022 that all red stickers go away and all OHV "race" bikes must comply with previous green sticker requirements, and only green will be issued. Also read that all current red stickers will be grandfathered.

Check the CARB website for more....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I read in 2022 that all red stickers go away and all OHV "race" bikes must comply with previous green sticker requirements, and only green will be issued. Also read that all current red stickers will be grandfathered.

Check the CARB website for more....
This is what I heard as well. Great news for existing red sticker bikes. Horrible news for 2022+

dribble

Reaction score
This is what I heard as well. Great news for existing red sticker bikes. Horrible news for 2022+

I think it's great news for both. With motocross bikes all being fuel injected there will be plenty of opportunity for mapping them any way you want. Injected bikes already run cleaner. My 450 KTM MXC (Green sticker) is carbureted and I'm sure a lot dirtier than a current 450 SX (injected).

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Could everyone just register in another neighboring state after 2022?

Juding by the info below .... "it is not clear"

Sounds like you need a "nonresident OHV use permit", but even then, you are unconditionally treated as a red sticker bike. Now with the red sticker program going away, and anything 2022 - after being basically banned unless it is private land / closed course, not sure what ends up becoming of this law structure.

But hey......weather is great, don't step on any needles while your crapping in the gutter

C - What If I Am Visiting From Another State?

I will be traveling to California from another state to ride my OHV. Do I need California OHV registration (Green or Red Sticker)?

If you are a resident of another state and your OHV has valid registration from that state, you do not need a Green or Red Sticker or a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. If your OHV does not have valid registration or the equivalent from your home state, you will need to get a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. A title is not registration. For states bordering California, the Oregon OHV Permit, the Nevada OHV Registration Decal, and the Arizona OHV Decal meet the requirement for OHV registration by residents of those states.
A non-resident with an OHV from one of these states must purchase the California Nonresident OHV Use Permit to operate on California's public lands.

A non-resident need not purchase California's permit as long as they can provide valid proof that they have a current registration or their home state's equivalent for their OHV. If a nonresident cannot provide valid proof of possessing such a document, they must purchase the California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. (15)

What is a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit?
Sample Image of the Nonresident OHV Use Permit
The California Nonresident OHV Use Permit allows visitors to California, with OHVs that do not have valid registration or OHV identification from their home state, to operate by permit. The permit is available only to non-residents and currently costs $30 per vehicle.

California Nonresident OHV Use Permits can be purchased from vendors in California and surrounding states. A list of vendors can be downloaded at: Nonresident Permit Vendor List. (5)

Does the Red Sticker riding season apply to non-residents?

Yes. CARB has determined that the Red Sticker riding season applies to California residents and non-residents alike. A non-resident operating a dirt bike or ATV with either a registration or the equivalent from another state or a California Non-Resident OHV Use Permit is restricted to the Red Sticker riding season. Be sure to check the riding dates for the area in which you wish to recreate. Non-residents may be asked to verify their residency by a driver's license or other identification when contacted in the field. (9)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I think it's great news for both. With motocross bikes all being fuel injected there will be plenty of opportunity for mapping them any way you want. Injected bikes already run cleaner. My 450 KTM MXC (Green sticker) is carbureted and I'm sure a lot dirtier than a current 450 SX (injected).
The issue is, that competition bikes (red sticker bikes) wont even be an option for OHV use in 2022+. Closed course only, no use in CA deserts. I agree the new bikes are running cleaner, but CARB doesnt seem to see it that way

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I need the cliff notes version of this as I have a hard time wading through government bullshit memos and reports. I read the latest CARB stuff and it does sound like the red sticker thing will go away soon.

I’m still confused as to the exact year...but I understand it that every current red sticker bike would be grandfathered in to the green sticker program and new bikes would need to meet stringent guidelines. What kind of “sticker” they would receive I have no clue.

Really all I wanted to know is....can I buy that late model 2-smoke red sticker bike and have it become a green sticker in a couple of years....and it seems like that WILL be the case.

Also, fuk CARB and Commifornia (except the weather :cool:)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I need the cliff notes version of this as I have a hard time wading through government bullshit memos and reports. I read the latest CARB stuff and it does sound like the red sticker thing will go away soon.

I’m still confused as to the exact year...but I understand it that every current red sticker bike would be grandfathered in to the green sticker program and new bikes would need to meet stringent guidelines. What kind of “sticker” they would receive I have no clue.

Really all I wanted to know is....can I buy that late model 2-smoke red sticker bike and have it become a green sticker in a couple of years....and it seems like that WILL be the case.

Also, fuk CARB and Commifornia (except the weather :cool:)

Here's what i gather....

Great news for red sticker bikes built prior to 2022. Bad news for anything 2022 or after...
  • Red sticker goes away 2022
  • All bikes issued a red sticker prior to 2022 are grandfathered and given a green sticker moving forward
  • All bikes that don't comply and meet CARB emissions are not eligible for any type of OHV registration beyond 2022. Regardless of how clean they run with EFI - no compliance with CARB, no use unless private property or closed course

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Here's what i gather....

Great news for red sticker bikes built prior to 2022. Bad news for anything 2022 or after...
  • All bikes issued a red sticker prior to 2022 are grandfathered and given a green sticker moving forward
  • All bikes that don't comply and meet CARB emissions are not eligible for any type of OHV registration beyond 2022. Regardless of how clean they run with EFI - no compliance with CARB, no use unless private property or closed course

well thats one way for the enviro nazi's to get rid of the offroaders.

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
Here's what i gather....

Perfect, thank you!

DoughBallin14

Reaction score
So we can safely assume that the used bike / atv market will be a good mine and launch resale spikes before 2022 👍🏽 CARB can for sure suck it. Looks like i am keeping all the old bikes now.

Last edited:

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
Me to wife" Dear, we have to keep all moto's moving forward, they are worth more, antiques if you may". Wife scratches head and leaves the room...................