WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ca to Az, person to person AR transfer

bsand

Reaction score
Good evening gents.

I am an Az resident and I have recently purchased an AR lower from a friend, he is a Ca resident and the lower is registered to him.

I want to remove him from the registration, and register it to myself.

Has anyone done a P2P transfer from a Ca resident to an Az resident?

I assume that it must be done at an Az FFL?

gbautista72

Reaction score
Hi. A few months ago someone else had a similar question. I Googled it. I found this on CalGuns.net "No, the DROS is a CA thing. You need to send in a form "NOTICE OF NO LONGER IN POSSESSION" notifying CA DOJ that you no longer own the handgun. (In this case, it's the lower)" Also, I was curious what was on my own CA DOJ report. I requested my report, which took 3 months to get, and it was accurate. It showed all the guns still registered under my name. So it makes sense that you have to notify CA DOJ that you don't own them anymore.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
In order to sell a gun across state lines you have to use a ffl. He can either bring it to az and you both go to am ffl or he can ship it too ypur ffl.

Federal law. For him i would say take it to his local ffl, have them ship it to your ffl, that way he has another record of him not owning it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The only records database for ownership is CA DOJ.

Using an AZ FFL is the legal thing to do to transfer ownership. But it doesn’t remove the gun from the previous owner’s CA DOJ database.

You have to petition the CA DOJ separately to get him removed as the owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bsand

Reaction score
All valuable information, Thanks!

I am thinking we will do this: Next time that he comes to the river (Az.), We both go to an Az. FFL and handle the Person to Person transfer. As a secondary, I will have him complete the CALIFORNIA NOTICE OF NO LONGER IN POSSESSION form.

racetrash

Reaction score
I was the OP on this question, the No longer in possesion form has more than one way to fill out, I'm lucky to be able to fill out the "no longer state resident".