WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CA Throwing away $$

NicPaus

Reaction score
Public Works redoing the sidewalks on my block. They just poured this last week. Today they are tearing it out. Made them get there vacuum out and pissed them off. They were saw cutting around my new approach to cut out a 60' section. Looks like half the block getting torn out again. They have been here 2 months and looks like they might retire here. They have a bobcat and breaker sitting there the one they used to remove sidewalk first time. Now they are doing it by hand.

The lead guy told me this happens more often than not. You would think they would inspect the form levels before pour not after. But they checked after and said tear it out. Now we get saw cuts and patches in our brand new sidewalks. They also left the 3 trees that lifted the sidewalk to begin with cause the neighbor asked them to. Rest of the block was good condition. I bet the final cost per finished yard concrete is close to $10K.
20190104_075247.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
This was where concrete vac was needed. There 3rd cut just washing it down drain until I asked where the vacuum was. Had a pedestrian walk right through it and track it down the new sidewalk. Street has been covered with cut slurry for months it goes everywhere.
20190104_074857.jpg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
That’s fucking awesome!
My crackhead brother (rip) did a better job on my moms front walk on a 5 day runner with at least a gallon of JD in him each morning.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Ive seen it 100 X’s. Pave a road then dig a pipeline right down the middle a month later. Freshly paved bumpy road:rolleyes:

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
You should see by my office. They widened and re-poured Fullerton Road and then started cutting holes in it. And it's more than a foot deep. It was dirt for over six months just sitting there. It just sits there idle and doing nothing. I guess they can't get it striped anytime soon. What a mess.

UltraLucky

Reaction score
Actual County/City crews doing the work or Subs? I have seen low bid subs on these type of projects have to remove and replace at their cost due to failed post pour inspections. Inspectors don't seem to be much help until after the pour.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
This was where concrete vac was needed. There 3rd cut just washing it down drain until I asked where the vacuum was. Had a pedestrian walk right through it and track it down the new sidewalk. Street has been covered with cut slurry for months it goes everywhere. View attachment 715692
And yet by ca law that's a minimum 15k fine if they caught you doing it. Oh and you have too pay clean up costs.

NicPaus

Reaction score
County workers not subs. We're eating the costs not a Contractor.

NicPaus

Reaction score
And yet by ca law that's a minimum 15k fine if they caught you doing it. Oh and you have too pay clean up costs.
I know almost got a 10k ticket in Redondo beach. Got lucky and he let us clean it up. Not even a table spoon and we had to shop vac and mop the whole alley to make him happy.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
They like to come in behind you and test the pH in the storm drains, if it's alkaline thru stick it in and break it off.

Taboma

Reaction score
Not exactly on topic but ---- I'm asking because I know there's some knowledgeable people on here.
Is there a special reason Sewer manholes are strategically placed so one tire (Usually the left) or the other is forced to bounce over each and every one of them ?
Of course this becomes even more fun after years of re-paving and failure to properly raise the cover, leaving a nice 2" drop :mad::mad::mad::mad:

In our are they just completed a project of cutting the curbs and installing handicap access ramps. What's funny (And frustrating) is that several of these newly installed ramps lead right into the dirt or somebody's landscaping, because there's no friggin sidewalks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HCP3

Reaction score
Not exactly on topic but ---- I'm asking because I know there's some knowledgeable people on here.
Is there a special reason Sewer manholes are strategically placed so one tire (Usually the left) or the other is forced to bounce over each and every one of them ?
Of course this becomes even more fun after years of re-paving and failure to properly raise the cover, leaving a nice 2" drop :mad::mad::mad::mad:

In our are they just completed a project of cutting the curbs and installing handicap access ramps. What's funny (And frustrating) is that several of these newly installed ramps lead right into the dirt or somebody's landscaping, because there's no friggin sidewalks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can't really answer the first other than the best place for a utility easement is through a street. Typically on center-line.

The second part, there will be sidewalks as soon as the lot(s) is developed. The city/county will make the lot developer eat the cost of the right of way construction adjacent to the lot(s) if they are not already improved. It will be the developers responsibility for the new curb, curb & gutter, sidewalks, greenbelt, lane widening, turn lanes, medians etc. For now, it sounds like the city/county improved the intersections on their dime.

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score
That's not CA that's your local Jurisdiction.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score

Screw manhole covers how about the saw cuts on the damn freeway that one tire must ride on to stay in the center of the lane. Pisses me off to no end.

TCHB

Reaction score
This was where concrete vac was needed. There 3rd cut just washing it down drain until I asked where the vacuum was. Had a pedestrian walk right through it and track it down the new sidewalk. Street has been covered with cut slurry for months it goes everywhere. View attachment 715692
Kind of funny her in Havasu we would be real asphalt ever so often. Now we get this chip and seal. I call the city and they told me the chip and seal is what you will get and yes it is much cheaper. I like the new asphalt not this chip and seal crap.

Your ad here

Reaction score
So the sidewalk is more than 2% cross fall? Is this City of LA?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
They're redoing a bunch of our sidewalks right now too.
Their no parking signs came in handy though. I relocated one in front of my house last week when I went camping and low and behold I had somewhere to park my 5th wheel when I got home:D:p

NicPaus

Reaction score
So the sidewalk is more than 2% cross fall? Is this City of LA?
Yes city of LA. I did not check it but it was 1000% better than what was there. Might of been .0005% off but who cares leave it and do the next block in need.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
In downtown Sacramento, they put bike lanes between the sidewalk and parallel car parking.
Everyone was patting themselves on the back until the leaves started falling and the street sweepers won’t fit. Now they are buying small street sweepers.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Ive seen it 100 X’s. Pave a road then dig a pipeline right down the middle a month later. Freshly paved bumpy road:rolleyes:
They do this in Scottsdale on a yearly basis.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I remember years ago doing borings and monitor wells in streets in Stockton, Sac, Lodi etc.
We always had city inspectors and city concrete guys and city street guys hanging there that finished the top cement and road seal.
We would place the flush style Well monument after finishing the boring with half a dozen real important acting city dudes taking notes and then the city cement and road guys would take over.
I asked my boss one day why we didn’t do the completion and invoice it like normal.
He said “Are you fucking crazy?? No way we are assuming that liability!”

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
Yes city of LA. I did not check it but it was 1000% better than what was there. Might of been .0005% off but who cares leave it and do the next block in need.

Who cares is the ADA, suing for non compliance is a cottage industry for them. Best do it right or you're gonna be fucked, As far as them not having their vac out when they started, no private contractor would dare do that. I had an inspector in Berdoo tell me years ago if my saw blade went into the material before I had my vac out and set up he would cite me.It's shows how much things change, in the late 70's when I first started we would bring out water trucks on big jobs and wash the slurry into the storm drains. Nobody cared as long as you got it all in there

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Screw manhole covers how about the saw cuts on the damn freeway that one tire must ride on to stay in the center of the lane. Pisses me off to no end.
Fuckin freeways everytime you cross a bridge. I feel like im in a supercross race getting massive air

Your ad here

Reaction score
The guy said this happens often? I wonder if they are setting the forms to 2%. We always set them to 1.5% and would constantly be checking the concrete with a smart level as we were working it to make sure it didn't exceed 2%

HCP3

Reaction score
The guy said this happens often? I wonder if they are setting the forms to 2%. We always set them to 1.5% and would constantly be checking the concrete with a smart level as we were working it to make sure it didn't exceed 2%

I can relate. ADA is a big deal.

NicPaus

Reaction score
"More often than not" lead man said. Just got home from work and they tore out 2 of the last pours one on my side one on other side of street. See how much more gets tore out. There was 3 or 4 pours between the 2 ripped out. Going to take them 4 months to do our 1 block and I would guess it is 600' from stop sign to stop sign.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I can relate. ADA is a big deal.
I know it can be. Can they go after city for existing sidewalks or just after they are poured new? Before old neighbor would not even attempt sidewalk with walker what they tore out he was cruising better than ever. Now another week in the street until it gets reformed and poured. Hopefully they check grade on forms not after.