WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

...Calling All RDP Knee Experts???..,

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...What am I looking at ...All I know is at times the pain is excruciating???...
...Had an x-ray and an MRI today... I guess the next step is to talk to an orthopedic doc...anybody have any recommendations on a really good knee doctor...I am in North Hollywood since my place in Berry Creek is still a pile of ashes...

4E9F95AF-E039-4D33-9D41-77992A81F365.jpeg
87DFC3F9-FFCC-4F2C-8543-F9B713EFCB9D.jpeg
E4F8571C-60BA-4E90-80EA-184B646757E4.jpeg
463EE00E-B1C2-4AE2-817C-221BF88C1750.jpeg
View attachment 944413 View attachment 944414 View attachment 944415 View attachment 944416

lbhsbz

Reaction score

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Oh that’s all I need on top of all my other problems ...but hey thanks..,

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
I have had numerous knee surgerys in my 20's and 30's to Total Knee Replacement in my 60's,
I have use and I can recommend any of these guys.
LA Area,- James E. Tibone, MD (USC), or Newport Beach, (Newport Orthopedic Institute - Alan Beyer, M.D and/or David S. Gazzaniga MD)
Best of Luck.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
...Oh that’s all I need on top of all my other problems ...but hey thanks..,

The reason you’re having excruciating pain is because of the bone on bone action. If you put your foot down and hold it in place and twist your body to the left or right on that leg you’ll hear all kinds of crunching going on. Osteoarthritis too. When it comes to a point where your quality of life suffers just doing regular daily things, it’s time to see a orthopedic surgeon. The surgery nowadays are so routine and successful.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I have had numerous knee surgerys in my 20's and 30's to Total Knee Replacement in my 60's,
I have use and I can recommend any of these guys.
LA Area,- James E. Tibone, MD (USC), or Newport Beach, (Newport Orthopedic Institute - Alan Beyer, M.D and/or David S. Gazzaniga MD)
Best of Luck.
...Thank you very much...

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
The reason you’re having excruciating pain is because of the bone on bone action. If you put your foot down and hold it in place and twist your body to the left or right on that leg you’ll hear all kinds of crunching going on. Osteoarthritis too. When it comes to a point where your quality of life suffers just doing regular daily things, it’s time to see a orthopedic surgeon. The surgery nowadays are so routine and successful.
...Well I guess now is when I start doing my research on the surgical procedure... the big problem that I have is from two cervical spine surgeries and the damage to my spinal cord ...I have so many other indications from the spinal cord damage that I’m not too sure I could deal with the knee surgery???...I guess that’s something to talk over with the ortho???..,

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Ventura Orthopedics in Simi Valley.
5 Star ratings from all patients.
I'm going through the same thing now.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Are those images with actual vertical pressure on the knee or is that in a relaxed position for ex-rays?
Real question.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your medial compartment is trashed. I don’t see enough of your lateral compartment to make a calL. I had a unicompartmental replacement of the left medial in 2014 and had a unicompartmental replacement of the right knee 2 weeks ago. If your doc thinks a “uni” is an option, go for it because it lets you retain all of your “stock” ligaments. When I had my left knee done, I ran a 5K 10 weeks after surgery. I am 16 days post surgery on the right knee and I have been off crutches for a week. A “uni” is what NFL linebackers get and they continue their careers. At 195lbs, I don’t think I’ll ruin mine on Spartan runs.

rrrr

Reaction score
...Well I guess now is when I start doing my research on the surgical procedure... the big problem that I have is from two cervical spine surgeries and the damage to my spinal cord ...I have so many other indications from the spinal cord damage that I’m not too sure I could deal with the knee surgery???...I guess that’s something to talk over with the ortho???..,

Willie, you've read about my fucked up knee replacements. I have chronic pain and mobility issues, take boatloads of pain meds, and can't do shit anymore. You have experienced some of the same BS with your back.

But listen to what I have to say. In addition to the bone on bone, you have significant arthritic growth on the bearing surfaces of the knee. That significantly adds to the pain and mobility problems.

Knee replacements are miracles 99.999% of the time. I had a highly recommended doctor, and he turned out to be an incompetent idiot. Don't be afraid to get it done. Find a doctor that knows what he's doing. Ask to contact some of his patients for results. You will be amazed at the improvement in your mobility, and be very happy you had the surgery.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Knee replacement used to be total mutherfuckers... now not so much. "I should have done this years ago" is what I usually hear from people that have it done.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I had mine repaired and Neil came highly recommended, I have total white coat fever, he made it very easy, surgery Friday and walking no crutches on Monday. http://www.drneilmd.com/

River Runnin

Reaction score
The big question now is? Are them dictators allowing knee and replacement surgeries? Not in Havasu! No elective stuff yet!

satellitemike

Reaction score
I am in the "same boat" and scheduled an appt to talk about stem cell therapy this Wed, I'll update after the consult.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
... I have not seen it yet so I don’t know???...
Don't go off what the report says,the people running the machines don't know shit, take that cd to a doctor and have them interpret. I have been fighting for years for back surgery, because of what one of them aholes put in the report.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I highly recommend the Southern California Orthopedic Institute in Van Nuys. Dr. James Fox who is now retired was one of the top knee surgeons in the world is who always worked on my knee and who ever his replacement is I assume is top shelf as well.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
That No Elective Surgery at this time comment is perhaps valid for many hospitals. Best to look into that.

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Southern California Orthopedic Institute in Van Nuys. Dr. James Fox who is now retired was one of the top knee surgeons in the world is who always worked on my knee and who ever his replacement is I assume is top shelf as well.

X2, my son had back surgery at SCOI when he was 18 (football injury) he’s 100% today. Family friend is also on the Board.

Or, Kerlan Jobe, I had 2 ACLs done there.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
SCO Van buys has helped lots of my friends.
My personal ortho is Tarek Bitar in Valencia. Did all my knee stuff and wife's shoulder. No BS straight up type. Wouldn't let anyone else cut on me.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Willie, you've read about my fucked up knee replacements. I have chronic pain and mobility issues, take boatloads of pain meds, and can't do shit anymore. You have experienced some of the same BS with your back.

But listen to what I have to say. In addition to the bone on bone, you have significant arthritic growth on the bearing surfaces of the knee. That significantly adds to the pain and mobility problems.

Knee replacements are miracles 99.999% of the time. I had a highly recommended doctor, and he turned out to be an incompetent idiot. Don't be afraid to get it done. Find a doctor that knows what he's doing. Ask to contact some of his patients for results. You will be amazed at the improvement in your mobility, and be very happy you had the surgery.
... I just woke up and I’m trying to process all of this information...I definitely remember all of your knee stories and the pain meds and all that... I’m right there with you ...I was getting relief by cruising ground with my neighbor sightseeing for a few years well now even driving can be miserable???...Maybe we should have CDS T-shirts made up... CAN’T DO SHIT ...

sirbob

Reaction score
Food for thought...

Choose an implant based on your age -

A poly insert works good for older folks - but it will wear out in 10-15 years and need to be redone.

A metal on metal is popular but creates micro metal shavings that cause some people problems in their blood later on (metal dust gets absorbed - you will see on redos a lot of black tissue).

A ceramic load bearing surface is great and avoids the issues of the others but its expensive.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Had a partial 3 years back BEST money spent ever , got a local Doc thats a knee surgeon rock star (his boats in the shop too) Three f*kin years of "injections" pain meds , Now I kick ass do it

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I had multiple orthopedic knee surgeries at Kerlan Jobe. When full knee replacements were recommended, I too used Dr. Hernandez from Southern California Orthopedic Institute, who did both my surgeries. He uses computer charting to confirm 100% accurate alignment. I recommend highly, plus he has a bad ass car collection.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Food for thought...

Choose an implant based on your age -

A poly insert works good for older folks - but it will wear out in 10-15 years and need to be redone.

A metal on metal is popular but creates micro metal shavings that cause some people problems in their blood later on (metal dust gets absorbed - you will see on redos a lot of black tissue).

A ceramic load bearing surface is great and avoids the issues of the others but its expensive.
...Wow so much input from the forum members... thanks everybody ...

...SirBob thanks for your technical input...I could be mistaken...but are you not in the medical instrument field???.,,

sirbob

Reaction score
...Wow so much input from the forum members... thanks everybody ...

...SirBob thanks for your technical input...I could be mistaken...but are you not in the medical instrument field???.,,

Yes - I have had a number of clients that sold those different types.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Yes - I have had a number of clients that sold those different types.
Huge thank you for your input... I am scheduled to see an ortho surgeon on Wednesday his reviews are good except for when people get pissed off that they have to wait too long for their office appointment ...I have no intentions of him doing anything... this is just a consultation ...but with your input about the different knee replacement types...it will give me some ammunition or at least I will be able to communicate with this doctor on a somewhat elevated level...I hope???...

LuauLounge

Reaction score
My wife had hers done last year, she’s 73.
Two weeks after was Xmas eve and she was on her feet for 8 hours straight. A relative had hers done the day after my wife’s. She needed help moving around and still is having issues almost a year later. We know 5 people that have had their knees replaced by Dr Howell and all have had the same positive experience. Lots of info on his website.

Www.Drstevehowell.com

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Have you contacted Grads? He's got lots of experience with knees. Being on them, that is...

rrrr

Reaction score
... I just woke up and I’m trying to process all of this information...I definitely remember all of your knee stories and the pain meds and all that... I’m right there with you ...I was getting relief by cruising ground with my neighbor sightseeing for a few years well now even driving can be miserable???...Maybe we should have CDS T-shirts made up... CAN’T DO SHIT ...

I don't want you to be frightened by my experience. Techniques have changed, and the outcomes are successful in almost every case. Everyone I've talked to that's had a TKR in the last five years has said their lives are 100% better.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I had my Knee partially replaced 3 years ago this coming January. USC Dr Gilbert. I highly recommend Dr G and USC. It was by far the best place I've been for sugary and Dr G is really really good. Pre and post surgery was incredible. I am very happy I went through with this, haven't missed a beat. I went in at 7 am and by 2 that afternoon they had me walking up stairs, one of the stipulations in oder to be released. 10 days later I was done with rehab and back to regular life. I train 5 days a week at a tri athlete type workout program here in my town with 0 knee problems now. If I do a double workout in a day sometimes it will swell just a bit but really no complaints to speak of. Last year I assisted my wife in her MT Whitney climb, 0 issues. If you're a runner be prepared to possibly give this up. Dr G suggested to find an alternative, I now bike more.

Here's some suggestions. If your over weight try and shed some before surgery. After surgery ice the shit out of it, I mean like 5-6 times a day and dont stop for at least 5 weeks after, helped me huge. Can't remember the name of the ice machine I had, cold therapy? it worked killer, fill it full of ice and water wrap your knee and plug it in. Start rehab as soon as your ready, I suggest 3-4 days after. Range of motion is a bitch, hurts but got to do it.

When I had my knee done word was they were 5 years away from re developing natural Cartledge, maybe check into this also. Good luck.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Mother nature did a good job designing the human body except for the knee.
Torn Meniscus damage can't be repaired, just treated to control pain.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Just one word of caution, which was never explained to me. Once you have a total knee replacement, you will never be able to go down to your knees again. I have Stryker components, and my own patella (kneecap) is shaped to contain the hinge at the knee. If you go down on one knee to do home repairs, or take a one kneed shooting stance, those days will be over. You will snap your patella in half, so please take this into consideration before replacement. Since I still have pain after surgery, I still need one Celebrex pill a day for knee pain, along with a 20 MG Omeprazole, to combat excess stomach acid. Bottom line, hold off as long as possible because afterwards,you will be scooting along on your ass because you won't be kneeling afterwards.

rrrr

Reaction score
Just one word of caution, which was never explained to me. Once you have a total knee replacement, you will never be able to go down to your knees again. I have Stryker components, and my own patella (kneecap) is shaped to contain the hinge at the knee. If you go down on one knee to do home repairs, or take a one kneed shooting stance, those days will be over. You will snap your patella in half, so please take this into consideration before replacement. Since I still have pain after surgery, I still need one Celebrex pill a day for knee pain, along with a 20 MG Omeprazole, to combat excess stomach acid. Bottom line, hold off as long as possible because afterwards,you will be scooting along on your ass because you won't be kneeling afterwards.

When I put weight on my knees, it causes large red spots and bleeding. There isn't anything good about my TKRs.

But Willie will be good. I am an outlier.

johnnyC

Reaction score
my wife had them do both knees and she doesn't have any problems with them hers were done in their office in Bakersfield they are the best around! i would go to them with out worry!

AEA

Reaction score
[/QUOTE/

This is not true for everyone. My brother had both knees done at the same time, total joint replacement. He has been able to kneel or crawl for many years on his.