WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cabo San Lucas?

Lumpy

Reaction score
Looking for the RDP braintrust recommendations for a hotel.
Got screwed by the airlines on our February trip to Belize so my lady and I are trying to salvage the time we have off.
Whatchya got?

Taboma

Reaction score
Im a 35 year Solmar regular.... keeps me close to town but away from idiots and on more private ocean side. Best in Jan- Mar for whales but still always my only spot
Back in the 80's, one of my favorite pastimes was sitting out on the patio bar of the Old Finisterra after a day of fishing, drinking beers while watching the Frigate Birds work in the surf down in front of the Solmar. I was amazed how they'd dive, nail a fish, then circle, climb, circle, climb and soar so high you could barely see them, and then come rocketing down, yet barely kick spray as they'd break the surface -- then, repeat, over and over. Very Cool 😘

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Boss has a place at the viceroy and loves it. I really like the playa grande, but had the presidential suite and it was quite a while ago.

Roosky01

Reaction score
We’ve stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica. Very nice adults only resort. We got married at the Hacienda Del Mar. It’s also top notch.

Both are off the main drag and have more of a peaceful vibe.
Pacifica is a great place if you just want to relax and enjoy romantic relations with your better half along with an occasional trip into town. We were married on the beach there and have stayed 4 or 5 times and its a fantastic all-inclusive.

We now usually stay at Tesoro (cause it's cheap and the rooftop pool is sweet) when we go down in October for the Bisbee and want to be right in the thick of things in the Marina. Club Cascadas on Medano Beach when we go down in March and just love the location and vibe at that place.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Thanks! Taking notes and investigating!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Back in the 80's, one of my favorite pastimes was sitting out on the patio bar of the Old Finisterra after a day of fishing, drinking beers while watching the Frigate Birds work in the surf down in front of the Solmar. I was amazed how they'd dive, nail a fish, then circle, climb, circle, climb and soar so high you could barely see them, and then come rocketing down, yet barely kick spray as they'd break the surface -- then, repeat, over and over. Very Cool 😘
Oh yes Finnesterra next door is a good all inclusive hookup.... Whale room in the 80-90s awesome. Lil fancier today but still a winner.

Taboma

Reaction score
Oh yes Finnesterra next door is a good all inclusive hookup.... Whale room in the 80-90s awesome. Lil fancier today but still a winner.
It apparently underwent some major additions and alterations in the years following my stays. When I stayed there, Solmar was a small hotel down on the beach, with Finnesterra above along the ridgeline. But certainly not a resort destination in and of itself.
I haven't been back to Cabo since maybe 1990-91, and was there for hard core fishing, so just stayed down town at the Hotel Mar de Cortez. Running over for a few beers at the Giggling Marlin or going for Lobster to the ole Trailer Park.

Today looking at google maps, I struggle to find anything in the town and vicinity that's recognizable.
Hell, my wife might actually go there with me now, she sure had zero interest back in the day.

When I was last there I went to fish on a friend from San Diego's boat he'd taken down there. My friend Triff, was a crusty, salty old fuck who'd spent many years fishing commercially, so he fished hard.
After a particularly memorable day with each of us boating and releasing about FIVE pointy nose fuckers a piece and fishing till we couldn't hold a rod any longer, it was getting dark.
We were doing about 10 knots running downhill along the coast back into Cabo. After having spent so many years fishing of the So Cal Coast, I was accustomed to seeing a multitude of lights along the coast, this night was starkly different. I'd never seen so much darkness looking towards land, there was no way to distinguish where the ocean stopped and the land began. Finally as we got closer to the point at El Arco, I could barely make out a few lights of the Finnestara and Solmar, but it wasn't until we came around the arches that Cabo and beyond revealed themselves.

When I view google maps now, I'm amazed at the growth and I imagine that coast line is lit up like a cruise ship at night now.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
Waldorf Astoria el Pedregal is my favorite resort to date. I like going to the downtown and being close to town. It’s not cheap but worth it to me.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
Breathless or ME...all inclusive, great fun atmoshphere, awesome pools. Funky Geisha at ME is one of our favorite restaurants in Cabo. Been to Cabo twice in the past 3 1/2 weeks....:D

It's a hard question to answer because there are so many different choices. If you have a specific question about restaurants, nightlife, hotels, etc...shoot me a PM.

Englewood

Reaction score
None of that matters. Just make sure and get tacos at Taqueria El Paisa!

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
We always stay at the "villa del Palmar" or if we want all inclusive it's the "Riu"

The del Palmar is pretty centrally located on the beach to were the Riu is at the far end.. cant go wrong with either. And I think Villa Del Palmar does all inclusive now too..

Taboma

Reaction score
We always stay at the "villa del Palmar" or if we want all inclusive it's the "Riu"

The del Palmar is pretty centrally located on the beach to were the Riu is at the far end.. cant go wrong with either. And I think Villa Del Palmar does all inclusive now too..
In a town like Cabo, what does all inclusive get you ? I'd imagine there's a multitude of food choices nearby, unless transportation has gotten real spendy down there.
Although it's been many years, well like close to 30 :oops:🤣 food was always inexpensive, unlike in Tahiti, where all inclusive was almost mandatory to avoid $ 45 burgers.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I am a Club Cascadas fan, it's "spartan" style, with no TV's or radio's in the rooms (other than what you bring).

More of a mellow getaway place, several pools etc to encourage actual people interaction or none if you so choose to just stay to yourself.

It's world class resort, the clubhouse has multiple TV's and 2 bars if you want to watch events etc.

Like a family focus or lovers getaway vibe. Lets just say there are fucking AMAZING places to stay there, private pools etc in the units.

Bring your fat wallet to really enjoy the best of it, it's worth it at least once.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
In a town like Cabo, what does all inclusive get you ? I'd imagine there's a multitude of food choices nearby, unless transportation has gotten real spendy down there.
Although it's been many years, well like close to 30 :oops:🤣 food was always inexpensive, unlike in Tahiti, where all inclusive was almost mandatory to avoid $ 45 burgers.

The Riu has like 6 restaurants and a few bars on site including a swim up bar in the pool. . So anything you want food or drink. Also your room is stocked with beer, water, soda and liquor(restocked as much as you want). Everything is included.

I had a hard time with this and it took few trips for my wife to convince me to try the "all inclusive". She finally did. First time I asked the bartender for our tab(I had a sandwich some nachos and about 3 drinks each), we had just got there, and he said "you have a "red bracelet", you already paid!" My wife and her girlfriend started laughing.. at that point it was game on..lol we definitely got our $s worth!

I actually ordered one thing in one of the restaurants I didnt much care for, no questions asked they brought back the menu and I ordered something else, no charge..

Last edited:

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

We stay in this villa when in Cabo.

It’s at Hacienda Beach Club right on Medano beach. It’s literally right on the beach and steps to the Office and restaurants etc. can’t say enough good things about Hacienda.

Great fireworks show each night from the villa.

Damn! $3500 a night for that villa, it's all about the benji's in Cabo! 😍 That place is sick!

Same for Cascadas, the elite stuff is spendy, but absolutely insane.

jadenchick

Reaction score
Damn! $3500 a night for that villa, it's all about the benji's in Cabo! 😍 That place is sick!

Same for Cascadas, the elite stuff is spendy, but absolutely insane.
It’s seriously amazing. The pics don’t do it justice.

dave29

Reaction score
I was probably right next to you having a beer. Back then the three hotels that were great were the Finestera, Solimar and Hacienda. Place was a paradise!!!!!!!! No signals or marina. Lobster dinner with all the tequilla you could drink was about $12.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
It apparently underwent some major additions and alterations in the years following my stays. When I stayed there, Solmar was a small hotel down on the beach, with Finnesterra above along the ridgeline. But certainly not a resort destination in and of itself.
I haven't been back to Cabo since maybe 1990-91, and was there for hard core fishing, so just stayed down town at the Hotel Mar de Cortez. Running over for a few beers at the Giggling Marlin or going for Lobster to the ole Trailer Park.

Today looking at google maps, I struggle to find anything in the town and vicinity that's recognizable.
Hell, my wife might actually go there with me now, she sure had zero interest back in the day.

When I was last there I went to fish on a friend from San Diego's boat he'd taken down there. My friend Triff, was a crusty, salty old fuck who'd spent many years fishing commercially, so he fished hard.
After a particularly memorable day with each of us boating and releasing about FIVE pointy nose fuckers a piece and fishing till we couldn't hold a rod any longer, it was getting dark.
We were doing about 10 knots running downhill along the coast back into Cabo. After having spent so many years fishing of the So Cal Coast, I was accustomed to seeing a multitude of lights along the coast, this night was starkly different. I'd never seen so much darkness looking towards land, there was no way to distinguish where the ocean stopped and the land began. Finally as we got closer to the point at El Arco, I could barely make out a few lights of the Finnestara and Solmar, but it wasn't until we came around the arches that Cabo and beyond revealed themselves.

When I view google maps now, I'm amazed at the growth and I imagine that coast line is lit up like a cruise ship at night now.
So true.... in '85 when I first discovered the original boutique Solmar that long stretch of beach was undeveloped.... its a lil South Miami now and prices to match. Happy I have my memories.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
If you are on a budget, The Bahia is the spot. 185 a night, right near The Office, the beach and plenty of places to eat and drink. Rent a Harley and do a day trip up to Todos Santos, great beaches on the Pacific side. To me Cabo is about partying and hitting the bars downtown. Plenty to do during the day, scuba, atv tours, etc. I've stayed at the big properties with all the amenities, but was always off having fun, not hanging at the resort.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

My first trip to Los Cabos was in 1978, I was 15. Rode the bus from TJ roundtrip for $24. It was such a cool area that was mainly visited by fisherman and surfers. I fished there every year for many years. I still enjoy going but its just not the same for me now. Finnesterra and Solmar and Mar de Cortez is where we stayed.

Taboma

Reaction score
So true.... in '85 when I first discovered the original boutique Solmar that long stretch of beach was undeveloped.... its a lil South Miami now and prices to match. Happy I have my memories.
was wasting some time on the net the other afternoon and stumbled across a blog that had these two aerial pics from 1988.
Hotel Finesterra.JPG

Hotel Solmar.JPG

Far more recent

Grand-Solmar-Lands-End-Resort-and-Spa-ariel-view.jpg

cabo-san-lucas-harbor-1966-barbour1.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
My first trip to Los Cabos was in 1978, I was 15. Rode the bus from TJ roundtrip for $24. It was such a cool area that was mainly visited by fisherman and surfers. I fished there every year for many years. I still enjoy going but its just not the same for me now. Finnesterra and Solmar and Mar de Cortez is where we stayed.
I think my first trip was in about 82', when a couple of us guys who enjoyed fishing flew down. After that my wife and I flew from La Paz in not much more than a crop duster to a couple of East Cape fly-in fishing resorts. My wife didn't care for that, because there wasn't a damn thing to do but fish, eat, drink and sleep. Nope even any shops for her to prowl around. Once I shared some pics of Cabo, she had zero interest. When I look at pictures now I'm amazed, the cartels must have used that place to launder a trillion bucks.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I am a Club Cascadas fan, it's "spartan" style, with no TV's or radio's in the rooms (other than what you bring).

More of a mellow getaway place, several pools etc to encourage actual people interaction or none if you so choose to just stay to yourself.

It's world class resort, the clubhouse has multiple TV's and 2 bars if you want to watch events etc.

Like a family focus or lovers getaway vibe. Lets just say there are fucking AMAZING places to stay there, private pools etc in the units.

Bring your fat wallet to really enjoy the best of it, it's worth it at least once.
The thing we love about Cascadas is meeting people that have been coming there since Cabo was nothing remotely close to what it is today. Cascadas was the second resort built in Cabo and I have visited with multiple people that have been coming back there since the early to mid to ‘80’s and those peeps know every damn thing that’s ever happened down there.

You will definitely run into someone that knows your family or relatives if you spend a week there, I love that place, but I guess I am an old soul. 😎

Lumpy

Reaction score
Why not go back to Belize?
Coco Beach resort in only 70% full as of earlier this week.

?
We were suppose to go in February but our flights were either canceled or changed all over the place...17 hour flight for what should be 6 1/2 forget it. So we scrubbed everything, started over and thought Cabo who be a good alternative but its no Belize. As of today my lady is still trying to rearrange her schedule for Belize but its not looking good...dont have a problem with the time myself but I aint going alone😆

Thanks for the lesson on Cabo everyone...let ya know what happens.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
was wasting some time on the net the other afternoon and stumbled across a blog that had these two aerial pics from 1988.
View attachment 1175337

View attachment 1175338

Far more recent

View attachment 1175339

View attachment 1175340
You brought a tear to my eye seeing the old Solmar. Man did I have some times there.... We always took a room way down to the right where we could walk out onto sand. I still see two waiters that I met from 80s when I visit. Watched their children grow up. I think it was around 1987 when I was sitting in lobby waiting for gal to join me and an older Mexican dude sat next to me and began chatting. He said he was the owner and planed to develop that stretch of beach .... and as we all know now, he sure frigging did. Sammy Hagar's place was only house up on that cliff top way down the beach at the time.

Taboma

Reaction score
You brought a tear to my eye seeing the old Solmar. Man did I have some times there.... We always took a room way down to the right where we could walk out onto sand. I still see two waiters that I met from 80s when I visit. Watched their children grow up. I think it was around 1987 when I was sitting in lobby waiting for gal to join me and an older Mexican dude sat next to me and began chatting. He said he was the owner and planed to develop that stretch of beach .... and as we all know now, he sure frigging did. Sammy Hagar's place was only house up on that cliff top way down the beach at the time.
Curious, was there any season or sea state condition where that stretch of beach was hospitable to entering the water ? Agreed, I only stayed at the Finisterra twice and spent my days fishing, but I don't recall every seeing anybody so much as dip a toe. I think I recall somebody telling me it was an immediate drop off, with treacherous rips.
In all the years I went to Cabo, not once did I ever go in the water. I did dive along the East Cape however.
I heard way to many stories from my fishing buddies who owned and skipper boats down there how they'd get their US docs to load them up with injectable antibiotics to take down. Even then many suffered nasty infections from making underwater boat repairs with so much raw sewage in the water both in the bay and out front of the Hacienda where so many boats used to anchor. Of course I imagine many of those boats were contributing and not being prudent where they pumped out.

cofooter

Reaction score
We stayed at the Finistrerra one time for the BIsbee's because one of the guys had timeshares there. Awesome place and location. One morning the GF and I went out swimming in the surf and the attendant runs down from the pool and told us we couldn't swim there., haha. We waved and kept swimming.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Curious, was there any season or sea state condition where that stretch of beach was hospitable to entering the water ? Agreed, I only stayed at the Finisterra twice and spent my days fishing, but I don't recall every seeing anybody so much as dip a toe. I think I recall somebody telling me it was an immediate drop off, with treacherous rips.
In all the years I went to Cabo, not once did I ever go in the water. I did dive along the East Cape however.
I heard way to many stories from my fishing buddies who owned and skipper boats down there how they'd get their US docs to load them up with injectable antibiotics to take down. Even then many suffered nasty infections from making underwater boat repairs with so much raw sewage in the water both in the bay and out front of the Hacienda where so many boats used to anchor. Of course I imagine many of those boats were contributing and not being prudent where they pumped out.
We stayed at the Finistrerra one time for the BIsbee's because one of the guys had timeshares there. Awesome place and location. One morning the GF and I went out swimming in the surf and the attendant runs down from the pool and told us we couldn't swim there., haha. We waved and kept swimming.

Deep water drop off with heavy rips that pop out about a mile off the Arch.

You were lucky. Lots of drowning on the pacific side because of that.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Had a timeshare at Casa Dorada, i use to get picked up on the beach a couple times a week to go fishing, we trolled along that beach a few times, the water would go from pretty deep to 3-4 feet, surge was crazy.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Its a great question.... There were always large red painted signs saying stay out due to big rips. It never stopped me from venturing out and it was easy stuff but thick and powerful. You may recall how steep the angle of that beach is.... the water depth drops off very fast causing those powerful small in height but beefy waves but once you get through that first one it falls off so deep you're in the flats. Thats where the gray whales were always swimming very close in. I'd drop down, open eyes and watch them scratch their bellies as they use that rough sand/ pebbles to remove bacteria and anything growing on their hides. Very clear water right there. If I stayed out a bit too long a Solmar security guy'd end up waving me out but it was always something I did if right season and wave conditions.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Looking for the RDP braintrust recommendations for a hotel.
Got screwed by the airlines on our February trip to Belize so my lady and I are trying to salvage the time we have off.
Whatchya got?

We didn't Stay here, but the girls all had Tea there one day. Walked around the grounds a bit. The place was Fucking amazing.

And yes, the water looks Exactly like that. No Photoshop required.

Taboma

Reaction score
Its a great question.... There were always large red painted signs saying stay out due to big rips. It never stopped me from venturing out and it was easy stuff but thick and powerful. You may recall how steep the angle of that beach is.... the water depth drops off very fast causing those powerful small in height but beefy waves but once you get through that first one it falls off so deep you're in the flats. Thats where the gray whales were always swimming very close in. I'd drop down, open eyes and watch them scratch their bellies as they use that rough sand/ pebbles to remove bacteria and anything growing on their hides. Very clear water right there. If I stayed out a bit too long a Solmar security guy'd end up waving me out but it was always something I did if right season and wave conditions.
Did you ever see those mondo brown sharks that cruise along that same drop-off ?
Caught one coming in at the end of one day on a Mexican boat --- skipper was seriously pissed because he hadn't realized we'd gotten bored and quietly dropped a jig out back. But because it was his rig and jig, he didn't want to cut it off, so we had to stop and fish the damn thing.
After my buddy got it in, then the skipper wanted to keep it, problem was, it was still alive when we'd got it onboard, and it woke up and kept thrashing around the cockpit. Skipper and deck hand were sitting on the bridge laughing their asses off at three gringos jumping around to stay clear.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Did you ever see those mondo brown sharks that cruise along that same drop-off ?
Caught one coming in at the end of one day on a Mexican boat --- skipper was seriously pissed because he hadn't realized we'd gotten bored and quietly dropped a jig out back. But because it was his rig and jig, he didn't want to cut it off, so we had to stop and fish the damn thing.
After my buddy got it in, then the skipper wanted to keep it, problem was, it was still alive when we'd got it onboard, and it woke up and kept thrashing around the cockpit. Skipper and deck hand were sitting on the bridge laughing their asses off at three gringos jumping around to stay clear.
Can't say I did... thankfully.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
finisterra we stayed many years starting in the 90s as my Mother in law had a timeshare she never used. It was on the marina side of the hill and before they did the new addition down on the pacific side. I remember we sat through the timeshare pitch for the new place but declined. I prefer san jose del cabo last month I stayed at the Cabo Azul which is a nice oceanfront resort there. We went and had lunch one day at the Montage on the corridor was super nice. I know I did some surf fishing in front of the finisterra a couple times the thing about that beach is how steep it is near the water and when the wave recedes it like a river flowing back into the ocean. You can literally be staring face to face with an 8ft shorebreak wave fun stuff and then try to run up the slope but the sand was super deep like quicksand. I've swam in front of cabo azul and they say its not a swimming beach but its just the shorebreak you have to navigate through its not that rough.