WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California approved handgun list?

AEA

Reaction score
What is it about the requirements that so many manufacturers choose not to comply with? It looks like many of the well known gun makers have basically abandoned California.

J DUNN

Hallett 240 Owner
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I do have one to add.

I've got a BIL in FBI and we go visit him last year. While there we go shooting at a range and store front is stacked with hand guns WAY beyond what is here in CA (supports your point). They also had silencers and I said, can't buy one or a nice handgun cause I'm from CA. Shop owner says he's not sure why I couldn't buy one, I dismiss it and keep browsing. Later at BIL house he says he's not sure what would prevent me from buying whatever handgun I wanted and returning (via air) to CA with it. He was shooting from the hip so to speak and didn't have the law in front of him. I said well, when I hand him my CA Driver License for identification he would run it and not be able to sell to me. He countered and said (in that State) when they run my DL it is just ran through a Fed background check and not a state so I would pass that and then buy my gun. Again, no law book in front of him but that's what he was supposing and I imagine was also why shop owner wanted to sell to me.

Now, transport via air and TSA is a whole other issue, or NOT an issue as I found out. They have NO idea what they are looking at and merely need to know the firearms aren't loaded so passing TSA would have been no problem.

So, is it really that easy to buy a gun out of state and then walk back into CA with it? I understand it may be illegal to posses it but so were mags at one point and the evil AR's, I'm mainly asking about the purchase.

Am I secretly making plans for my next trip? NO WAY, NEVER, wouldn't even think about it.😂

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't answer your question but I do have one to add.

I've got a BIL in FBI and we go visit him last year. While there we go shooting at a range and store front is stacked with hand guns WAY beyond what is here in CA (supports your point). They also had silencers and I said, can't buy one or a nice handgun cause I'm from CA. Shop owner says he's not sure why I couldn't buy one, I dismiss it and keep browsing. Later at BIL house he says he's not sure what would prevent me from buying whatever handgun I wanted and returning (via air) to CA with it. He was shooting from the hip so to speak and didn't have the law in front of him. I said well, when I hand him my CA Driver License for identification he would run it and not be able to sell to me. He countered and said (in that State) when they run my DL it is just ran through a Fed background check and not a state so I would pass that and then buy my gun. Again, no law book in front of him but that's what he was supposing and I imagine was also why shop owner wanted to sell to me.

Now, transport via air and TSA is a whole other issue, or NOT an issue as I found out. They have NO idea what they are looking at and merely need to know the firearms aren't loaded so passing TSA would have been no problem.

So, is it really that easy to buy a gun out of state and then walk back into CA with it? I understand it may be illegal to posses it but so were mags at one point and the evil AR's, I'm mainly asking about the purchase.

Am I secretly making plans for my next trip? NO WAY, NEVER, wouldn't even think about it.
I suggest starting here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J DUNN

Hallett 240 Owner
Reaction score
So, basically, illegal yes, but no more threatened by that law than someone who kept their AR stock or has illegal mags. I mean really, chance of some LEO going through my safe (if i had one) and/or stopping me in transport is like slim to none as long as I don't start dealing drugs or some other nefarious activity.....

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Be careful out there

IMG_3853.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Danger Dave

Reaction score
The "challenge" could occur at a range or public shooting area in CA. I could only imagine the interaction with a BLM or FS Ranger were they to encounter some CA non-compliant weapons in your possession during a routine check at a public shooting area.

lenmann

Reaction score
I was told by my local (CA) gun shop owner that in order to roster a new semi-automatic handgun in CA the gun will need to imprint a unique identifier on the shell casing as it is fired and/or ejected from the gun. I am guessing that the CA only market isn't attractive enough for the manufacturers to invest in creating such a feature.

I have not researched this, but have heard the same thing from other gun owners here in the golden state. The CA roster continues to shrink.

Reactions: AEA

sintax

Reaction score
The "challenge" could occur at a range or public shooting area in CA. I could only imagine the interaction with a BLM or FS Ranger were they to encounter some CA non-compliant weapons in your possession during a routine check at a public shooting area.
Thats the hard part with the handguns, there are so many other ways to get them.

Private party transfers
Inter-family transfers
CA relocations
Roster exemptions (Police, etc)

those are all valid ways to legally purchase these handguns guns. There ware way too many out there to ever assume they'd have any grounds do that, let alone who would ever have their paperwork on them to be able to prove they legally own the firearm. I think the story would be very different if you were rocking a machine gun out on BLM land obviously.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Most guys lose their "non compliant" ca. firearms two ways:

Domestic Violence
Stupidity of teenage kids

If you end up with Cops in your home for either of the above you have a good chance of losing the guns. DOJ is very relentless in cracking down on anything not compliant if it comes on their radar under Xaivier Becerra AG

Best bet if you just have to have non compliant stuff is to have a place in AZ and get all the off roster stuff you want.

Most of the handguns on the roster can be bought new by Cops and resold 6 months later. Cops have a limit on that per year, several lost their jobs after selling 100 plus guns that way with no FFL.