WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Campbell 1977

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Good timing,, a friend of mine called, I met him when I worked at Gale Banks in the late 70's, and then rebuilt his Banks 850 turbo engine for him when I worked at Rex Marine in 1981. I think his 20' Campbell is a 1979 model, it's been sitting in the garage for the past 10 years. He wants to bring it down soon and have me check it over and then water test it.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Good timing,, a friend of mine called, I met him when I worked at Gale Banks in the late 70's, and then rebuilt his Banks 850 turbo engine for him when I worked at Rex Marine in 1981. I think his 20' Campbell is a 1979 model, it's been sitting in the garage for the past 10 years. He wants to bring it down soon and have me check it over and then water test it.

So you noticed the Banks option on the lower right of the last page?

What would you expect that option to cost in today's money?

Carl

obnoxious001

Reaction score
So you noticed the Banks option on the lower right of the last page?

What would you expect that option to cost in today's money?

Carl

I was trying to figure out if that was an add on price,,, still seemed a bit low even for then. The photo shows a single radiator intercooler,, normally not used for the higher horsepower engines when I worked there, and claims it to be 797 HP.

If I recall,, the "850 HP" blueprinted turbo engine with Carrillo rods and Arias pistons was around $11,000 in 1979. The marine LS 6 engines were costing us around $1700 each, and usually came in in quantities of 50 or more. The "650 HP" engines were simply the factory engine with it's forged crank, 7/16" rods, and forged 8.8-1 compression pistons with the supplied 990 iron heads.

It's really hard to guess a "today" price, since no one is making a comparable turbo kit that I am aware of,, but at least double, perhaps $25K-$30K

lebel409

Reaction score
Tell me more about the Whaler...I always liked the open bow, shallow V...seems like a great play boat, 1/2 pontoon 1/2 ski boat...

Did they ever make a hipo version? Maybe 4 stringers and a lighter layup?

RyanPartridge

Reaction score
D'Cucci has the 22 and 24 whaler molds right now.

I think they just made a brand new 24'.

obnoxious001

Reaction score
Tell me more about the Whaler...I always liked the open bow, shallow V...seems like a great play boat, 1/2 pontoon 1/2 ski boat...

Talk to Mike King,, think he had one some years ago.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out if that was an add on price,,, still seemed a bit low even for then. The photo shows a single radiator intercooler,, normally not used for the higher horsepower engines when I worked there, and claims it to be 797 HP.

If I recall,, the "850 HP" blueprinted turbo engine with Carrillo rods and Arias pistons was around $11,000 in 1979. The marine LS 6 engines were costing us around $1700 each, and usually came in in quantities of 50 or more. The "650 HP" engines were simply the factory engine with it's forged crank, 7/16" rods, and forged 8.8-1 compression pistons with the supplied 990 iron heads.

It's really hard to guess a "today" price, since no one is making a comparable turbo kit that I am aware of,, but at least double, perhaps $25K-$30K
so Banks doesn't make marine turbo engines anymore? kinda sucks. i guess the money is so thick in diesel trucks they dont want to bother?

obnoxious001

Reaction score
so Banks doesn't make marine turbo engines anymore? kinda sucks. i guess the money is so thick in diesel trucks they dont want to bother?

I think it's been ages since they would even talk to anyone on the phone about their old marine turbo stuff. There was a cool "Banks" exhibit at the NHRA museum for at least a year, not sure if it's still there. I didn't realize they did R&D marine turbo engines for the military after I had left there.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Here's my friends 24 whaler. Supposedly this is the plug boat. First one made. :thumbsup

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
That is a beautiful boat! :thumbsup

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

Not sure if theres any hot rod 24's. I know it would take a ton of power to get them to move.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Not sure if theres any hot rod 24's. I know it would take a ton of power to get them to move.

Dave Kahn had a blown 24 cruiser that would run close to 90 mph. Joey Cucci is finishing a 24 whaler (same colors as your friends) with a 502/502 v-drive that should run well into the 60's.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Dave Kahn had a blown 24 cruiser that would run close to 90 mph. Joey Cucci is finishing a 24 whaler (same colors as your friends) with a 502/502 v-drive that should run well into the 60's.

The one I posted the pic of is a v-drive. Has a LS6 in it with a velvet drive. I think it might run 55. They aren't the fastest things on the water but it sure is cool. :thumbsup

Gelcoater

Reaction score
impretty sure they made an even bigger whaler.years back i was doing a boat for Cheeta Bob,[he was renting space at the Campbell building]and there was a big whaler in there,twin,twin turbo smallblock V drive deal.not sure what size it was,but seemed bigger than 24. It had woodinlayed front floor with inlayed perimiter lighting, a beer tap,a full party float:thumbsup

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
impretty sure they made an even bigger whaler.years back i was doing a boat for Cheeta Bob,[he was renting space at the Campbell building]and there was a big whaler in there,twin,twin turbo smallblock V drive deal.not sure what size it was,but seemed bigger than 24. It had woodinlayed front floor with inlayed perimiter lighting, a beer tap,a full party float:thumbsup

It's a 28'. Was called the BWWGGF (Boat Which Will Get Gary Fired). When Bob and Judy (owners of Campbell) went to Europe for an extended vacation, Gary (VP of Campbell) built this boat. I rode in it years ago and think that it was powered by 351 Holman Moody's (vdrives).
It's for sale on the Campbell Owners Website, can't remember the $.

Carl

Went and looked. Was finally named "Green Limousine" (white and lime green trim). Was repowered with twin counter-rotating 350 SBC's EFI'd and for sale at $45K.

Pretty sure that this boat would be RD's perfect Keys to Foxes runner...........I think it was USGC approved for 18 or 20 peeps!

Havexico

In a world of no rules..
Reaction score
This was my Grandfathers (in pic) that he had made in 69 or 70.. He had a 454 built by the Unser race team...(still have the motor). Lots of great memories as a kid..

Campbell.jpg

sleekcraft80

Reaction score

A friend of mine "Dave Basham" has a shop in San Bernardino. He was the head engine builder for Gail Banks for 16 years. He does marine turbo systems. The name of the shop is BMS Machine

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
I had a 20 superwailer that i restored about 10 years ago. probably the best all around boat ive ever owned. i will try to post some pix.:thumbsup

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Hey Carl, I found this in an old magazine while cleaning out my desk. :thumbsup

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Very cool Wheeler......looks like the early 'overnighter' that Billy and Bobby did. Was a 22'r (pre 24'r which was Campbells most popular boat). Was said that the design criterion was pretty simple......be able to go to Catalina, spend the night, return the next day and have a ride smooth enough to NOT spill martini's on the way over or back.

:D

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Very cool Wheeler......looks like the early 'overnighter' that Billy and Bobby did. Was a 22'r (pre 24'r which was Campbells most popular boat). Was said that the design criterion was pretty simple......be able to go to Catalina, spend the night, return the next day and have a ride smooth enough to NOT spill martini's on the way over or back.

:D

Here is the other half of the page, old stuff is cool! :thumbsup

Rickybobby

Reaction score

Been a few years since this post, but what ever happened with this deal ??? Any pics of the boat ??

rrrr

Reaction score

Necropost alert! In 1979 I bought a 26' Sleekcraft Ambassador direct from the factory, Nescher didn't have any dealers in the Houston area. It was a jet with a Harmon 440.

I took it out to Lake Somerville shortly after driving to LA to pick it up. I was feelin' mighty important with that big boat, a mile of top deck accented in woodgrain.

A couple of guys in two Spectra 24's pulled alongside and we took off in the Big Race. I was feeling pretty good about my 52 MPH top speed when both of these guys put the hammer down and left me.

Turns out they both had Banks turbo kits... :D

On Monday morning I called Banks and got Gail on the line. He quoted me a price of $11,000, so your memory is good. My boat cost $16,000 new, so spending that much more was out of the question as you might imagine.

I used an inflation calculator on that number, in today's dollars it's right around $36,500.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Necropost alert! In 1979 I bought a 26' Sleekcraft Ambassador direct from the factory, Nescher didn't have any dealers in the Houston area. It was a jet with a Harmon 440.

I took it out to Lake Somerville shortly after driving to LA to pick it up. I was feelin' mighty important with that big boat, a mile of top deck accented in woodgrain.

A couple of guys in two Spectra 24's pulled alongside and we took off in the Big Race. I was feeling pretty good about my 52 MPH top speed when both of these guys put the hammer down and left me.

Turns out they both had Banks turbo kits... :D

On Monday morning I called Banks and got Gail on the line. He quoted me a price of $11,000, so your memory is good. My boat cost $16,000 new, so spending that much more was out of the question as you might imagine.

I used an inflation calculator on that number, in today's dollars it's right around $36,500.

Small world...that Nesher building that cranked out Nesher flat bottoms and later Sleekcrafts is about a half mile down Santa Fe Springs road from my house.

kenny nunez

Reaction score
I have a 75 Cuddy that was rebuilt in 95. It is probably one of the only ones east of the Mississippi. Great for Lake Pontchatrain and rivers. OH SO SHY on the Campbell site.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Damn it Carl.........every time I see this thread I think of the fact that I graduated from Campbell High School in 1977 :D

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I don't see the brochure. I have one I want to post but don't want to duplicate.

Go head and post it.

It was either during a server upgrade or when RDP switched from the old forum software to it's current version, but a lot of the pictures disappeared.