WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ca Real ID or just renew DL??

Turnup

Reaction score
Anyone switched over to the Ca Real ID? Just got my DL renewal which I can do by mail with no hassles, or they give you the option to come in and get the new fangled Real ID. Do it or not?? I know nothing about it..

sintax

Reaction score
really depends on if you travel by air often, or care about having to carry your passport for air travel.

another catch that most people miss, buying a firearm w/o a real ID in CA is a huge pain.

I did it during my last renewal 2 years back, it take 45min or so, and you DO have to retake the written test.

Last edited:

TCHB

Reaction score
I use my passport when I travel.

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Just got the real ID 3 weeks ago need to renew, we are lower River people so we hit the road Friday at noon pulled into the DMV at Blythe at 4:00 out and done at 4:35, with written test, eye test, filled out the application on line.
Just make sure you have all the required documentation!

PlanB

Reaction score
I got the Real ID. Going onto a military base is another thing to consider, if that's something you might need to do.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Did mine during the renewal. Pretty painless. Just make sure you have the correct docs

Spectra32

NorCal Member
Reaction score
My wife and I did them 2 months ago in Cali. Be sure you get pre-approved on-line and get the number.
Be sure you have all of the required documents. Did not need to take a written test, only the eye test. Written testing is required if you are 65 or older was what they told us.
I downloaded the Cali hand book and studied it thoroughly just in case. Glad I did, a lot has changed, I wouldn't have passed.
No Real ID no ammo or fire arm purchases in Commiefornia.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I didn't have time to gather my docs when mine came up last year, just renewed the regular. The firearm thing was in the back of my head, but didn't even think about ammo. So California up and decides to require us to go through hoops to buy guns, now ammo, and their own ID isn't good enough for the requirement they just created? I am down to under 1k rounds, ugh.

C-2

Reaction score
Some DMV offices are open on Saturdays and walking in without an appointment is possible.

Or, visit oddball locations like Blythe, Needles, or Ridgecrest. We recently went to Blythe, where they were complete assholes. Ridgecrest was cool, they were friendly and efficient there.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Got mine last month. Walk in. About 45 minutes. Fairly painless as far as I’m concerned.
As said above, make sure you have all docs AND they aren’t expired.
A gal ahead of me was rejected for an expired passport I think it was.

Icky

Reaction score
Made an appointment a few months in advance, pretty painless.
Bring extra documents just in case they don't like one. My girlfriend couldn't use one because even though she's listed on the house, the bill was addressed to me and not to both of us.

sintax

Reaction score
I didn't have time to gather my docs when mine came up last year, just renewed the regular. The firearm thing was in the back of my head, but didn't even think about ammo. So California up and decides to require us to go through hoops to buy guns, now ammo, and their own ID isn't good enough for the requirement they just created? I am down to under 1k rounds, ugh.

hell no man! thats what happens when they decided to give a whole shit ton of illegals a bunch of CA id's. Now all of a sudden you cant even trust your own IDs

grumpy88

Reaction score
I got my Nevada real I.d. 2 weeks ago . No more California I.D. required !!!

Don65

Reaction score
I went to the DMV in Needles, got there 15 minutes after they opened and it was standing room only, process took only 30 minutes, as others have said make sure you do the online application and bring the correct paperwork, got my new license in 2 weeks

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
really depends on if you travel by air often, or care about having to carry your passport for air travel.

another catch that most people miss, buying a firearm w/o a real ID in CA is a huge pain.

I did it during my last renewal 2 years back, it take 45min or so, and you DO have to retake the written test.
Buying a firearm in CA without a Real ID is actually no problem. I did it. The only issue is you have to have a Real ID to buy the ammo.... Typical CA.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Get a passport and passport card. Good for 10 years.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I did it and pretty easy. No eye test or written test. Like other have said have the appropriate docs. Its going to be required eventually so might as well just do it.

Boat 405

Reaction score

They need to make most of the motherfuckers on the roads these days retake the behind the wheel test.

gqchris

Reaction score
I use my Passport Card and Global Entry. I dont need to deal with that headache.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I did it in AZ and didn’t do any test.
Had my BC, passport and CA license in hand. Didn’t really need it because I ALWAYS have my passport with me anytime I leave home with my overnight bag, but figured what the hell. It ain’t no big deal.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Just go to Brawley or Blythe. No appointment needed, you might have 2 people ahead of you.