WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California pluses and minuses

badluck

Reaction score
I’m born and raised 3rd generation SF Bay Area guy. All of my family lives at least 3 hrs away. My wife has a bit of family within a 20min drive. We are about 35 min south of SF and we definitely like it. Although there are definitely some things we don’t like I still have 0 interest in moving out of state. What are the things that make it unbearable for you? The tax rate, the price of gas, the politics, gun laws, homeless, cost of homes and traffic are on top of my list but the weather, proximity to lakes,snow,trails, sand far out weigh the negatives in my mind. We’ve done very well with real estate for middle class blue collar peeps. Maybe I’m blind or stubborn (digging my heals in) but I actually still like it here. I would definitely have a different outlook if I was starting out but as I near retirement(10yrs) I still have 0 interest in moving out of here. We spend our summer weekends May through October at our lake house and winter weekends December through April in the snow. What am I missing? I feel like my kids are getting a leg up on the majority of the kids in the US as they are surrounded by upper middle class(not my working class ass) kids/parents that will be great future contacts for internships that could leed to better chances in a well paying job after college. I feel like the opportunities for them are greater here than pretty much anywhere else in the US. Am I blind or missing something?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I left 40 years ago I work here in Callie but think of our ranch in Utah hourly , calif is a dirty shit hole homeless is crazy and I honestly think it’s going to get worst , our backyard 👍
5ABD9650-870E-429B-BAD9-C49F5261E3F0.jpeg
A447E937-13F4-41E7-8F24-3E0D7B173E1E.jpeg
F0A45D7D-F6CD-48E2-B420-1F751C271E38.jpeg
09264A90-4C1D-4C5D-BC92-A6662C6EF5A5.jpeg
2B625AAD-A4AF-40B0-A674-BD25341AEDC1.jpeg
BB193EBA-406E-43AF-9E49-7844E87F839E.jpeg
22E9D13C-4937-4F0C-9EBD-A860B3A2C126.jpeg
560B82F6-BFED-4074-B47F-FB6B7538FFF6.jpeg

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
I’ve been to the greatest place on earth according to you once in my life.
I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!

what a total Shithole it is!

This is coming from a born and hopefully never leaving California kid (47yrs old now) and San Francisco is by far the worst part of this state I’ve seen! And I’ve been to Stockton Modesto i would pick them over SF Bay Area. My father was born and raised in Logan heights (aka barrio Logan) San Diego and i would rather raise my kids there at least they would be bi lingual.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

badluck

Reaction score
I left 40 years ago I work here in Callie but think of our ranch in Utah hourly , calif is a dirty shit hole homeless is crazy and I honestly think it’s going to get worst , our backyard 👍 View attachment 944671 View attachment 944672 View attachment 944673 View attachment 944674 View attachment 944675 View attachment 944676 View attachment 944677 View attachment 944678
Looks very relaxing. I like it!

Here is my backyard. Definitely not as wide open as yours
6C90690D-E182-42B1-A95E-31403A2B1D03.jpeg

badluck

Reaction score
I’ve been to the greatest place on earth according to you once in my life.
I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!

what a total Shithole it is!

This is coming from a born and hopefully never leaving California kid (47yrs old now) and San Francisco is by far the worst part of this state I’ve seen! And I’ve been to Stockton Modesto i would pick them over SF Bay Area. My father was born and raised in Logan heights (aka barrio Logan) San Diego and i would rather raise my kids there at least they would be bi lingual.
I often work in SF and yes it is a shithole! Literally! My favorite view is the one in my rear view

Reactions: DWC

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I’m born and raised 3rd generation SF Bay Area guy. All of my family lives at least 3 hrs away. My wife has a bit of family within a 20min drive. We are about 35 min south of SF and we definitely like it. Although there are definitely some things we don’t like I still have 0 interest in moving out of state. What are the things that make it unbearable for you? The tax rate, the price of gas, the politics, gun laws, homeless, cost of homes and traffic are on top of my list but the weather, proximity to lakes,snow,trails, sand far out weigh the negatives in my mind. We’ve done very well with real estate for middle class blue collar peeps. Maybe I’m blind or stubborn (digging my heals in) but I actually still like it here. I would definitely have a different outlook if I was starting out but as I near retirement(10yrs) I still have 0 interest in moving out of here. We spend our summer weekends May through October at our lake house and winter weekends December through April in the snow. What am I missing? I feel like my kids are getting a leg up on the majority of the kids in the US as they are surrounded by upper middle class(not my working class ass) kids/parents that will be great future contacts for internships that could leed to better chances in a well paying job after college. I feel like the opportunities for them are greater here than pretty much anywhere else in the US. Am I blind or missing something?

I am 100% with you, blue collar and white trash! live in the east bay, vaca house in the sierras,
no back yard pics at the moment, I do got trees, lots of them.
Retirement next June.
Relocating in summer 2022 after youngest graduates HS, narrowed down to either lake tulloch, Trukee, Arnold or Twain Harte

Did you mention the weather:)

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
If you like it and live a comfortable life there why do you care what anybody else thinks? Everybody has a different idea of utopia. 😊

RodnJen

Reaction score
We should merge this with the Contractors in Lake Havasu thread.

I have no interest in leaving California, even during this. I’m working another 8-10 years so that could change. Our careers are in demand here and we really enjoy our work. The schools in our town are solid with very involved families. We don’t need to send them to private school.

the beach, half hour.
mountains, two
Palm Springs, two
San Diego, two
Havasu, five
San Francisco, two by plane
Countless beautiful road trips from here.

I can grab my golf clubs and walk to a local muni.
Hop on my mountain bike and have miles of trails from my garage.
Dining opportunities are endless. Fresh seafood in every direction.
Have I mentioned the women? I can’t touch but I sure can appreciate.

riverroyal

Reaction score

I have no interest in leaving California, even during this. I’m working another 8-10 years so that could change. Our careers are in demand here and we really enjoy our work. The schools in our town are solid with very involved families. We don’t need to send them to private school.

the beach, half hour.
mountains, two
Palm Springs, two
San Diego, two
Havasu, five

Pretty accurate post....im here until i retire. Then leave

badluck

Reaction score
If you like it and live a comfortable life there why do you care what anybody else thinks? Everybody has a different idea of utopia. 😊
The real estate thread got me thinking. I love real estate. Always fun to look in other areas.

badluck

Reaction score
I’ve snowboarded and water-skied in the same day, without a wetsuit. Tulloch and bear

stevesdcb

Reaction score
3rd generation here also. I left Ca. approximately 3 months ago for all the reasons you listed above. In addition, SAFETY is a big issue to me. As a retired Probation/Parole Officer I’m totally disgusted with how the politicians in Sacramento have released criminals into the community, empowered radical groups like Black Lives Matters, & are not holding criminals accountable for their actions. Born & raised in Sacramento, having worked the streets, I can tell you crime & violence is a lot worse now vs when I was growing up, regardless of what the politicians & their BS statistics say.
Respectfully, you should stay in California since you like it & it works for you. I currently live outside of a town in Az that has a population of approximately 50K, so far I like it, outside of missing all my buddies. Since moving, it’s safer, cleaner, gas is cheaper, taxes are better, live on 2 plus acres, people are nicer, traffic is way better, gun laws are better, homeless is not a problem, weather has been great so far & I don’t have that hypocritical Gavin Newsom telling me how to live my life along with a martial law curfew. Everybody has their own set of values. Never thought I would ever leave Ca. but.......I did.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
If you are wealthy, which it looks like you are, don’t care about freedom or your constitutional rights, CA is great. Once you’ve made your money, have your houses, drop the W2 income, and cruise.

My MIL is the biggest Trump supporter, and whiner about Liberals, but her and her husband are weathly so they’ll never leave Newport. They have their nut so they don’t care about taxes, live in an upscale gated community so they don’t care about homeless, and don’t care about guns. They can’t seem to fathom why we don’t want to spend over a million dollars on a 1500 square foot fixer. I can’t wait to get out of here.

westair

Reaction score

the beach, half hour.
mountains, two
Palm Springs, two
San Diego, two
Havasu, five

you forgot to mention the 40 million people, to me that's the biggest downside to living here. I'm in north county San Diego ..... trying to get anywhere is brutal but some temp relief from covid

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
1) Main reason for us as conservatives was we no longer had a voice in what direction our state went.
2) Taxes
3) Gun laws

We loved the weather and was a big reason we didn't move sooner. After experiencing the rest of the country the weather isn't a big deal. Hardest part was leaving our friends of many years, but they visit us and we plan to visit San Diego next summer unless your turd governor keeps the state closed.

Some may not believe, but I truly feel a lot freer and happier since leaving the state. If you love the state, then please stay.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Stay and fight with your voice. Any where you run to will soon be over taken.
Why give up and give away one of the best Land in the Nation? I lived there 10 years. I didn't move away 20 years ago because of politics.
I paid more than my dues there and then some.
Play them at their own game.
You guys are dealing with Children in Adult suits. Time to play Chicago politics in the Golden State.
I can't say that loud enough.
There is no place left to run!!!! Turn the Focking tables.
Fight Fire with Fire. Better to watch it burn than to give up running away.
This applies to the AZ. Peeps as well. Liberals do one thing, Ruin shit, Burn shit and steal everything they can grab before getting caught while blaming the masses. It is how they do things.
Like it or not, there really is no other option other than to run where they will eventually infiltrate.

On a side note, Look up populations and how they have grown in the State one wants to run too.
When I was born, AZ. had 1 million people. It now has well over Seven Million. In that same time frame California has only doubled from 20 to 40 million. Think about that.
Imagine California with 140 million people.
Am I mean or truthful.

E4L

Reaction score
3rd generation here also. I left Ca. approximately 3 months ago for all the reasons you listed above. In addition, SAFETY is a big issue to me. As a retired Probation/Parole Officer I’m totally disgusted with how the politicians in Sacramento have released criminals into the community, empowered radical groups like Black Lives Matters, & are not holding criminals accountable for their actions. Born & raised in Sacramento, having worked the streets, I can tell you crime & violence is a lot worse now vs when I was growing up, regardless of what the politicians & their BS statistics say.
Respectfully, you should stay in California since you like it & it works for you. I currently live outside of a town in Az that has a population of approximately 50K, so far I like it, outside of missing all my buddies. Since moving, it’s safer, cleaner, gas is cheaper, taxes are better, live on 2 plus acres, people are nicer, traffic is way better, gun laws are better, homeless is not a problem, weather has been great so far & I don’t have that hypocritical Gavin Newsom telling me how to live my life along with a martial law curfew. Everybody has their own set of values. Never thought I would ever leave Ca. but.......I did.

Congratulations brother I’ll have to give you a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your ad here

Reaction score
I feel like the opportunities for them are greater here than pretty much anywhere else in the US. Am I blind or missing something?
You are blind. There is opportunity all over the nation.

bocco

Reaction score
I've got all of the same questions or concerns. I'm third gen in the bay area as well. Grew up in Daly City. Have lived in Livermore for 30 years. I don't like CA politics at all but I'm kind of comfortable here or maybe I'm just used to it. I'm on a three year time line to retire at 67. But that could accelerate if I get really pissed off at work one day.

The wife wants to move to North Carolina. I admit I get a little anxiety over a move that big. I might love it. I don't know.

The real estate prices here are unbelievable. I recently got my mom's house appraised. 3 bedroom tract home 1550 sq ft appraised for almost as much as Lucky Strikes huge place in Florida.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
If I lived in California and did have "The Plan" of leaving some time in the future. The idea I would have is work on an area that Loved and purchase the land and have a Paid for lot, acreage etc. when ready. Plus maybe plant some trees, bushes and landscaping with an irrigation system set up wlong with someone to keep an eye on it for you. I would think moving to a Place that already has nice Mature landscaping already for a build would be great.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I know of 4 families on my street (CA) that have sold their houses and are relocating to Idaho, it's pretty crazy. My career and family are in CA so I think I'll be here for a while. Plus, the older I get the more I love the Socal weather. Ventrura County in a nice spot for me, heck even the traffic has been pretty good with Covid. lol

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Why give up and give away one of the best Land in the Nation? I lived there 10 years. I didn't move away 20 years ago because of politics.
You guys are dealing with Children in Adult suits. Time to play Chicago politics in the Golden State.
This applies to the AZ. Peeps as well. Liberals do one thing, Ruin shit, Burn shit and steal everything they can grab before getting caught while blaming the masses. It is how they do things.
Like it or not, there really is no other option other than to run where they will eventually infiltrate.

On a side note, Look up populations and how they have grown in the State one wants to run too.
When I was born, AZ. had 1 million people. It now has well over Seven Million. In that same time frame California has only doubled from 20 to 40 million. Think about that.
Am I mean or truthful.
I kind of agree with you to the point I abandoned California 31 years ago for a slower pace of life here in Havasu, but the reality is it’s going to happen everywhere. The only way any of this is going to stop is absolute welfare reform, until we stop paying people for doing nothing and paying derelict people to have kids it will continue until we are in a world of total disarray.🙁

propcheck

Reaction score
The good in california is everything people and politics have no control over (such as weather and topography)
Everything else can be done better outside California.
It is not the State that sucks its those in control

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
52 and retired in Oct with a 6 figure pension. My crackerjack size house in Huntington Beach is paid off and I have zero debt. Property take is pretty low as I have been in my house since early 90s. Love my neighborhood and neighbors. I trunked it in Marine Stadium yesterday just as I did in Parker last weekend. Really no reason for me to leave at this point. If you take away my Prop 13 tax base I would be gone in a week.

That all said, my oldest went to school in ND and got a taste of life outside of Socal. She wanted nothing to do with CA after discovering the Midwest. She landed in Idaho when she finished her Masters. So happy for her as she would never be able to afford a life in CA. We helped her with a down-payment on a home in Boise. Her $1000 dollar payment on a 3 bedroom detached home would not get her a studio apartment in Socal.

If I had young kids I would move to another state ASAP. Prior to retirement there were 10 guys that did this at my old shop. Sold their CA homes and moved their families to ID. Unfortunately they still work in CA but our making the sacrifice so their kids will have a better life.

20201120_092158.jpg

Buddy yesterday at Marine Stadium. Even he ditched his drysuit on his second run.

Last edited:

westair

Reaction score

Am I mean or truthful.
not to bad since most of the 7 million in az live in Phoenix metro and Tucson ...... also thankful for the hot summers or there'd be a lot more coming in from ca

HBCraig

Reaction score
I was born and raised in HB. There is not a better place for year round weather. That being said I wouldn't mind moving later on. I have a 17 year old daughter and 15 year old son, both at different high schools.
For their sports we can't leave. They are in softball and baseball. My daughter signed her national letter of intent a few weeks ago to play D1 softball. There is no better exposure for these two sports than socal. But also, my Dad lives 5 miles from me ans my brother is a mile away. Thats all the family I have and I don't feel comfortable leaving now.

badgas

Reaction score
Everyone gets to choose.

I could retire today at 52 "if" I cashed out of primary residence in North OC and used some of the proceeds to bridge me to my 401K/IRA. My 85yr parents live 1 mile away my daughter lives in Encinitas My Son is here in OC both my brothers and families are in OC. Makes it tough to leave, if my kids would follow or lead then I would move out for sure.

Are we blind ?

Depends what we choose to see.

California has 34% of the nations welfare yet we only make up 12% of the US population. We have 27% of the nations homeless population. The real estate prices are so out of touch for young people I'm not sure how they will get a home unless they are making $200,000 + combined. When you think of what is really takes to afford a $700K-$900K home not just make a payment but truly afford it and not lose it the math is staggering. Run a few calculations on how much money you have if you invested all the state income tax you pay here from age 25-65, it is in the millions. IMO the divide is really growing in this state. I only know people who are broke and people who are crushing it no one in between. For the record a $5,000 house payment with $1,200 in auto leases/loans before you even get to feeding kids and paying taxes and utilities is not uncommon at all in OC. You need to make $250,000 just to float in that scenario, That is not winning. This economical piece is the just the beginning.

Not sure what it is like in the Bay Area but here in OC people are SO rat on wheel stressed out trying to make it that don't even know it. We spent 5 days in Havasu last week and in one 45 min dog walk I had more people tell me "good morning" and "have nice day" then I have in the last 4 months at home.

I think we all know what is "really" here but we just chose to accept or deny based on our current life situation.

badluck

Reaction score
You are blind. There is opportunity all over the nation.
I agree there are opportunities all over the nation. However I feel there are far more here. It definitely does not mean my kids will be financially successful. It just gives them a better opportunity. If I raised my kids in the ghetto they could still be successful but there is more opportunity for failure as in more negative influences. I’m not saying California is for everyone it just seems to work for us at this time. Had I been starting life no in California I would probably have a completely different opinion. I’m simply asking what I’m possibly missing as a lot of people are leaving. Unfortunately I feel my people are leaving. Maybe I’m stubborn and not leaving because of some annoying neighbors (politicians)

RodnJen

Reaction score
you forgot to mention the 40 million people, to me that's the biggest downside to living here. I'm in north county San Diego ..... trying to get anywhere is brutal but some temp relief from covid

This is very true, particularly in your area. In CA if you lived in a semi-rural area, that eventually changes to a sub-urban area, or worse. Urban sprawl is real and if you are in the path, good luck.

It seems the infrastructure has a hard time catching up when it comes to traffic and commuting.

My brother has lived in Yorba Linda for over 50 years. He hates what the city has become but it's still home and he's busier than ever with regard to work.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My brother has lived in Yorba Linda for over 50 years. He hates what the city has become but it's still home and he's busier than ever with regard to work.
Id agree with him there.
My parent bought in there around 73-74ish.
On Imperial between La Palma and Orangethorp there was Knoll Wood’s hamburger stand. And nothing else but strawberry fields. It was a completely different place back then.

Edit, I think there may have been a Texaco on the corner.

El Rojo

Reaction score
The ones that run and flee from CA because of politics or the homeless or whatever are the same ones that call out Mexicans or Central Americans for leaving their countries and immigrating to the US...Always saying “why don’t you stay and clean up your own country?” I’m staying in CA and fighting...

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Id agree with him there.
My parent bought in there around 73-74ish.
On Imperial between La Palma and Orangethorp there was Knoll Wood’s hamburger stand. And nothing else but strawberry fields. It was a completely different place back then.

Edit, I think there may have been a Texaco on the corner.
No Canyon Inn..lol :p

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
40 million people in California is a very conservative estimate imho. With rampant illegal immigration to this handout state its likely 50 million people or more living here.

If I leave Cali in the next 5-6 years, here is why:

Politics-
The democrats have set things up to stay in power. I don’t believe that will change in my lifetime. Illegal immigration costs our state in excess of 20 billion per year. Its political because our current political leaders have created this situation and continue to feed this machine with our $$$$$$.

Cost of living:
It continues to rise along with taxes on everything. I can cash out, move to a state where the cost of living is less and have more money to use for fun.

A small percentage of earners (including me) in this state, pay the way for the rest, including; those that don’t do anything or those who are here illegally.

Congestion:
Its packed here in the urban areas and only getting worse. Yes, I know we have many great outdoor attractions, shopping and restaurants but they are always mobbed.

Everyone is always in a hurry to get nowhere fast. This continues to get worse. Frustrated with traffic and crowds, many are stressed trying to accomplish the simplest errand.

badluck

Reaction score
It’s definitely a rat race here. The bay will chew you up and spit you out. People come here for the chance at making a lot of coin. You can make a lot but it’s so expensive to live here that most leave after 10 or less yrs and have accrued nothing other than experience. That’s not how it was when I grew up here, so that’s a definite negative. On the flip side if you own here your values have increased exponentially. I’m not letting the politics move me out of here. Unfortunately the blue is spreading. I try to educate all of the apprentices and youngsters I come across.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
The ones that run and flee from CA because of politics or the homeless or whatever are the same ones that call out Mexicans or Central Americans for leaving their countries and immigrating to the US...Always saying “why don’t you stay and clean up your own country?” I’m staying in CA and fighting...
BS........I don’t call out Mexicans or Central Americans for leaving their countries. I do call ”illegal immigrants“, specially those illegals that have no way to support themselves or come to this country & commit crimes. California supports “illegal Immigration”. More to the point, your California tax dollars support illegals. So......the 2/3 super majority Democrate politicians of California take your tax money, announce that California is a sanctuary state & millions of illegals vote for & support the the Democrate party.......brilliant politics by the Democrate party. The “Hood Winking” steams forward in California.
Before you call me a racist, my first wife was Mexican, I grew up in the culture. Fight on brother......

badluck

Reaction score
I've got all of the same questions or concerns. I'm third gen in the bay area as well. Grew up in Daly City. Have lived in Livermore for 30 years. I don't like CA politics at all but I'm kind of comfortable here or maybe I'm just used to it. I'm on a three year time line to retire at 67. But that could accelerate if I get really pissed off at work one day.

The wife wants to move to North Carolina. I admit I get a little anxiety over a move that big. I might love it. I don't know.

The real estate prices here are unbelievable. I recently got my mom's house appraised. 3 bedroom tract home 1550 sq ft appraised for almost as much as Lucky Strikes huge place in Florida.
I was just chatting with another tradesman on the job. He showed me pics of a place he picked up in NC on lake Marion for 340k. I’m always interested in what else is out there

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

If you listen to Some of these guys, you're totally missing the boat!

everything is proportional. if you move somewhere where you can buy a nice house for 100k, well, good luck earning a living! if you live somewhere where the houses start 1m, clearly there is money there to be had.

ca pluses? when I was younger, id snow ski snow summit in the morning, and be at work by 1pm. i can go trail ride my quads in the pines first thing in the morning, and be floating around my pool by noon. sports are everywhere. dodger/angel games are always fun. i can be at the beach, the mountains and the desert in less than an hours time. good food everywhere. stuff to do everywhere. i can go fishing, hiking, or rip around in my quad! I can do whatever I want.

Then there is the weather...

if you live in San Diego, you are probably in the best weather on the planet. and of course, the weather is what allows the homeless to congregate here! is it a problem? yes. is it my problem? no. they are no where near the places i frequently go.

now since half this board is older than dirt and just waiting to die, is ca a good place to retire? probably no. The taxes are a bit too high to be on a fixed income. But then again, if you HAD a good job, with great retirement planning, you probably don't give a damm! My best friend was a school teacher. His wife was a nurse. Their house is paid off and they Still make about 150k a year. Even Rod would approve of their plan.

So like with anything, life is what you make it to be. If your glass is half empty, it will be half empty no matter where you are at.

Or conversely, half full. ;)