WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Calexit...Yah, another one

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
So, this isn’t the normal shit on CA thread, but more of a question as to logistics.

Anyone move to a place they have only been a few times?

The wife and I have two 4-7 days trips planned to stay with friends in the North Dallas area while speaking to builders and looking at properties. One is in two weeks and the other is in May. We’ve only been once before, last fall, for 5 days and loved it...

The trips should give us 3 of the seasons, but they are all pretty short trips. Anyone do a month long air bnb or something to test out the area? Timing seems perfect since we can’t go to the office, so it may make sense to get over there and stay for a while.

grumpy88

Reaction score
We had never been to the outer las vegas in our lives . We did two one day trips with a realtor and bought a house . I figure rent would be 2k a month and my budget was 450k on a home . After 1 year if we made a mistake i figured we would not lose much compared to renting . Turns out we are happy 1.5 years later and i would pull the same move again

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Good buddy of mine did a shoot from the hip move. He was a medic without department and decided to go the nursing route. Finished his schooling, while his wife finished her PA program at loma Linda. They went up to elko nv for job interviews and put an offer on a house the same day. Seems risky to me but he just went for it, guess we will see in the next year if he gambled right.

Keep in mind he is moving from Mesa az

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

PDQH2O

Reaction score
My wife made monthly trips to the Dallas area for work, I've been to DFW a thousand times but never out of the airport. After deciding to leave CA, we spent a long weekend looking at areas, based on friend's recommendations. Made a couple other trips to the same general area for the same purpose, but at different times of the year and decided north of Dallas was the place for us. Bought some land with a nice house, a pool and a stocked pond.

Could not be happier. We've got the best neighbors, and pretty decent weather most of the time. Though we're expecting to be about 19 degrees middle of next week. Still, we can't Can't imagine living anywhere else at this point in our lives.

You're taking the right approach. Start with the general are and hone your search to find the place that is right for you. Good luck, it's a big decision and deserves to be well thought out.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
So, this isn’t the normal shit on CA thread, but more of a question as to logistics.

The wife and I have two 4-7 days trips planned to stay with friends in the North Dallas area while speaking to builders and looking at properties. One is in two weeks and the other is in May. We’ve only been once before, last fall, for 5 days and loved it...

The trips should give us 3 of the seasons, but they are all pretty short trips. Anyone do a month long air bnb or something to test out the area? Timing seems perfect since we can’t go to the office, so it may make sense to get over there and stay for a while.

You do FB? I belong to a couple FB groups dedicated to leaving CA.

A lot of first hand info on a lot of anti California destinations.

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
YES......
We rented a house in Havasu in May of 2020, within 2 days I was looking for a house to buy and get out of California.
Had not been to Havasu since 2006, ya, 2006.....

Our original plan was to retire in the very nice house we have as a rental in Winchester, Ca., next to Murietta/Temecula area
and with our 39’ foot boat slipped in Coronado, have the best of 2 worlds.....well that changed quick after spending a few days in Havasu.
Now we are blowing out our rentals in Cali. One by one, including the Winchester one, and keep the boat in Coronado along with our new place in Havasu. Don’t get me wrong, we like that part of Cali., Coronado, and even San Diego that I consider the nicest big metropolis in Cali to live.

Like others are saying, try to rent in the new area for a year and rent out the current home if u are comfortable with that, you can rent it out and still blow it out as a primary tax free if you decide to stay and buy in the new area.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
we stayed 3 in Texas after Christmas. Mostly Austin and San Antonio.

Planning going back in a month or so for a week.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
My wife made monthly trips to the Dallas area for work, I've been to DFW a thousand times but never out of the airport. After deciding to leave CA, we spent a long weekend looking at areas, based on friend's recommendations. Made a couple other trips to the same general area for the same purpose, but at different times of the year and decided north of Dallas was the place for us. Bought some land with a nice house, a pool and a stocked pond.

Could not be happier. We've got the best neighbors, and pretty decent weather most of the time. Though we're expecting to be about 19 degrees middle of next week. Still, we can't Can't imagine living anywhere else at this point in our lives.

You're taking the right approach. Start with the general are and hone your search to find the place that is right for you. Good luck, it's a big decision and deserves to be well thought out.
Where in N Dallas did you land? We know the area that works for us, at least initially. Flower Mound area.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
we stayed 3 in Texas after Christmas. Mostly Austin and San Antonio.

Planning going back in a month or so for a week.
Honestly, your thread sort of put the idea in out head. Our friends have been in Sand Point,ID since before Thanksgiving and then I saw you drag the trailer out there. I couldn’t do Pop’s trailer with two dogs, but I could make the drive with the pups and rent a place.

I’m having a hard time finding short term rentals, though.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Honestly, your thread sort of put the idea in out head. Our friends have been in Sand Point,ID since before Thanksgiving and then I saw you drag the trailer out there. I couldn’t do Pop’s trailer with two dogs, but I could make the drive with the pups and rent a place.

I’m having a hard time finding short term rentals, though.

how long of a rental? Some koa’s have cabins. Not sure the cost but could work for a month or 2.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
how long of a rental? Some koa’s have cabins. Not sure the cost but could work for a month or 2.
Just looking for a month right now, but two may work as well. Ideally it would be extremely close to the neighborhood we’re looking at. Paying double rent is worth it for a jump like this.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, two weeks after spending an afternoon here, we had a house in escrow...Stupid, brave, whatever the case. It's worked out good for us. Only 370 mile move for us though.

Nordie

Reaction score
Good buddy of mine did a shoot from the hip move. He was a medic without department and decided to go the nursing route. Finished his schooling, while his wife finished her PA program at loma Linda. They went up to elko nv for job interviews and put an offer on a house the same day. Seems risky to me but he just went for it, guess we will see in the next year if he gambled right.

Keep in mind he is moving from Mesa az

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Elko, NV? Not a whole lot going on up that way. Beautiful area though.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

I moved to TX without ever even visiting here before. I mean I drove through it once, but short of flying out here to meet the guy I was going to be working for I had never been.

Its like jumping in the lake, you can't dip your toes you just have to go for it!

Best thing I ever did BTW. ONLY thing I miss is my proximity to Havasu and the strip.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Where in N Dallas did you land? We know the area that works for us, at least initially. Flower Mound area.

North Collin County. It’s booming, still with a mix of city and rural places. Close to town and you can be all alone if you choose to be.

Stay north of 380. Weather tends to bend around our area, according to friends and historical weather path maps.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
My manager asked “you want to move to Dallas and cover Texas in general?”

I’d been all around DFW area, and experienced every season and just about every weather. Wife had never been. Flew out for 4 days and signed contract to build a new tract home on day three. Set the budget, narrowed to basically two general areas (Prosper and Haslet). @rrrr had mentioned these in a tread here. Went to the former area first and that was it. Some on our street are native Texans and comment “how the hell did you find this town/and neighborhood from California?” Lol. Hey, it’s the power of RDP. Sometimes, you throw that first dart and it’s a bullseye. That’s what I feel like with this move.

kurtis500

Reaction score
First, if you buy then sell again soon because its not what you want you will be paying tens of thousands in realtor fees just to get where you wanted eventually!!

Definitely rent first if you are not 100% sure. I moved to Park City and thought I knew the neighborhood I wanted to live in before I moved. We rented and kept our Phoenix house thankfully.. The neighborhood we ended up in was not the one we imagined at first but the smartest thing I did was rent and see for myself. Get in the community and get used to it a little before if you can. I had NEVER rented a house or lived in a rental before that.. Well worth it although Its hard not owning at times.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Agree with Kurtis 500. Rent out your pad in California and Rent a place in Dallas for a year before committing to anything. (I’ve done this once and it cost me a buttload of cash to move three times) After your there a while you may want to be in another area of Texas or God forbid move back to California, lol 😂

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We came to visit my mother-in-law here in Tucson for a week back in April as well as sitting down with a few potential employers. Immediately had 3 beyond solid job offers and we liked the area, for a desert at least, so that next month we listed the house and moved to Tucson the following month. I really like the city and REALLY like the company I work for (I truly loved my last company in California and consider the family good friends btw). There are so many different kinds of areas in the city though, I would never have bought a house without truly exploring the area and the very different neighborhoods along with their various pros and cons and the multitude of development plans that are going to directly effect their various areas they serve.

Making the jump to move is one thing and not that risky in my opinion, but buying on the other hand...... There can be a lot of risk without extensive homework done before hand.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
YES......
We rented a house in Havasu in May of 2020, within 2 days I was looking for a house to buy and get out of California.
Had not been to Havasu since 2006, ya, 2006.....

Our original plan was to retire in the very nice house we have as a rental in Winchester, Ca., next to Murietta/Temecula area
and with our 39’ foot boat slipped in Coronado, have the best of 2 worlds.....well that changed quick after spending a few days in Havasu.
Now we are blowing out our rentals in Cali. One by one, including the Winchester one, and keep the boat in Coronado along with our new place in Havasu. Don’t get me wrong, we like that part of Cali., Coronado, and even San Diego that I consider the nicest big metropolis in Cali to live.

Like others are saying, try to rent in the new area for a year and rent out the current home if u are comfortable with that, you can rent it out and still blow it out as a primary tax free if you decide to stay and buy in the new area.

Have the same plan in place but worried that home in Havasu is too small to eventually be our main residence. How big of a place did you go with in LHC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
I know your looking in Flo Mo and Highland village, dont be afraid of Roanoke, Northlake, Argyle, Lanatana, Double oak.

Lots of new built neighborhoods are hitting you with a hud, pud.

Also what builders you looking at? There are some that are literally for shit..

Texas realtors are really good about getting houses posted on realtor, zillow , as they hit the MLS here.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Agree with Kurtis 500. Rent out your pad in California and Rent a place in Dallas for a year before committing to anything. (I’ve done this once and it cost me a buttload of cash to move three times) After your there a while you may want to be in another area of Texas or God forbid move back to California, lol 😂

I rent in CA, so no worries there. It makes it pretty easy to pick up and leave when you're month to month. I will start looking for rentals in TX. That's going to be another good option.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I know your looking in Flo Mo and Highland village, dont be afraid of Roanoke, Northlake, Argyle, Lanatana, Double oak.

Lots of new built neighborhoods are hitting you with a hud, pud.

Also what builders you looking at? There are some that are literally for shit..

Texas realtors are really good about getting houses posted on realtor, zillow , as they hit the MLS here.

Right now we're looking at Toll Brothers-Oakbridge at FM, Toll Brothers-Vickery, and Lennar-Bradford Park. We plan on stopping by The Highlands in Northlake, but I doubt that will work for us right now. My wife's friends are too far away, but that's really the living I want. I like the layouts of Glacier Custom Homes and nice 1 acre lots.

Havoc Powesports

Reaction score
I'm Just past Highlands in Northlake, In North Ridge Estates. We have 1 home for sale by owner in here. 2800sqf, nice shop, no pool, 1 acre 485ish ( could be bought a little less)

From my house to Highland Village is 14 miles 22 mins per Google maps just to give you a good reference.

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
Have the same plan in place but worried that home in Havasu is too small to eventually be our main residence. How big of a place did you go with in LHC?

2550 sq. 1/4 acre lot, big pool (pool virgin, love it) no rv garage, 45’ deep single and a double for 2 cars. only downfall of this place, but love the house, neighborhood and Havasu. It is only wifey and myself, 3br. and den so plenty big for us.
We sold our “mini McMansion“ of 3800 sq. ft.and 4 car in Oct. -19 and moved into one of our rentals of only 1445 sq. Ft. and 2 car garage.......big change, but.....most of this “stuff” we really do not need, I have a lot of vehicles/toys so garage and car storage is the real issue. We are only hanging in the prior rental for tax purposes and 2 year wait between primary sale for not tax...

If u need the bedrooms, then yes 4 bedrooms are not as prevalent in Havasu. Many 3/2 builds, not a lot of 4/3 and above.
We are in the Canterbury community at Chenoweth and 95, across from Loews, awesome community, none for sale right now, some 4/2 have come up. There are also new build lots down the street with good lots going for around $100K, build one to your spec. We like being out in the North side, quieter and town is only 8 minutes via 95.

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
Wow we have allot in common. Cali house is 4200 6 Bed 6 bath, 4 car garage with a 1 car workshop space. Rental is 4 Bed, 2.5 bath, 2 car in south county too. Have ash is typical 3/2, 1750 Sq ft with 2 car garage and 45’ RV garage. Pool in totally PDrive backyard. 180 degree unobstructed lake view from front. 3 homes on quiet cul de sac. Enough room on one side to add another 4 car (tandem) garage and possibly a great room on top and view deck roof depending on height limits. We plan to downsize to lower our tax obligation to CA as much as we can once kids are off to college (youngest will be 15 this year). We plan to file our taxes out of AZ but will need tax advice on how to handle Rental property (move in for 2 years and sell or use passive income it generates in retirement, will be paid off in 8 years) and how we can move equity (currently 900K-1M) to another CA small/condo residence. Already have several 401 K’s that are managed and since we are not financial gurus we will definitely need estate planning assistance. Retirement is planned to be in 8-10 years. I plan to continue to have toys; boats, Offroad, classic cars. Any advice as to where you started would be appreciated.