WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California to Require Half of All Heavy Trucks Sold by 2035 to Be Electric

DunePilot

Reaction score
1680281056279.png

California to Require Half of All Heavy Trucks Sold by 2035 to Be Electric

The state is setting strict limits to try to eliminate carbon dioxide emissions from transportation, the sector of the American economy that generates the most greenhouse gases.

1680281109669.png

Electric heavy-duty trucks during an unveiling at the Port of Long Beach in California last year.Credit...Caroline Brehman/EPA, via Shutterstock

1680281158769.png

By Coral Davenport

March 31, 2023Updated 12:11 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration on Friday granted California the legal authority to require that half of all garbage trucks, tractor-trailers, cement mixers and other heavy vehicles sold in the state must be all-electric by 2035, an aggressive plan designed to clean up the worst polluters on the road.
The pioneering truck rule will go beyond federal requirements, which is why the state needed permission from the administration to enact it. It comes on the heels of an ambitious regulation passed last year by California that requires all new passenger vehicles sold in the state to be electric by the same target year, 2035.

Together, the two moves would propel California to the forefront of the race to eliminate carbon dioxide emissions from transportation, the sector of the American economy that generates the most greenhouse gases.

As the world’s fifth-largest economy, the state of California has tremendous market muscle; its new rules can force changes throughout the automotive industry and spur other states to follow suit. In fact, six other states have already adopted truck rules modeled after California’s new requirement but had been waiting for federal action in order to enforce them.

But some say the mandate that half of all heavy trucks sold be electric by 2035 is so ambitious as to be nearly impossible, given that fewer than 2 percent of heavy trucks sold in the United States last year were all-electric.
The legal waiver from the Environmental Protection Agency allows California to step out ahead of new federal standards on climate warming truck pollution, which the Biden administration hopes to unveil later this year. In December, the E.P.A. announced a new federal rule to cut nitrogen oxide from heavy vehicles, the first time in 20 years that it had tightened tailpipe emissions from trucks.

“This is a moment to mark because it’s a preview of the order of magnitude of the change in the industry,” Gavin Newsom, the Democratic governor of California, said in an interview. “There’s a power in these waivers and that power is emulation. We adopt through these waivers the principles and policies that lead to innovation and investment.”

The Rise of Electric Vehicles​

Lithium Prices: A decline in the price of the essential battery material, along with those of other commodities, is making electric cars more affordable. But experts disagree on how long it will last.

Volkswagen: The German automaker said that it would spend $193 billion on software, battery factories and other investments as it aimed to make every fifth vehicle it sold electric by 2025.

Bulking Up: Electric vehicles are usually a more climate-friendly option. But as they get bigger, their emissions savings, and other environmental and safety benefits, begin to diminish.

Tesla: The company will open some of its fast chargers, which had been exclusive to its customers, to all electric vehicles by the end of next year, the Biden administration said.

California has a history of being at the vanguard when it comes to environmental policy, setting the pace that is often followed by the federal government. The state’s bold new standards for passenger vehicles are helping to shape a federal proposal for national car pollution rules, which could be unveiled as soon as mid-April. The electric truck mandate was approved by the California Air Resources Board in 2020 but needed a waiver from the E.P.A. because it is stricter than federal standards. Image

1680281190576.png

Michael Regan, the E.P.A. administrator, discussed new national clean air standards for heavy-duty trucks in December.Credit...Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

When it takes effect next year, the rule will pertain to sales of trucks ranging in size from delivery vans to big rigs. By 2035, 55 percent of delivery vans and small trucks, 75 percent of buses and larger trucks, and 40 percent of tractor-trailers and other big rigs sold in the state would have to be all-electric.

Prices for electric trucks start at about $100,000 and can reach the high six figures. Buyers, including delivery and construction companies, could get some help from last year’s Inflation Reduction Act, which for the next decade offers up to $40,000 in tax credits to purchasers of all-electric trucks.

Some manufacturers have already positioned themselves to comply. Volvo, which makes tractor-trailer trucks, has set a target that 50 percent of its truck sales would be all-electric by 2030. But a fierce legal fight to undercut the rules is already advancing in the courts. Republican attorneys general from 17 states are challenging California’s ability to enact state pollution standards that are tougher than federal standards. That case, Ohio vs. E.P.A., is set to be heard in the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit later this year. Regardless of the decision in that case, it is expected to be appealed to the Supreme Court.
Requiring manufacturers to sell a certain percentage of electric vehicles is a step beyond regulating pollution from tailpipes, said Steven G. Bradbury, who served as the chief legal counsel for the Transportation Department during the Trump administration.

“If California by regulation can force the automakers and truck manufacturers to change the types of vehicles they produce, that’s effectively going to impose those restrictions on the rest of the nation,” Mr. Bradbury said. “And you haven’t yet got a business case that’s proven in the market that you can actually operate battery-operated heavy trucks and make it viable.”

Truckers said the cost and difficulty of complying with the new regulations would be overwhelming.

“A lot of the California truck rules that have been adopted and enacted recently are starting to push truck drivers out of the state,” said Jay Grimes, director of federal affairs for the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, which represents truckers. “Drivers don’t want to work in California anymore. They’re skeptical of the rapid timeline on this transition to electric trucks. Can a trucker get a charge that will take them on a highway for two or three days? Is the technology ready for prime time?”

Batteries for electric trucks can weigh thousands of pounds more than conventional combustion engines, which would limit the amount of goods that truckers can haul, Mr. Grimes said. Others questioned whether enough electric truck charging stations would be built fast enough to support big rigs on long distance trips.

Drew Kodjak, executive director of the International Council on Clean Transportation, a research organization, said some of those concerns were merited.
“There’s a great deal of challenge with the electrification of heavy duty vehicles,” he said. “But there are elements that lead to optimism.”

For example, he said, for trucking, construction or delivery companies that operate truck fleets, the combination of government tax incentives and savings on gasoline maintenance could significantly add up over time.

“Companies like FedEx look at the bottom line over the total life span of a vehicle,” Mr. Kodjak said. “And when they look long-term, the calculations for this become more optimistic.”

Singleton

Reaction score
If it is only SOLD, the state just F’d themselves. Another tax reduction hit.
Companies will purchase in another state then move to CA when appropriate.

CA wanted to limit Operation to 50%. That would be a kick in the balls for almost all small businesses.

Reactions: t&y

farmo83

Reaction score
I've been doing quite a bit of research into the metal and mining requirements and supply for the energy transition for investment purposes.

it's not pretty, buy industrial metal ETF, wait a few years and ring the cash register.

Your ad here

Reaction score
California government should lead by example... make all government owned vehicles, equipment, water vessel, and aircraft fleets 50% all electric power. Make another law that only electric vehicles can recover electric powered government vehicles.

C08H18

Reaction score
CA has the highest number of charging stations but also has alot of EVs. As a result, CA ranks 49th in availability of charging stations. Where did all those tax $$ they started collecting in '05 get spent? ...not on EV infrastructure.

timstoy

Reaction score
California government should lead by example... make all government owned vehicles, equipment, water vessel, and aircraft fleets 50% all electric power. Make another law that only electric vehicles can recover electric powered government vehicles.
This is what will happen. State tells cities you have to go electric. Fleets install charging stations and equipment. Fleet buys new trash trucks, street sweepers, fire trucks, police and city vehicles. Guess who is going to pay for this?

Your ad here

Reaction score
This is what will happen. State tells cities you have to go electric. Fleets install charging stations and equipment. Fleet buys new trash trucks, street sweepers, fire trucks, police and city vehicles. Guess who is going to pay for this?
Tax payers.
What's shitty about the whole deal is the forced phasing out program and the compliance rules. A natural self phasing out program with no compliance rule should be the program. Take a look around, who is still driving coal and steam powered vehicles and horse drawn buggies other than Jay Leno and the Amish?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

My brother works for a city in Riverside County - Already happening. They are buying Ford Lightnings for their fleet. Ford increased the price on them 2-3 times from order to purchase.

timstoy

Reaction score
My brother works for a city in Riverside County - Already happening. They are buying Ford Lightnings for their fleet. Ford increased the price on them 2-3 times from order to purchase.
The city of Long Beach is also buying the Ford Lightnings, and millions for charging stations and electric support equipment. Plus the cost of the vehicles.

timstoy

Reaction score
How about cleaning up the emissions on all the ships in and out of Long Beach? What? Second busiest harbor in the world?
Some terminals in LA and LB ports have electric connections when the ships are docked. Huge electrical wiring.

Bajastu

Reaction score
So, I work in the heavy equipment industry, and this will never work. Example , let’s say that I have an overweight, over height machine and CHP sets my route. I guarantee that we won’t be routed next to or allowed into a charging station. No station in their right mind would want a 9-axle truck with a 185,000 lb machine sitting in their parking lot to charge. Imagine the rage from the Tesla and Prius owners if we're in the parking lot.

Also a new Peterbilt 567 heavy haul cost is $225,000 with FET and all of the goodies. What will the comparable electric truck cost, 400k ?

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Reaction score
Some terminals in LA and LB ports have electric connections when the ships are docked. Huge electrical wiring.
Ok. So the plug in when docked. What about steaming in and out of the port? How about when they’re on a mooring outside the port?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Also a new Peterbilt 548 heavy haul cost is $252,000 . What will the comparable electric truck cost, 400k ?

That’s the best part.. north of double the cost.

Who does that cost get passed down to?
How long are those batteries going to last?
How much to fix or replace them?

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score

Exactly.

I can see it now, hundreds of Cal Trans workers wearing vests waiting at the charging station just so they can go finish waiting by the side of the freeway while they pay a contractor to do all their work while they watch.

timstoy

Reaction score
So, I work in the heavy equipment industry, and this will never work. Example , let’s say that I have an overweight, over height machine and CHP sets my route. I guarantee that we won’t be routed next to or allowed into a charging station. No station in their right mind would want a 9-axle truck with a 185,000 lb machine sitting in their parking lot to charge. Imagine the rage from the Tesla and Prius owners if we're in the parking lot.

Also a new Peterbilt 548 heavy haul cost is $252,000 . What will the comparable electric truck cost, 400k ?
This is what gets me. States and Government have no idea how their own rules,regulations and laws work My Daughter and her husband also do heavy haul, mostly windmill towers and blades and every thing you stated is true. And is your employer going to pay you to sit while you wait for your truck to recharge! CHP has time limits, what if your trunk needs a charge? As you know you just don’t bust a u turn with a nine axle! A whole new bunch of headaches are heading your way. Good luck!

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score
Something I was thinking since moving to NV. Why don't they allow the Over The Road trucks to haul triples or 28' trailers behind the 48-53' trailers? I understand you could not be driving them through the city streets, but the line trucks traveling the open freeways. You would be moving 1/3 more freight in the same time.

beerrun

Reaction score

And don't forget about the mileage range you would get with that load 😁 maybe a couple 9 axles blocking the hey for 10hrs while a diesel generator has to be brought in might change some minds. And how is this equipment going to get charged on jobsites

spectras only

Reaction score
The city of Long Beach is also buying the Ford Lightnings, and millions for charging stations and electric support equipment. Plus the cost of the vehicles.
As I posted before, the EV Lightning's range sucks. 150 miles when the battery dies. The EV Lightning cost vs base LT model shouldn't be subsidized by local tax payers. Typical government overspend, fuckers.

Reactions: DWC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Something I was thinking since moving to NV. Why don't they allow the Over The Road trucks to haul triples or 28' trailers behind the 48-53' trailers? I understand you could not be driving them through the city streets, but the line trucks traveling the open freeways. You would be moving 1/3 more freight in the same time.
Some things it may work for, others may not. The two immediate setbacks would be weight regulations, and DOT length. Your average driver would not do well at 100ft+ lengths. (Some can't handle 65
these days)

Then you'd have other issues. Most modern dry van trailers are built pretty light. They'd have to be upfit for pintles and air...the required abs systems on new stuff would have to be configured as well. The issues with dropping trailers would require yards outside of urban areas. This is what Australian land trains do. The trailers get separated outside of town, then brought to destination by smaller day cabs. Fuel costs may or may not be any better when figuring in the additional costs incurred, including wear on the heavy pullers.

81Sprint

Reaction score
This is what gets me. States and Government have no idea how their own rules,regulations and laws work My Daughter and her husband also do heavy haul, mostly windmill towers and blades and every thing you stated is true. And is your employer going to pay you to sit while you wait for your truck to recharge! CHP has time limits, what if your trunk needs a charge? As you know you just don’t bust a u turn with a nine axle! A whole new bunch of headaches are heading your way. Good luck!
Shhhhh..... you're just supposed to do it and not question authority. They have it all mapped out 🤣🤣

Bajastu

Reaction score
So this will fix the issue of driving an all electric truck. I just don’t know where to stash the load. Maybe on top of the 2,000 kw generator? 😂
IMG_7600.jpeg

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Some things it may work for, others may not. The two immediate setbacks would be weight regulations, and DOT length. Your average driver would not do well at 100ft+ lengths. (Some can't handle 65
these days)

Then you'd have other issues. Most modern dry van trailers are built pretty light. They'd have to be upfit for pintles and air...the required abs systems on new stuff would have to be configured as well. The issues with dropping trailers would require yards outside of urban areas. This is what Australian land trains do. The trailers get separated outside of town, then brought to destination by smaller day cabs. Fuel costs may or may not be any better when figuring in the additional costs incurred, including wear on the heavy pullers.

They've been running bottom dumps like this in Vegas for years.
On city streets.
California and their antiquated trucking laws.🤪

Dan'l

timstoy

Reaction score
Shhhhh..... you're just supposed to do it and not question authority. They have it all mapped out 🤣🤣
Nissan gave the city two all electric Leafs to try when they first came out. The city used them for parking control. I got several dead battery calls and I had to have the vehicle towed back to Fleet to charge the battery. The Leaf could not hold enough change for a eight hour shift! The Leafs were eventually returned to Nissan.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Exactly, make all government vehicles EVs and only after the government has switched over and used them for awhile to assess their viability on a regular use basis including charging, maintenance, environmental damage from material sourcing, convenience and cost effectiveness. Only then after a non-biased outside party does a full forensic report showing the results are significantly better than conventional ICE powered vehicles should the mandate be made.

Oh, FYI Tesla uses Ford gasoline powered vans for their repair fleet.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Spending time here discussing the many failures of government to understand the impact of their laws is preaching to the choir.

The only way to help those in government understand their ignorance is to make them work for a living by kicking them out of office.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
They should start with all electric for police & fire and see how that goes lol

farmo83

Reaction score
Nissan gave the city two all electric Leafs to try when they first came out. The city used them for parking control. I got several dead battery calls and I had to have the vehicle towed back to Fleet to charge the battery. The Leaf could not hold enough change for a eight hour shift! The Leafs were eventually returned to Nissan.

This was a while ago but my college got a few electric buses. There was a big event for the first trip which from the quad to the student center was basically up a really steep hill. The bus made it about half way and petered out. The University President and the board of regents walked up to the student center. The buses were repurposed onto a flat route.

sirbob

Reaction score
This is probably the deal Elon struck with Gav to bring the Tesla headquarters back to CA.

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score

They've been running bottom dumps like this in Vegas for years.
On city streets.
California and their antiquated trucking laws.🤪

Dan'l
Exactly. I work around the corner from a company called Cinderlight, they sell rock, dirt, and they pull triple roll offs all over. Gas tanker trucks are normally hauling more than 1 tank, through town. All of the LTL company's around here haul the triples and there is nothing special about their trailers. All of the 28' pup trailers have the pintle connections on them. Makes more since to haul more freight behind the same truck. They are doing it all over in other states.

Bajastu

Reaction score

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
The Los Angeles City Fire Department has one in service.

My BIL is LA city fire. He sent me pics of that a few months ago. It’s the joke of the department.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
They’re trying to mandate the technology into existence rather that let the technology come about naturally

That’s because it wouldn’t come naturally. The infrastructure to support something to this degree isn’t possible for the foreseeable future.

When the government has to mandate and/or heavily subsidize it’s your first sign something isn’t right.

Bajastu

Reaction score
Not to change the subject but get a load of this. This unit was in my yard before the Conexpo. I was able to put my head up its skirt to see the inner workings. It’s a Hydrogen powered hybrid wheeled excavator. Hydrogen powers the electric drive that powers the hydraulic motors. Is it the future, maybe? I still think this is a bit far off. After all, there are only like a dozen fill stations in CA. Contractors can’t even keep diesel or DEF filled in a machine yet alone hydrogen.
IMG_7482.JPG

timstoy

Reaction score
Not to change the subject but get a load of this. This unit was in my yard before the Conexpo. I was able to put my head up its skirt to see the inner workings. It’s a Hydrogen powered hybrid wheeled excavator. Hydrogen powers the electric drive that powers the hydraulic motors. Is it the future, maybe? I still think this is a bit far off. After all, there are only like a dozen fill stations in CA. Contractors can’t even keep diesel or DEF filled in a machine yet alone hydrogen. View attachment 1214465
And hydrogen was very expensive a few years ago. The city had a Toyota Mirage in the motor pool and Toyota paid for the fuel for the first two years if I remember correctly. At the time there was only one fuel station in Long Beach. It was close to eighty dollars to fill the tank a few years ago and I can’t believe it’s any cheaper now!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Exactly. I work around the corner from a company called Cinderlight, they sell rock, dirt, and they pull triple roll offs all over. Gas tanker trucks are normally hauling more than 1 tank, through town. All of the LTL company's around here haul the triples and there is nothing special about their trailers. All of the 28' pup trailers have the pintle connections on them. Makes more since to haul more freight behind the same truck. They are doing it all over in other states.
Hauling double, or even triple pups is fine for LTL, and various other runs, but not exactly for dedicated freight or delivery. 2 28ft pups aren't much bigger a footprint for pallet space than a single 53ft.

The biggest thing California would have to deal with is hauling multiple conex boxes out of the state. Right now it's already a pain, as many smaller companies can't or won't haul out of the state. Hauling tandems consisting of two or three 40ft containers would be sigalert central.

rrrr

Reaction score
And hydrogen was very expensive a few years ago. The city had a Toyota Mirage in the motor pool and Toyota paid for the fuel for the first two years if I remember correctly. At the time there was only one fuel station in Long Beach. It was close to eighty dollars to fill the tank a few years ago and I can’t believe it’s any cheaper now!
What should be to no one's surprise, the green sycophants materially misrepresent the suitability of hydrogen as a fuel source for transportation.

Isolating and capturing hydrogen through electrolysis requires more energy than that contained in the hydrogen produced.

Hydrogen is a very small molecule with a low viscosity. This means it's difficult to contain; it can easily leak through threaded connections and past gaskets. Transferring hydrogen from a dispensing station to a vehicle will require cumbersome handling and pressures in excess of 3,000 PSI. Think about the chances that idiot next to you on the road can successfully and safely perform that task.

Hydrogen is also the lightest element. Approximately three times the volume of hydrogen as compared to natural gas is required to produce the same amount of energy. You think EV range sucks? Wait until you're forced to buy a fuel cell vehicle.

There's more, I could go on.