California Boaters Card Starting 2018

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Are you fuking kidding me! :grumble:

Capture.JPG

http://dbw.parks.ca.gov/pages/28702/files/CBC FAQs Seamless 1.5.17.pdf

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

The obvious thing is: I am going to be required to take a boater safety course from someone who has less time on the water than I do. Who has never owned, operated, or maintained a high performance boat of any sort.

And since Crazyfornia did this... The Peoples' Republic of New York is going to follow suit with something even more strict.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
The obvious thing is: I am going to be required to take a boater safety course from someone who has less time on the water than I do. Who has never owned, operated, or maintained a high performance boat of any sort.

And since Crazyfornia did this... The Peoples' Republic of New York is going to follow suit with something even more strict.
You know kommifornia won't be outdone, so expect more in about a year

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
You know kommifornia won't be outdone, so expect more in about a year

I can see the need to put this sort of thing on new boaters, as in I've never owned a boat before and for Lake Lice operators with no experience

Sonic45SS

Reaction score
Started this out my way over 10 years ago, primarily because of the jet skis. Anyone born past 1972 has to have a safe boater card now. Good idea originally when you actually had to go sit and take a class, Then pass a written test. Lots of idiots out here. We have thousands of miles of shoreline and a lot of open water.

But then they got stupid....created an online test, take it in less than 30 minutes and get a card mailed to you...UFB. Solved nothing in the end. Originally you learned navigation skills and rules of the road. I took the actual in person class just to have it. Then went on to take and pass the course to be a vessel safety examiner. Learned a lot of good stuff, and can learn a lot of good stuff if administered properly.

Grandpa mac

Now politics is kinda boring ;)
Reaction score
Can I rent my boat if I put it in a trust?

Or just take the damn class- it's probably only 8 hours and you spend more time on RDP in a week. Hey maybe Dave should develop an RDP class and get it approved for members- it could include advanced content for folks who already know port from starboard.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

That actually sums it up nicely.. LOL

Or just take the damn class- it's probably only 8 hours and you spend more time on RDP in a week. Hey maybe Dave should develop an RDP class and get it approved for members- it could include advanced content for folks who already know port from starboard.

So you are in favor of this thing in it's current format? Even excluding rentals?

Boatracer36

Reaction score
The only people who should have this stupid card are the people who rent!!! So if your boat is registered in AZ are your excluded?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The only people who should have this stupid card are the people who rent!!! So if your boat is registered in AZ are your excluded?

You wouldn't need it anyways.. I believe you have to be born after a certain date to have to have one?

RD

Grandpa mac

Now politics is kinda boring ;)
Reaction score
That actually sums it up nicely.. LOL

So you are in favor of this thing in it's current format? Even excluding rentals?

I'm not in CA so no dog in the race. I would say I favor universal boater education just as I favor universal drivers ed. I would also agree that people renting boats and skis need it more than anybody else, but unless you have memorized the full content of Chapman's there is still plenty for each of us to learn.

Aren't there reductions in insurance costs which would offset whatever these classes cost?

overtime

Boobs we all love um
Reaction score
I'm not in CA so no dog in the race. I would say I favor universal boater education just as I favor universal drivers ed. I would also agree that people renting boats and skis need it more than anybody else, but unless you have memorized the full content of Chapman's there is still plenty for each of us to learn.

Aren't there reductions in insurance costs which would offset whatever these classes cost?

My insurance carrier required me to get one 3 years ago.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ive been boating for 50 years and there is nothing they can teach me. Lol.
My neighbor showed up with a boat so i went and talked to him about it. Obvious that he had little exp i suggested he take a class since he had a little girl. He was not wo4ied since his wifes dad had a boat and she used to go on it.
After giving it the once over i pointed out the little hole under the drive that had nothing in it. He asked what was that for? SMH

River Runnin

Reaction score
Got my card years ago!...Go online, study a little, (except the Know-it-alls :rolleyes) take the F'n test, and get your card!...It's that easy!...And it's good for a lifetime! ;)

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
So will California Sheriffs enforce this on the river to California residents?

River Runnin

Reaction score
http://www.boaterexam.com

And!...

Reciprocity

All states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada’s requirements. (This is known as “reciprocity.”)

Singleton

Reaction score
So will California Sheriffs enforce this on the river to California residents?

Based on what I read the answer is yes. Also if you have an AZ registered boat, but the registered owner is a CA resident you better have one as well.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I started the Cal Boaters safety course online. But its so boring! :blah:

I got about halfway through the 2nd chapter and lost interest.

There is some good info about docking in the current and interpreting the different flags and buoys.

redone76

Reaction score
I took the course through Arizona Fish and Game and have a card that NASBLA recognizes. Does this mean I have to get a California one too cause I live here?

River Runnin

Reaction score
I took the course through Arizona Fish and Game and have a card that NASBLA recognizes. Does this mean I have to get a California one too cause I live here?

Unless you got me blocked or just missed my post!....;)...3-4 posts up! :)..........Or No! :) ...As I read it anyway!

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
Just finished the course online through Boat-Ed.com. Took around 3 hours because it's timed for each chapter so you can't fast forward. Lots of good info for me that I never knew about. Cost $29.50 ( you don't pay till you pass ) and all the paperwork is sent in for you, you can print a 30 day temp. Cert. card till permanent card shows up. Ive taken a lot of online courses with work and I have to say this one was very well put together.

redone76

Reaction score
Unless you got me blocked or just missed my post!....;)...3-4 posts up! :)..........Or No! :) ...As I read it anyway!

I read your post and that's what got me thinking. Will California even acknowledge it because I took it through Arizona F&G? You know California will try to fuck us somehow and say it can only be a California card

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
"Good for Life"? WTF! In my lifetime USCG Nav Rules, Rules of the Road, have evolved and changed. As have many other marine regulations. Somebody makes some money off this upcoming CA law passed by CA politicians who don't have a clue. The rest is just plain BS.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the basic position on California Boater Card enforcement from that office within California Parks and Rec. I would suggest contacting that office pertaining to questions about the new law -- "There is a borderline through the Colorado River and Lake Havasu separating California and Arizona, persons operating a motorized vessel on the California side will be required to follow requirements set by the new law. Law enforcement will be enforcing the California Boater Card and can pull over boaters with probable cause, then ask to see the operators boater card. Here is a map I found off google to give you a visual" -- https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...dff811dd0901e!8m2!3d34.2928265!4d-113.3985121.

Please contact me if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Bria Miller, AGPA
Vessel Operator Card Program
California State Parks
Division of Boating and Waterways
One Capital Mall, Suite 500
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-327-0179
[email protected]

d4l

Reaction score
We have this in Sweden aswell, its not required tho, but! It brings down the cost of your insurance by a ton. I got my course as a birthday present, and in this case the old man who hosted it was a farmer navy captain(back when we still had an army) but most of the times just like someone mentioned there are ppl with no real experience, they are desk sailers so to speak.

d4l

Reaction score
We have this in Sweden aswell, its not required tho, but! It brings down the cost of your insurance by a ton. I got my course as a birthday present, and in this case the old man who hosted it was a farmer navy captain(back when we still had an army) but most of the times just like someone mentioned there are ppl with no real experience, they are desk sailers so to speak.

Former! My phone does its best to make me look like an idiot[emoji30]

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Here's the basic position on California Boater Card enforcement from that office within California Parks and Rec. I would suggest contacting that office pertaining to questions about the new law -- "There is a borderline through the Colorado River and Lake Havasu separating California and Arizona, persons operating a motorized vessel on the California side will be required to follow requirements set by the new law. Law enforcement will be enforcing the California Boater Card and can pull over boaters with probable cause, then ask to see the operators boater card. Here is a map I found off google to give you a visual" -- https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...dff811dd0901e!8m2!3d34.2928265!4d-113.3985121.

Please contact me if you have additional questions or concerns.

Regards,

Bria Miller, AGPA
Vessel Operator Card Program
California State Parks
Division of Boating and Waterways
One Capital Mall, Suite 500
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-327-0179
[email protected]

You are somehow connected to this farce and honestly believe the cops on the water abide by the borderline down the middle of the river:eek.... While there is an imaginary "stateline" for map drawing purposes, any such line has ZERO to do with law enforcement jurisdictions... Hell, AZ or NV, or CA can, and DO, enforce laws on the far shoreline from their state...
Ray

Your ad here

Reaction score
Fuck I guess I don't know how to operate a boat without one of these card and I've been on boats my whole life. Its a money grab. However for adults new to the boating scene this will be good for them. A little bit of boating education, even if it's online, is better than no education at all. It may speed up launch ramp wait times.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Ya! That was pretty poorly written! ....They should have just said if your registered in Ca. and boat Havasu or any borderline waters you needs the card. ;)

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
You wouldn't need it anyways.. I believe you have to be born after a certain date to have to have one?

RD

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB941

678.11. (a) Subject to the schedule in subdivision (b), a person shall not operate on waters subject to the jurisdiction of the state a vessel that is propelled by an engine, regardless of whether the engine is the principal source of propulsion, unless the person has in his or her possession a vessel operator card issued by the division pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 678.
(b) A person is subject to subdivision (a) according to the following schedule:
(1) On and after January 1, 2018: A person 20 years of age or younger.
(2) On and after January 1, 2019: A person 25 years of age or younger.
(3) On and after January 1, 2020: A person 35 years of age or younger.
(4) On and after January 1, 2021: A person 40 years of age or younger.
(5) On and after January 1, 2022: A person 45 years of age or younger.
(6) On and after January 1, 2023: A person 50 years of age or younger.
(7) On and after January 1, 2024: A person 60 years of age or younger.
(8) On and after January 1, 2025: All persons, regardless of age.
(c) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(1) A person who is a resident of another state or a foreign country who is operating a vessel and meets either of the following requirements:
(A) The person is temporarily using the waters of this state for a period not to exceed 60 days, and meets the applicable requirements, if any, of his or her state of residency.
(B) The person is temporarily using the waters of this state for a period not to exceed 90 days, and meets the applicable requirements, if any, of his or her country of residency.
(2) A person operating a vessel while under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who is in possession of a vessel operator card issued pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 678 or who is not required to possess a vessel operator card pursuant to paragraph (6).
(3) A person operating a vessel in an organized regatta or vessel race, or water ski race.
(4) A person operating a rental vessel.
(5) A person who is in possession of a current commercial fishing license.
(6) A person who is in possession of a valid marine operator license, for the waters upon which the licensee is operating, issued by the United States Coast Guard, or who is in possession of a valid certificate issued pursuant to the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
(7) A person who has successfully completed a boating course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe this explanation regarding California?s new Boater Card as it pertains to Arizona boaters will be helpful. This information comes directly from Arizona?s top Boating Law Administrator.

Let?s start with the issue of joint jurisdictional waters: law enforcement officers from either state (AZ or CA) have the authority to enforce laws shoreline to shoreline only when the committed act is a violation in both adjoining states. When laws differ between the states (CA boater education) then the law of the enforcing state can only be enforced to generally, the center of the river or Lake Havasu. This is also true of the age of operation?16 in CA and 12 in AZ. The bottom line is that one state?s laws cannot be enforced in another state?s jurisdictional waters when it is not a violation in that adjoining state. So, California officers cannot enforce California law on the Arizona half of the river, regardless of registration or residency?that being said, the middle of the lake will have a lot of latitude. Now let?s look at the elements of the CA boater education card:
? It only applies to residents of California regardless of where your watercraft is registered;
? There is a 60 day reciprocity period for nonresidents to operate in CA waters without a card, so if a nonresident watercraft was moored in California waters, (like Havasu Springs Marina) the 60 day period would not begin until it was used or operated.
? Reality check here: to prosecute a nonresident that exceeded the 60 day reciprocity period, an officer would have to document that the person operated in California waters for 60 consecutive days?this task would be almost impossible.
? When the law becomes effective in January of 2018, it only applies to those persons 20 YOA and younger, so there will be a learning curve for all of us.
? Officers must stop you for some other reason before they would be able to ask you for a boater education card. If you believe you may be required to have boater card, taking the course is always recommended and usually takes only 3 hours to complete.
? Arizona?s online boater education course DOES NOT meet the requirements of California?s boater education card requirement because their course covers laws specific to California.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
http://californiaboatercard.com/about-the-card/

The card will be issued by the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW). DBW plans to begin issuing the California Boater Cards prior to Jan. 1, 2018, implementation date. The Boater Card Technical Advisory Group anticipates that the cost of the card will be no more than $10. The lost card replacement fee will be no more than $5.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
January 1, 2018: Persons 20 years of age or younger
January 1, 2019: Persons 25 years of age or younger
January 1, 2020: Persons 35 years of age or younger
January 1, 2021: Persons 40 years of age or younger
January 1, 2022: Persons 45 years of age or younger
January 1, 2023: Persons 50 years of age or younger
January 1, 2024: Persons 60 years of age or younger
January 1, 2025: All persons regardless of age

Hmmmm.... I'm not required till 2025...

But I got to admit..... 30 years ago I'd never thought I'd be boating after 65. Everytime I back down that ramp and get wet I remember why I boat :D. !!

guess I better start studying

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's one more piece of information that might help during this phase-in period. According to the San Bernardino County Sheriffs, if you're boating on the Colorado River and your boat is registered in Arizona but your personal driver's license is issued by California, you are required by California law to have a California Boater ID card. Boat registration state doesn't count, law enforcement will go by the state that issued you your driver's license.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Here's one more piece of information that might help during this phase-in period. According to the San Bernardino County Sheriffs, if you're boating on the Colorado River and your boat is registered in Arizona but your personal driver's license is issued by California, you are required by California law to have a California Boater ID card. Boat registration state doesn't count, law enforcement will go by the state that issued you your driver's license.

So what if I "don't drive" and have an AZ ID and my boat is registered in AZ :)

Constant840

Reaction score

So how long before a boating infraction translates to a CDL infraction?

Let them make it a privilege under the guise of safety and it now becomes something they can revoke.

thetub

Reaction score
Im curious how much they gonna charge for it?

$100 , $500 or $1000 we need the money we need the money....

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Maybe this explanation regarding California?s new Boater Card as it pertains to Arizona boaters will be helpful. This information comes directly from Arizona?s top Boating Law Administrator.

Let?s start with the issue of joint jurisdictional waters: law enforcement officers from either state (AZ or CA) have the authority to enforce laws shoreline to shoreline only when the committed act is a violation in both adjoining states. When laws differ between the states (CA boater education) then the law of the enforcing state can only be enforced to generally, the center of the river or Lake Havasu. This is also true of the age of operation?16 in CA and 12 in AZ. The bottom line is that one state?s laws cannot be enforced in another state?s jurisdictional waters when it is not a violation in that adjoining state. So, California officers cannot enforce California law on the Arizona half of the river, regardless of registration or residency?that being said, the middle of the lake will have a lot of latitude. Now let?s look at the elements of the CA boater education card:
? It only applies to residents of California regardless of where your watercraft is registered;
? There is a 60 day reciprocity period for nonresidents to operate in CA waters without a card, so if a nonresident watercraft was moored in California waters, (like Havasu Springs Marina) the 60 day period would not begin until it was used or operated.
? Reality check here: to prosecute a nonresident that exceeded the 60 day reciprocity period, an officer would have to document that the person operated in California waters for 60 consecutive days?this task would be almost impossible.
? When the law becomes effective in January of 2018, it only applies to those persons 20 YOA and younger, so there will be a learning curve for all of us.
? Officers must stop you for some other reason before they would be able to ask you for a boater education card. If you believe you may be required to have boater card, taking the course is always recommended and usually takes only 3 hours to complete.
? Arizona?s online boater education course DOES NOT meet the requirements of California?s boater education card requirement because their course covers laws specific to California.

Havasu springs is in az btw

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Maryland has been requiring for about 2 years and their law applies to rentals. The Rental shops will administer the test and get you out on the water same day. I would think the rental companies would want to require this for the safety of their own equipment. I took the Boat US online test prior to heading out there for a vacation. It took awhile but there was some good stuff about buoys that I didn't know. Boat US supplied a certificate that I can show to the CA folks to get my boater card once it is implemented next year.

For all of the talk on RDP about what morons the flat billers, black sockers, lake licers and roll barers are I would think that forcing people to sit down and learn a little bit of education about the world outside of their self obsessed, Coors Light fueled realities would be a welcome and needed change. No agency has said that they would have the power but I don't like the idea of anyone having the ability to revoke a required "license". They HAVE to include rentals. the people with the least experience on the most disruptive craft on the water should have to prove that they can handle the responsibility before taking off from the rental marina at 65 right in front of someone.

No offense meant to anyone who enjoys Coors Light fueled realities...