WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks Starting Next Week

WildHorses24

Reaction score
Just had to smog my 2013 E450 Moho this week and the dude said “put it back to stock and put the tuner in a drawer, If I see it I have to fail you!” makes no sense it’s gets better MPG and burns cleaner… AZ non resident reg is more than CA but might be worth it, insurance is definitely cheaper in AZ!

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
1626298059525.png
1626298059525.png

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Just had to smog my 2013 E450 Moho this week and the dude said “put it back to stock and put the tuner in a drawer, If I see it I have to fail you!” makes no sense it’s gets better MPG and burns cleaner… AZ non resident reg is more than CA but might be worth it, insurance is definitely cheaper in AZ!

Double check those insurance numbers to AZ.

Back when I was in the biz most people did get better numbers in AZ than in CA. But about 1/3 of them did not.

attitude

Reaction score
Good thing I still have Mav/02 censors and stock injectors lol

LazyLavey

Reaction score
"If you live in California and run an aftermarket tune on your car, you might want to think about flashing your ECU back to stock before heading out for your biennial Smog Check."

I was always temped to try a test while tuned but never did... Curious if it would have passed

Oh... for the record, I do not have a modified tune....:eek:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
"If you live in California and run an aftermarket tune on your car, you might want to think about flashing your ECU back to stock before heading out for your biennial Smog Check."

I was always temped to try a test while tuned but never did... Curious if it would have passed

Oh... for the record, I do not have a modified tune....:eek:

It would have passed if the OBD rediness tests weren’t disabled.

grumpy88

Reaction score
We have a gps unit that is inline of the obd2 on our company vehicles and it will not connect to the smog machines in Nevada . Should get interesting in ca

dspracing

Reaction score
I’m confused because I thought this was the purpose of the STAR test all along? My boss has some modules on his car and failed, had to see a ref.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I’m confused because I thought this was the purpose of the STAR test all along? My boss has some modules on his car and failed, had to see a ref.

Well of course they are slow to adopt all that crap. Many Smog people told CA to F off because they were forced to buy new equipment to stay in business.

Same thing happened to my friend on his last smog. Had an older tune on his Mustang Cobra, smogged fine for a decade. This last year they failed him because the readiness tests were disabled in the tune. Had to go to the ref and was told that part of the test is a new “feature”.

Reactions: DWC

dspracing

Reaction score
Well of course they are slow to adopt all that crap. Many Smog people told CA to F off because they were forced to buy new equipment to stay in business.

Same thing happened to my friend on his last smog. Had an older tune on his Mustang Cobra, smogged fine for a decade. This last year they failed him because the readiness tests were disabled in the tune. Had to go to the ref and was told that part of the test is a new “feature”.

So in reality it appears that they have implementing this policy sometime this year buts it’s making news and becoming official now?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I am still skeptical that the new system can pickup changes in parameters, that are never hit during the smog test
i.e - it sits there at idle and is scanned.

Whats it gonna measure? Grams of airflow at idle?
The 02 sensors will sit there and switch at Stoich as designed, tune or not.

I think the problem comes in when you segment swap ECM's or run calibrations that screw with the OS and leave an imprint.

I guess we'll see - who here has a GM vehicle running factory ECM, that has been tuned with HP Tuners or EFI LIve?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So in reality it appears that they have implementing this policy sometime this year buts it’s making news and becoming official now?

Sounds like this is another “feature” to see if the tune file in your car is an approved one by the MFG. My understanding was that this was not checked before.

• Wow

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I am still skeptical that the new system can pickup changes in parameters, that are never hit during the smog test
i.e - it sits there at idle and is scanned.

Whats it gonna measure? Grams of airflow at idle?
The 02 sensors will sit there and switch at Stoich as designed, tune or not.

I think the problem comes in when you segment swap ECM's or run calibrations that screw with the OS and leave an imprint.

I guess we'll see - who here has a GM vehicle running factory ECM, that has been tuned with HP Tuners or EFI LIve?

I think this has nothing to do with emissions and just uses the technology the dealers use to see if the car has been flashed and in turn void your warranty, or perhaps it is just comparing a checksum in the OEM file or something.

PlanB

Reaction score
If you flash the ECU back to a stock tune but still use the same tuner to change tire size I wonder if it will still show the after market tune?

dspracing

Reaction score
Sounds like this is another “feature” to see if the tune file in your car is an approved one by the MFG. My understanding was that this was not checked before.
I don’t think it’s MFG approved, it would be CARB approved, right?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If you flash the ECU back to a stock tune but still use the same tuner to change tire size I wonder if it will still show the after market tune?

Great question, and for the modern stuff I’d guess no because usually that is in the transmission controls. Although those tuners are technically not legal.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s MFG approved, it would be CARB approved, right?

The car is already federally smog approved and CA smog approved with the tune that is in it.

But MFGs do revise tunes for a number of reasons. And I don’t believe they go back through the emissions process when that happens.

A given car in a given model year could have a variety of tune files in it depending on options, when it was made what TSBs were out for it, etc.

Any modifications to the engine need CARB approval, yes.

sintax

Reaction score

I see where you’re going with this.

So in theory if they have the ability to unlock your ecu they could hash the ecu bin and compare that hash value to that of known good “factory hashes”. At least that’s how I’d do it.

Down side is, they have to 1) be able to unlock every ECU, and 2) know every possible ecu version, for every car...

I’m 99% sure most car companies would not grant the CARB the keys to the castle to unlock their ecu. While there are a ton that are able to be unlocked, the factory does have a vested interest in keeping them locked.

Interesting story none the less.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

So in theory if they have the ability to unlock your ecu they could hash the ecu bin and compare that hash value to that of known good “factory hashes”. At least that’s how I’d do it.

Down side is, they have to 1) be able to unlock every ECU, and 2) know every possible ecu version, for every car...

I’m 99% sure most car companies would not grant the CARB the keys to the castle to unlock their ecu. While there are a ton that are able to be unlocked, the factory does have a vested interest in keeping them locked.

Agreed. I think this story is partial clickbait, because we know on some cars the dealer can’t even tell if it has been messed with. That is changing on newer cars though.

dspracing

Reaction score
The car is already federally smog approved and CA smog approved with the tune that is in it.

But MFGs do revise tunes for a number of reasons. And I don’t believe they go back through the emissions process when that happens.

A given car in a given model year could have a variety of tune files in it depending on options, when it was made what TSBs were out for it, etc.

Any modifications to the engine need CARB approval, yes.

They are on high alert following the VW situation. There is no way CARB would allow ANY new tunes that would effect the vehicles emissions to be released without testing and authorization. Oh you passed the first round of testing?!?! here’s a hall pass to do whatever you want. Yeah right!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
For you gearheads.....

Tried to order a camshaft lately and ship to your house in CA?

Texas Speed won't ship it. Brian Tooley Racing wont ship it.

Everyone is throwing in the towel on shipping aftermarket engine components to CA, even though they could be used in a boat, a racecar, etc.

It's getting ridiculous.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
CA is fuxxed if you want so many things. Lead? no. Solvent? no. My frustration today is trying to buy REAL waterseal for a redwood fence.

All I can get is the shit water based products in L.A. I tried one and it did not last a year.

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure what tunes will or won’t get you in trouble. I imagine they’re out for specific tuner brands.

I have a 2006 Dodge Cummins 5.9. Has a Banks Six Gun System on it.

The Banks tuner is supposed to be CARB compliant, or was. I know for fact because Banks used my truck to certify CARB compliance back in 2012.

Reguardless, I wouldn’t want to leave it up the smog tech. Guess I’ll be detuning and pulling my monitor before my next smog 😕

BTW, unless you have a turbo or charger, most OBD tuners can’t offer much other than accelerate the curve of the throttle position sensor to make you ‘feel’ like the vehicle has more power…
And adjust tire size, remove speed limiter, maybe trans tunes on newer vehicles, mostly basics.

J

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
For you gearheads.....

Everyone is throwing in the towel on shipping aftermarket engine components to CA, even though they could be used in a boat, a racecar, etc.

It's getting ridiculous.

When I bought exhaust for my Harley I had to have Vance and Hines ship them from California to Arizona to my Havasu address. They even freaked out a little because my AmEx bills to a California address. Made in California but can't buy them in California.

Meaney77

Reaction score
For you gearheads.....

It's getting ridiculous.
Sounds like I am fucked!

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
For you gearheads.....

It's getting ridiculous.

I haven't had any trouble. Just know which option to select. :) This is from Summit btw.

Cal smog warning.jpg

cakemoto

Reaction score
For you gearheads.....

It's getting ridiculous.
My buddy just did a cam in his dodge diesel.he had to ship it here to az.

78Southwind

Reaction score
I have one of the original "Super Chips" for my 2000 7.3 Excursion. It's kind of hard to believe but it has an EO number (so it's supposed to be legal). I have smog checked the Excursion for years with it tuned. I have never had a problem except for when Covid hit I had to take it to US Smog Check because the place I had been taking it to was only working half days on Fridays. I don't know what the guy was doing but he said that he had tried two times to get it to pass smog and if it failed again it would lock up his machine. Then he started talking to me about sending me to a smog referee.🏳️‍🌈💩🏳️‍🌈 I told him just forget I was ever here.

On Monday I went to my usual place and bam I was done, no problems...:cool:

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Sounds like I am fucked!
People are getting parts, just have to have the right suppliers. And shops / re-sellers that have accounts with these companies can get stuff sent to CA on their account. But it's getting hard for "nobodies" (DIY guys) to order stuff and have it shipped to CA. Sellers say its not worth the risk, CARB is going after everyone and its' a liability they don't wan't to deal with, if they sell something like a camshaft to somebody who drops it into a smog-legal registered street vehicle and gets busted

76sanger

Reaction score
Pretty F-ing sad that the mecca for hot rodding of any kind and any vehicle basically started in Nazifornia-errr-California. This is such a minor thing that with the very very low percentage of cars, trucks, motorcycles that are flashed compared to just regular vehicles within the state that are not. It is a non issue at all. Did they need to clean up the air pollution in the late 60's, 70's, 80's hell yes, it was horrible. But its done! The USA is one of the cleanest countries in the world! These These gaping A-holes want to "control" every aspect of life for you ,me, us in the name of environmentalism. Freedom, no we just keep giving it more and more away.

outboard_256

Reaction score

I think you can read an locked ecu just not make modifications. So they would be able to see what you have and see if its factory or carb compliant but not make any changes to your system. Then its a matter of figuring out if its legal or not, I am not sure how hard that is to do.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I think you can read an locked ecu just not make modifications. So they would be able to see what you have and see if its factory or carb compliant but not make any changes to your system. Then its a matter of figuring out if its legal or not, I am not sure how hard that is to do.
I wonder if someone will make an inline obd2 blocker. Like a fake ecu tune.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They are on high alert following the VW situation. There is no way CARB would allow ANY new tunes that would effect the vehicles emissions to be released without testing and authorization. Oh you passed the first round of testing?!?! here’s a hall pass to do whatever you want. Yeah right!

it’s an interesting questiion. Ford has cam phaser reflashes for instance to address a TSB. I don’t know if they have to go through the entire emissions process again

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
The state is also randomly flagging VIN's of commonly modified cars and requiring you go to the referee. My Z06 vette was due for smog and the renewal said to take to a STAR Smog as usual.

When the smog guy scanned in my VIN he said I have been flagged for the referee. He said its happening frequently now to Camaros, Vettes, Mustangs, WRX etc. This state is out of control with their ever increasing regulations on everything people enjoy.

Sadly most of the properly tuned cars are burning cleaner than half the shit boxes on the roads of California.