WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Camaro sales banned in Ca and Wash

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
2021 Chevy Camaro car sales have been banned beginning 2021 in Ca and Wa because of minute amounts of copper in brake pads . Welcome to the new world order

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Ya know, this is fitting karma. Didn’t GM just drop their suit against CARB. Lol.

Taboma

Reaction score
Any with Brembo brakers, SS, ZL1 & 1LE --- and the fish gave a standing ovation 👏👏

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
SS, 1LE, and ZL1, basically any that have the Brembos. Cars on the lot can be sold, but none can be sold for 2021. Is this a penalty of some sort? If not just change out the pads by the dealers when they hit the lots. Love mine, stupid reason to hault sales.
gnt8NS46QYqHfjTCJhmV9g.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
SS, 1LE, and ZL1, basically any that have the Brembos. Cars on the lot can be sold, but none can be sold for 2021. Is this a penalty of some sort? If not just change out the pads by the dealers when they hit the lots. Love mine, stupid reason to hault sales.
View attachment 950444

Oddly from the articles it seems as if Chevy is simply stating they'll be back in 2022 with a re-design of the brakes. I thought it strange they couldn't come up with an alternative pad compound, or didn't seem willing to.

Reactions: DWC

HitIt

Reaction score
I realize that this is unreasonable on many levels but it would be awesome if GM would just say, "Fine, fuck you, actually, we are going to pull all of the cars from CA. Have fun assholes."

Taboma

Reaction score
Before everybody starts shooting liberals over this ---- This one is on Arnold
Either way, Chevy knew this was coming, so had plenty of time to get it right.

Brake pad-1.JPG

Brake Pad-2.JPG

Taboma

Reaction score
I realize that this is unreasonable on many levels but it would be awesome if GM would just say, "Fine, fuck you, actually, we are going to pull all of the cars from CA. Have fun assholes."

Do you suppose a certain demographic might re-migrate south without their chebbies 🤔 😁

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
If you want one just buy it out of state and drive it in?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
What a crock! My truck was in the shop last week, Enterprise rental says we have 2 cars left a minivan or a Camaro, I’ll take the Camaro was surprised it was an SS, it was a fun week!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
So does this mean I need to stock up on brake pads for my vehicles? will all the brake pads in California now be quadrupled the price of 49 state pads because they have a CARB number on them?
Anybody have any experience with soy-based friction material?

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
And you can only have ten sets. Straw purchases are also forbidden.

So does this mean I need to stock up on brake pads for my vehicles? will all the brake pads in California now be quadrupled the price of 49 state pads because they have a CARB number on them?

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score

According to this article, most manufacturers have it handled.

Copper free brake pads.JPG

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
According to this article, most manufacturers have it handled.

View attachment 950518

Yep, we (Centric) are 2025 compliant with current and new production. Copper was difficult to replace, but possible.

Not quite sure why GM didn’t make Brembo (likely Pagid/Textar) use a different formula, but they’re certainly available. We have them in stock.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yep, we (Centric) are 2025 compliant with current and new production. Copper was difficult to replace, but possible.

Not quite sure why GM didn’t make Brembo (likely Pagid/Textar) use a different formula, but they’re certainly available. We have them in stock.

In 07' I bought a new GMC Sierra Denali, the brake pads on that truck were like nothing I'd ever experienced prior or since. They essentially lasted forever and created almost no visible dust, yet they were certainly capable stoppers. Any idea what's up with these magic brake pads, or are all GMCs like that now ?

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
Copper is banned so they go with another material that's new and before long that will be banned too. Then the brakes don't work as well being compliant to the new regulations. So lower the speed limit, but it doesn't matter anyway because there is so much traffic all that anyone needs is stop and go brake pads.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Vegan brakes?

TimeBandit

Reaction score
That explains why I found a few closeout $5.00 range brake pads on RockAuto.com they could not ship to Commifornia.

I tried to order DeWalt wire brushes on Amazon for my grinder, same story... can't ship to Newsomland. (Lead solder holding wires)

No problem, I have a NV address for such problems.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
So some of you prefer your aki sushi with that hint of copper aftertaste ?? 🤢 😁
Hell, they stopped copper boat bottom paint over 25 years ago, because it was killing the things you didn't want on your boat bottom ( The point was it not ? ) so honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
In 07' I bought a new GMC Sierra Denali, the brake pads on that truck were like nothing I'd ever experienced prior or since. They essentially lasted forever and created almost no visible dust, yet they were certainly capable stoppers. Any idea what's up with these magic brake pads, or are all GMCs like that now ?

Do a search for “adherent” posted by me...I’ve discussed it at length before. akebono (the Oe pad supplier in this case for GM) absolutely fucking nailed it on the formula. Overly simplified, material at the molecular level transfers back and forth between the pad and the the rotor and we have very little material loss, or wear.

jet496

Reaction score
Hold it. I just bought a bunch of copper bullets a few months ago because it's illegal to hunt with lead in CA. What the hell?

Dettom

Reaction score
So, you can have pennies and copper wiring but not brake pads? That place is more fucked up than I thought..

DLC

Reaction score
Don’t worry Camero HI breads can be sold.... thats the only thing that matters.

All the people shitting on the sidewalks won’t buy one anyway

OkHallett270

Reaction score
Seriously though, why the hate on copper? What was the govenator trying to accomplish here?

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Seriously though, why the hate on copper? What was the govenator trying to accomplish here?

Was actually chatting with a customer today in OR or WA about this. He said that there is a slough nearby the shop that used to have tons of salmon running in years past. They somehow started counting the fish at some point in the last 10 years, and last year a grand total of 6 salmon ran upstream. Something is causing it, and someone thinks it contaminated runoff, so they're doing whatever they think is necessary to fix it....copper dust from brake pads being one of those things. I don't know if it has any merit. The local gov has gone so far as to mandate filters on all storm drains, which get clogged easily so every time it rains the parking lot floods. I forgot all the other stuff he told me they were doing, but it doesn't sound like they're fucking around.

dribble

Reaction score
Looks to me like they’ve had eleven years to figure this out.

The Hazardous Materials: Motor Vehicle Brake Friction Materials was approved by the Office of Administrative Law (OAL) and filed with the Secretary of State on September 30, 2016. These regulations went into effect on January 1, 2017:

The governor of California approved Senate Bill 346 on September 10, 2010 and enacted Health and Safety Code (HSC) sections 25250 et seq. The statute, commencing on January 1, 2014, prohibits the sale of any motor vehicle brake friction materials containing specified constituents in amounts that exceed certain concentrations. The statute allows, until December 31, 2023, motor vehicle manufacturers and distributors, wholesalers, or retailers of replacement brake friction materials to deplete their inventory of noncompliant materials. Commencing on January 1, 2021, the statute prohibits motor vehicle brake friction materials containing more than 5.0 % copper by weight from being sold in the state, and, commencing on January 1, 2025, prohibits motor vehicle brake friction materials exceeding 0.5% copper by weight from being sold in the state. DTSC is responsible for implementing this statute.

The following documents were submitted to OAL for approval and filing with the Secretary of State on 9/30/16: