WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CA RV endorsement - required to pull a fiver

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Not sure if everyone is aware...but in CA, if you want to pull a fiver weighing over 10,000 lbs, you need to have this endorsement.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt5.htm

It's a 20-question test, and you're allowed 3 errors to pass.
I took it, didn't study anything, and missed two - so I passed.

The clerk may - or may not - have given me a bunch of these tests.
And the clerk may - or may not - have asked for the extra copies back.
If you're interested, send me a PM with your email address, and I may - or may not - send you a PDF of the test :D

UHHH SUCKA

Reaction score
Not sure if everyone is aware...but in CA, if you want to pull a fiver weighing over 10,000 lbs, you need to have this endorsement.

If you're interested, send me a PM with your email address, and I may - or may not - send you a PDF of the test :D

Unless you have a class A you're good. If you get caught, they will not let you move the rig. There's alot of guys out there doing this right now.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Did this just change? I thought it was a fiver over 15,000lbs and a tag over 10,000lbs. I read your link and I see it is for 10,000with a fiver now:)

Sandlord

Reaction score
Did this just change? I thought it was a fiver over 15,000lbs and a tag over 10,000lbs. I read your link and I see it is for 10,000with a fiver now:)

I thought the same thing.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
10,000 rules out any weekend warrior :)

bunkrepair

Reaction score
I was gonna say I have a tag weighing 15,000 loaded so I don't need this correct? How does it working when your registered in a state that does not offer this endorcement?

pronstar

Reaction score
The biggest issue is see is, many large toy haulers today weigh over 15k lbs.

<--- buries head in sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
When did they change this crap? My travel trailer is 11700 GVWR. According to this stuff I'll have to go get a class A noncommercial. I think you'll need to send me the test so I can brush up. How hard is it to do the class A noncommercial?

Don't think I'd be targeted as I'm not a toy hauler and only a double axle but I'd hate to be stopped and stalled on vacation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score
When did they change this crap? My travel trailer is 11700 GVWR. According to this stuff I'll have to go get a class A noncommercial. I think you'll need to send me the test so I can brush up. How hard is it to do the class A noncommercial?

Don't think I'd be targeted as I'm not a toy hauler and only a double axle but I'd hate to be stopped and stalled on vacation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if/when it was changed.
I've been on several forums where people talk about the RV endorsement that's needed, and everyone "says" a different thing.

So I just went to the DMV website and this is what I found.

I never bothered to look previously, because my toy hauler was only 23 feet.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I'm not sure if/when it was changed.
I've been on several forums where people talk about the RV endorsement that's needed, and everyone "says" a different thing.

So I just went to the DMV website and this is what I found.

I never bothered to look previously, because my toy hauler was only 23 feet.

Yeah I thought it was 15,000 pounds. I think getting a class A is a pain. I'm not fifth wheel. I'm tag so just getting this endorsement won't work according to your second link. Grrrr. This state blows.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Your new to you fiver is a big boy. I would be willing to bet you top 17-18k when loaded. Out of range of the RV endorsement and the truck.

WHat gets guys pulled over is the triple axles.

pronstar

Reaction score
Your new to you fiver is a big boy. I would be willing to bet you top 17-18k when loaded. Out of range of the RV endorsement and the truck.

It is...but ignorance is bliss, and the sticker says 13.5k.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

rampgirlll

Reaction score
Every race rig hauler either stacker or not, living quarters or straight trailer hauler by a big rig or a toter home that has hauled from Texas to California always gets hassled from New Mexico on. It's either weight, length or zebra muscles. What a pain in the ass.

Sent from somewhere in Texas!

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

This is true. My 28' enclosed was a two axle and the tag said 9900lbs gross. Any trailer that has triple axle is going to be over 15000 probably and maybe more. The officer is going to look at the tag for the gross. Mine had 5000lb axles but the tag was for 9900:thumbsup

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

You used to have to take a driving test (practical) also. Did they get rid of this part?

pronstar

Reaction score
You used to have to take a driving test (practical) also. Did they get rid of this part?

Yes, for the 15k RV endorsement there is no driving test.

To pull more than 15k you need a Non-Comm Class A, and that does have a driving test.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Yes, for the 15k RV endorsement there is no driving test.

To pull more than 15k you need a Non-Comm Class A, and that does have a driving test.

Anyone that goes down to take the driving test. Remember, do not drive your rig and trailer down by yourself. I have known people that have done this and the guy administering the test cancels the test because you didn't have someone licensed bring the rig down. Happened to two people that I know. Have someone licensed bring it to the DMV

pronstar

Reaction score
Did they make you retake the written portion of class c test as well, that's how I read the booklet? Maybe I'm wrong, I hope.

I dunno...I only got the RV endorsement.
I will probably get the Non-Comm Class C at some point, but haven't yet.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
What's next stopping at scales and log books ?:grumble:

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
This is not new - been this way for many years.

I posted about this a couple years ago. The good news is, only the CHP really knows this, and even then, it is mostly the DOT guys. I have a good friend in CHP and he had never heard about it. Your local lDMV may or may not know about it. At the Hemet DMV, they kept trying to give me the Class A test...I kept telling them Non-commercial Class A...and they were clueless. Finally, they found the 1 guy that knew what it was.

If you don't speed...you probably will never have a problem without having it, as I think the statistic is 95% don't have the required endorsement.

The requirement is based on the RATING of your trailer....not what it actually weighs. BTW - they can't force you to weigh your RV. They can ask, but nothing in the code says you have to allow it to be weighed. But again, this is on RATINGS.

Bumper-pull trailer rated 10,000+ lbs GVW AND 5th wheel/goose neck trailers rated 15,000+: It is called a Class A non-commercial. Written and driven. You take the driven part at the same DMV locations where they do the Class A driving tests. It shows as a RSTR: 71 on the front of your license and on the back say: Restrictions: 71 - May tow bumper pull recreational trailer 10,000+ GVWR and 5th wheel recreational trailer 15,000+ GVWR. Also, you are required to file a medical form once every 2 years. This is NOT the same medical for Class A. It is a form you fill out yourself. When I got my Class A Non-Com, the lady handed the medical form back to me. I said...That's yours! She had no clue what to do with it....and just stuck it with everything else. I don't think it is a big deal.

For 5th wheels and goosenecks 10,001-15,000 GVWR, you take the written test only. It shows as a restriction 41 on your license with similar wording stating you are permitted to pull a 5th wheel recreational vehicle 10,001 -15,000 GVWR.

Horse trailers are considered recreational vehicles and subject to the same requirements.

I get the same reaction from everyone I tell. 1. No you don't. 2. Is this new? 3. What if my trailer weighs less?

I found out from my BIL who is a city cop and got pulled over by CHP DOT unit. He was doing 80 mph+ coming back from Glamis. CHP almost made him drop it! But, he was close to home and the CHP ultimately just gave him a warning.

There are lots of stories on Glamis dunes that are just that....stories. I sat down with a DOT CHP and asked him about this. He says they like to leave the RV'ers alone as much as possible. The ones they typically go after are the guys with the lifted 3/4 ton 4x4 with a Cali lift going 80+ mph. They get a speeding ticket and an out of class ticket that combined is around $2,000.

So....slow down! :thumbsup

Edit: Some horse trailers are considered commercial vehicles when part of a business and are subject to being registered with the DOT. But the DOT doesn't like to make cowboys mad at them, so it is an area of "discretionary enforcement." :D

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
It is...but ignorance is bliss, and the sticker says 13.5k.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

I have a 15k rated dump trailer being towed with a pintle ring and the trailer is stamped...9980. :D