WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

CA Title and Register in AZ Question

DanG

Reaction score
I know similar questions have been asked and I have done the search, so I have seen the "private party AZ, no tax" responses. I am looking for more specific clarification from someone that has possibly done the process. Obviously I am trying to avoid paying anything extra to CA, so any advice is appreciated.

Purchasing a boat with CA Title and CA Registration.
Purchased from a CA Resident that has a place in Havasu Springs, Parker, AZ.
Transaction and delivery will take place in Parker, AZ.

I am a CA resident, but own a home in LHC, AZ.
I will use and store boat at home in AZ.
My plan is to register the boat in AZ as non-resident and trailer in CA (so it matches my tow vehicle).

Question:
Is there any special paperwork I need to have completed from the seller to show the boat was purchased and delivered in AZ?
Will I have to pay taxes to CA anyway since both buyer and seller are technically CA residents?

Again, looking for someone that has been through the above and can provide personal experience. Thank you for your time.

Pic for Interest.
IMG_2547.JPG

Dan

sintax

Reaction score
I bought in CA, from a private party, paid cash.

sent my title to Sierra Title in AZ. (sierra-title.com) and they processed it for me in AZ, as non-resident. Got my new AZ numbers, and its stored in AZ.

CA tax collector came looking for his cut since the seller submitted his sale form to the DMV, as he should. I told them its no longer in CA, and sent him a copy of my AZ reg. He said have a good day.

Zero tax ever paid. (aside from the income tax)

remember folks, taxation is theft.

DanG

Reaction score

sent my title to Sierra Title in AZ. (sierra-title.com) and they processed it for me in AZ, as non-resident. Got my new AZ numbers, and its stored in AZ.

CA tax collector came looking for his cut since the seller submitted his sale form to the DMV, as he should. I told them its no longer in CA, and sent him a copy of my AZ reg. He said have a good day.

Thank you sintax. I am also paying cash so no lender to be concerned with. I will check out Sierra Title as an option. Thank you

sintax

Reaction score
Thank you sintax. I am also paying cash so no lender to be concerned with. I will check out Sierra Title as an option. Thank you

it was a pure convenience factor for me. If you intend on heading out there, then i'd just do it in person and save a few bucks. When I did mine I think it was January, and had no intentions of going out there for at least 3 mo or so.

sfury

Reaction score

Michele at Sierra title is awesome! I send all my stuff to her and zero problems.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have mailed my paperwork to game and fish and got everything done never leaving my house. I put Havasu address with that mailing address and they made me a resident without asking me.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
If you have an AZ address why register either in CA? I think the answer is right there, and it will save you a coupla hundred a year on top of the tax savings.

DanG

Reaction score
If you have an AZ address why register either in CA? I think the answer is right there, and it will save you a coupla hundred a year on top of the tax savings.

Yes I have an Arizona address, but didn’t want any issue with trailer not matching tow vehicle. Though the majority of towing will be 2 miles to the launch in AZ. I will consider doing the trailer as AZ as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicMan

Reaction score
Yes I have an Arizona address, but didn’t want any issue with trailer not matching tow vehicle. Though the majority of towing will be 2 miles to the launch in AZ. I will consider doing the trailer as AZ as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I purchased my boat in Arizona kept it registered there as out of state user. Real simple process, did not pay California taxes. I store my boat in Needles I do have to pay out of state registration though to Arizona fish and game close to $400 per year.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

I did exactly this too!!! Super easy to do. My tow vehicle is CA. No problems there. They can’t really pull you over for that. That a bull shit thing and no one has really had that happen to them you will be fine.