WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California Resident Question - following the rules or not

Taboma

Reaction score
Interesting, as scary as CA is, statistically, you're more likely to die by being shot to death in AZ than you are CA. I haven't carried in 72 years in CA, but sure do in AZ :rolleyes:
Not due to statistics, it's the number of sketchy looking gun packing fucks I've run into offroad and fast food joints in Havasu. 😁

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Interesting, as scary as CA is, statistically, you're more likely to die by being shot to death in AZ than you are CA. I haven't carried in 72 years in CA, but sure do in AZ :rolleyes:
Not due to statistics, it's the number of sketchy looking gun packing fucks I've run into offroad and fast food joints in Havasu. 😁

8B451DEB-3FDF-4476-A1BB-1A0566131380.gif

Taboma

Reaction score

OK the honest truth is, whenever I met and chatted with my ranch neighbors, they were all hip packing, I felt kinda naked standing there unarmed, so peer pressure made me do it. 😁 But, just as truthful, we've run across some seriously sketchy looking well armed good-ole-boys out in the wilds, having that 357 on my hip, does make me a bit more comfy. 👌
But there was the guy in the Havasu KFC in line in front of us, with a 1911 stuck in the back of his pants, looks like he lived in his car and was there to make a withdrawal, and not chicken. Gun was out in my truck, for a moment I regretted not having it, but he did walk out with chicken, not cash. 😁

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread but I bet some of our SoCal natives on here have stories about the risk of crossing the Cali border into Mexico and "forgetting" they have a gun locked in a box somewhere in their truck.... right fellas? This is one major NO NO .... I had a private investigator acquaintance "forget" it was locked in a box under his seat as he crossed back in mid 90s and they found it and seized his truck and through his ass in that sketchy Tijuana jail. Ugly scene for a week.... cost him around $60K all in, had to pay off corrupt lawyers on both sides I was told and scared him for life. Bad idea packing down south.... just another option they have on grabbing money off ya.

77charger

Reaction score
I’m ca I only carried and had readily accessible 511 soft bag combo lock with one digit off loaded mag next to gun. Mostly camp trips or recently with the protest rioters I carried a 10mm in my work truck. In az I forget I can carry loaded and concealed 🤔

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You have a Ford dually....which is significantly more effective and easier to aim than a sidearm....and doesn't require an unobtainable license.

Get two extra points when you run through the protestors! Lol

SoCal_BT

Reaction score
The question as my leo buddies always say friend to friend is , "when's the last time, how likely would you to be, or have you even ever been pulled over and searched"?-

I always have mine in my truck ready and at times I have it concealed. Like my Law Enforcement friends say if you get caught it’s just a misdemeanor. My life and family’s life is worth a misdemeanor. And that is of course if the police charge me. And like you said when was last time you were searched? Act like an ass and you will be treated like an ass... Better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Most friends I have in San Diego carry. It is very difficult to get a ccw in San Diego.

My sons' friend is a chp. Out with them one night I asked about someone illegally carrying. He said essentially what the other poster said above. Just keep the hands visible and tell him you have a gun. His comments were. They need all the help they can get, so if you aren't a criminal then they don't care. He said he would also be interested in what you are carrying because he loves guns. He also stated that most of the other cops he talks with feel the same.

As far as my friends are concerned. It really sucked when they passed certain laws, because they all had to take the stuff to another friends house in AZ.

Yoo are absolutely insane if you tell a cop you are illegally carrying a gun in california..

Just don’t say shit and take the ticket and move on with your life. If they ask to search The car just say “no thanks” and shut up!

boatnam2

Reaction score
Yoo are absolutely insane if you tell a cop you are illegally carrying a gun in california..

Just don’t say shit and take the ticket and move on with your life. If they ask to search The car just say “no thanks” and shut up!
I'm with you.....

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I asked a sheriff's deputy a fairly similar question a couple of years ago, and I will always remember his response.

" dude, if you are a law-abiding citizen that's not a felon, you should be doing whatever you have to do to defend yourself and your family from the shitheads that are all around us. You carrying protection is probably the least of my worries as a cop."

Take it for what it's worth, obviously not all cops are going to feel the same way.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I had a real similar response from a Riverside County DA

Taboma

Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread but I bet some of our SoCal natives on here have stories about the risk of crossing the Cali border into Mexico and "forgetting" they have a gun locked in a box somewhere in their truck.... right fellas? This is one major NO NO .... I had a private investigator acquaintance "forget" it was locked in a box under his seat as he crossed back in mid 90s and they found it and seized his truck and through his ass in that sketchy Tijuana jail. Ugly scene for a week.... cost him around $60K all in, had to pay off corrupt lawyers on both sides I was told and scared him for life. Bad idea packing down south.... just another option they have on grabbing money off ya.

Mid 70's, my buddy and I were camping near Ensenada doing some surfing and partying. Two mex cops came into camp, demanded to search my buddy's truck, found a couple of 22 LR rounds in the glove box --- we had no gun, just those rounds and got hauled off to Ensenada jail and were later release after EACH of us paid a fine. Wasn't even my damned truck !!!
Did a lot of private boat tuna fishing out of San Diego, often in Mexican waters, never carried a shark rifle or gun onboard, another huge no-no.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
We’re only packin because all the sketchy folks coming over from California scare us.😂😝😊

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Buddy of mine always says he "rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

However, I've always followed the rules on it but now have a CCW. It's not that hard to get in San Bernardino county so I just tell my friends to go get it. If by some chance you get caught up and end up with a felony your screwed.

Although I am sure Coivd is making it hard to get the CCW, I need to renew mine but they are not scheduling range time right now.

Taboma

Reaction score
We’re only packin because all the sketchy folks coming over from California scare us.😂😝😊

Wait, so we're afraid of you, because you carry big scary guns, because you're afraid of us, because anybody coming from CA must be crazy ? :rolleyes:

Gets confusing for me, because after being a non-full time resident Havasupian for 25 years, but also being from CA, I scare myself most of the time. 😁

DLC

Reaction score
The only way a cop is going to know your a law abiding citizen ( when your breaking the law illegally carrying) is in court after your found guilt......

77charger

Reaction score

Agree some think most cops are fine with it if your upfront and an outstanding citizen but truth is that number is very low and I wouldn’t take a chance on it.

dribble

Reaction score
True story my girlfriend got a DUI about thirty years ago (right at .10) She had a loaded .357 in the glove box. It was sitting on top of the vehicle registration so she had to tell the cop it was there. He pulled the gun out, unloaded it and put it back in the glove box and locked it. Told her it would be there when she got the car out of impound. It was.

Bajastu

Reaction score
I have a CCW for California and carry all of the time. But up in Laguna Beach, no need to carry. Especially if you plan on having a few beers. If you get pulled over, a DUI and a misdemeanor is a a pain in the ass in the OC. A lot of the cops in that area don’t see much action so they can be dicks when they pull you over. Now if a Riverside or San Bernardino sheriff pulls you over, play it cool and they’ll let you go. There’s a big difference between the Police and a Sheriff in CA. I love both departments but the Sheriff’s are much more down to earth.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
There are Two types of minute men.
I see both types posting.
2A all the way. Fock states that don't believe.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

We have told many cops we are armed when getting pulled over. Probably, 15-20 over the last 20+ years. Never a ticket for anything.

LOL my wife was a fed and always carried. Got out of many tickets.

Taboma

Reaction score
Not to be disrespectful, but just how old are you?

I was going for shock value 😁 I suppose I could have more appropriately stated " I haven't carried in California in my entire life " ;)
I believe that answers your question. 👍

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I was going for shock value 😁 I suppose I could have more appropriately stated " I haven't carried in California in my entire life " ;)
I believe that answers your question. 👍
All this time I thought you were damn near as old as the dirt.😂😂😂

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

This.

I did tell a cop I was carrying in Utah one time. Had to, my registration was in the glove box right next to it!

My son was maybe 10 at the time, and well trained around guns. My son handed it to the cop properly.

The cop ran all the numbers on it, and handed it back to me with the clip out of it, and asked me to keep it that way.

Him...

Are you a LEO?

Nope, just a long way from home.

Yeah you are, what are you doing here anyway?

Riding/camping up at Joe's Valley.

How the hell do you know about that place?

I have friends that live here in Utah.

Slow down and be careful please.

Yes sir. 👍

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
When i lived in Ventura county i had a CCW permit and didn't actually carry as much as i thought i would. one of the things is you can't carry when drinking so that limited me :)
That being said i'm usually not very far from one if needed. just not on me.

Being locked in a safe seems like its defeating the purpose.

richp5

Reaction score
CCW License Holders' Guide For Contacts with Law Enforcement
The Orange County Sheriff’s Department wants Orange County CCW license holders to be informed of the safe and proper way to interact with law enforcement officers while being in possession of concealed firearms.
For CCW License Holders in Vehicles:
  • Remain calm
  • If driving, safely yield, roll down both front windows, turn on interior lights (during hours of darkness), and turn off your vehicle. If your windows are tinted, roll down all windows
  • Do not exit your vehicle unless specifically told to by the officer(s)
  • Keep both hands visible on the steering wheel or dashboard and leave your seatbelt on
  • Once the officer(s) make contact, they will most likely greet you and ask for your identification. Immediately after the greeting, advise the officer(s) you are a CCW license holder and are currently armed
  • Let the officer(s) know where your identification and firearm are located and ask how they would like you to proceed
  • Carefully follow the instructions of the officers
For CCW License Holders in Other Situations
  • Remain calm
  • Respectfully answer all questions
  • If you believe the officer is simply greeting you in passing, you are not required to announce you are an armed CCW license holder
  • If the officer(s) stop and ask to speak with you, or you are detained for any reason, immediately advise the officer(s) you are a CCW license holder and are currently armed
  • Keep your hands open and in front of you. Let the officer know where your firearm and CCW license are located and ask how they would like you to proceed
  • Carefully follow the instructions of the officers
Reporting
Please remember you are required by the license agreement to notify the CCW Licensing Unit of your law enforcement contact within five days. Failure to do so may result in revocation of your CCW License. To Report, email [email protected] and provide a summary of the incident.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I carry no concealed wifey has concealed she carries always I’m in California working I will also run your Ass over if you try and block me . Times Being what they are I don’t bother no one don’t bother me .

DalesSpeed

Reaction score
Buddy of mine always says he "rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

However, I've always followed the rules on it but now have a CCW. It's not that hard to get in San Bernardino county so I just tell my friends to go get it. If by some chance you get caught up and end up with a felony your screwed.

Although I am sure Coivd is making it hard to get the CCW, I need to renew mine but they are not scheduling range time right now.

I’m not sure where you are located, but check out the calendar here: https://applevalleygunclub.com/

They have opened up dates for re-qualifications. You schedule everything online with them.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
No. Can't. No CCW's are given in most city/counties here.

You wil be OK in Laguna Beach

Most of the crooks in Cali reside in Sacramento and they don't use guns to rob you anyway.

dribble

Reaction score
No. Can't. No CCW's are given in most city/counties here.

You wil be OK in Laguna Beach

Most of the crooks in Cali reside in Sacramento and they don't use guns to rob you anyway.

in Sacramento County there are currently over 9000 CCW’s issued. The elected crooks are here as is our third term very pro 2A Elected Sheriff.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
All my friends are LEO, literally when we go on guys trips, I am the only non LEO out of 12-17 guys....they are all on the older side, some close to retirement, they personally support the 2A and wouldn't blink at an honest citizen carrying a gun....BUT every single one of them says that its not them you have to worry about, its young, new to the force cops that they say don't believe in 2A and would absolutely love to throw someone in jail for even a slight violation of their CCW let alone not having one at all. They say that the new generation LEO is a different breed.

charred1

Reaction score
Most friends I have in San Diego carry. It is very difficult to get a ccw in San Diego.

My sons' friend is a chp. Out with them one night I asked about someone illegally carrying. He said essentially what the other poster said above. Just keep the hands visible and tell him you have a gun. His comments were. They need all the help they can get, so if you aren't a criminal then they don't care. He said he would also be interested in what you are carrying because he loves guns. He also stated that most of the other cops he talks with feel the same.

As far as my friends are concerned. It really sucked when they passed certain laws, because they all had to take the stuff to another friends house in AZ.
Not sure about the “it’s very difficult to get a CCW in San Diego” part. I have at least 15 buddies that all got there CCW within the last 6 months. They all come from different walks of life...a few are FFs, construction workers, a couple retired dudes and even a stay at home dad. 2 month process for all them...2 interviews, 8hr online course, 1hr live fire competency test, followed by a final interview. My point being, if you want to get your CCW (especially in SD) don’t believe the hype that it’s difficult....it starts with a simple phone call to the Sheriff’s office.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Not sure about the “it’s very difficult to get a CCW in San Diego” part. I have at least 15 buddies that all got there CCW within the last 6 months. They all come from different walks of life...a few are FFs, construction workers, a couple retired dudes and even a stay at home dad. 2 month process for all them...2 interviews, 8hr online course, 1hr live fire competency test, followed by a final interview. My point being, if you want to get your CCW (especially in SD) don’t believe the hype that it’s difficult....it starts with a simple phone call to the Sheriff’s office.

I should have noted that I left San Diego about 3.5 yrs ago. It was probably 3-4 yrs before that when I tried. No criminal record or any other reason to say no. As I said, wife was a fed and dealt with may bad people.